• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says Over 100 PlayStation VR2 games are in development

fermcr

So horizon, gt7, the walking dead, soon firewall and behemoth?

2MD: VR Football Unleashed All-Star
After the Fall
Altair Breaker
Cities VR: Enhanced Edition
Cosmonious High
Creed Rise to Glory: Championship Edition
Demeo
Drums Rock
Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate
Fantavision 202X
Gran Turismo 7
Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Kayak VR: Mirage
Kizuna AI: Touch the Beat
Moss
Moss: Book II
NFL Pro Era
No Man's Sky
Pavlov VR
Pistol Whip
Puzzling Places
Resident Evil Village
Rez Infinite
Song in the Smoke: Rekindled
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge - Enhanced Edition
Swordsman VR
Synth Riders: Remastered Edition
Tetris Effect Connected
The Last Clockwinder
The Light Brigade
The Tale of Onogoro
Tentacular
Townsmen VR
What the Bat?
Zenith: The Last City

Pick your poison

You still don't get it...

ABnormal

I NEED A SHOWCASE DAMNIT, Jim im begging you homie
But why?:messenger_grinning_sweat:

For the lauch there are already more games than what can be digested by the tiny niche of early adopters. A state of play now could only show in more depth games already announced, but they would never announce more games now. Especially the future few important ones, which have to be managed in order to announce them at critical times.
A state of play with new big games announched now would not improve initial sales significantly, but would leave important moments in the future empty.

Crayon

Would you purchase a console if it didn't have AAA exclusives?... indie exclusives are enough to purchase a console?

I bought a PS5 and all it had that maps to your criteria is demon souls! In 2 years that's grown to returnal and ratchet!

On top of that, having full VR implementations of Gran Turismo and resident evil is a little different than having the same game at a higher frame rate on a flat screen. It's closer to a new game.

Reallink

Steam adds like a dozen VR games every week, this headline is as worthless as the turd I just flushed down the toilet without some elabortion on what exactly is in development, and by whom.

SLB1904

Banned
You still don't get it...
Your trolling? I got that ages ago. Don't worry

Steam adds like a dozen VR games every week, this headline is as worthless as the turd I just flushed down the toilet without some elabortion on what exactly is in development, and by whom.
Its playstation. They know what people expect from them. So expect nice games

Last edited:

tmlDan

For the lauch there are already more games than what can be digested by the tiny niche of early adopters. A state of play now could only show in more depth games already announced, but they would never announce more games now. Especially the future few important ones, which have to be managed in order to announce them at critical times.
A state of play with new big games announched now would not improve initial sales significantly, but would leave important moments in the future empty.
Moreso what the future holds, i'm very happy with the launch window but for PS5 and VR2 we don't know much past march/april other than spiderman 2

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When was the last true playstation showcase? It feels like forever ago, surely they are going to have a huge one for psvr and 2023....they must have games for the first half right?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Moreso what the future holds, i'm very happy with the launch window but for PS5 and VR2 we don't know much past march/april other than spiderman 2
Some upcoming PSVR2 games, some of them ports, but plenty new ones:

Affected: The Asylum
the Aliens VR game
Black Trail
Distortion
Project Louisiana: The Bounds
Engram
Firewall Ultra
Crossfire: Sierra Squad
Firmament
LOW-FI
Ghosts of Tabor
Lonn
Grimlord
Soul of Kaeru
RUNNER
Mixture
Bloody Hell Hotel
Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord
Espire 2
Hubris
Do Not Open
Red Matter 2
Requisition
After Life
Green Hell
Boneworks
Wandering in Space
The Twilight Zone
Shadowgate: Mines of Mythrok
Madison
Ultra Wings 2
Medieval Dynasty
Propagation: Paradise Hotel
Dropship Commander
The Last Worker
Tin Hearts
X8
Stranger Things VR game
Neolithic Dawn

ABnormal

It has been announced that Sony will no more announch games too far from release, to not put burden on developers and to lessen the risk of an unannounced delay. That surely includes PSVR 2, so they will probably announce titles only when they are relatively close to release.

mrmustard

Banned
Sounds good. I hope it's at least 20 new games and not all just ported Quest or patched PSVR1 games or 2 hour experiences.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sounds good if the majority is not just ported Quest or patched PSVR1 games or 2 hour experiences.
It makes sense for first games to be ported games from PSVR1 or Quest.
PS5 is 2.5 years old, psvr2 dev kits have probably only been out 1 year. You can't have full 3rd party games developed from scratch for it in just 1 year. It's an opportunity for devs that released PSVR1 and Quest games to port the games with enhancements for PSVR2 , while getting familiar with the hardware at the same time and make some extra money.
You have to wait 1 or 2 more years for games that aren't just quick ports and really take advantage of the hardware.

mrmustard

Banned
It makes sense for first games to be ported games from PSVR1 or Quest.
PS5 is 2.5 years old, psvr2 dev kits have probably only been out 1 year. You can't have full 3rd party games developed from scratch for it in just 1 year. It's an opportunity for devs that released PSVR1 and Quest games to port the games with enhancements for PSVR2 , while getting familiar with the hardware at the same time and make some extra money.
You have to wait 1 or 2 more years for games that aren't just quick ports and really take advantage of the hardware.
I already edited my post and lowered my expectation to 20 of the 100 games. My plan is to wait 1 year or so anyways, if i can resist.

