• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Test(GigaPixels/s): PS5 outperforms RTX 2080 by a wide margin under heavy load

Yep, the PS5 is running Ass Creed Valhalla equivalent to a 3070 (2080 Ti) at minimum. So much for Ampere graphics cards blowing the consoles out of the water, like some claimed.
I have a feeling you don't own a gaming PC lol

anyway, console-only owners need to stop being so noob like. It's always like this, console comes out, it actually has decent hardware and can compete with current graphic cards...

problem you stay with this hardware for like...7 years. how old are some of you that you don't...understand this concept?

or in other words how many """gamers""" are making threads like these that dont really PC game but only play on consoles.

Yup that's PC gaming alright.

Paying 1000+ dollars for marginal better graphics.

do you really think that's the only reason people pc game...

how are you on a well known gaming forum and only play on console...

you do understand most pc gamers own consoles too right? so what does that say about you? that you don't like this hobby as much as you think you do...

I started gaming on PC as soon as I saw half life 2 was a PC game only back in 04. Don't really know how so many people that thought that game for example looked cool, didn't do the same lol

Last edited:
The fact is that if you buy a PS5 you’ll have something that will perform better overtime. If you buy a pc graphics card it will be the opposite.
PS5 is a great investment.

Edit: what I meant is, in 3 years the PS5 will be producing better graphics than today. The 2080 owner will have to play new games at medium settings.

lol what?

a 2080 will be able to play that same game on ps5 with the same settings.....

if a ps5 can run it, a 2080 can run it.

smoke and mirrors=/= more difficult to rasterize

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The fact is that if you buy a PS5 you’ll have something that will perform better overtime. If you buy a pc graphics card it will be the opposite.
PS5 is a great investment.

Edit: what I meant is, in 3 years the PS5 will be producing better graphics than today. The 2080 owner will have to play new games at medium settings.

What are you saying man?

Medium settings towards the middle of this generation would be more taxing than the high settings of the beginning of the generation.

At the start of lastgen "console" settings were effectively high/ultra.
Before the midgen refresh they were medium/low
Midgen refresh they went to mid/high.
The consoles literally needed to get a refresh to not drop to being below the low setting on PC.

So yes indeed your GPU wont be playing games at Ultra anymore because Ultra in games by endgame is actually higher than what Ultra was at the start of the generation.

So no your RTX 2080 isnt suddenly going to go to shit while the PS5 GPU keeps getting better and better.
Players using lower settings as time passes isnt because the GPU got worse its because the games got better.

TTOOLL

What are you saying man?

Medium settings towards the middle of this generation would be more taxing than the high settings of the beginning of the generation.

At the start of lastgen "console" settings were effectively high/ultra.
Before the midgen refresh they were medium/low
Midgen refresh they went to mid/high.
The consoles literally needed to get a refresh to not drop to being below the low setting on PC.

So yes indeed your GPU wont be playing games at Ultra anymore because Ultra in games by endgame is actually higher than what Ultra was at the start of the generation.

So no your RTX 2080 isnt suddenly going to go to shit while the PS5 GPU keeps getting better and better.
Players using lower settings as time passes isnt because the GPU got worse its because the games got better.

You certainly didn’t understand what I said. The PS5 won’t become faster than a 2080, it will be better utilized while PC games will target the next card. This is by design.
That’s why I used the word “investment”. The PS5 will produce better graphics over time. The 2080 won’t, because pc and console development are inherently different.

You certainly didn’t understand what I said. The PS5 won’t become faster than a 2080, it will be better utilized while PC games will target the next card. This is by design.
That’s why I used the word “investment”. The PS5 will produce better graphics over time. The 2080 won’t, because pc and console development are inherently different.
Have you ever used a PC in your life, serious question? Do you understand the difference between consoles and PC? I've seen several of your posts, and they honestly should be kept as drafts, as whenever you speak on them, people call you out for having no clue of what you are trying to imply. Maybe write "disclaimer: I have no clue, but here goes my personal guess????"

VZXx70F.png

RTX 2080 still has the edge with the gigapixel fill ordinary font which can indicate delta color compression superiority.

For the new product against the new product, try it against RTX 3070 with 96 ROPS or RTX 3060 Ti with 80 ROPS (1)

AMD's RX 6700 XT's 64 ROPS may have problems against RTX 3060 Ti's 80 ROPS. AMD may need to increase RTX 6700 XT's clock speed.

Reference
1. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3060-ti.c3681

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

RTX 3060 Ti beaten RX 5700 XT, RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super.

RTX 3060 Ti has $400 price tag. Any PC with 8 cores with 256 bit AVX 2 at >3.5 Ghz should be able to upgrade RTX 3060 Ti.

