• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Says It Was a MLB's Decision to Put MLB The Show 21 on Xbox GamePass at Launch

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is it still beneficial for Sony to hold the rights to MLB, rather than allowing anyone to license? In other words, is the money SONY makes off GamePass/Xbox worth it? How did SONY sign a contract where MLB dictates what consoles the licensed product will be released on? Dumb legal counsel?

Easy. Sony needs MLB more than MLB needs Sony.

Wizz-Art

If Sony was in bed with the MLB first, they paid money to dress her up nicely, take her out to dinner and stuff. Allround treat her with respect. Along comes Xbox, buries her with gifts and all nice things at first so she falls in love with them. When that happens they go on to put her on Game Pass for all to enjoy for a price – show them their love and feels a bit of guild for all those gifts and this is a way to repay them. Well, doesn't that make Xbox the loverboy and not the bull, MLB the victim and Sony nothing more than an cuckold?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If Sony was in bed with the MLB first, they paid money to dress her up nicely, take her out to dinner and stuff. Allround treat her with respect. Along comes Xbox, buries her with gifts and all nice things at first so she falls in love with them. When that happens they go on to put her on Game Pass for all to enjoy for a price – show them their love and feels a bit of guild for all those gifts and this is a way to repay them. Well, doesn't that make Xbox the loverboy and not the bull, MLB the victim and Sony nothing more than an cuckold?
I am quite speechless, this is a quite disgusting way to put it. Congrats on equating respect with weakness/bad traits and exploitation (guilt based) as a plus. Joke post?

Maybe this, maybe that. Do you actually know what you're talking about or not?
Yes, that's the general rule of thumb when it comes to sport licenses games. So if someone think Sony got a different special deal, they're welcome to give a reason why or source.

And that those games work that way is posted in company filings and talked about in conference calls

Wizz-Art

I am quite speechless, this is a quite disgusting way to put it. Congrats on equating respect with weakness/bad traits and exploitation (guilt based) as a plus. Joke post?

People were making the analogy of cuckold and it made me think about it that it really doesn't tell the whole story.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Totally.

It doesn't even matter if Sony got a ton of money to do multiplat or were forced to do it for free. None of us know the details and never will.

Either way, they agreed to do Xbox.

So it shows regardless of the contractual extremes, they green lit it at Sony HQ since it was still worth doing.
Ah, so it was part of a new contract renewal? That mes sense. I just figured the terms of the contract would have leaked. Of course, I’m sure Sony got paid a bundle for Gamepass.

im not trying to put words into your mouth so im going to ask you, are u saying you think they just developed the game for xbox for free? and as payment they get to keep the license to mlb and royalties? lol. i can assure you they got alot of money up front, time + resources = pay me aint not spinning around that.

Again only 1 company is cucking, if you have confidence in your product you dont give it away for virtually nothing unless youre running a promotion or trying to build awareness to put your self on the map relative to your competitor.
Yes, just like EA is developing FIFA for "free"
Or like 2K is developing NBA2K "for free"
Or Sony developed Spider-Man "for free"

They get paid in form of the profits they get from selling the games as the publisher.
The license holder is not paying the developer or the development costs.

Three

That’s what I want to know but I’m assuming because they wanted people to fully buy the game instead of downloading/streaming it.
Because it doesn't make sense for them. Their business plan was to sell the game and they know how much they can sell. For xbox it made sense since the franchise was never on xbox, there is no fanbase, the initial preorders were likely abysmal. People are making a big fuss of it because of wars but MLB The Show got very little attention.
So MS make a deal to offer it on GP then at least that way rake in microtransactions money on stubs and packs and good PR. They would be giving up little to no sales anyway.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeap... they choose what they want.

The only choice Sony has is to stop to developer the game.

Why would they? Just reskin it like FIFA and add "surprise" mechanics and spend less than $1M/year developing the sequel. You have the ultimate power over MLB to use the least effort and maximize profit. Wanna break the deal and get back the license of 5-10 years? Pay Sony a penalty fee in billions of dollar in cold cash.

