• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Legends Arceus announced (3D open world pokemon game)

Kumomeme

the footage clearly shows the game still far off in development. they still has around a year to polish things up.

also personally i dont mind much. this is the 'gateway' for future open world pokemon games. the thing is, they finally did it. this is first step and will be base for future. whats important is they need to nail the open world gameplay element aspect. then they can improve visual on next entry later. their past pokemon game always has similliar gameplay element with bit improved visual that slowly added bit by bit at each entry. i dont want to expect more of gamefreak at this point, knowing how their game always is. so just expect something reasonable within their 'usual' output.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Funny I watched it on my phone and I was looking at the comments here thinking "what's all the fuss about? It looks great!"

Then I watched it on my PC........... wow yeah that looks really rough.

What resolution even is it? less than 540p?

supernova8

Banned
You are having expectations and hopes. Stop, you will be disappointed.
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Kumomeme

You are having expectations and hopes. Stop, you will be disappointed.
LMAO reread my comment please. not that hard.

just stated this footage not represent final. they can improve the iq a bit thats all. but the rest..reread my post.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Pokemon has involuntarily been turned into a social experiment about confirmation bias and Stockholm syndrome. I hope some sociology or psychology researcher is studying this shit, I know I would.

If this game had been shown for ANY other even slightly relevant franchise, it would have already been bashed into the ground and minced to atoms by fans and onlookers alike.

Instead, on YT it has an overwhelming positive rating, on Reddit posts saying this is the best thing ever to happen to Pokemon are tens of thousands of votes in the positive, and every criticism of any kind is immediately swept under the rug by dozens of people under the guise of "Bu-but they are at least doing something different!".

This is scary. Legitimately scary. It's the ultimate proof that hundreds of thousands of people, most of which in their late teens or older and a lot grown-ass adults, will completely shut down their critical thinking if they are pre-conditioned strongly enough to accept something as good, even something as apparently trivial and optional in their lives as a video game.

This franchise has officially transcended quality judgement and traditional market offering, it's now for all intents and purposes a decentralized cult of personality.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
LMAO reread my comment please. not that hard.

just stated this footage not represent final. they can improve the iq a bit thats all. but the rest..reread my post.
Well, the last time with sword and shield people aslo had hopes there would be improvements, but there werent.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Yeah who doesnt love rehashes and no innovation paired with graphics that look like they are from a 15 year old machine?

And Nintendo / Pokemon fans bending backwards for them, just proves that they dont need to innovate or use talent for this franchise.
You, I’m guessing

Hugare

Pokemon has involuntarily been turned into a social experiment about confirmation bias and Stockholm syndrome. I hope some sociology or psychology researcher is studying this shit, I know I would.

If this game had been shown for ANY other even slightly relevant franchise, it would have already been bashed into the ground and minced to atoms by fans and onlookers alike.

Instead, on YT it has an overwhelming positive rating, on Reddit posts saying this is the best thing ever to happen to Pokemon are tens of thousands of votes in the positive, and every criticism of any kind is immediately swept under the rug by dozens of people under the guise of "Bu-but they are at least doing something different!".

This is scary. Legitimately scary. It's the ultimate proof that hundreds of thousands of people, most of which in their late teens or older and a lot grown-ass adults, will completely shut down their critical thinking if they are pre-conditioned strongly enough to accept something as good, even something as apparently trivial and optional in their lives as a video game.

This franchise has officially transcended quality judgement and traditional market offering, it's now for all intents and purposes a decentralized cult of personality.
Sounds like you figured out about what happens with every Nintendo game released this generation

I'm glad that you've seen the light, my friend

Sounds like you figured out about what happens with every Nintendo game released this generation

Every other Nintendo game released this gen is legit good though. BOTW despite weapon breaking, Mario Odyssey, and of course the various Wii U rehashes like Mario Kart and Smash were already good. Nintendo has released genuinely good product this gen and it's stupid to pretend otherwise.

Vae_Victis

Banned

Most Nintendo games are objectively fine. Yeah, you can argue they have issues, and fans will defend them, but there is at least something to defend.

I can't even begin to imagine looking at this and thinking "Yep, there's definitely a lot of good things I'm seeing here".

Hugare

Every other Nintendo game released this gen is legit good though. BOTW despite weapon breaking, Mario Odyssey, and of course the various Wii U rehashes like Mario Kart and Smash were already good. Nintendo has released genuinely good product this gen and it's stupid to pretend otherwise.
My post was provocative, but I was also very serious about it

I think that BOTW is CRAZY overrated. A good game, but not the game that people think of it. I also think the same of Mario Odyssey (Galaxy 1 and 2 are much better), Animal Crossing (not much has changed from past games, tools degradation is terrible, lack of QoL features in general) and the list goes on

They are fine, but way overrated imo, while selling some crazy numbers

That's totaly my opinion only and I respect who thinks otherwise, but yeah, Nintendo has been lacking, and not showing me otherwise for quite some time.

Last edited:

Mozza

Well, the last time with sword and shield people aslo had hopes there would be improvements, but there werent.

