• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

InXile Entertainment’s next-gen RPG will be built using UE5

Considering inXile is now a Microsoft first-party studio, it means the Xbox Series X will indeed have first-party games developed using Epic’s game engine.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer also tweeted how “many of our [Xbox Game Studios] are using Unreal,” and mentioned Ninja Theory is using the engine for Hellblade 2.

InXile is currently developing Wasteland 3, a sequel to the isometric post-apocalyptic RPG, Wasteland 2.

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
I read elsewhere that the ProRes version of the UE5 reveal video is 79GB. Probably never going to be released :(

This is not true. First of all there is no different versions with different texture size (like 4k instead of 8k) or lower polygon meshes, etc.
Unreal engine always releases their DEMOS as it is.
Even the Kite Demo was 50 GB and they released it as it is.

dottme

This is not true. First of all there is no different versions with different texture size (like 4k instead of 8k) or lower polygon meshes, etc.
Isn’t the 50GB was for the demo itself, not the video?
To be honest, your comment give the feeling that you don’t even know what ProRes is. As I cannot see what you are trying to say with the change of texture size.

Exodia

Banned
To be honest, your comment give the feeling that you don’t even know what ProRes is. As I cannot see what you are trying to say with the change of texture size.

Epic doesn't release uncompressed or less compressed video. They just release the project files instead.

Lethal01

If it's not released it will be because of the Sony involvement, The size of the demo is irrrelevant.

1) Focus in marketing and technology discussions from MS - latency is not pushed at all
2) Loading time demo by MS on the XsX - that demo almost seals that XSX has 'normal' latency values
3) EPIC commentary around the Unreal 5 demo which fairly clearly implies that what was shown was only possible on a PS5 right now

So, your first point is just pure speculation on your part, and your next two points are basically just blind reaches with practically zero factual ground to stand on.

Elog

So, your first point is just pure speculation on your part, and your next two points are basically just blind reaches with practically zero factual ground to stand on.

I do not believe that is a fair statement at all. We have the load time on XSX in seconds shown by MS themselves and it is clear as a day that the loading time represents exactly what you would expect with an SSD in a standard PC architecture. In comparison, Spiderman loaded in 0.8sec on the PS5 as shown by Sony. These two data points are factual. Now, we can create excuses for the XsX - maybe it was an early build? maybe the CPU overhead for that specific title in terms of running the executable creates issues etc? These two load rimes are factual.

TS commentary around the Unreal 5 tech demo are also factual.

So is the lack of talk about latency from MS in their marketing/promotion to date,

So we have three data points that are factual. We can choose to interpret these data points in various ways but Occam's razor right now is that the PS5 has a significant latency advantage over the XSX in the I/O complex. At least in the Unreal 5 Tech demo this was key for what was shown. How will that translate in cross-platform titles? That is a harder question to answer.

Elog

How could you tell that from the demo?

That is the official MS trailer for load times. The load time for XSX is identical to a PC loading the same game but better than the One X. On a PC the SSD does not much of a difference compared to an HDD meaning that the IO latency and CPU overhead is what drives the time rather than the peak speed for the drive. The confusion is that the XSX has an IO complex that is very similar to the PC platform and a fast SSD.

This differs significantly from what Sony showed with Spiderman and a 0.8sec load time on PS5.

That is the official MS trailer for load times. The load time for XSX is identical to a PC loading the same game but better than the One X. On a PC the SSD does not much of a difference compared to an HDD meaning that the IO latency and CPU overhead is what drives the time rather than the peak speed for the drive. The confusion is that the XSX has an IO complex that is very similar to the PC platform and a fast SSD.

This differs significantly from what Sony showed with Spiderman and a 0.8sec load time on PS5.

You can't compare those 2 showcases.

XSX -> Showed the same game on 2 different generations
PS5 -> Showed a last gen game optimized for next-gen

Sony actually reworked the game engines limitations so that the game would use all the new hardware features.
MS just showd the same game without any changes on new hardware.