For my gaming PC's MSI RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Gaming X Trio AIB OC, I plan to upgrade towards RTX 3080 Ti 20 GB in Q1 2021.

One user in that Slug Thread on twitter responded that his 3080 achieves 0.39ms with a heavy load page available on the demo.

I asked the Dev about PS5s result in this particular test.
Answer was 0.63ms..
So that leaves a freaking rtx 3080 just a mere 60% faster than PS5..
That alone is remarkable .
Also with such a result PS5 would most likely outclass the rtx 3060 ..

Essentially, if a console has been optimized to run a visual powerhouse game - the PC is expected to destroy that console performance wise, unless and here is the caveat - the console is designed and optimized beyond normal standard - to run a game with all visual maxed out... at 27fps, here is where the PC deviates - as an older reference GPU will actually underperform consoles in this scenario and run the same game at 25 FPS. As the console was designed with a raw peak performance in mind before it's release, that performance margin taps out at 27fps with an extremely optimized masterfully created game and older gpus (the 2080 in this case) are not created to meet standards with this in mind.

Which is why I, as a PC gamer prefer console game makers strive to make games that are visually stunning with a lesser focus on framerate. Unfortunately dev's no longer strive to release games that meet a visual standard while struggling to maintain 27fps. But if you remember correctly, when Gears of War originally released, this was a prime example of this in action - not that Gears of War released on PC quickly enough to benchmark against the original, but what it did do - was by achieving a standard of 27fps, ensure PC's were 3 years behind visually.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

One user in that Slug Thread on twitter responded that his 3080 achieves 0.39ms with a heavy load page available on the demo.

Answer was 0.63ms..

3060 will have ~2080 game performance so there is that... and 3080 is like ~80-90% faster than this GPU in GAMES

Not that i doubt you but is there proof of this? Because that is usefull information..

Badly optimized game on Nvidia, 5700XT probably runs it as fast if not faster than PS5.

Yes, he says it uses drs to a minimum of 1440p for rt being possible, albeit on light scenes/scenarios it is native 4k. But even that, it has compromises. My point is that this synthetic benchs doesnt translate into game performance, at least not now.
Synthetic benches like he did are meant to measure performance in one specific area at a time on different hardware to find strong and weak points and compare only these points on the hardware.

Obviously games use a mix of a million different things, all at the same time... So the synthetic benchmark illustrate two very specific things, where in one the ps5 loses and it wins in the other. It's a curiosity thing, it could help us understand what's going on, but it's definitely not the whole picture.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
do you really think that's the only reason people pc game...

how are you on a well known gaming forum and only play on console...

you do understand most pc gamers own consoles too right? so what does that say about you? that you don't like this hobby as much as you think you do...

I started gaming on PC as soon as I saw half life 2 was a PC game only back in 04. Don't really know how so many people that thought that game for example looked cool, didn't do the same lol
Edit because wrong quote: that is a "dirty peasant" lvl post you quoted. People that have little to no idea about pc gaming yet prize their "AMD" console.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I cancelled my 3060 ti. I told myself to wait for next year's cards but I couldn't resist the hunt for a new card the other day. I wiould have to buy a new card in a couple years if I kept it.. I will probably just buy 4080 and hope it carries me as long as my 1080. Then again , 1080 came out 2.5 years after ps4. I don't even know any more. I do know the ps5 is solid as fuck and the price is very good for what you get. Either way, awful timing cuz Cyberpunk on PC is going to be godlike. PS5 version will look not great til that next gen patch comes out.

drotahorror

Edit because wrong quote: that is a "dirty peasant" lvl post you quoted. People that have little to no idea about pc gaming yet prize their "AMD" console.

Either way, the post you quoted initially is full of shit. A card equal to ps5 now will likely not be running the same games in the future. Look at ps4 equivalent. Are people playing Doom Eternal, and AC Valhalla on a 7850? Fuck no. I replaced my 7950 with a 1080 in 2016 because it couldn't play Doom 2016.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Either way, the post you quoted initially is full of shit. A card equal to ps5 now will likely not be running the same games in the future. Look at ps4 equivalent. Are people playing Doom Eternal, and AC Valhalla on a 7850? Fuck no. I replaced my 7950 with a 1080 in 2016 because it couldn't play Doom 2016.
Some games these cards will run better, some not, because good or bad optimizations, just like what happens with the 7870. Anyway if you expect always better performance than consoles on pc you should, like always, buy a more powerful card than what the consoles have.

Guilty_AI

Answer was 0.63ms..