What people aren't hearing here is that this means that a lot of games are getting VR modes like Gran Turismo 7.

This makes a lot of sense and it's pretty easy to get to 100.

You take 10 major companies Sony + 9 and let's say Sony's making 20 VR games and the rest are making 80.

Divide the 80 by 9 and round up a bit (as they did say over) that's 9 titles a piece.

say 5 games that have VR modes and 4 games that are full VR titles.

That's not a lot, especially once you double the number of developers from 9 to 18, which brings the total number of games per dev to closer to 4.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How many of those are actually just ports being made of games that have already been released for years now? 😂

Don't expect anything except PSVR until the Activion deal is done.

The Activision deal might be done as soon as this week. Microsoft has about two months to pull out of this deal to save 500 million dollars.

I think we will have a PlayStation showcase scheduled for May that will include Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, and TLOU Online.

mrmustard

Banned
The Activision deal might be done as soon as this week. Microsoft has about two months to pull out of this deal to save 500 million dollars.

I think we will have a PlayStation showcase scheduled for May that will include Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, and TLOU Online.
I think Microsoft is going for it.

I think Microsoft is going for it.
Going for what? If the CMA moves to block this without remedies, it's over.

EC will probably offer remedies, but they'll be stark like divesting from COD. We're going to know a lot more by the end of the week, and things will start moving around that.

mrmustard

Banned
Going for what? If the CMA moves to block this without remedies, it's over.

EC will probably offer remedies, but they'll be stark like divesting from COD. We're going to know a lot more by the end of the week, and things will start moving around that.
I meant they will fight to the end and not leave unsolicited early.

I meant they will fight to the end and not leave unsolicited early.

If the CMA comes out against this, it's absolutely over. You can read articles about the CMA and British courts... They aren't going to overrule the CMA, unlike the FTC they have pretty wide-sweeping powers.

Once it is clear that you aren't going to be victorious, you have to cut out early. Losing half a billion dollars when you're already struggling financially (xbox, not microsoft) over something that is done and done, makes no sense.

They'll fight it til April maybe, but they'll pull out.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why would ports of games not playable before on playstation (Quest games), or PSVR1 games be a bad thing?
You think everyone buying psvr2 has pcvr and PSVR1 already?
It’s padding a bs pr message of “ in development “ which leads people to think NEW games.

Ar¢tos

It’s padding a bs pr message of “ in development “ which leads people to think NEW games.
I never for a second thought that all of the 100 games were brand new developments.
I guess I'm more realistic than most....

nbkicker

Hopefully at least 50% of them.
More like 80-90% will be just be ports of games u can already play on another vr device at the min, would love sony for once knock it out the park with the psvr2 but can just see a repeat of the first one a big push at the launch, then odd game every yr from sony to push the hardware otherwise games from third parties which youll get on other vr devices

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
More like 80-90% will be just be ports of games u can already play on another vr device at the min, would love sony for once knock it out the park with the psvr2 but can just see a repeat of the first one a big push at the launch, then odd game every yr from sony to push the hardware otherwise games from third parties which youll get on other vr devices

But what if I don't own "other" VR devices?

saintjules

Agreed. I personally think they did away with the showcase. It was never said they would continuously do them.

Of course, it would be cool to see the future of games. But the way they're announcing games and releasing them with mini dives leading up to release has been just enough. For me anyway.

twilo99

$400-500

If we are still dealing with controllers and consoles in 7-10 years the industry is doing something wrong. Things feel stale.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gun Club and Swarm would be a couple games definitely worth porting to PSVR2.

It's lame that people are shitting on arcade-like experiences for VR. Those are the best imo. When people start qualifying only "AAA", full console style games as "true games" it makes me question how much they even play or care about VR. Most "AAA" style games(outside of driving/flying sims) would be hell to play in VR for any extended period of time.

Last edited:

Markio128

I don’t understand those complaining about quest ports tbh. What difference does it make? I reckon the percentage of PS5 owners that own/have owned a quest as well is incredibly small.

Personally, I’ve only ever played a golf game (it was great) on my brothers quest, so there are a ton of games I haven’t played. I’m sure that’s the same for most early adopters of psvr2.

Crayon

I don’t understand those complaining about quest ports tbh. What difference does it make? I reckon the percentage of PS5 owners that own/have owned a quest as well is incredibly small.

Personally, I’ve only ever played a golf game (it was great) on my brothers quest, so there are a ton of games I haven’t played. I’m sure that’s the same for most early adopters of psvr2.

It's most likely they either had a quest or a psvr one if they had anything at all. I suspect a large proportion will have never owned a VR.

That aside, I thought little upgrades to multiplatform games was justifying new consoles. This thing is a vastly from the quest and hardly even comparable to psvr one. I really doubt many of the perspective buyers had any of the thousand plus dollar headsets that are near this tier.

Top Bottom