• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I love the subtle implementation of DualSense features in Demon's Souls. When you draw your bow, the trigger locks halfway, creating resistance, and you can choose to let go or draw even harder. When you cast the miracle Regeneration, you can hear the spell working from the mic, and feel the spell being active through rumble, the rumble sorta "rotating". Hard to explain, but it's really cool. These are such small things, yet it contributes so much to the depth and immersion of the gameplay.

I don't think I can ever go back to regular controller after this. It's really a game changer so far. No Man's Sky also has great implementation of DualSense making the game such a joy to play. And I haven't even started Astros Playroom yet.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I love the subtle implementation of DualSense features in Demon's Souls. When you draw your bow, the trigger locks halfway, creating resistance, and you can choose to let go or draw even harder. When you cast the miracle Regeneration, you can hear the spell working from the mic, and feel the spell being active through rumble, the rumble sorta "rotating". Hard to explain, but it's really cool. These are such small things, yet it contributes so much to the depth and immersion of the gameplay.

I don't think I can ever go back to regular controller after this. It's really a game changer so far. No Man's Sky also has great implementation of DualSense making the game such a joy to play. And I haven't even started Astros Playroom yet.

You are in for a treat! Such a pleasant surprise and fun little platformer that was a great trip down Playstation memory lane. Real easy platinum too if you're so inclined.

You are in for a treat! Such a pleasant surprise and fun little platformer that was a great trip down Playstation memory lane. Real easy platinum too if you're so inclined.

Yeah, everyone should play Astro's. Wonderful little game. Hope it gets a full blown sequel at some point.

The game can be plat'd in less than 7 hours, which is nice too

Just playing Ghost of Tsushima for the first time on ps5 and it looks and plays great. My only complaint is the fixed controls. Having enjoyed the layout on demons souls and god of war I’d like the quick and heavy attack mapped to the triggers, it feels dated and awkward using face buttons for such actions.

I have only played GoT on PS5 as well and I love it. I have logged 55 hours in the game so far, plan on finishing up he plat today. I can't compare it to running on PS4, as I never experienced it there, but man is it just a delight on PS5. I don't fast travel anywhere, I ride and enjoy the scenery while picking up flowers along the way.

Great, great game

edit: It also sounds great too. The directional audio I am getting on my headphones is phenomenal in this game

It’s funny have played Cold War,astros playroom,devil may cry 5,sackboy and demon souls with no crashes,yet I play miles morales and crash.

Miles and the new COD have been the two main culprits with crashes so far. Did you get a hard crash (had to unplug the system) or just a game crash?

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

Yep. Imo it makes better use than the spiderman games

I have only played GoT on PS5 as well and I love it. I have logged 55 hours in the game so far, plan on finishing up he plat today. I can't compare it to running on PS4, as I never experienced it there, but man is it just a delight on PS5. I don't fast travel anywhere, I ride and enjoy the scenery while picking up flowers along the way.

Great, great game

edit: It also sounds great too. The directional audio I am getting on my headphones is phenomenal in this game

Miles and the new COD have been the two main culprits with crashes so far. Did you get a hard crash (had to unplug the system) or just a game crash?
I’ve had the system turn off all by itself and when I turned it back on I got a message saying it’s repairing something,don’t have an external or have it on standby and this is when I played it at launch I have not played it since.

I'm also planning on buying GoT with my PS5. It really benefits alot from the performance upgrade. Same thing with Dreams as I've read the game is alot smoother on the PS5.

Grinchy

Banned
I have been slightly addicted to Ghost of Tsushima for the past week. I wasn't overly thrilled with it early on. I think it takes a little too long to build up into the game it actually is later in, but once I got there, I've been loving it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I have been slightly addicted to Ghost of Tsushima for the past week. I wasn't overly thrilled with it early on. I think it takes a little too long to build up into the game it actually is later in, but once I got there, I've been loving it.

I played through the main story when i had my PS4 Pro.....want to redownload it again on my PS5 now and go for the plat eventually i think!

The mini-vac I ordered to clean up any dust buildup in my PS5 arrives today. Curious to see if anything significant has accumulated over the last 6 weeks or so. I keep my gaming area very clean, we'll see

How many updates have we had since launch?

I believe 3, I could be wrong though. I remember three. The last one was on Dec 9th, I think (someone correct me if I am wrong).

I feel like we are due for another one this week, unless they are pushing a major update out next with new features, in which case may take longer to go through QA

Last edited:

DJ12

With that out of the way, lets talk about how fucking broken the image quality mode is in this game. it chugs and stutters like crazy in some turns even if there are no cars on screen. you can be leading the lap and it will stutter and chug for a game 2 seconds which is an eternity in a racing game. these arent framedrops, these are stutters you see on pc games. this is clearly broken and im quite frankly flabbergasted by how this hasnt been fixed. apparently people have been complaining about it since november when this issue was introduced in a patch that added vsync to the PS5 version, and evo hasnt fixed it.
Codemasters clearly let MS ninja's into the codebase to boost performance a touch, guess they added a SSD speed detection routine that if it was too fast would clog the system with momentary temp file creations causing the console to have issues. No prizes for guessing which console this would effect :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
After playing with the PS5 controller since November 12th, I used the PS4 controller for the first time again. It feels like a piece of shit in comparison now. I was really surprised by how cheap it felt.

I used to game with the Xbox controller on my PC and now I use my Dualsense. The DualSense feels much better to me in my opinion. I do miss the matching button prompts though.

Trogdor1123

How is borderlands 3? I'm wondering if I should just grab it during the ps5 sale or to wait.

Loved 1 and 2 but hated the prequel.

How is borderlands 3? I'm wondering if I should just grab it during the ps5 sale or to wait.

