• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Legends Arceus announced (3D open world pokemon game)

Kokoloko85

The remakes look like 3ds games, chibi ffs... lame

And the open world game doesnt look any better then sword and shield? Looks pretty rough

Game freaks must be the lowest effort studio ever compared to the amount of money and resources they have.

Snap looks decent

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I don't normally comment on graphics, but yeah looks really rough, hope they can smooth things out before release but I kind of doubt it. Will probably be a day 1 buy for me either way.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Lots of talk about visuals and performance, but the Feudal game looks a bit different which is a nice change of pace (potentially) and there's no way it can look and play as bad as Sun/Moon for 3DS so if I was a Switch owner I'd probably give this a go.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm not going to criticize the obviously bad graphics (should be completely cel shaded) nor the framerate because at least they're going beyond the normal formula. But GF needs to stop being so cheap and forget the pride, ask Nintendo for help, I'm pretty sure a few guys from the zelda team or Monolith soft could help with the aesthetics. But mechanically it does looks like an evolution.

Gamefreak should have never went to 3D. In 2D they had charm, in 3D they're budget bootleg mobile devs and have ruined their franchise with this toss. The DP remakes looked awful as well, just ugh.

When Hal labs and Genius were picking up the 3D slack, things were great.

Evilms

Banned
Switch 2021
1614352911-lwddime.jpg

PS2 2001
1551279594-o7888.jpg

N64 1998
2554102_3701fdb1a298984e3570d8e7566284f9_640x640.jpg

Lokaum D+

I'm not going to criticize the obviously bad graphics (should be completely cel shaded) nor the framerate because at least they're going beyond the normal formula. But GF needs to stop being so cheap and forget the pride, ask Nintendo for help, I'm pretty sure a few guys from the zelda team or Monolith soft could help with the aesthetics. But mechanically it does looks like an evolution.
for gods sake, this is 2021, is expected at least the same level of detail/desing that genshin impact or even this new immortals fenyx rising has. We need to stop making excuses for such terrible work, It's not like GF/Nintendo are is a poor indie company.

As i said before, even ninokuni that is a game from 2013 have better level disign/graphics/framerate u name it.

Genshin-Impact.jpg

Immortals-Fenyx-Rising-1.jpg

Last edited:

Termite

Like others are saying, I'll hold off on criticizing the visuals just because this is such an important step for them. If they can pull it off it will be worth it.

And BotW looked like crap compared to its peers on other consoles, and was a masterpiece. Granted that was 2017, not 2021, but still.

But do I have faith in Game Freak actually executing the concept well? No, no I do not.

Ezquimacore

Banned
for gods sake, this is 2021, is expected at least the same level of detail/desing that genshin impact or even this new immortals fenyx rising has. We need to stop making excuses for such terrible work, It's not like GF/Nintendo are is a poor indie company.

As i said before, even ninokuni that is a game from 2013 have better level disign/graphics/framerate u name it.

Genshin-Impact.jpg

This game gonna sell 20 million copies and there's nothing you or we at neogaf can do about it. So just relax dude

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not talking about the graphics here, but it looks kinda weird, like it's still in pretty early development or something.

But hey, on the bright side I'm really glad they are stepping out of their comfort zone and trying something new, specially something so much people fantasized with after the release of BOTW.

Looks like one of those Steam Asset Flips with unity. DON'T expect the game to look any better than what they have already shown they did the game stunt with Sword & Shield.

I think they might just be getting lazy or giving up at this point.

As for Diamond & Pearl. They look alright... Pretty much just a HD version of the DS games by looks of things.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Reminder this is an open world game released in 2015 on less powerful hardware in a niche series with a tenth of the budget at Gamefreak's disposal:

Reminder - that game was created by Monolith, who are absolutely top tier in terms of building open worlds and so hard to match in terms of Open World skill that Nintendo drafted their A-team in for BoTW. I mean, hell, Monolith pulled off an Open world game on the scale of Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii.

Yeah, I'd like to see this one get a bit more polish before it comes out but I'm not holding them to Monolith standards.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I’m surprised seeing so many people excited in the comments of news sites. Pokémon games sell regardless of quality and if this wasn’t Pokémon, no one would probably care.

The biggest gripe about BOTW was how empty it was. They made up for it with the physics, but will this Pokémon game have them?

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah...strange concept. Although it looks like they're parcially on the righ track, I have my doubts about the gameplay. And the scale its too big for GF, gonna guess they are getting help from Nintendo.
Correct they be petitioning the wrong company. And they don't work. Ever.

If you want changes you'll have to convince a large percentage of the Pokemon playerbase to not buy the games. Which won't happen either.

Not to mention the fanboys pearls like " I will buy 3 copies because you won't" type of nerd. Criticism against them its just like talking to a wall.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This company brings in more money then anyone else probably and their games always look like shit.

Mm the thing that needs more time is the animation framerate of the Pokémon close to the trainers. The fire monkey and the other yellow pokemon floating around make this very noticeable.

