• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company is “having conversations” about how to ensure the quality of future games under its frequent release schedule, it’s said.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Pokemon-Scarlet-Violet-sailing-1280x720.jpg

The Pokémon Company is “having conversations” about how to ensure the quality of future games under its frequent release schedule, it’s said.

The Pokémon Company has a long history of publishing new video games often: only seven years in the last 27 have not seen a new mainline release.

In 12 months leading up to Scarlet and Violet’s release last November, three major Switch titles were released (including Legends: Arceus and Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl).

However, the series’ cadence appears to have caused some quality issues during the HD era. At release, 2019’s Sword & Shield was criticised for poor visual quality, while last year’s Scarlet and Violet launched with many technical issues, which Nintendo even apologised for.

Speaking at the Pokemon World Championships in Yokohama, Japan, this weekend, The Pokémon Company COO Takato Utsunomiya was asked by ComicBook.com if there was a specific schedule that the Pokémon brand was beholden to when it came to the release of new Pokémon games.

Labadal

How is the newest game performance wise?

I have been eyeing it, but haven't really followed developments after release.

Robb

Gold Member
Thank god, the fact that we have something like Xenoblade/Zelda/The Witcher 3 etc. all running on Switch while Pokemon both looks and runs like this:
7dc.gif

, is ridiculous. That mill in the background can’t be running at more than a single frame per second.

How about spending some of the fucking money they earn and putting some of it into GameFreak. For being the developers behind some of the best selling video games of all time they sure don't seem like a studio full of talent and skill. Game Freak come out with Scarlet/Violet ... is that really the best they can do? Sure, giving them more time would help but that's patching over the cracks. There are indie developers and small studios that can put GameFreak to shame. GameFreak should be making AAA titles

Invest in GameFreak and maybe even set up another studio to help them or work separately kinda like how the CoD games work. One year you get a game by one studio then the next game is by the other studio. But nah, that makes too much sense and would cost money so fuck that lol.

Last edited:
Is that player seriously riding that Pokemon like a jet ski?

Oldmancloud.gif
When I saw that you ride the pokemon like fucking bikes I actualled lol'd. What the hell is that all about?

iu

Only a retard would say Scarlet and Violet are polish.

Probably the most bugged game in the Pokemon series history.
I know, right? They are japanese

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Scarlet is Violet is by far the worst product they ever released in terms of basically everything. It sells alot because its Pokemon, but in the moment Gamefreak launchs a game that is not Pokemon, things changes drastically. I think this is even impacting the popularity of Worlds championship.

I say Pkmn company and Nintendo should unite forces and kick Gamefreak for good. Theres alot of good devs that are ages ahead of Gamefreak.

Last edited:
Scarlet is Violet is by far the worst product they ever released in terms of basically everything. It sells alot because its Pokemon, but in the moment Gamefreak launchs a game that is not Pokemon, things changes drastically. I think this is even impacting the popularity of Worlds championship.

I say Pkmn company and Nintendo should unite forces and kick Gamefreak for good. Theres alot of good devs that are ages ahead of Gamefreak.
Pokemon Company is owned by Nintendo/Game Freak and Creatures. I don't think it's possible to kick Game Freak out.

Saber

Gold Member
Pokemon Company is owned by Nintendo/Game Freak and Creatures. I don't think it's possible to kick Game Freak out.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo owns the exclusivity side of deal(meaning it can only launchs on Nintendo plataforms) while Gamefreak owns the development side of the deal.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo owns the exclusivity side of deal(meaning it can only launchs on Nintendo plataforms) while Gamefreak owns the development side of the deal.
Makes sense.

but I guess we need to know where the money goes and the reason why GameFreak are making low quality games. It's not as simple as ditching GameFreak and hiring a better studio. I think it's silly to have Game Freak doing all the main titles. They could still do development but they should think about licensing out the games to other studios to work on.

Kamina

Golden Boy
How is the newest game performance wise?

I have been eyeing it, but haven't really followed developments after release.
Inconsistent, but honestly not at all a big deal for me. I was hesitant too and didn’t buy it when it released due to the negative reviews on performance and graphics, but jumped in the other day. No regrets.

Shut0wen

Not gunna i actually feel bad for gamefreak, literally worked on that monster hunter clone pokemon game, remake diamond and then the mainline series, all 3 games came out within 12 months and violet was the game that suffered, its actually alot better to play now, does have its fps dips but its actually a good game since you have freedom to start at any gym

Shubh_C63

I...don't understand TPC. Being the biggest name out there with unlimited money do they not hire people anymore ?

