• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Studios and Kojima Announce Tatical Espionage New IP

Kurimao

What if Sony gave Syphon Filter to Kojima.

What ever this is I want it more.

EjshPbJ.gif

Astray

Gold Member
This is basically Sony saying they have Kojima on lock (even OD didn't have mention of exclusivity Ala Blade IIRC).

Massive power move.

Seems like this is not going to be a video game in the traditional sense similar to how "OD" is experimenting with new technologies and ways to experience multimedia content. I wonder if we will see the same amount of concern trolling here that the OD presentation a month ago generated or if it was mostly due to the name of the publisher attached.

Thinking Reaction GIF by ABC TV + IVIEW

Seems like this is not going to be a video game in the traditional sense similar to how "OD" is experimenting with new technologies and ways to experience multimedia content. I wonder if we will see the same amount of concern trolling here that the OD presentation a month ago generated or if it was mostly due to the name of the publisher attached.

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

GymWolf

Thinking Reaction GIF by ABC TV + IVIEW
Jesus dude don't jinx it.

Kojima already has ds2 and OD to sniff his own farts for a couple of years, let this be a classic game.

Microsoft must be pissed, Kojima is using them for the more experimental games, where he is not sure if they will be a success, why the big titles are developed with Sony.
I take it you forgot to read the press release that mentions this new project will also be blending the video game/movie watching experience?

Generic

Kojimas work ethic is insane. Say what you will about his games but dude is a visionary still capable of delivering original, creative AAA stuff. Mocap and facial animations on DS2 was insane.
Nope, he's one of the biggest trend followers in the industry.

Interesting. Sounds like it might be a cross-media IP.

I don't know how this dude keeps up with multiple projects with so many moving parts. Crazy work ethic.
It's easy to announce projects on a stage and then disappear for years. Lets see if any of these games actually deliver and how long it takes for them to release. So far only one game has been made under the new studio and it was received with mixed reviews.

Papa_Wisdom

What if Sony gave Syphon Filter to Kojima.

What ever this is I want it more.

EjshPbJ.gif
You know that would actually be a brilliant idea.

Give him the name and left him craft the game as a new direction in however he felt fit with full creative control.

To me it sounded not like he wanted this new game to be more like a new type of interactive movie/game (mind numbingly extensive cutscenes nevertheless, with a game in between, like mgs) but rather that the game and an actual movie cut of it are to be developed as a package. Sorta like those two part movies that are made in one go to reduce their budget and don't needing to assemble the cast twice.

I guess with it being after DS2 (and OD) we won't see anything of it for years and it even might just be another agent or bioshock vita...

mortal

Gold Member
It's easy to announce projects on a stage and then disappear for years. Lets see if any of these games actually deliver and how long it takes for them to release. So far only one game has been made under the new studio and it was received with mixed reviews.
While true, I think it's important to keep in mind that Kojima often takes several lead roles in these projects. DS2, OD, and now PHYSINT.

I just find that level of drive impressive considering how long he's been doing this for, and how time-consuming and stressful game development can be.
I think most people would've burned out or retired by that point.

No jinx, just read the press release lol

"Of course this is an interactive "game", but the look, story, theme, cast, acting, fashion, sound, etc... are all at the next level of “Digital Entertainment" that could be called a "movie".

Tbh that just reads like a description of MGS to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

tmlDan

Is he gonna release a movie and game at the same time or something?

Honestly seems like every game he makes with Sony will become a movie as well, which makes total sense. Sony should have been doing this a decade or more ago, but i guess tech for movies has finally reached a point where this can be realized and not compromised

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What game did they do this in, for reference?

Alan Wake 2 is the most recent example.

For Quantum Break, they shot 4, 5 full length TV episodes (that's probably what Kojima is going to lean towards if I were to guess).

Top Bottom