Bit_Reactor

This looks absolutely awful. Again I'm amazed at a company as monolithic as this putting out what's barely more than a wild area with more types of grass and people are goign "wow it's so beautiful" as the 2fps pokemon jaggedly run in the distance.

Like Open World Pokemon is such a neat concept and you've already outsourced like 90% of the animations and they're all done and the best you come up with is a drab boring generic looking open world map?

Where's all the personality? the interesting foliage? The pokemon made places maybe? It's just a bigger more depressing looking Wild Area.

And then they go "we'll put it back in time so we don't have to make cities" lmao. What do they even do at this point?

It's hard for me to look at Xenoblade, MH:Rise, and all these other titles that make due with smaller budgets and profits while Pokemon is a gigantic IP and sells millions and their best offering is "I dunno wild area but make it bigger and choppier than last time."

Fredrik

Run at a stable 30fps in 1080 more like.

Christ, when will their dev team retire and let some young blood come in and get with the times.
It’s Nintendo’s fault as well for not focusing on power, at this point it feels like we’re stuck in the 3DS era without having any stationary alternative to buy while Pokémon is now supposed to look good on a big TV as well.

Go_Ly_Dow

My friend legit thought this was a mobile game.

Indie devs put out more compelling looking open world games than this on the regular.

Uninspired and a fall from grace.

Fredrik

Of course can change. Only if there is a patch just like PS4 vs PRO.

If not, indeed will not make different.
Going by rumours the hardware upgrade will be too small. At most we’ll get 4K and a stable framerate and that’s not where the problem is, Pokémon at it’s core is 2 generations behind, or more.

Fake

Going by rumours the hardware upgrade will be too small. At most we’ll get 4K and a stable framerate and that’s not where the problem is, Pokémon at it’s core is 2 generations behind, or more.

By the rumors we can pretty much believe there is no much effort to make a better version. If the Switch PRO indeed have DLSS, just a minor boost over texture and will be OK.

No need to make framerate of 30 to 60. Most of PS4 and PRO games run at 30 so they can assume people are OK with this little bump.

Again, assuming Nintendo will make a patch just like Sony did with PRO.

Probably i'm the only one right now to be really disappointed, the early leak made me crazy excited and I was expecting a Conquest style game with a more serious mood, samurai trainers and such, maybe a war setting ( Pokèmon lore had plenty of them) not a BOTW ripoff with Diamond and Pearl clone trainers tbh

Don't want to sound like an asshole, but... :(

Last edited:

McCheese

It’s Nintendo’s fault as well for not focusing on power, at this point it feels like we’re stuck in the 3DS era without having any stationary alternative to buy while Pokémon is now supposed to look good on a big TV as well.

It looks worse than Breath of the Wild though, and that was a cross-platform Switch launch title. There really is no excuse, I'm glad Pokemon are finally embracing open-world game design and breaking out of the usual stale formula, but it's a kick in the nuts when no matter how much they innovate gameplay-wise, they simply don't have the talent to produce a game that even lines up with its peers on the same platform visually.

TemTem was made on a budget of takeaway pizza and late nights and somehow looks nicer than Pokemon sword and shield. I would love to be a fly on the wall to figure out why Gamefreak haven't brought in external help, or even adopted Nintendo's in-house game engine. My guess is there is some old fart who is the technical lead who has been there since the monochrome Gameboy days, and intends to stay there until he retires despite not having a fucking clue about modern rendering pipelines.

StormCell

Gamefreak has no talent and drive to make an actual good open world pokemon game. Give the ip to someone else for big projects like this Nintendo.

lol

They can't. GameFreak is also an owner of Pokemon.

Having said that, I don't understand why more money isn't invested into the games. They have plenty of collective talent to collaborate with. Yet, we know that this will cost substantially less than BotW and will totally rake in the revenue.

Genshin-Impact.jpg

People like to shit on Genshin Impact because it has a gacha but that game had a $100 million budget at launch, the studio has over 2,000 employees most of which are developers, and reportedly ongoing costs are approaching $200 million yearly to operate the game. It's a legit AAA class title in terms of money and resources spent and it's not hard to see that on the screen.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Why is this being rendered at like 640x480 and it still manages both look and run like complete ass?

Somebody should inform GameFreak they stopped making games for the 3DS, they have a Switch now at their disposal.

Also, why do characters walk half-turned to the right side? Did they recycle the animations from a game where the protagonist walks with sword in hand?

Sejan

I’m cautiously optimistic. I really like the watercolor graphics idea. It just appears that it isn’t fully realized yet. Hopefully, the styling is implemented more consistently over the next year. As far as gameplay, I’m actually intrigued. I like the idea of sneaking around feudal Sinnoh and catching Pokémon off guard by tossing poke balls. With that said, they showed so little actual gameplay that I’m not sure what the gameplay actually is. I think they only showed a single attack in the entire trailer.

I liked a lot of the way that the open nature of the sword and shield expansion passes worked, so I am definitely intrigued. Here’s hoping for improvements and the best final product possible.

Top Bottom