Thing is Gamefreak did clean up the visuals from the early reveal of Pokemon sword and shield, it's just some shady people continuing to show the original footage to confirm their point of view, I admit not a massive difference, but still it looked better.

Areiz

Banned
Thing is Gamefreak did clean up the visuals from the early reveal of Pokemon sword and shield, it's just some shady people continuing to show the original footage to confirm their point of view, I admit not a massive difference, but still it looked better.
Sword and Shield are made in UE4?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Looks rough, but I appreciate them doing something different for once.

PotatoBoy

This post is legitimately hysterical and dumb so let me try and bring you back to Earth (can you imagine yourself giving this explanation of a competitor's success in a business meeting? "bu bu it's a cult of personality!!" You'd be fired.)

The difference between pokemon (even more than other nintendo franchises) is that the IP completely transcends the games, so the fans care about the IP regardless of the games' quality. This leads to this "at least it isn't total shit" type of response you're talking about.

An analogous comparison would be dragon ball Z. The games are almost always crap, but when they reach the level of "decent" fans go wild. As a DBZ fan I'd much rather play Budokai 3 than any Tekken game, because it brings so much pleasure to get to experience my beloved IP in "acceptable" form.

A contrasting example would be Starcraft. Nobody gives a flying shit about Starcraft outside of it being an awesome game, because Blizzard is a horrible steward of its IPs and can't achieve any level of "emotional consistency" with its fans like Pokemon can. So once a game is either bad or no longer respects the IP, people stop caring and the IP is totally dead. See Starcraft 2: good game, but it raped the IP, so that whole franchise is dead.

Mario and Zelda are in between Pokemon/DBZ and stuff like Starcraft/TLoS/GoW/whatever AAA multiplat. They have some emotional weight to their IPs but they absolutely do not transcend the games. If Nintendo made 3 absolutely crappy mainline mario games in a row that disrespected the IP (think "Advance Wars: Days of Ruin") the franchise would be dead in the water.

In summary, if you have to explain what is happening here to an adult, this is how you do it: "Game Freak can release low-quality pokemon 'games' because they have always respected their IP and their fans' attachment to the IP with every release, even if the game itself is objectively of relatively low quality. The emotional bond a pokemon fan has to the IP means they are much more forgiving of flaws in the actual software."

Respect your IPs!

Vae_Victis

Banned
This post is legitimately hysterical and dumb so let me try and bring you back to Earth (can you imagine yourself giving this explanation of a competitor's success in a business meeting? "bu bu it's a cult of personality!!" You'd be fired.)

The difference between pokemon (even more than other nintendo franchises) is that the IP completely transcends the games, so the fans care about the IP regardless of the games' quality. This leads to this "at least it isn't total shit" type of response you're talking about.

An analogous comparison would be dragon ball Z. The games are almost always crap, but when they reach the level of "decent" fans go wild. As a DBZ fan I'd much rather play Budokai 3 than any Tekken game, because it brings so much pleasure to get to experience my beloved IP in "acceptable" form.

A contrasting example would be Starcraft. Nobody gives a flying shit about Starcraft outside of it being an awesome game, because Blizzard is a horrible steward of its IPs and can't achieve any level of "emotional consistency" with its fans like Pokemon can. So once a game is either bad or no longer respects the IP, people stop caring and the IP is totally dead. See Starcraft 2: good game, but it raped the IP, so that whole franchise is dead.

Mario and Zelda are in between Pokemon/DBZ and stuff like Starcraft/TLoS/GoW/whatever AAA multiplat. They have some emotional weight to their IPs but they absolutely do not transcend the games. If Nintendo made 3 absolutely crappy mainline mario games in a row that disrespected the IP (think "Advance Wars: Days of Ruin") the franchise would be dead in the water.

In summary, if you have to explain what is happening here to an adult, this is how you do it: "Game Freak can release low-quality pokemon 'games' because they have always respected their IP and their fans' attachment to the IP with every release, even if the game itself is objectively of relatively low quality. The emotional bond a pokemon fan has to the IP means they are much more forgiving of flaws in the actual software."

Respect your IPs!
I don't understand if you agree with what I wrote, but for some reason the fact I didn't do a full analysis of how we got here triggered you, and you are trying to retell the same concept in an expanded and "nicer" way - or if you don't agree with me and are saying this as an alternative theory. But no matter how you want to put it, my point stands:

see very obviously bad game -> say game is actually awesome and no one is allowed to criticize it = detachment from reality

I don't care if you "love the IP" or if GameFreak "respects the IP", how is that a justification for calling a square a triangle?

I really like the Warhammer Fantasy Battles IP (also outside of video games), yet if I see a terrible WHFB game my reaction is still going be "Damn, that looks like a bad game".

The next stage of descent into darkness is usually "Yeah, I know it's probably not great and I can see why people say that, but I'm gonna force myself to like it because it's that IP".

Third stage (terminal) is what we have here with Pokemon.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

If you showed me this trailer back in 2004 I would still meh at the graphics...

I swear gamecube pokemon games were more beautiful look wise, gamefreak can't deliver tech wise.

I am kinda glad I am only interested in pokemon showdown nowadays.