I'm a Sony Fan btw

Last edited:

Elog

You can't compare those 2 showcases.

XSX -> Showed the same game on 2 different generations
PS5 -> Showed a last gen game optimized for next-gen

Sony actually reworked the game engines limitations so that the game would use all the new hardware features.
MS just showd the same game without any changes on new hardware.

I'm a Sony Fan btw

I am not sure what you mean? Loading n executable from your hard drive into your RAM does not require any coding changes to the executable. That is what these demos show. The only driver behind that time is your IO complex and how it operates (i.e. how your OS/BIOS and hardware interacts).

I am not sure what you mean? Loading n executable from your hard drive into your RAM does not require any coding changes to the executable. That is what these demos show. The only driver behind that time is your IO complex and how it operates (i.e. how your OS/BIOS and hardware interacts).

If you copy the spiderman game from ps4 to ps5 it won't run that fast like in this demo sony showed.
Because the game has never been made with the ps5 specs in mind.
For example -> You can't travel that fast through the citiy. Thats a speedlimit programmed into the game to make sure you won't get faster than an hdd can load in the neccesary data.

So Sony had to change the gamecode to make use of more speed.
Therefore both presentations are not comparable.

Elog

If you copy the spiderman game from ps4 to ps5 it won't run that fast like in this demo sony showed.
Because the game has never been made with the ps5 specs in mind.
For example -> You can't travel that fast through the citiy. Thats a speedlimit programmed into the game to make sure you won't get faster than an hdd can load in the neccesary data.

So Sony had to change the gamecode to make use of more speed.
Therefore both presentations are not comparable.

If you are referring to the actual gameplay piece of Spiderman on Ps5 your statement is of course correct. I am only talking about the load times in seconds of the game executable (0.8sec). And that is not dependent on any changes to the executable as such.

If you are referring to the actual gameplay piece of Spiderman on Ps5 your statement is of course correct. I am only talking about the load times in seconds of the game executable (0.8sec). And that is not dependent on any changes to the executable as such.

Just so we are on the same page.
You are tying to tell me that what we've seen in the spiderman demo was loading only the executable? One file. Nothing more.
This on file had all the content so it's showing the game engine running and some scenes?

Nevermind. I don't even wanna discuss this any deeper.
Let me tell you - your getting it wrong.
The comparison you are trying to make isn't fair and real.

XSX isn't showing what can be achived if you recode state of decay to make use of the new I/O speed - spiderman however was recoded for this purpose.

Last edited:

Elog

Just so we are on the same page.
You are tying to tell me that what we've seen in the spiderman demo was loading only the executable? One file. Nothing more.
This on file had all the content so it's showing the game engine running and some scenes?

Nevermind. I don't even wanna discuss this any deeper.
Let me tell you - your getting it wrong.
The comparison you are trying to make isn't fair and real.

XSX isn't showing what can be achived if you recode state of decay to make use of the new I/O speed - spiderman however was recoded for this purpose.

I am ok with us disagreeing. We will both see when the hardware is available. I am willing to eat my left foot if the IO complex in PS5 does not has a significant advantage over the XSX and that the load times that have been shown are representative of the end-result across titles for both platforms :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I am much more curious to what extent Sony has made the API smart enough to utilise this IO advantage in-game outside of first-party titles. The fact that they have worked so much with Epic indicates that they have worked hard to ensure that this advantage becomes part of the main engines. However, this is the big unknown for me at this point in time. The discussion whether PS5 has an IO advantage of significance over XSX is from my point of view already 90%+ clear (and that means significantly shorter load times etc by default for the PS5 compared to XSX).

pawel86ck

Banned

Do you think HW decompressor will support every format / file extension? BC games are old, and I'm guessing game code has to be totally rewriten in order take advantage of I/O tech MS and Sony build.