Last edited:

Hugare

People loosing their minds and making threads about Jim Ryan for a game that sold what, 1 million copies when it was a PS exclusive?

It's not like God of War became multiplatform or something.

It's a baseball game. That sells just ok. No one at Sony will loose sleep because of it.

Some of you should log out and go out more often

There's no split. Deal is between MLB and MS only. Sony got nothing to do with it.

PS fanboys trying hard to convince everyone that Sony allowed MLB to be on Xbox, and took money for deal. Sony will ger regular cut that every developer gets on Xbox but Game pass deal money is with MLB

There is. Sony will get a cut for every copies sold, MTX, and of course, from GamePass deal. They made a game, why they wouldn't be paid for it from an every form of a deal

Jim Ryan for a game that sold what, 1 million copies when it was a PS exclusive?

Show was the always one of the best selling games in US. Always high on the charts. Surely above 1 million. You can check previous NPD data

b6a6es

Banned
That’s what happens when you Don’t Publish your Own Multiplatform Games , you get Played like a Bitch.

Microsoft doesn’t shy from publishing their multiplatform games like Minecraft games & Psychonauts 2 on other consoles like Ps4 & Switch, not only to they get paid big but also Control the publishing process and agreements so this shit doesn’t happend

SIE should’ve been the publisher for MLB on Xbox & future multiplatform versions of MLB imo, really big fuck up on Jim’s part that costed this PR nightmare IMO

Their only resort now is to put the PS4/5 version on PS+ Collection ASAP (since SIE is still the Publisher of MLB 21 on Their console)

Last edited:

Ozzie666

If Sony made MLB into the Japan league or Korean league, it would probably do very well in Asian Markets. Wonder how much work that would be.
In our neck of the wood, we always had to buy MLB The Show Digitally, used to love it on my Vita. Great game to have, for grinding, on the go!

longdi

Banned
People loosing their minds and making threads about Jim Ryan for a game that sold what, 1 million copies when it was a PS exclusive?

It's a baseball game. That sells just ok. No one at Sony will loose sleep because of it.

its a core game that xbox players get it 'free' as part of their GP while ps players pay $70. ouch, i will be pissed if so :messenger_face_steam:

time to get GP? seems like a great value that MS is willing to pour resources into.

everyone needs to do the 3 years hack asap, suspect this is still open while MS hasnt reached their internal numbers. don't lose a great deal friends!

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s really one of the best sports simulations available. Of course that doesn’t help if you don’t like baseball in the first place! In fact it probably makes it worse because this isn’t an arcade version of baseball.

Oh and it can be a tough game to get good at - it’s timing and coordination for batting and at the higher levels it’s just as frustrating as the real thing. Expect a lot of At Bats to just end up as groundouts, fly outs or just strike outs. That’s the price of playing a sim - it reflects all the great parts but all the boring parts too...

But it’s definitely worth a look. It’s usually got great graphics too but this year supporting a lot more platforms and at the beginning of a gen I don’t think it’ll be much of graphical boost over last gen.
I’m really not a sports fan and baseball is not something I’m all that familiar with, but since it’s there I’ll definitely give it a try. In that sense it’s already a success for both the dev and publisher. Might not end with millions of new sales but the talk is PR and Gamepass will put the game in the hands of gamers that would never pay to see if it’s good, some will probably buy it or get someone else to buy it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony’s answer to game pass, specifically day one third party game pass, should be threaten to delist the game from the PlayStation store like they did cyberpunk and not allow it be published on PlayStation, meanwhile send out messages telling their audience not to buy games that are day one on game pass. I’m serious. These publishers want to give their game away to people who never cared about it to begin with but PlayStation gamers have to pay? Call these publishers bluff and watch them fall in line.
Herr Ryan, we ave pulled ze games from ze store.

Danke, Danke.

R61f31182c1bb5ce62de9a1cac7e0b8a3

Is MLB actually popular outside of America (and possibly Japan)?

Baseball is popular in countries that belonged to US colonial empire or heavily influenced by the US.
In that sense it was always strange that it was a PlayStation exclusive.