PotatoBoy

I don't understand if you agree with what I wrote, but for some reason the fact I didn't do a full analysis of how we got here triggered you, and you are trying to retell the same concept in an expanded and "nicer" way - or if you don't agree with me and are saying this as an alternative theory. But no matter how you want to put it, my point stands:

see very obviously bad game -> say game is actually awesome and no one is allowed to criticize it = detachment from reality

I don't care if you "love the IP" or if GameFreak "respects the IP", how is that a justification for calling a square a triangle?

I really like the Warhammer Fantasy Battles IP (also outside of video games), yet if I see a terrible WHFB game my reaction is still going be "Damn, that looks like a bad game".

The next stage of descent into darkness is usually "Yeah, I know it's probably not great and I can see why people say that, but I'm gonna force myself to like it because it's that IP".

Third stage (terminal) is what we have here with Pokemon.

You missed the point and WHFB is a perfect example of a company not respecting the IP, unlike game freak.

Pokemon games have been the same shit since we started. Some better, some worse. The difference is that if you like pokemon, and the company never belittled or betrayed you for liking pokemon, you are going to keep buying more pokemon shit, even if it is only marginally more interesting than the last thing you got.

WHFB is more like my starcraft example. GW belittled you, made your plastic armies obsolete, made up a bunch of new lore to appeal to people who are younger and dumber than you. You liked Mordheim? GW says fuck you. You liked Warhammer Quest? GW says fuck you, buy a new one every two years that's shallower and less customizable than the one you had in the 90s. Luckily for GW they've pulled off dumping you for new customers, Blizzard by contrast totally shat the bed, so it's not quite the same.

In any case, what's happening with Game Freak is simply different. They are consistently and thoughtfully curating a very valuable brand, and happen to lack the talent/motivation to make very good video games.

And you're right, you "triggered" me because your original post was hysterical and wrong, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're trying to make an accurate point and not just type random emotive shit into your computer.

Are there actually still people who think Pokemon isn't a franchise aimed at children and the level of effort is commensurate with the target market?

I see this meltdown every time a new Pokemon anything is announced and I don't get it. Does the grown adult segment of the Pokemon fanbase hate itself that much? Give it up already, nothing is going to change ever because you are literally not the target market. I would be shocked if the grown adult segment of the fanbase was even 5% of the total player base, the other 95% are the children the franchise is actually sold to.
Just because something is made for children doesn't mean adults shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it too.

And more to the point, just because something is aimed at children, doesn't mean it should be able to be some low-effort garbage. The Legend of Zelda was made for kids, Super Mario is made for kids, but as games they sit lightyears ahead of what Pokemon has become in this day and age. For a franchise that is so hilariously profitable, owned largely by a company that has historically created very high quality experiences for children and grown-ups alike is frankly diabolical.

Low-effort garbage is low-effort garbage, irrespective of who its aimed at. People have every right to criticise garbage when they see it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you showed me this trailer back in 2004 I would still meh at the graphics...

I swear gamecube pokemon games were more beautiful look wise, gamefreak can't deliver tech wise.

I am kinda glad I am only interested in pokemon showdown nowadays.

That's your nostalgia talking.

Here's some reality:

db4w8f1-4e4f30bd-93e3-4e86-98e9-9ab18bd8c480.jpg

kiphalfton

Looks empty.

I guess people are going to get what they want, if they want it to be just like BOTW.

Seriously though, I applaud Nintendo for trying something new. This is the direction I think a lot of people were expecting for Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Looks interesting, hopefully a switch pro or something comes out. Console is starting to show age at only 3 years old. Games looking quite rough you really notice the switch’s limited capabilities with the new hyrule warriors game, game drops frames constantly
People blame the hardware, but it honestly depends on each developer, Switch won't ever have as much power as Play Station or Xbox(even with a Switch pro) , but games like FE Three Houses, the Pokemon remakes, Pokemon Sword/Shield look awful even by Switch standards.

The same Switch can push the likes of BotW, Dragon Quest, Astral Chain and Luugis Mansion.

carlosrox

Banned
My pussy doesn't bleed over videogame graphics actually, and I love 4k60 as much as the next guy.

Nor do I whine about games being "garbage" (cept sports games) cuz I can't think of any actual criticisms.

Nice try tho.

Last edited:

Fake

My pussy doesn't bleed over videogame graphics actually, and I love 4k60 as much as the next guy.

Nor do I whine about games being "garbage" cuz I can't think of any actual criticisms.

Nice try tho.

I not only love your posts, but your mix of insults and backtrack. Display a high level of insecurity. Relax kid.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Doesn't the fact that they chose to make this a spin-off title tell you everything you need to know about their confidence in this one?

mcjmetroid

Also diamond and pearl remakes?
Shudder.

Ok seriously fuck diamond and pearl..

but at least they're attempting something new with legends.

I have a sad feeling they're not going all out with this though.

This is the game that should have been sword and shield but they chose to make this a spin-off title and not a main entry despite seeming much more ambitious than their usual quality output.

To me it screams non-confidence. A test game if you will.. a game where if it fails.. oh well it's just a spin-off.

Top Bottom