I enjoyed it alot and I'm definitely planning on playing it on my PS5. However there's no good replacement for Handsome Jack in the game. The Calypso Twins are really annoying and just terrible villains. The story kind of sucks but I do enjoy the dual modes that the guns have.

Grinchy

Banned

IMO it's horrible. I only played as much of it as I did because I was playing online with my brother and we hadn't played anything together in a while.

The gunplay isn't great, the act of looting and inventory management are terrible, the mission structure is bad and the story/characters/dialog are atrocious. It has like no redeeming value whatsoever.

This video was recommended to me today.

Hail to the king, baby... PS1, PS2, PS3 games + Blu-ray movies. What a beast.

One thing I miss about Ps3 is the fact that it was designed to be heart of Playstation ecosystem. You could easily went it PSP/PSV sections of the shop and buy games for them normally. PS4 was really barebones compared to that.

Freeman76

I know Covid is causing a lot of problems but its still hard to believe they havent got more supply out yet. Gonna be months before they are readily available

I know Covid is causing a lot of problems but its still hard to believe they havent got more supply out yet. Gonna be months before they are readily available

Yeah there's like one shop selling one it for 24th January in Poland but you have to buy console bundled with second pad, year of plus and 2 games

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
One thing I miss about Ps3 is the fact that it was designed to be heart of Playstation ecosystem. You could easily went it PSP/PSV sections of the shop and buy games for them normally. PS4 was really barebones compared to that.
One thing I miss is the orchestral boot sound. I mean they got rid of it for good eventually, I don’t mean because I don’t use my PS3 anymore.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One thing I miss is the orchestral boot sound. I mean they got rid of it for good eventually, I don’t mean because I don’t use my PS3 anymore.
In retrospect I liked that generation more than I thought I would have. It sucks I did not have a setup able to take advantage of the SACD la back before they patched it out of the system :/.

Hostile_18

Banned
Anyone who bought the original Bioshock Trilogy when it came out have you still got access to Infinite? I've lost the licence on the transition and restoring licences didn't work.

(Edit: UK)

Last edited:

DrDamn

Anyone who bought the original Bioshock Trilogy when it came out have you still got access to Infinite? I've lost the licence on the transition and restoring licences didn't work.

(Edit: UK)
Try looking in your library and sorting A-Z. Could be a general system search is being up the wrong item. Or did you transfer the install and it's not available? It was on PS+ wasn't it? Did your PS+ expire?

This week will mark a month since the last system update, I believe.

My spider sense is tingling that one will drop this week, possibly with a new feature of some sort (maybe folders? maybe dynamic themes? enabling the internal expansion bay and listing compatible drives? probably unlikely, but a kid can dream).

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake

It's always like this with consoles except for the PS3 and PSX. 114 million people own PS4s. That took 7 years. So on average 16 million units per year. They are not going to ramp production much higher than the average because that would be too expensive and factories have other products using capacity so they will be stuck making maybe 20 million per year at peak. Since we can assume more than 20 million PS4 owners want one soon, it will take some time for demand to be met to a level where they are in stores on the shelf and even when that happens, there will be periods where the system is still hard to get like holidays and big releases. It was like this with the PS4 and Switch. Covid has had more of an increase on demand than a decrease in supply, outside of slowing down the supply chain that has been basically added in to the shipping time.

Ebay prices have come down because scalping was only a tiny fraction of the 3+ million units they have reportedly delivered so far and demand at that price is cratering because most of it was parents spoiling their kids. Its not going to be worth it for many people to scalp one for maybe $100 bucks profit so that will continue to decay. I'd expect to see them going for ~$650 ( quick 10% profit) on Amazon intermittently for a while alongside the absurd 1k+ ones that will always be there.

Whatever. I got mine and will play it soon. I think it is grey and not white. It matches my light grey walls more than the white woodwork.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Had my first major hardware failure just now. Put the PS5 in rest mode, went to work, and when I got home I notice the yellow lights are not on. It's dead. Can't start the console from remote or controller. Manage to get the disc out (Demon's Souls in drive) and then the console powers up. Rebuilding database message. Sent a rapport to Sony. Damn, I legit thought it was bricked. Really bummed me out, has been working flawlessly up until now.

We need a new State of Play for Destruction All-Stars and Returnal. Unless they're going to re-delay it.

I feel like I have seen almost nothing regarding Destruction All-Stars, like just in general. Maybe I missed something, though.

Still, can't help but have a bad feeling about it. It will be free, so can't really complain either way, but I am not expecting the next Rocket League

Had my first major hardware failure just now. Put the PS5 in rest mode, went to work, and when I got home I notice the yellow lights are not on. It's dead. Can't start the console from remote or controller. Manage to get the disc out (Demon's Souls in drive) and then the console powers up. Rebuilding database message. Sent a rapport to Sony. Damn, I legit thought it was bricked. Really bummed me out, has been working flawlessly up until now.

Many of us have described almost identical crashes. It scared the shit out of me the first time it happened, was almost certain it bricked out since even the power button on the console wasn't working. Had to unplug it from the wall to get it to reboot. Scary when it happens.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Wow so much for launch window
its a meaningless term anyways. it really just means 1st 6 months after launch, so like December to May

Who knows, it could come earlier but I doubt it cause Destruction Allstars is February and Returnal is March. So probably April for Ratchet

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Try looking in your library and sorting A-Z. Could be a general system search is being up the wrong item. Or did you transfer the install and it's not available? It was on PS+ wasn't it? Did your PS+ expire?

Strange I cant find it in my library but it is on the PSN. I click to download, it looks like it is but the tile doesn't place on the OS home screen.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Added Greedfall to the library now. Always wanted to play it but never got around to it. I also bought a physical copy of Mass Effect Andromeda for 6 dollars. It was marked down 90%. Guess someone wants to clear stock, 😆

Top Bottom