• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Says It Was a MLB's Decision to Put MLB The Show 21 on Xbox GamePass at Launch

FrankWza

What then?
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

on Ghostwire Tokyo:)
I'll enjoy it in a year.
Gonna be some break in period before that years up;)

FrankWza

If Sony put this game on PS Now, would they gain a shit tonne of new subscribers? The answer is no.
No. The hardcore TheShow players are preordered and fiending for the 16th. I’m sure even a few who are getting it on x have debated whether they want to drop full price just to get it a few days early and some free extra packs and stubs.

Megatron

Major Leagues Baseball trying to give leverage to Xbox just because Xbox is American brand ( well tbh Sony is partly now ) and ignoring Sony San Diego Studio contribution of making AAA baseball game

Without Sony San Diego all you got left is shitty RBI baseball

Shame on you major league
Yeah. How dare you make a deal to let millions of players play your game for free. That’s outrageous!!!

Devs need to make money to keep making the game. MLB knows Xbox gamers are fewer and don’t buy games anymore so they don’t have a choice. MS need to pay them to compensate.
Erm...Devs are paid for the development of the game. They are hired to make a game basically.

Interfectum

So I guess it is MLB who prevents from putting the game on PS+ or PS Now.
PS Now isn't really ready for the user acquisition mode that Game Pass is currently in. It would be a complete waste for Sony to put it on that service as it doesn't even support PS5 games yet and there's nothing to retain subs after people are bored of the game.

As for PS Plus, anyone on PS4/5 interested in MLB probably already have a Plus sub so they'd just lose money there too.

Hugare

its a core game that xbox players get it 'free' as part of their GP while ps players pay $70. ouch, i will be pissed if so :messenger_face_steam:

time to get GP? seems like a great value that MS is willing to pour resources into.

everyone needs to do the 3 years hack asap, suspect this is still open while MS hasnt reached their internal numbers. don't lose a great deal friends!
I'm sure that 1 million players who buy the series regularly will be pissed

But to Sony, 1 million is nothing.

I mean, its a baseball game. How mainstream can it be?

Its not that big of a deal. Thats my point.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony should stop wasting their time making or investing in 3rd party IP or license since they dont own the right on it.

Sony should stop wasting their time making or investing in 3rd party IP or license since they dont own the right on it.
Their best selling PS4 exclusive is a 3rd party license IP and their best selling exclusive series is a 3rd party license IP.

They should not stop.

If Sony put this game on PS Now, would they gain a shit tonne of new subscribers? The answer is no.

It's better for Sony to put this game on PS+ after a year or before the new iteration comes out to let the PS+ subs have a taste and perhaps like it enough to get hooked on the series. Although I think they've already done that with MLB 19. I didn't download it though, I'm not really into that game.

MaulerX

MLB is the publisher. As people have hinted, Sony got squat from MS.

Exactly. Not sure why people are having a hard time with this.

Nobody is saying Sony is not getting paid for making the game. Just that MS's payment for the Game Pass deal went to MLB. Not Sony.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So Sony was powerless with this decision. Still their response shows that they are at least aware of the optics. Not that they necessarily needed the confirmation, but I'm they know now to reconsider their own strategy when it comes to future licensed IPs.

Either way it goes, it still looks bad for Sony. The general public are not going to know how this went down, though I kinda doubt they would really care.

longdi

Banned

arrogant sony thinks it is not a big deal, sure 🤷‍♀️

Nyxir

Its a big game in the country which has the much compition between the two. How is this not a big deal. Its a pretty smart move.

DaGwaphics

Devs need to make money to keep making the game. MLB knows Xbox gamers are fewer and don’t buy games anymore so they don’t have a choice. MS need to pay them to compensate.

ricky gervais laughing GIF by Golden Globes

Didn't MS just post their best quarter in the history of the gaming division? Wasn't that primarily fueled by third-party transactions?

I think yes.

Zoro7

Banned
Its a big game in the country which has the much compition between the two. How is this not a big deal. Its a pretty smart move.
Because they are getting absolutely trampled in Europe lol. But focus on America where they are already doing well.

I did

You should do the same and check the NPD before posting:

MLB 17: 1.16 M
MLB 18: 1.06 M

No data for 19 and 20.

The game has its niche audience and it cant grow much

You didn't checked the NPD data or any info for MLB 19 or 20, yet you telling me to check NPD before posting. LOL I'm pretty sure that you know that the vast majority of members migrate to ERA and some data or leaked numbers are there.