DealerGaming has said MS engineer told him XSX load sea of thieves in 3-5 seconds, and that's very impressive compared to PC SSDs (over 3x times faster). So either MS engineer has lied Dealer, or optimized games for XSX will indeed load faster than on PC.

Last edited:

Elog

Do you think HW decompressor will support every format / file extension? BC games are old, and I'm guessing game code has to be totally rewriten in order take advantage of I/O tech MS and Sony build.

DealerGaming has said MS engineer told him XSX load sea of thieves in 3-5 seconds, and that's very impressive compared to PC SSDs (over 3x times faster). So either MS engineer has lied Dealer, or optimized games for XSX will indeed load faster than on PC.

I do not think he lied. I am sure the load times can be tweaked - especially in a set hardware environment per se. Ultimately you will hit the hard brick wall that is the IO hardware though. And like I stated - at least to me it is clear that the PS5 has a significant advantage there.

And just to state that I am not in some sort of fanboy corner. As of now I would say that XSX has a significant advantage in the number of CUs, the XSX has an advantage in terms oft Tflops, the PS5 has a GPU frequency advantage, the XSX has a CPU advantage and the PS5 has a significant IO speed/latency advantage. We are currently speculating how this will play out. After the Unreal 5 demo it is clear that the IO piece is more important than what many of us assumed from the beginning in terms of experience as a gamer if a title uses it properly.

I really like that the two platforms have difference design philosophies. XSX seems to be the best value PC money can buy for the foreseeable future (assuming a price point between 400 and 600 USD) while the PS5 is something completely different (does not mean good/bad - but clearly interesting).

pawel86ck

Banned
I do not think he lied. I am sure the load times can be tweaked - especially in a set hardware environment per se. Ultimately you will hit the hard brick wall that is the IO hardware though. And like I stated - at least to me it is clear that the PS5 has a significant advantage there.

And just to state that I am not in some sort of fanboy corner. As of now I would say that XSX has a significant advantage in the number of CUs, the XSX has an advantage in terms oft Tflops, the PS5 has a GPU frequency advantage, the XSX has a CPU advantage and the PS5 has a significant IO speed/latency advantage. We are currently speculating how this will play out. After the Unreal 5 demo it is clear that the IO piece is more important than what many of us assumed from the beginning in terms of experience as a gamer if a title uses it properly.

I really like that the two platforms have difference design philosophies. XSX seems to be the best value PC money can buy for the foreseeable future (assuming a price point between 400 and 600 USD) while the PS5 is something completely different (does not mean good/bad - but clearly interesting).
I have no doubts PS5 has supperior I/O, all I'm saying is we really cant base our conclusions in regards to XSX I/O speed based on BC games load times.

And BTW. level times aside MS also showcased how quick they could switch between different suspended games.

Just few seconds for loading entire game.

MCplayer

you cant compare... spider man (which was probably more optimised) and that game from xbox video, forgot the name, 2 complete diferent optimised games, and 2 completly diferent scenerios of loading, spider man was just loading still real time render scenes, the xbox one was rendering a playable game with AI.

Not sayingps5 wont have an advantage but these 2 scenarios can't be compared.

FireFly

Presumably Xbox One games will need to be modified to take advantage of the DirectStorage API, otherwise they wouldn't benefit from the reduction in CPU overhead. Also if Xbox One games are stored uncompressed, then that would halve the data transfer rate.

Ascend

Not this shit again. Go read the description and come back.

I have no doubts PS5 has supperior I/O, all I'm saying is we really cant base our conclusions in regards to XSX I/O speed based on BC games load times.

And BTW. level times aside MS also showcased how quick they could switch between different suspended games.

Just few seconds for loading entire game.

No man, that one State of Decay demo is the absolute fastest loading you will ever experience on XsX. Elog Elog KNOWS, man, he just KNOWS

Last edited:

Elog

No man, that one State of Decay demo is the absolute fastest loading you will ever experience on XsX. Elog Elog KNOWS, man, he just KNOWS.

