• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2: The Ultimate FAQ

Rudius

It will be good to play flat games for those not equipped with 120hz TVs. It will present a large 1080p "screen", but with Oled HDR quality.

Cinematic Mode: You can view the PS5 system and UI and all non-VR game and media content, such as streaming apps, on a virtual cinema screen. Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate. The audio and image will be only displayed on the VR headset and there is no output on the TV side when you are wearing VR headset and playing in Cinematic mode.

Does PS VR2 support HDR?

Yes, the PS VR2 headset will display supported content in HDR, both VR Mode and Cinematic Mode.

Last edited:

Crayon

It will be good to play flat games for those not equipped with 120hz TVs. It will present a large 1080p "screen", but with Oled HDR quality.

Cinematic Mode: You can view the PS5 system and UI and all non-VR game and media content, such as streaming apps, on a virtual cinema screen. Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate. The audio and image will be only displayed on the VR headset and there is no output on the TV side when you are wearing VR headset and playing in Cinematic mode.

Does PS VR2 support HDR?

Yes, the PS VR2 headset will display supported content in HDR, both VR Mode and Cinematic Mode.

I've tried it with psvr and it should be pretty handy. On the first one the resolution was a little low, but the picture was good in its way and the low latency was great. The main problem was moving the camera to a place where I could sit aside like a lout.

I put guilty gear up there and I set the screen size to the biggest and it was too much lol. The characters were like 3 ft tall and I was snapping my neck to see all over the screen.

Last edited:
Does the headset have PlayStation symbols embedded in it?
Asking the important questions

I wonder if mixed-format games are still supported - ones like that bomb defusing game where the VR player sees something different than the screen players. I would assume so, but surprised the FAQ didn't mention it.

Ar¢tos

You can't buy spare controllers?
Lame...

What if you break one and can't get a new one from Sony warranty because it was your fault? You need to buy a new headset?

saintjules

Lame...

What if you break one and can't get a new one from Sony warranty because it was your fault? You need to buy a new headset?

That would be pretty strange for them not to let you buy them separately.

I did see one reviewer using the dualsense. Not the same thing obviously, but it could be used alternatively until they make the controllers available.

Crayon

The controllers would more likeley be available seperately a little down the line. They know that people can't be expected to buy a whole new set when they just need a controller!

Ar¢tos

That would be pretty strange for them not to let you buy them separately.

I did see one reviewer using the dualsense. Not the same thing obviously, but it could be used alternatively until they make the controllers available.
Some games can only be played with the VR controllers.

XXL

Why is cinematic mode limited to 1080p?
This is the only disappointment with this headset for me. I thought 1440p or 4K would be the display resolution for cinema mode. Hopefully, there is an update down the line planned.

Crayon

Why is cinematic mode limited to 1080p?

Since it's a screen floating out there in the blackness, the screen occupies far less than the total available pixels on the displays. So there may be gains from sending a higer-resolution picture but not much. Maybe not any. Extra detail is going to get crushed out when it renders the virtual tv.

Kilau

This is the only disappointment with this headset for me. I thought 1440p or 4K would be the display resolution for cinema mode. Hopefully, there is an update down the line planned.
Yeah maybe they can do a down sample update later.

Since it's a screen floating out there in the blackness, the screen occupies far less than the total available pixels on the displays. So there may be gains from sending a higer-resolution picture but not much. Maybe not any. Extra detail is going to get crushed out when it renders the virtual tv.
If it's just 1/4 of the FOV it should have the same pixel density but on a smaller area, right? They gave us size options on the last one though. Guess it will look better than PSVR1 cinema mode at least.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lame...

I'm assuming they'll sell them later. But that is odd though.

Crayon

Yeah maybe they can do a down sample update later.

If it's just 1/4 of the FOV it should have the same pixel density but on a smaller area, right? They gave us size options on the last one though. Guess it will look better than PSVR1 cinema mode at least.

No idea how much the image would be degraded at 1080p ve 4k. You would think it has to be something, but it's a question of how much. Would be hard to tell unless they have and update to a higher res and we can compare. And any difference would defintely be noticeable the bigger the virtual screen is.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've tried it with psvr and it should be pretty handy. On the first one the resolution was a little low, but the picture was good in its way and the low latency was great. The main problem was moving the camera to a place where I could sit aside like a lout.

