• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recroom devs 'Can't Justify' PlayStation VR2 Release-- Gamerant

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
  • The developer of popular VR game Rec Room says it "can't justify the cost" of creating a version for PlayStation VR2.
  • Rec Room, a sandbox game and game creation tool, allows users to play pre-made games and create their own. It has seen releases on various platforms, including VR versions on Meta Quest and the original PS VR.
  • The lack of a planned PS VR2 port for Rec Room reflects the uncertainty some developers have towards the VR platform, with sales numbers reportedly low for the console.

Gamerant.com
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a VR headset that only works on PlayStation 5, without wireless connectivity options, and lacking backward compatibility. Another PS vita then?

dwight schrute GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the one product Sony shouldve released on the PC. Not their first party games, but an actual hardware that works with both PC and PS.
Well, you know Sony. Their first attempt at anything is closed off ecosystems in hopes of controlling its destiny and full revenues.

When the fallout happens, it then becomes a guessing match when or if it opens up for other platforms.

When it comes to games, Sony would rather port Sackboy and Returnal kinds of games, along with the bigger hits like Horizon and DG back in 2020 than IMO the first game they should had ported over way back.... Dreams.

Out of all games Sony makes, thats the kind of game most PC centric, yet it was walled off on PS using a gamepad. This game could had been a monster hit on PC using M/KB.

Last edited:

willothedog

PSVR2 hardware is decent, it is the software side that lets it down.

-the promised revised reprojection fix has not arrived.
-no dedicated social apps (such as recroom, vr chat,bigscreen)
-missing 3D movie support and DLNA streaming of content
-creative apps like sculptVR, tiltbrush, google earth absent.
-no VR 'home' space like other HMDs.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The discussion started Wednesday in the thread https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ques...-2-on-amazon-over-the-holiday-season.1666241/
(page 2 or 3), if you searched title only, it won't show.
Yeah I found it using ctrl+f in page 2(or3?). I'm sorry but I can't follow all the threads about the PSVR 2 downfall. I saw it being reported on major sites today, so I shared it. I think it deserves its own headline btw. It's not surprising that PS VR 2 sells less than Quest 2 and 3, but devs thinking it's not worth porting games to is big news in my opinion.

Ar¢tos

Yeah I found it using ctrl+f in page 2(or3?). I'm sorry but I can't follow all the threads about the PSVR 2 downfall. I saw it being reported on major sites today, so I shared it. I think it deserves its own headline btw. It's not surprising that PS VR 2 sells less than Quest 2 and 3, but devs thinking it's not worth porting games to is big news in my opinion.
It seems they want Sony to pay in advance.
They ported it to PSVR1 and are going to port it to Apple new 3.500$ headset, but now PSVR2 sales are the issue...
Sony opting not to develop system-level backwards compatibility with the original PSVR was the first nail in PSVR2's coffin.

I'm still hopeful they'll release official PC drivers before they discontinue the hardware.
It's not that easy, it's a completely different input system, no external camera, no controller light to track. It's impossible to have a one button conversion, everything needs to be reworked.

Minsc

Gold Member
PSVR2 hardware is decent, it is the software side that lets it down.

-the promised revised reprojection fix has not arrived.
-no dedicated social apps (such as recroom, vr chat,bigscreen)
-missing 3D movie support and DLNA streaming of content
-creative apps like sculptVR, tiltbrush, google earth absent.
-no VR 'home' space like other HMDs.

VR home spaces are a thing of the past when you get mixed reality UIs. It's like going back to CD-ROM based loading, it's just soooo much slower in a VR environment than a MR one.

If the Deckard ever releases and it's not an outdated piece of trash, then it'll have mixed reality passthrough (like AVP / Quest 3 and others) and no one will use anything else because it's just too damn slow, especially given how easy it is to setup play areas/make adjustments without need to switch to passthrough or anything.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It seems they want Sony to pay in advance.
They ported it to PSVR1 and are going to port it to Apple new 3.500$ headset, but now PSVR2 sales are the issue...

It's not that easy, it's a completely different input system, no external camera, no controller light to track. It's impossible to have a one button conversion, everything needs to be reworked.
I think this just goes to show that they entered the medium incorrectly.

yurinka

Gamerant.com
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a VR headset that only works on PlayStation 5, without wireless connectivity options, and lacking backward compatibility. Another PS vita then?
Nah, it's selling better than PSVR1. Maybe when they decided to make the other version they didn't know VR is that niche. As a reference, PSVR dominates non-standalone VR, and has around a third of the total VR userbase.

True.