This is why forums such as this are bad. People resort to name calling instead of talking about information and what it might mean. You seemed like a reasonable person but I was seemingly wrong. Discussions about analytical objects are interesting - different opinions stimulating - the above though is just a sign of poor intellectual acumen.

Looking forward to looking back at these comments once we have hardware in our hands.

Ascend

This is why forums such as this are bad. People resort to name calling instead of talking about information and what it might mean. You seemed like a reasonable person but I was seemingly wrong. Discussions about analytical objects are interesting - different opinions stimulating - the above though is just a sign of poor intellectual acumen.

Looking forward to looking back at these comments once we have hardware in our hands.
Don't take it personally. It's just that every couple of pages in every single thread, people come with the same arguments that have already been addressed. It gets annoying after a while. It might not be fair to someone just rolling around. But tensions are high, especially because some people deliberately refuse to listen to reason and keep repeating the same thing.

I called you a name? When/where? If you feel I have crossed a line you should report my post and if you are right I will be disciplined.

As for my reply to you, you are trying to use the State of Decay loading demo and the leaked cell phone footage of a Spidey demo (that we really don't know much about at all) as some concrete measuring stick for what the XsX and PS5 can definitely do. I think that is a little silly.

pawel86ck

Banned
No man, that one State of Decay demo is the absolute fastest loading you will ever experience on XsX. Elog Elog KNOWS, man, he just KNOWS
And one more thing. I think these games from quick resume presentation video were probably Xbox One X enchanced versions build to use 9.5 GB RAM (not standard xbox one games limited to 5.5GB). So on XSX it takes around 3-4 seconds to fill 9.5 GB with it's 2.4 GB SSD and that's amazing (it suggest to me there's no SSD bottlenecks on XSX).

Last edited:

Lethal01

The impact of Nanite and similar technology on the industry is earth shattering and it's weird that it's talked about so little.

To me this is like if Half-life 3 got announced and every forum wasn't being constantly flooded with talk about it.

Last edited:

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
As Mr. Miyagi said Breath in And Breath Out. Seeing us Gamers in this Forum defending which Next Gen is better
in Performance. Sure in the end Both Companies will be crying when going to the Bank making them rich and
us stupid. Nowadays No other Topic then My Cat can jump higher then your Cat. Gamers For the love of God and his messenger Jesus Christ and offcourse Mr. Miyagi-san Breath in and Breath out. Rest Assured both Console are Equal in Power in their own unique Capabilities. In the end it all depend on the Software the Games
if Xbox series X looking at their hIstory start porting Crap Pc games and No Game Studios will use in Game engines i see the Fate of Xbox Series X the same as when they Announced Next Gen games reveal.

So No PC ports or cross Gen.

Second Sony is neacky and is Not talking Anything about PS5 real performance so we all are basing our Theories on some Facts and some off hand Theories.

So in the End who wins is the Console who uses In game engines and No ports and cross gen.

The Clear Fact of all this debate is us Yokels say"

Patoto

and the Snobby rich say

Patato

In the end looke at the pic.
5DkFcLx.jpg

5DkFcLx.jpg

Last edited:
headline from PC Gamer

"UE5 Demo runs better on laptops than on the PS5"

Reading through it, I think he is just going over the Epic China leak/interview or whatever that was

This escalated after an interview with an engineer from Epic China (which has since been taken down) revealed that the demo seen running on the PS5 ran just as well on a laptop. In fact the PC reportedly ran the demo better, with the PS5 managing 30fps at 1440p while the laptop hit 40fps at the same resolution. The laptop in question is no slouch mind, featuring an Nvidia RTX 2080 graphics card and a 970 Evo Plus.

article ends with

It's worth reiterating that the Unreal Engine 5 is cross-platform, and it'll run on the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5, and on PCs when it is finally released. So all of this spear waving is essentially pointless anyway, but we wouldn't want simple facts to get in the way of tribalism.

As Mr. Miyagi said Breath in And Breath Out. Seeing us Gamers in this Forum defending which Next Gen is better
in Performance. Sure in the end Both Companies will be crying when going to the Bank making them rich and
us stupid. Nowadays No other Topic then My Cat can jump higher then your Cat. Gamers For the love of God and his messenger Jesus Christ and offcourse Mr. Miyagi-san Breath in and Breath out. Rest Assured both Console are Equal in Power in their own unique Capabilities. In the end it all depend on the Software the Games
if Xbox series X looking at their hIstory start porting Crap Pc games and No Game Studios will use in Game engines i see the Fate of Xbox Series X the same as when they Announced Next Gen games reveal.

So No PC ports or cross Gen.

Second Sony is neacky and is Not talking Anything about PS5 real performance so we all are basing our Theories on some Facts and some off hand Theories.

So in the End who wins is the Console who uses In game engines and No ports and cross gen.

The Clear Fact of all this debate is us Yokels say"

Patoto

and the Snobby rich say

Patato

In the end looke at the pic.
5DkFcLx.jpg

5DkFcLx.jpg

Will next-gen consoles also serve fresh french fries?

Last edited:
headline from PC Gamer

"UE5 Demo runs better on laptops than on the PS5"

Reading through it, I think he is just going over the Epic China leak/interview or whatever that was

article ends with

Will next-gen consoles also serve fresh french fries?

I'd rather see it run on a PC just as well than take their word for it.

I really hope, sooner or later, we are able to get a direct comparison of the demo on all platforms to settle the matter

The thing is PC Gamer clearly has a vested interest in... well... PC. It's weird the hysterics people are going to since Sweeney himself said PCs will be able to do this eventually.

This video gets to the heart of it, it's BS.

Last edited:
The thing is PC Gamer clearly has a vested interest in... well... PC. It's weird the hysterics people are going to since Sweeney himself said PCs will be able to do this eventually.

This video gets to the heart of it, it's BS.

I was taking a side, I was just posting the article as the title alone was definitely aimed to set off some sparks. Tried to post it as neutrally as possible as I do not know what is true or not, at this point.

Again, I just hope we get a direct comparison and the matter can be settled.

I was taking a side, I was just posting the article as the title alone was definitely aimed to set off some sparks. Tried to post it as neutrally as possible as I do not know what is true or not, at this point.

Again, I just hope we get a direct comparison and the matter can be settled.

I inserted the wrong media there, actually, meant to post the video where he corrects himself. Apparently they were simply showing a video of the PS5 demo on the laptop, not playing the demo on the laptop.

I inserted the wrong media there, actually, meant to post the video where he corrects himself. Apparently they were simply showing a video of the PS5 demo on the laptop, not playing the demo on the laptop.
yes but the engineer also said it ran on his laptop in the editor at 40fps. But he didn't say at what resolution. We know that nearly all gaming laptops are 1080p so there is a very good chance it was at 1080p which is around 50~% ps5 performance.

Rikkori

Let's see some real numbers, and then we can properly discuss the differences rather than merely speculate. Too much vagueness left there for the sake of marketing. It would be the easiest thing in the world for Epic to run the demo on a PC and tell us what the profiler says.

More importantly, I'd want to know what the requirements would be for the demo to run at 4K 60 fps, and what kind of I/O stress that does. I wonder if this is the time when Optane will finally shine for PC gaming.

Was the UE4 PS4 demo from 2013 released on PC

I have no idea, that would tell us.

Last edited:

onQ123

This is with a game that's not made to take advantage of the specs of Xbox SX when devs make games around having a SSD that can stream data into RAM fast enough to keep a steady flow it will be different. Spiderman was kinda already built this way so it probably didn't take much to show off the speed of the PS5 SSD.

Top Bottom