I am one of the few people in my country who understands the rules of the baseball. But honestly my best childhood memories of the game is my dad giving me money to buy a hamburger.

I'm sick of people going on about this everywhere... it's really not that big a deal. Most of the world doesn't care about baseball, it's a niche title for Sony and they don't have control of the IP. If they published one of their IP-owned games where they have full control on Game Pass... that would be another story. It's not the end of the world, this is an overblown reaction.

Last edited:

FrankWza

3 years hack
:)
I guess. You could also say after 15 years that shits been beaten into the ground and x is getting some really sloppy seconds after being unable to perform for 15 years without a viable MLB game. But...when Deathloop releases....:)

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned

This right here, now everyone gives a fuck about some baseball game. When the game hardly sells over 1 million copies.

But...when Deathloop releases....:)
What then? The whole timed exclusive shenanigans are there to associate a franchise with a specific platform. Shrouding exclusivity in mystery by not specifying dates is also a common tactic from Sony.

This time though, everyone knows they'll be able to play the game for "free" in a year. Not to mention any sequels might not even release on Playstation going forward.

Thanks for beta testing I guess. I'll enjoy it in a year. Plenty to play till then. Like MLB.

DaGwaphics

There is never a case where a publisher takes 100% of revenue for a product.

While I'm sure this isn't the case here. There are developers that sell the entirety of the software to the publisher at an agreed upon price and never get a penny more. Some devs make it work like that, moving on to the next project and repeating. In that scenario it's up to the pub to recoup what they spent for the title and any additional profits are theirs to keep.

Bramble

I don't know what is funnier: the people that actually doubted this, the fact that Sony had to make a statement, or the people capping for this while never played a second of MLB or watched a match of baseball in their entire life.

DaGwaphics

I don't know what is funnier: the people that actually doubted this, the fact that Sony had to make a statement, or the people capping for this while never played a second of MLB or watched a match of baseball in their entire life.

All depends on where your from. It would be extremely unusual to find an American without some experience with baseball, either playing when school age or spectating.

Zeroing

Banned
Is MLB actually popular outside of America (and possibly Japan)?
Looks at Europe....

Nope here it is not. Baseball didn’t gain traction after the World War II ended, but that doesn’t mean people can’t be interested in a baseball game.

Bramble

All depends on where your from. It would be extremely unusual to find an American without some experience with baseball, either playing when school age or spectating.

True, but you and I both know a lot of fanboys were capping for this game coming to GP and some of them won't even touch it.

99Luffy

Banned
Yes, that's the general rule of thumb when it comes to sport licenses games. So if someone think Sony got a different special deal, they're welcome to give a reason why or source.

And that those games work that way is posted in company filings and talked about in conference calls
In case I wasn't clear. I'm asking you to source your information.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Have it come out on Switch every year than a Nintendo Switch release will tell you something about Sony and mlb.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I wonder how bad the Xbox version of this game is going to be since it's developed by Sony. Maybe Saints row 2 PC levels of bad?

Fredrik

I wonder how bad the Xbox version of this game is going to be since it's developed by Sony. Maybe Saints row 2 PC levels of bad?
If a million gamers are their previous target audience then it’ll be bad PR for them to release a downright bad port for 20 million people to try and rant about.

But Sony will likely apply Microsoft’s first or better strategy here. And since it’s not first on Playstation it’ll be better. I’m sure DF will show how big the gap is.

Agent X

That would be a good idea but They would loose money if they did, and thats not what jim ryan is about.

They might lose customers if they don't do it.

As long as that people see MLB The Show 21 is on Xbox Game Pass and not on either of Sony's subscription services, this could alter their perceptions and expectations of the services and the companies behind them.

If Sony put this game on PS Now, would they gain a shit tonne of new subscribers? The answer is no.

They might, or they might not. No one would really know unless they tried.

If Sony did it, then it would at least be a gesture of good will for their customers, and would help counteract all of the negative press they've been getting over this issue. No one would be able to accuse them of being greedy or stingy. It would put this entire argument to bed.

Top Bottom