Sony opting not to develop system-level backwards compatibility with the original PSVR was the first nail in PSVR2's coffin.

I'm still hopeful they'll release official PC drivers before they discontinue the hardware.
PSVR2 is selling as Sony estimated, better than PSVR1 and were already happy with PSVR1 sales. It also has a bigger and better software support for its first year than PSVR had.

Theres no reason to discontinue it.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I mean are the devs being forced at gunpoint 🤷‍♂️ like either they want to or not and will either make the extra cash or won't...

This seems like a strange story. My personal take would be their being idiots. More people playing will inevitably lead to more cash purchase etc. But if they don't want to then fair enough... world keeps on turning

Baki

Gamerant.com

dwight schrute GIF
No. PS Vita will be infinitely more successful than PSVR2. Vita sold 17m units. VR1 barely crossed 5M units.

I mean are the devs being forced at gunpoint 🤷‍♂️ like either they want to or not and will either make the extra cash or won't...

This seems like a strange story. My personal take would be their being idiots. More people playing will inevitably lead to more cash purchase etc. But if they don't want to then fair enough... world keeps on turning
Porting isn’t free.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Porting isn’t frefree
I didn't say it was. But the more people will play the game If they port it.. that's just a fact.

Considering rec room is a social game and the more players playing the better, then there is more money to be made. But if they don't want to then who cares.

Last edited:

Baki

I didn't say it was. But the more people will play the game If they port it.. that's just a fact.

Considering rec room is a social game and the more players playing the better, then there is more money to be made. But if they don't want to then who cares.
The ROI is not there because VR2 has a tiny base. It’s not because they have something against VR2 owners.

StueyDuck

The ROI is not there because VR2 has a tiny base. It’s not because they have something against VR2 owners.
It's not any of that.

They made a decision and they don't want to and that's fine.

Psvr2 may not be selling billions but it has sold well enough, rec room is a free game so the ROI is literally every person who had bought a psvr2 could potentially give them money.

Again this isn't a story. Some devs did want to port their games and some don't. The world keeps spinning, psvr2 will still exist. Rec room will still exist.

This feels like a really try hard doomed story and rec room really isn't the game to gauge that on. If half life alyx released and only sold 50 copies then I'd be like well shit we got a problem.

Synless

My opinion on their VRthis go round is if they let it die, huge mistake. VR isnt going anywhere, it’s here to stay.

Baki

It's not any of that.

They made a decision and they don't want to and that's fine.

Psvr2 may not be selling billions but it has sold well enough, rec room is a free game so the ROI is literally every person who had bought a psvr2 could potentially give them money.

Again this isn't a story. Some devs did want to port their games and some don't. The world keeps spinning, psvr2 will still exist. Rec room will still exist.

This feels like a really try hard doomed story and rec room really isn't the game to gauge that on. If half life alyx released and only sold 50 copies then I'd be like well shit we got a problem.
F2P games need a large audience.

I wonder what the sales for PSVR 2 is and how it's doing. We see sales threads here all the time, but rarely any about that one.

Sorcerer

Sony continually proves time and time again they will not/cannot support anything but whatever main console they have at the time. It's puzzling to me why they even bother.

Last edited:

willothedog

Nah, it's selling better than PSVR1. Maybe when they decided to make the other version they didn't know VR is that niche. As a reference, PSVR dominates non-standalone VR, and has around a third of the total VR userbase.

Link to actual numbers for these statements, thanks :)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow, it's dead Jim. Third parties aren't even willing to port games to it and so they will only come if Sony funds it...which I guess the funds for that are dwindling.

Must be doing worse than the original psvr.

Diddy X

One of the worst acquisitions you can make is non-pcvr where you have all the options you may look for in VR.

MarkMe2525

I don't think anyone suggested it would be a one button conversion. Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it's not worth doing. It was hard building a tool to that allows for almost all UE5 games to be converted to support VR, but someone put the effort in to make it happen. It was hard to emulate 360 on Xbox One, but they set a team to do it.

I can't imagine if Sony invested resources into developing an input conversion tool, that they could not have figured something out.

yurinka

Link to actual numbers for these statements, thanks :)
PSVR2 performing better than PSVR1 in the only worldwide PSVR2 sales number we have to compare:

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/business_segment_meeting/pdf/2023/presen_E.pdf

PSVR having a third of the market share, and most of the non-standalone:
Global-XR-market-share-Q3-2023.jpg

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/insights/global-xr-ar-vr-headsets-market-share/

getfile.dyn

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS50776923

FAX-z7lXIAk6ytA.jpg:large

Now go and ask for links to all the people in the thread who say it's doomed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom