• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Legends Arceus announced (3D open world pokemon game)

I'm not a graphics snob by any means, but the new game looks ROUGH.

They should go back to what they were doing with Let's go Pikachu, looked great.

pokemon-lets-go-tall-grass.jpg

Last edited:
The graphics look bad, the animations look rough and I know that buying this will only help perpetuate these kind of shite efforts... but I still can't help being hyped as fuck and preordering as soon as I can on Amazon.

And considering the insane amount of hours I put in SwSh, I know I'll have a great time with it.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Switch Pro has to be coming next year. With this, Splatoon 3, and I assume BotW2. They really need the extra power because this is looking kind of rough.
This. I love my switch, it's got some of the best games available at the moment. BUT image quality is severely lacking compared to the new machines, more so than any gen in the past from what I remember. They don't need to make a powerhouse console. Dolphin emulator etc. have shown that Nintendo's art style shines when rendered in higher res. Even if the 'pro' was just a TV box with support for internal rendering at a higher res, even just 2k it would make all the difference.

GameFrake have given up right?

Game straight up looks like a unity asset flip we would see on Steam, Is this how they confirm the game is coming to PC or something? Like what are they playing at?
They needs new blood or just go back to sprite based games.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

They should go back to what they were doing with Let's go Pikachu, looked great.

It makes me curious. I think LGP looked great. What game engine are they using for Arceus? Is it the same one as in LGP or a different one?

Can't accept how much stupid often is Game Freak

Like, seriously?

They always have the excuse of the start of the pokemon journey, you have to be a 10yrs old kid blah blah, this time around, me after reading the leak one hour before the presentation: " wow, a non - journey- to- catch- em- all - and - win the - league /tournament plot, every possible chance to give us a more mature and older/ badass / customizable protagonist" and " wow, can't believe I could actually, finally roam a Feudal Japan region with a lone Samurai or ninja warrior with his brave Pokèmon ( thought Conquest and hyped the hell out of me) "

Game Freak : " shut the fuck up"

*copy - paste Diamond and Pearl trainers and change them outfits*

Done

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can't accept how much stupid often is Game Freak

Like, seriously?

They always have the excuse of the start of the pokemon journey, you have to be a 10yrs old kid blah blah, this time around : " wow, a non - journey- to- catch- em- all - and - win the - league /tournament plot, every possible chance to give us a more mature and older/ badass / customizable protagonist"

Game Freak : " shut the fuck up"

*copy - paste Diamond and Pearl trainers and change them outfits*

Done
you think Game Freak are stupid?

they are raking in the $ so really the stupid ones are the those who keep buying pokemon games. if people really weren't happy with the games they'd stop buying them and then Game Freak would be forced to do something different. but nah as long as people keep buying the games I'm sure Game Freak will be quite happy to keep it as it is. Why change anything if it sells so well?

for whatever it's worth i do agree with your points. the games are stale and boring. i will probably buy Arceus cause it's something new but the D/P remakes can fuck off.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I'm extremely happy gamefreak are actually trying something new. Even though I don't really think it looks all that hot atm

Yeah my first reaction, too.
Even for a Nintendo game that looked really really bad.

No issue with the art style, that that could've been shown in 1999

I've never been a big Pokémon guy, though I love JRPGs. So, I'm probably not the audience, but I can't understand those who thinks this looks like a good game. It looks really bad, imo.

you think Game Freak are stupid?

they are raking in the $ so really the stupid ones are the those who keep buying pokemon games. if people really weren't happy with the games they'd stop buying them and then Game Freak would be forced to do something different. but nah as long as people keep buying the games I'm sure Game Freak will be quite happy to keep it as it is. Why change anything if it sells so well?

for whatever it's worth i do agree with your points. the games are stale and boring. i will probably buy Arceus cause it's something new but the D/P remakes can fuck off.
I know, not really, they know well what they do, they invest 1 and sell 1000000 sadly

But seeing how they go so bad on some little things... :(

O-N-E

image.png

Number 1 most valuable media franchise.

Look at that big red chunk in their bar. It's over 20 billion now just from the games.

There's no excuse. None at all. Essentially they just don't give a shit about the audience, because the product will sell regardless.

image.png

Number 1 most valuable media franchise.

Look at that big red chunk in their bar. It's over 20 billion now just from the games.

There's no excuse. None at all. Essentially they just don't give a shit about the audience, because the product will sell regardless.
Are there actually still people who think Pokemon isn't a franchise aimed at children and the level of effort is commensurate with the target market?

I see this meltdown every time a new Pokemon anything is announced and I don't get it. Does the grown adult segment of the Pokemon fanbase hate itself that much? Give it up already, nothing is going to change ever because you are literally not the target market. I would be shocked if the grown adult segment of the fanbase was even 5% of the total player base, the other 95% are the children the franchise is actually sold to.

O-N-E

Are there actually still people who think Pokemon isn't a franchise aimed at children and the level of effort is commensurate with the target market?

I see this meltdown every time a new Pokemon anything is announced and I don't get it. Does the grown adult segment of the Pokemon fanbase hate itself that much? Give it up already, nothing is going to change ever because you are literally not the target market. I would be shocked if the grown adult segment of the fanbase was even 5% of the total player base, the other 95% are the children the franchise is actually sold to.

"Screw the children, they can't tell the difference."

It's possible to understand that this is the norm and not be happy about it at the same time. You can run your business in a less scummy way. Like if you're actually passionate about putting out the best product you can.

Fake

lmao. Here we go again. Too hard to understand just people want more?

It's totally fine have lower expectations.

"Screw the children, they can't tell the difference."

It's possible to understand that this is the norm and not be happy about it at the same time. You can run your business in a less scummy way. Like if you're actually passionate about putting out the best product you can.
So stop giving them money?

No?

Well then you're getting what you deserve aren't you?

O-N-E

So stop giving them money?

No?

Well then you're getting what you deserve aren't you?

I personally have stopped giving them money. Thanks for ASSuming though.

We can even put it in a different perspective...

Star Wars has earned less in the box office than Pokemon has with video games. Star Wars has also been around longer.

The scripts may be shit, but at least they put in a ton of effort on the production side of the movies. With Pokemon, it's not even remotely close to the same level of effort.

Fbh

Switch Pro won’t change anything, games will just look like ass in 4K.

Yep. It might help with the jaggies and it will give smoother performance, which is nice.
But the game is still going to look like a low effort fan game. It's not a hardware issue.

This is a Wii Game, emulated at higher res but still, a Wii Game.

shit wasn't even that much stronger than the gamecube.

Last edited:
I personally have stopped giving them money. Thanks for ASSuming though.

We can even put it in a different perspective...

Star Wars has earned less in the box office than Pokemon has with video games. Star Wars has also been around longer.

The scripts may be shit, but at least they put in a ton of effort on the production side of the movies. With Pokemon, it's not even remotely close to the same level of effort.
The thing with movies is that the audiences really do stop spending money en masse if the product sucks. We have actually seen that with Star Wars, the box office take on each successive entry of the Disney Trilogy got worse and worse every movie. Solo had a massive box office decrease compared with Rogue One because of the fan distaste for The Last Jedi. People really do vote with their wallets when it comes to movies for whatever reason and Disney knows it, Hollywood is a ruthless and cutthroat industry for that reason.

Meanwhile Pokemon Sword and Shield sold 20 million copies. So you tell me why Pokemon deserves more effort, unlike with Star Wars, the fans will keep buying no matter what. More to the point, you just said you stopped giving them money, but those games still sold 20 million copies. So it turns out you really aren't the target market, and I'm sorry to tell you that if you aren't the target market your opinion simply doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Fake

Yep. It might help with the jaggies and it will give smoother performance, which is nice.
But the game is still going to look like a low effort fan game. It's not a hardware issue.

This is a Wii Game, emulated at higher res but still, a Wii Game.

shit wasn't even that much stronger than the gamecube.

Switch PRO can even add AA for games like Mario Kart.

Elysion

Banned
I was excited when I read ‘open world’, and for a second I had hope this would be the Pokémon game everyone has been waiting for, where you can travel wherever you want after leaving your home town, can visit all towns and cities and complete the gyms in whatever order you desire, with wild Pokémon visibly roaming the world. But apparently, other than free roaming Pokémon, this game will have none of this. If there’s only one village, then the world will probably just be one giant empty space without much to do in it. No gyms, no cities, no Pokémon League…what exactly is the point of this game?

If all they wanted was a large area filled with wild Pokémon then they should’ve just made Pokémon Snap open world instead, where you’d have to sneak up on wild Pokémon and try to get good pictures of them. That could be pretty cool actually, now that I think about it.

But the worst thing about this is that this will probably give Gamefreak an excuse to not make any of the mainline games open world, and leave the concept to low-effort side games like this.

Nezzeroth

It looks really rough, that framerate is awful. It honestly looks more like a prototype or something than a game expected to release in a year.

I was excited when I read ‘open world’, and for a second I had hope this would be the Pokémon game everyone has been waiting for, where you can travel wherever you want after leaving your home town, can visit all towns and cities and complete the gyms in whatever order you desire, with wild Pokémon visibly roaming the world. But apparently, other than free roaming Pokémon, this game will have none of this. If there’s only one village, then the world will probably just be one giant empty space without much to do in it. No gyms, no cities, no Pokémon League…what exactly is the point of this game?

If all they wanted was a large area filled with wild Pokémon then they should’ve just made Pokémon Snap open world instead, where you’d have to sneak up on wild Pokémon and try to get good pictures of them. That could be pretty cool actually, now that I think about it.

But the worst thing about this is that this will probably give Gamefreak an excuse to not make any of the mainline games open world, and leave the concept to low-effort side games like this.
Is the only village thing confirmed?

Bodomism

Banned
Not really. Maybe original wild area but not the main galar region or the DLC wild areas.
Sword and Shield wild area even in the new expansion looks garbage with N64 and PS1 level of texture details all over the world. At least this looks like Wii-PS2 level of texture details and much better geometry details.

Elysion

Banned
Is the only village thing confirmed?

Well, the trailer said this takes place when Sinnoh was still a ‘vast wilderness’, and no other settlements of any kind were shown (and you would expect a trailer for an open world game to show some of its towns and cities). There will probably be some watchtowers here and there, and maybe a few farms or hamlets or something, but from the looks of it this seems to be taking place during some kind of frontier era.

The Skull

Excited for something different for Pokemon but this looks rough. The amount of profit it generates, it deserves to have a big budget and an experienced developer behind it.

Ribi

This shit should have come out 5-10!years ago. There are fan made games that Pokemon company and Nintendo have shot down that looked way better than this. It looks rough and empty.

Its amazing how Switch games look like gamecube games. As if Nintendo goes heres a gamecube, make a game for it with 2020 code libraries.

Great art, not great frame rate. I play indie games that look worse all the time so if they can get a stable frame rate it's all good.

Lethal01

bellsprout.gif

5ff91e17a31c64bca882cff36bcfa30a.gif

GameFreak should of just improved on Let's Go. Why they went in this open world direction without a proper game engine in place is baffling.

I vastly prefer Pokemon Journey to More lets go. If they had went that direction they would not get a cent from me.

Hinedorf

Banned
It looks like Pokemon.....but it doesn't look fun. All you see the character do is sneak and throw a ball and stand there, even the monster to monster interactions seemed less exciting than the standard RPG.

Top Bottom