• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Test(GigaPixels/s): PS5 outperforms RTX 2080 by a wide margin under heavy load

Under heavy workload ps5 is showing very impressive computational power far exceeding that of RTX 2080. At the moment the guy doesn't have a RTX 3080 but soon he will try to get one and compare .

Cerny has done an amazing job given the budget constraints they had designing the PS5.impressive stuff

His biography:
Eric Lengyel
From Wikipedia:

Eric Lengyel is a computer scientist specializing in game engine development, computer graphics, and geometric algebra. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Davis and a master's degree in Mathematics from Virginia Tech.

Lengyel is an expert in font rendering technology for 3D applications and is the inventor of the Slug font rendering algorithm, which allows glyphs to be rendered directly from outline data on the GPU with full resolution independence.[1] Lengyel is also the inventor of the Transvoxel algorithm, which is used to seamlessly join multiresolution voxel data at boundaries between different levels of detail that have been triangulated with the Marching cubes algorithm.[2]

Among his many written contributions to the field of game development, Lengyel is the author of the four-volume book series Foundations of Game Engine Development. The first volume,[3] covering the mathematics of game engines, was published in 2016 and is now known for its unique treatment of Grassmann algebra. The second volume,[4] covering a wide range of rendering topics, was published in 2019. Lengyel is also the author of the textbook Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics[5] and the editor for the three-volume Game Engine Gems book series.[6][7][8]

Lengyel founded Terathon Software in 2000 and is currently President and Chief Technology Officer at the company, where he leads development of the C4 Engine. He has previously worked in the advanced technology group at Naughty Dog, and before that was the lead programmer for the fifth installment of Sierra's popular RPG adventure series Quest for Glory. In addition to the C4 Engine, Lengyel is the creator of the Open Data Description Language (OpenDDL) and the Open Game Engine Exchange (OpenGEX) file format.[9]
Lengyel is originally from Reynoldsburg, Ohio, but now lives in Lincoln, California. He is a cousin of current Ohioan and "Evolution of Dance" creator Judson Laipply.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Isn't it losing in the first picture?

Ok I am honest I don't get what this difference means or what this test is and how it compares to other gpu benchmarks gets. But hurray?!:messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat:

kretos

Banned
2369849-7781086849-ibqYp.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The 3080 is about 2.5x faster than the RTX2080.
So you could approximate that it would score around 6.5 in the absurd test and absolutely level everything in the ordinary test.
The XSX should score similar to the PS5 maybe slightly higher.

Microsoft Word is going to be so smooth on my PS5!
Cant wait!

This is what the test looks like for those curious, the viability of this information for actual gaming applications isnt particularly high versus other benchmarks.
EoVgJx7UUAAKDBT

Black_Stride

PS 5 really is a well optimized console, I'm continually impressed by it's performance for that price. 399 with a controller? That's a steal for this kind of performance.

Yeah all the text editing ive been doing lately has really benefited from the PS5 being so capable at Font Rendering.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The 3080 is about 2.5x faster than the RTX2080.
So you could approximate that it would score around 6.5 in the absurd test and absolutely level everything in the ordinary test.
The XSX should score similar to the PS5 maybe slightly higher.

Microsoft Word is going to be so smooth on my PS5!
Cant wait!

This is what the test looks like for those curious, the viability of this information for actual gaming applications isnt particularly high versus other benchmarks.
EoVgJx7UUAAKDBT
That's a lot of loot.

TTOOLL

The fact is that if you buy a PS5 you’ll have something that will perform better overtime. If you buy a pc graphics card it will be the opposite.
PS5 is a great investment.

Edit: what I meant is, in 3 years the PS5 will be producing better graphics than today. The 2080 owner will have to play new games at medium settings.

Last edited:

onQ123

Isn't it losing in the first picture?

Ok I am honest I don't get what this difference means or what this test is and how it compares to other gpu benchmarks gets. But hurray?!:messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat:

The 1st picture is using a normal font but when it's more complex PS5 is better.

Like one kid being able to write faster in print but the other one is faster when they are writing in cursive.

Killer8

Yep, the PS5 is running Ass Creed Valhalla equivalent to a 3070 (2080 Ti) at minimum. So much for Ampere graphics cards blowing the consoles out of the water, like some claimed.

Depends on how good the PS5 really is at ray-tracing. It's possible it could be a beast at rasterization but less powerful than a 2080 for RT. I believe Watch Dogs: Legion's settings with RT runs equivalent to an RTX 2060 - but that could also just be due to how shoddily that game is optimized. The latest Big Navi cards have matched or exceeded Ampere in rasterization but fallen noticeably behind in RT, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with PS5.

Last edited:
Depends on how good the PS5 really is at ray-tracing. It's possible it could be a beast at rasterization but less powerful than a 2080 for RT. I believe Watch Dogs: Legion's settings with RT runs equivalent to an RTX 2060 - but that could also just be due to how shoddily that game is optimized. The latest Big Navi cards have matched or exceeded Ampere in rasterization but fallen noticeably behind in RT, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with PS5.
Of course. RT is better on Rtx cards than Amd. We r not sure how the ps5 RT api helps but even then , its nowhere close to top of the line rtx cards imo

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Well in the game its already has shown its more than capable . But these are technical tests and interesting tidbits

Indeed not taking anything away from the PS5 its just this specific test isnt exactly something we need to be praising the sun for if you catch my drift.

What leads to "capable" performance isnt down simply its pixel/s rate.
Theres a ton more going on so this test alone says very little to even get an idea of what the GPU could do for actually rendering a game.

Im sure Unigine and Unreal engineers have more "solid" examples of what the PS5 GPU is actually capable of.
So its alittle hilarious to see a bunch of people praising the PS5 because its font rendering is better than an RTX 2080.

Effectively if you looked at this test alone the PS5 can draw a fontbased UI faster than an RTX 2080......is that really something we need to be up in arms about?

Top Bottom