So, you're saying that MLB CAN'T grow much. Let's see with MLB 19. March 2019

MLB 19: The Show debuts as the third best-selling game of March. Launch month sales of MLB 19: The Show are the highest in franchise history, and also set a new all-time high for a baseball genre game.

April 2019.

Days Gone launch month was between 850k and 1 mil. and still didn't cracked in YTD Top 10 overall software sales where MLB is at #10. So, easily +1 mil. for MLB 19.

May 2019

MLB rose on YTD overall charts to #9.

And finally MLB 19 disappeared from the overall top 20 charts after 5 months ( still was on PS4 chart ). IMO MLB 19 is +2 million seller easily

MLB 20

MLB The Show 20 was the 3rd best-selling game of March 2020, and instantly becomes the 5th best-selling game of 2020. MLB The Show 20 is the fastest selling game in MLB The Show franchise history, with launch month sales exceeding those of MLB The Show 19.

MLB 20 was in front of Madden 20 and Resident Evil 3 on YTD top 10 chart in June

MLB 20 was in front of Mario Kart 8 and Mortal Kombat 11 YTD Top 10 chart in August :

September is the last month where MLB 20 was in YTD Top 10 charts

So, IMO, The Show 20 beated The Show 19 numbers. So, in last 2 years it showed big growth on PS platform, you said it can't grow much.

In last few years MLB The Show was the real money maker for Sony.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I did

You should do the same and check the NPD before posting:

MLB 17: 1.16 M
MLB 18: 1.06 M

No data for 19 and 20.

The game has its niche audience and it cant grow much

It’s also a $60+ yearly sports game with repeat buyers and micro transactions. It’ll certainly see a bump on a new console.

MaulerX

Part of the GamePass money also goes to Sony. Sony will get a cut for every copies sold, MTX, and of course, from GamePass deal. They made a game, why they wouldn't be paid for it from an every form of a deal. :/

MS paid MLB. Not Sony. What's hard to understand? What MLB does with the payment is anybody's guess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Part of the GamePass money also goes to Sony. Sony will get a cut for every copies sold, MTX, and of course, from GamePass deal. They made a game, why they wouldn't be paid for it from an every form of a deal. :/
That's up for guessing like everyone else has.

One extreme is Sony got iron fisted to do multiplat or lose the license and get paid normal. The other extreme is Sony is in on all the GP money, mtx etc.... (share the wealth). Then there's a middle ground of let's say MLB gets most of the MS money but Sony might get some extra costs for dev fees and that's it. MLB gets the rest.

saintjules

Whether you like or hate these guys, Fonz was bringing up an interesting discussion surrounding this (timestamp)

Last edited:
1. Sony Computer Entertainment paid MLB to get the License to develop a Video Game.

2. Sony had to agree to develop also an XBox Version of the Game in order to get the License.

3. Sony keeps the Money from every Game sold on PlayStation Consoles.

4. Sony will not receive any Money from Microsoft! Sony has nothing to do with the Deal between the MLB and Microsoft.

5. Microsoft made a Deal with the MLB to bring the Game to Game Pass!

6. Microsoft paid Money directly to the MLB.

7. If Sony sells 1 Copy of the Game on PSN then they made $79,95 Dollars revenue and nothing more ;)

8. Sony PlayStation owners have to pay $79,95 Dollars to play 1 Game while XBox owners pay from $1-$10 Dollars to play over 100 Games.

9. End of Story ;)

Gotta be honest here. This is baseball. No one cares.
Pretty much this.

I can guarantee you the people who care in this thread have not even downloaded or even played the game ever. This is all for console warrior points.

I downloaded and played it once out of curiosity and swiftly deleted it after a few minutes. It's like cricket games. It bored me to tears. The graphics does look really nice though. I'd give it that.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
4. Sony will not receive any Money from Microsoft! Sony has nothing to do with the Deal between the MLB and Microsoft.

You think Sony are going to sign away all their royalties and share of income generated from MTX? Not likely!

The deal with MLB would be that they would agree to allow the game to be published on Xbox, not that would do it for nothing.

lefty1117

Gold Member
18 million Gamepass subscribers. The Show has an ultimate team mode (Diamond Dynasty) with RMT. There is a lot of potential money to come out of Gamepass. Let's say 25% of those 18 million install MLB to check it out, and spend maybe $20 on a set of card packs. To them, they have still invested less in the game than they would have without Gamepass. And that would be true. So it's a fair assumption to think a significant percentage of people might choose to buy a card pack. At those very guesstimated numbers, you're talking $90 million.