You know, i'm still trying to figure out if you're serious about the stuff you post or if its all just some slightly elaborate trolling

Senua

I cancelled my 3060 ti. I told myself to wait for next year's cards but I couldn't resist the hunt for a new card the other day. I wiould have to buy a new card in a couple years if I kept it.. I will probably just buy 4080 and hope it carries me as long as my 1080. Then again , 1080 came out 2.5 years after ps4. I don't even know any more. I do know the ps5 is solid as fuck and the price is very good for what you get. Either way, awful timing cuz Cyberpunk on PC is going to be godlike. PS5 version will look not great til that next gen patch comes out.
Yea i'm waiting for the next batch too. lets see what Nvidia can do on a proper TSMC node with AMD's red hot throbbing RDNA cock closing in upon their green arseholes. the pressure is on!

You know, i'm still trying to figure out if you're serious about the stuff you post or if its all just some slightly elaborate trolling
Lol ikr. Who honestly benchmarks consoles with fonts, more or less a pc?! I guess when you know PC will always be miles and miles ahead of consoles, people get desperate to get some sort of validity of their purchase.

Darius87

Lol ikr. Who honestly benchmarks consoles with fonts, more or less a pc?! I guess when you know PC will always be miles and miles ahead of consoles, people get desperate to get some sort of validity of their purchase.
yea miles ahead in numbers and prices but can't even match tlou2 a last gen game. don't worry ps5 will make you transition from denial stage to acceptance quickly.

Not that i doubt you but is there proof of this? Because that is usefull information..

RTX 3060 Ti would be required to match or exceed PlayStation 5's output...

But Battaglia has used wonky testing methodology, basing this off a scene where PS5's res is lower than normal (1440p) and comparing to the game running on PC @ 1440p. The settings, as I predicted, were a mix of Ultra and High, so was set to those settings on PC.

The 3060 Ti will be 95% as fast as a 3070.

Last edited:
5dgls5c.jpg

Do we think any XSX "exclusive" (well xb don't really have exclusives)
This whole generation will rate as high?
Probably not, a lot of games across this gen won’t rate this high. I for one don’t really care because I’m not a Souls fan. I just want Cyberpunk and Halo Infinite and the next God of War to be awesome.

Kenpachii

So what's being tested here text on a game? And why would anybody care about it?

Or did he just try his hardest to find one metric that the PS5 gpu was good at?

Last edited:
you seem hurt can't even answer a simple question to me go ask some help/advice from your buddy VFX veteran he will explain everything to me.
Whaaaat?? Did you bump your head this morning? You do realize there are multitudes of games that look and run much better. Its been discussed over and over and over, but since you are in the delusion stage, you'll just say the games don't look as good, because you're biased. Sony doesn't make the best visual titles, no matter how much you want to believe it.

Last edited:

Darius87

Whaaaat?? Did you bump your head this morning? You do realize there are multitudes of games that look and run much better. Its been discussed over and over and over, but since you are in the delusion stage, you'll just say the games don't look as good, because you're a biased fanboy. Sony doesn't make the best visual titles, no matter how much you want to believe it.
runs better of course but still no game on PC to match animations or character models of tlou2 the sooner you understand that Tflops doesn't make games look good the talent does the sooner you transition to acceptance stage and let's hope your anger will dissapear.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
of course it can't that doesn't mean pc have games which looks better then tlou2 pc have ports from consoles with settings cranked up.
even today we don't have PC game matching animations or character models of tlou2.
Having better effects means some things are better on pc. Only animations or characters matters for the game visuals? What about the mediocre 30fps of the game in motion? Plus Star Citizen have far better character models. There are no more better looking games on pc because of people still buying multiplatform games on consoles and because people with weak computers holding back.

runs better of course but still no game on PC to match animations or character models of tlou2 the sooner you understand that Tflops doesn't make games look good the talent does the sooner you transition to acceptance stage and let's hope your anger will dissapear.
Why do you think that is correct? You don't play on PC, or care about PC, therefore you have no knowledge on what's available on PC. There's no way you can honestly believe your own statement, if you've played or seen what's available on there.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What??? More power would allow TLOU2 characters have many more polygons, better textures, etc...

Darius87

Why do you think that is correct? You don't play on PC, or care about PC, therefore you have no knowledge on what's available on PC. There's no way you can honestly believe your own statement, if you've played or seen what's available on there.
don't decide for me what i play on, you don't know that.
so what's on PC that you're so impressed by?

Kenpachii

don't decide for me what i play on, you don't know that.
so what's on PC that you're so impressed by?

fqENlqO.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

8k players by the way.

Call me when the game renders more than 3 objects in the scene. Not a single game on the PS4 or PS5 for that matter looks impressive to me.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Remind me again, what are the detail settings on the PS5? Hint: it's not ultra like on every PC benchmark.
According to DF, seems to be a mix of settings as usual. Some high, some ultra, one even higher than the highest available and some custom ones. I'm actually surprised it gets that close to a lot of high settings and still targets 60 fps.

Top Bottom