I put guilty gear up there and I set the screen size to the biggest and it was too much lol. The characters were like 3 ft tall and I was snapping my neck to see all over the screen.
I actually use my PSVR1 to play all my PS3 and PSTV games. I completely bypass the tv, and just output directly to the PSVR. The point is that I don’t have static huds from older games fucking up my expensive OLED tv, and it’s possible to recline back in a chair or lay down. It’s actually quite portable too. I bring it with me on trainings and stuff, and play old rpgs in the hotel. I use the medium screen size. Don’t even bother with the camera. The only draw back is that plugging it into an old console, you can’t change the screen size. That has to be done prior, on a ps4/5. But the setting is saved. It’s actually pretty fucking awesome and I doubt most people are even aware of this use case.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Nice. I already pre-ordered, and was keeping it but my biggest question was other media apps and games.

VR Mode: You can enjoy VR game content in a 360 degree view in a virtual environment. Content will be displayed in 4000 x 2040 HDR video format (2000 x 2040 per eye) with 90Hz/120Hz frame rate.

Crayon

I actually use my PSVR1 to play all my PS3 and PSTV games. I completely bypass the tv, and just output directly to the PSVR. The point is that I don’t have static huds from older games fucking up my expensive OLED tv, and it’s possible to recline back in a chair or lay down. It’s actually quite portable too. I bring it with me on trainings and stuff, and play old rpgs in the hotel. I use the medium screen size. Don’t even bother with the camera. The only draw back is that plugging it into an old console, you can’t change the screen size. That has to be done prior, on a ps4/5. But the setting is saved. It’s actually pretty fucking awesome and I doubt most people are even aware of this use case.

Had no idea you could set that up like that!

Rudius

Yes but if I render a game to a 1080p window on my 4k monitor it's still the same pixel density just smaller as opposed to full screen playing a game at 1080p. Don't know if that makes sense, just how I am thinking of it.
The internal resolution of flat games should be the same regardless of display, so the 1080p projected screen in PSVR2 will be downsampled.

Evolved1

Had no idea you could set that up like that!
Yeah, it’s a pretty cool way to play Vita games (via PSTV) and use an actual good controller (even use back paddles lol)

ZoukGalaxy

Happy Tom And Jerry GIF
Excited Cat GIF

Yes but if I render a game to a 1080p window on my 4k monitor it's still the same pixel density just smaller as opposed to full screen playing a game at 1080p. Don't know if that makes sense, just how I am thinking of it.
Right, but the actual hardware pixel density is always the same. If you take a 4k image and downsample to a 1080p window, that window is going to look identical to the 1080p native window (probably not entirely true but for a movie it would be pretty close to true). The issue here is that in VR you are only ever going to be looking at that window and only that window - everything else on the screen would be in your peripheral vision because your eyes can't see (clearly, in focus) more than 1080p pixels at a time (making an assumption there). The fullscreen comparison doesn't work because you can't see a "full screen" image in VR because it extends way past what you can reasonably view. That is the whole idea behind foveated rendering, the fact that you can't even see most of the VR screen clearly at any time.

Basically, it doesn't matter what your source is, it can be 40K, if your eyes can only see 1080p worth of pixels on the physical screen at a time you are only seeing 1080p. I think that you would need an 8K screen in the headset in order for you to see a 4K movie (again, using the 25% FOV assumption which I have absolutely no idea is true but sounds reasonable).

I'm probably explaining poorly and hell could even be wrong from the start.

Is there anywhere in the faq that tells how I can get someone to buy it for someone for Christmas or birthday? Heh Mom check out this FAQ hint hint.

Mahavastu

Lame...

On the German playstation web site they state that it is possible to buy these separatly.
On the american version of the same page it states that the controllers are not included at all, which sounds wrong and stupid.

https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/playstation-vr2
https://direct.playstation.com/de-de/playstation-vr2 ("controller are available separate")

I am pretty sure the german version is correct and you can buy them separate :messenger_grinning:

R6Rider

Gold Member
WTF

I need to try this.

Hawk269

So according to this FAQ the PSVR2 will NOT be sold in Retailers in the U.S. Only in some parts of the world it will be sold at retail.

Well Sony, you just lost a sale. Not going to buy it directly from you. Was planning to buy via Best Buy to get a Accidental Warranty...but it seems that is not going to happen. I just bought a PS5 last week in hopes that I could buy the PSVR2. So I will be returning the PS5 and be done with Sony.

Evolved1

WTF

I need to try this.
There was an issue I ran into, where the audio didn’t work on hot shots golf world tour… I had to watch a video to figure out what setting to change in order to remedy that (it was confusing, but I’m kinda dumb with audio stuff) but I did eventually sort it out.

But generally, it just works without any issues.

So according to this FAQ the PSVR2 will NOT be sold in Retailers in the U.S. Only in some parts of the world it will be sold at retail.

Well Sony, you just lost a sale. Not going to buy it directly from you. Was planning to buy via Best Buy to get a Accidental Warranty...but it seems that is not going to happen. I just bought a PS5 last week in hopes that I could buy the PSVR2. So I will be returning the PS5 and be done with Sony.
Maybe Gamestop will take trade in's this time for the PSVR2 and you can get it used?
Might be a chance.

Taddypole

Neo Member

Well Sony, you just lost a sale. Not going to buy it directly from you. Was planning to buy via Best Buy to get a Accidental Warranty...but it seems that is not going to happen. I just bought a PS5 last week in hopes that I could buy the PSVR2. So I will be returning the PS5 and be done with SonyI won
I wonder if the retailers actually didn't want to carry it here. it's not like the last one was flying off the shelves. it slowly sold.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I wonder if the retailers actually didn't want to carry it here. it's not like the last one was flying off the shelves. it slowly sold.
Doubt it. Best Buy's site is showing accessories for it albeit 3rd party stuff. Just strange that Sony is picking which countries can have it at retail. The U.S. is their biggest market you would think you would get a better chance selling units if they provided them to retailers.

Gamerguy84

Very nice FAQ. I just read through it all and since it's from the source it's legit. I knew most of it already by scouring places and getting bits and pieces.

Some things were new though like how the VR controllers are tracked by the headset and I forgot about the finger position sensing. My Quest 2 does that one but differently.

This headset is a pretty premium headset guys. With foveated rendering the games are going to look amazing. And the eye tracking and all the different things you can do with that, wow. Just a couple weeks to go.

I already own 3 of the big games so that's pretty big itself. Haven't been this pumped for hardware since the 5 itself.

saintjules

Very nice FAQ. I just read through it all and since it's from the source it's legit. I knew most of it already by scouring places and getting bits and pieces.

Some things were new though like how the VR controllers are tracked by the headset and I forgot about the finger position sensing. My Quest 2 does that one but differently.

This headset is a pretty premium headset guys. With foveated rendering the games are going to look amazing. And the eye tracking and all the different things you can do with that, wow. Just a couple weeks to go.

I already own 3 of the big games so that's pretty big itself. Haven't been this pumped for hardware since the 5 itself.

Yeah as a first time VR buyer it's going to be pretty exciting to try this out.

All of what you said unfortunately will be irrelevant for most people because the first thing they're thinking about is the pricing. Regardless of what they're getting.

Gamerguy84

Yeah as a first time VR buyer it's going to be pretty exciting to try this out.

All of what you said unfortunately will be irrelevant for most people because the first thing they're thinking about is the pricing. Regardless of what they're getting.
That's awesome. VR is great and this is a quality headset. I'm impressed and this is my fourth. Sony put some effort in here.

GladiusFrog

Wife and I finally decided to preorder. Wonder how much of a jump this will be for me.

Current VR setup is an original HTC Vive with a GTX 1080. I'm stuck in 2017 VR lol.

NewYork214

Off to check if it supports 3d video and bluerays. Wanna rewatch dredd in 3d again lol

Edit: Fucking FAQ was useless. Assuming it will if psvr does it

Last edited:

Barrico82

Banned
I have motion sickness, it is a steep investment i have to try it first before ordering, i tried PSVR1 on retail shop and the experience was horrible

midnightAI

Doubt it. Best Buy's site is showing accessories for it albeit 3rd party stuff. Just strange that Sony is picking which countries can have it at retail. The U.S. is their biggest market you would think you would get a better chance selling units if they provided them to retailers.
I think it's just a launch thing, I expect them to put them in stores later in the year

Top Bottom