Is TPC a family run mafia thing that new young people who know their shit about game making isn't allowed.

supernova8

Banned
I bet those "conversations" go something like this:

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

Vince Mcmahon Money GIF

Respect Me Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

Back on topic though:
It's hard to tell who actually has the power when it comes to decisions about the mainline Pokemon games. The Pokemon Company (TPC) is a joint venture between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures. I cannot find any evidence for who owns what stake. It could be an equal three-way split but not sure.

Considering how polished Nintendo first party titles are (and their willingness to delay games a lot if they don't meet quality standards), I'd like to believe that Nintendo isn't the one forcing Game Freak to put out this annual garbage.

Bottom line is that they keep putting out this shit because people keep buying it lol. Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It doesnt matter how bad the Pokemon games are and look, their extreme fans are the worst kind of stupid and will buy whatever shit they put out. inb4 someone on gaf gets triggered by this.

Last edited:

Woopah

Remember when SE said "HD Towns are hard?

It looks like Gamefreak is struggling with the jump to HD that other studios went through a decade ago, but also deciding to stick with a release schedule from the SD era so they can align with the multimedia efforts.

They need to slow down.

Makes sense.

but I guess we need to know where the money goes and the reason why GameFreak are making low quality games. It's not as simple as ditching GameFreak and hiring a better studio. I think it's silly to have Game Freak doing all the main titles. They could still do development but they should think about licensing out the games to other studios to work on.
IlCA did the last remakes and they still weren't great. They need to give their projects more money and time.

Sleepwalker

Makes sense.

Pokémon is owned by "The pokemon company" which in turned is owned by

- Nintendo 32%
- GameFreak 34%
- Creatures 34%

With that in mind, the mainline games can only be developed by gamefreak and only exclusively for Nintendo Hardware. The hold up is not Nintendo being able to give it to someone else, its that gamefreak are co owners of the IP and would need to sign on it, which they probably wont ever want to do as its very easy money for them to put out turds that sell 20m+ yearly.

Creatures handles merch and TCG.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Makes sense.

The reason Nintendo doesn't mess with GamesFreak is because they came up with the whole thing, and no matter the middling reviews or trashy engines each release automatically becomes one of the most popular in the year

Nintendo doesn't apply the same standards,if they were to delay the games to 'fix' the quality they would lose millions and millions of dollars 😳in profit .people know what to expect when they buy a new Pokemon game

No sane company would change anything unless the sales start to crumble,no matter how much the fanboys complain they still buy the games every year, if they didn't Nintendo would have an actual reason to change development

Pokemon is a very special case,still i expect to see an 'improvment' on the Switch 2 over Scarlet and Violet, (they can't keep the same release schedule forever) and GameFreak to get additional support to deliver higher quality games ,just don't expect flawless 🤭

Hardensoul

Pokémon is owned by "The pokemon company" which in turned is owned by

- Nintendo 32%
- GameFreak 34%
- Creatures 34%

With that in mind, the mainline games can only be developed by gamefreak and only exclusively for Nintendo Hardware. The hold up is not Nintendo being able to give it to someone else, its that gamefreak are co owners of the IP and would need to sign on it, which they probably wont ever want to do as its very easy money for them to put out turds that sell 20m+ yearly.

Creatures handles merch and TCG.
Nintendo also own part of GameFreak and Creatures too, I forgot what %.

The should probably have multiple development houses like CoD, especially with the #1 IP in the world. They can afford it! :messenger_grinning:

Zannegan

Honestly, Gamefreak just seems completely incompetent when it comes to actual game development. There's something to the games that remains fun and engaging all these generations later though.

So, gut the studio, keeping only the core gameplay systems guys around and all the artists who aren't designing weird fanservicy monsters... also, the Mr. Mime guy. Fire that bastard ASAP. Then build out Monolith Soft and/or other support studios and have them work on bringing the gameplay vision proposed by that core team to life.

Eventually a team from the most successful support studio becomes a permanent part of Gamefreak.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Like other have already stated many times. They don't care because the fans will buy anything.

They could sell Scarlet & Violet AGAIN as a buggy mess with only a name change and people would eat that shit up.

Top Bottom