• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Says It Was a MLB's Decision to Put MLB The Show 21 on Xbox GamePass at Launch

No shit it wasn't Sony's decision, why are they even making a statement? It's one thing to get cheated on by your spouse, it's something completely different to admit that you were in the corner beating off to it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And yet in 20 years Sony is there and leading the video game market. Credit where credit is due - Sony have competed and won against a much larger company who have burned immense amounts of cash trying to dominate.

And finally we’ve gotten to the point where MS is paying Sony for content.

Sony didn’t get and maintain their market leading and record breaking position by being incompetent - they did it by doing the right deals and making money.

I think it’s great MS are paying Sony to produce content - from a business perspective this is a good win for Sony and MLB.

And it’s great for the game itself and those xbox only gamers starved of solid content for years now, although personally I’ll pass this year.
You're right, Sony has done great in the 26 years they've had PS. Although you make it sound like MS was the biggest fish in the pond, when they joined the console fight it was 2001, an entire generation later after Sony already won with PS1. MS as a company is huge in PC and corporate stuff, they are are not a consumer goods company like Sony. So even though everyone knows who MS is, it doesn't mean they'll be the #1 choice for video games. Even their experience with gaming was PC focused at the time, not console focused.

That would be like Sony (a huge company too) trying to get into corporate services. Even though they are big, they'd get killed by much smaller software companies who focus on enterprise products. Sony probably couldn't even beat Cognos, which is software a lot companies I know seem to have dumped over the years for more recent products.

Good example is Sony dumping all their VAIO PCs and laptops. Billions of dollars of sales and they sold it because it was lousy. On the other hand, no name PC makers and mom and pop shops lasted longer. Sony TV marketshare has dropped like a rock the last 20 years too leading to giant losses. Put it this way. When Hisense and Vizio sell more than Sony you got brand issues.

When it comes to money, it only gets you so far. And MS shows spending some cash to innovate drives the industry. Take a look at Series S/X and PS5 and you can already see the giant gap in the way they do BC and sub plans. A lot more streamlined on Xbox. And no stupid streaming only either like PS Now does for some legacy games or PC. It's full downloads on console or PC for GP. Sony has been in the console game longer than MS, yet MS's systems work smoother.

You make it sound like Sony won the MLB multiplat deal. MS won by a mile, so you can put down the brave face.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You came to a thread to post about the content of an article that you’re now saying is not reliable.

I know being wrong stings - try not to do it so much!
You need to know the difference between “I believe” and what is 100% fact. In other words he may of heard but it’s not confirmed

ManaByte

Gold Member
yes, spiderman is on other systems. but sony owns all movie rights to spiderman. It's a no-brainer marvel gave them that deal.
Marvel didn’t offer them any Spider-Man game deal. They went to Sony and Insomniac and allowed them to make an exclusive game with ANY character they wanted. They could’ve made an exclusive X-Men game or a Ghost Rider Excite BIke clone. But Insomniac chose Spider-Man. It had NOTHING to do with the movies.

Edit: Also Disney holds the merchandise rights to Spider-Man (which games fall under) and those are actually MORE valuable than movie rights as they make about $1.6 billion every single year on Spider-Man licensing.

Last edited:

ToadMan

You need to know the difference between “I believe” and what is 100% fact. In other words he may of heard but it’s not confirmed

Uh huh. You believe games come to Gamepass for free - that your belief is wrong is your problem.

Much like this very thread where you believed the article until I showed you what it said and you then chose not to believe it.

So much confusion in you I sense. Actually it’s not confusion is it? Just console warrior spin 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ya. No facts. No dice.

It's like those analysts saying MS is going to buy EA in 2009. Then the rumour popped up again in 2018. That sure panned out.

What do you call it when a competitor pays so much money to get your content? From a business perspective this is a big win for Sony.
Lose an exclusive for how much? How much did they pay?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to article you’re commenting on - “a steep fee”.
So you're saying it's a big win for Sony to have them put an exclusive game on Xbox for a subjective term like "steep fee" (which you quoted before from the article in post #282), and don't even know how much money was involved.

Ok. lol
Harding-Rolls believes Microsoft paid a steep fee for MLB The Show 21 to sweeten the deal for MLB and Sony.

A swing and a miss for you lol

Last edited:

clintar

No shit it wasn't Sony's decision, why are they even making a statement? It's one thing to get cheated on by your spouse, it's something completely different to admit that you were in the corner beating off to it.
There's a take. Maybe they asked Sony how it went down? I guess they should have been asking why they were beating off in the corner. Gamers want to know!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Uh huh. You believe games come to Gamepass for free - that your belief is wrong is your problem.

Much like this very thread where you believed the article until I showed you what it said and you then chose not to believe it.

So much confusion in you I sense. Actually it’s not confusion is it? Just console warrior spin 🤷‍♂️
No i dont believe they come for free but they saying he believes a hefty sum was paid does not confirm anything

if you read other articles on how gamepass games get paid, its the amount of time people play them on how much they get paid.
not saying the article shared here is wrong but its not fact either as i said the words “believe” doesn’t show it as fact either

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
And finally we’ve gotten to the point where MS is paying Sony for content.

But not as much as Sony is paying Microsoft for Deathloop & Ghostwire. Hopefully the extra funds go into making Starfield and Elderscrolls even better 🤔

1594550829043.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
But not as much as Sony is paying Microsoft for Deathloop & Ghostwire. Hopefully the extra funds go into making Starfield and Elderscrolls even better 🤔

1594550829043.jpg
Yeah seems that people are forgetting that money is going the other way with those games

Chessmate

Banned

1594550829043.jpg

I can live very well with Microsoft paying Sony for the games I play for free. And I am sure, MLB will get their fair share, so I also support sports and thereby the health of the American people. Which again, doesn't cost me anything. But it's good to know they get back on their feet after this health crisis. If I can help by subscribing to Gamepass, I won't hesitate. And enjoy all the high quality games on the service while I'm there.

Not really envy the blue team though, who has to pay 70 dollars directly to Microsoft to play their games (which will be free for Xbox customers). Right after they were the only ones who had to pay for their own game. But maybe Bill Gates can wipe out another disease with their money.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It doesn't matter how much MS paid for MLB as it's going to be one of the games remembered for shifting massive amounts of momentum towards Game Pass.

Top Bottom