Now let's say the game was not on Gamepass. If the sales numbers I've seen quoted at around 1 million sales are true, and let's say the average buy price when you factor in the multiple editions is $80, then you're at $80 million. That install base of 1 million users is what would be trawled for ongoing RMT. But in the Gamepass scenario you're looking at a much, much larger pool to entice into card pack purchases, and just from listing the game on the service you could be looking at more revenue just from people "sampling" the game, not even factoring in hardcore players/whales.

That is the strength of Gamepass and as it continues to add more subscribers it becomes more and more attractive for publishers to put their stuff on it. Especially the big boys. But the subscriber numbers are key. I didn't know they had 18 million subs. That seems like a healthy number. It seems like a shrewd decision by MLB to force the game onto that platform.

Last edited:

ToadMan

While I'm sure this isn't the case here. There are developers that sell the entirety of the software to the publisher at an agreed upon price and never get a penny more. Some devs make it work like that, moving on to the next project and repeating. In that scenario it's up to the pub to recoup what they spent for the title and any additional profits are theirs to keep.

This very rarely happens. It may happen for
new studios, indie devs and contract developments - but then it’s not a publisher/studio relationship, it’s a client/supplier relationship.

This isn’t any of that.

ToadMan

Harding-Rolls believes Microsoft paid a steep fee for MLB The Show 21to sweeten the deal for MLB and Sony

keep believing it as fact dude, no concrete proof

You came to a thread to post about the content of an article that you’re now saying is not reliable.

I know being wrong stings - try not to do it so much!

ToadMan

I think it was a license renewal condition: either you develop an Xbox version too or we do not give you the license period.

I actually don’t think the MLB has the leverage to put it this forcefully.

There’s the RBI game that the MLB produces. Far as I know that doesn’t sell.

Then there’s OOTP which is licensed and allows the player to simulate any league with accurate names and logos from the last century.

OOTP is a relatively unknown game - it’s no football manager - yet they can buy full rights to years worth of data and presumably clear enough money to keep going ($35 rrp btw).

Evidently none of the big games companies are interested in the MLB license or they’d have turned up and money hatted it from Sony already.

The MLB license must be one of the cheapest around. So I don’t think MLB had the clout to go to Sony and insist anything about the only Baseball game that sells well and promotes the sport.

I suspect that conversation was a lot more collaborative and “mutually beneficial” than some in this thread are trying to spin. By extension MLB is not going to piss off Sony when they’re the company producing the one successful Baseball game worthy of the name.

I think it goes without saying Sony got the license for MLB at effectively zero cost - but I’m gonna guess it wasn’t worth more than perhaps $5 million a year -$5 from each copy sold based on about a million sold. It couldn’t be much more than that to make producing The Show worthwhile.

But beyond that I think MLB then hope to ride Sony’s coat tails so offered a preferential deal to get Sony to put it on other platforms. They probably figure that $5 per sale if they can get up to 1.5 million sales is a good outcome. If they just get MS to pay for those 500,000 extra sales through a Gamepass deal - even better, risk is eliminated.

I think some people here seem to forget the balance of power right now. Sony is the video game market leader and makes record amounts of revenue from gaming. It turns an actual publically audited profit from gaming and has done so against multiple competitors of which one is amongst richest corps in the World.

Then you’ve got MLB - not a video game publisher of note and with a sport that is struggling to stay relevant coming out of a pandemic which massively reduced income. Then in the other side there’s MS - a very rich company that has spent 20 years unable to subdue Sony’s dominance despite throwing immense amounts of money around and seemingly not making 1 cent in profit from gaming.

And in the face of all this, it’s supposed to be Sony that is bumbling and incompetent, blind sided by the MLB and MS and suckered into developing an Xbox game for free without tying up the contractual side!?

Uh... no. If Sony was that incompetent we’d all be playing Halo Infinite Craig edition on our xbones for a $200 per week rental fee by now because that’s all there is on the market.

ToadMan

You know what are Phill Spencer super powers? He is rich.

And yet in 20 years Sony is there and leading the video game market. Credit where credit is due - Sony have competed and won against a much larger company who have burned immense amounts of cash trying to dominate.

And finally we’ve gotten to the point where MS is paying Sony for content.

Sony didn’t get and maintain their market leading and record breaking position by being incompetent - they did it by doing the right deals and making money.

I think it’s great MS are paying Sony to produce content - from a business perspective this is a good win for Sony and MLB.

And it’s great for the game itself and those xbox only gamers starved of solid content for years now, although personally I’ll pass this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom