• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

What's the rational behind not eating grains, legumes (especially peanuts) and dairy? This diet is a bit to strict for me, I wouldn't be able to jump right into it.

Also you know when they say to eat more fat. Is that mostly from nuts, oils, and, stuff like avocados or does the fat in meat suffice? Like if I were to eat a meal consisting of some chicken breasts and broccoli would that contain enough fat?

For grains it's mostly to avoid starch, which has high concentrations of the insulin trigger amylopectin. Legumes is avoidance of their processed [fermented, etc] nature. Dairy has lactose, high amounts of bad fats, is processed, and is hard to digest for a lot of people, though that depends a lot upon your heredity. Personally, I wouldn't want to live without cheese, so I buy a small amount of a couple really good cheeses and use them sparingly.

Fat is good! That meal would be okay for a dinner, It's actually what I ate last night, except that I brined the chicken and threw on some good brown mustard. It won't do much for your daily fat intake, though. Avocados are the greatest food on earth and are a godsend for this diet. Nuts are very calorically dense because of their fat content and taste great so they make for good snacks.

Couple more tips:
-Marinades are incredible if you're like me and you hate the blandness of chicken
-Brines are equally incredible, but the high salt level should be considered.
-Buy a good probe thermometer so you don't overcook your poultry. Nothing worse than a dry piece of chicken.
-Chop off the top of a head of garlic, put a small amount of olive oil, salt, pepper, and any herbs you like on the exposed cloves. Wrap it in foil and put it in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes and empty the contents into a bowl. Mash it down and spread it on whatever you have. Makes any piece of meat taste twice as good.

ch0mp

What's the rational behind not eating grains, legumes (especially peanuts) and dairy? This diet is a bit to strict for me, I wouldn't be able to jump right into it.

Not the easiest foods for your body to digest:

The Dangers of Legumes. said:
Most legumes are extremely toxic in their raw state. The Perfect Health Dietreports that raw kidney beans at only 1% of a rat’s diet can kill it in just 2 weeks. Legumes have to be soaked, fermented, or sprouted in order to make them safe to eat. This necessary step of preparation is enough to convince most paleo followers that this is a food we shouldn’t be eating.

The goal of these food preparations is to reduce the lectin and phytate content of legumes. Lectins and phytates are inherent in most foods, but they are especially high in grains and legumes. Lectins have been shown to strip away mucous from the small intestine, which is one of the key causes in many autoimmune diseases. Lectins have also been found guilty of causing symptoms similar to food poisoning, even when no other pathogens were present.

Phytates, specifically phytic acid, have been shown to block the mineral absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Many people believe that this decreased absorption helps to explain Americans high rate of disease and osteoporosis, despite our high level of dairy consumption. Phytates have also been shown to inhibit important enzymes involved in digestion, including pepsin and amylase.

Also you know when they say to eat more fat. Is that mostly from nuts, oils, and, stuff like avocados or does the fat in meat suffice? Like if I were to eat a meal consisting of some chicken breasts and broccoli would that contain enough fat?
Chicken breasts are fairly low fat. I normally use thighs or drumsticks with the skin on.

Eljay

Neo Member

The rationale is that none of it is natural. Cavemen didn't have agriculture and therefore never ate the grains which have dominated most diets over the last 12,000 years or so.

Chicken is lean meat and therefore you probably aren't getting enough fat from that alone, though dark meat does have about twice as much as white meat so there is that option. The easiest and generally most cost-effective source of fat comes from nuts.

deli turkey is processed yo

Yeah I am pretty sure deli turkey is a no-no on Paleo. If they allow processed deli turkey they should allow fucking milk, especially since WE HAVE EVOLVED to digest milk (those from northern milk drinking cultures).

Fun fact: Milk drinking cultures generally exist in Northern parts of the world where sun exposure (and Vitamin D production) is more limited.

The rationale is that none of it is natural. Cavemen didn't have agriculture and therefore never ate the grains which have dominated most diets over the last 12,000 years or so.

Chicken is lean meat and therefore you probably aren't getting enough fat from that alone, though dark meat does have about twice as much as white meat so there is that option. The easiest and generally most cost-effective source of fat comes from nuts.

Lol I have never seen the word "natural" abused more than in this post. Milk isn't natural? For fucking real? Just because cavemen didn't have it doesn't make it unnatural. Most animal species don't use fire to cook meats. I guess fire is unnatural.

Oh and unnatural doesn't mean bad. Natural doesn't mean good.

Most legumes are extremely toxic in their raw state. The Perfect Health Dietreports that raw kidney beans at only 1% of a rat’s diet can kill it in just 2 weeks. Legumes have to be soaked, fermented, or sprouted in order to make them safe to eat. This necessary step of preparation is enough to convince most paleo followers that this is a food we shouldn’t be eating.

So are peanuts ok?

The rational is that the human genome has adapted to foods most during the paleolithic era because it spanned such a long time.

I think paleo's elimination of dairy is completely unnecessary because there is little evidence that dairy harms people without lactose intolerance. Likewise for grains like rice, though I get wheat which is suspect.

But overall you cannot go wrong with the diet. It's basically a diet that strictly says eat very healthy foods and avoid all processed food.

Yeah I've seen little evidence for dairy being bad for those from milk-drinking cultures.

And rice seems to be fine. The Japanese and Chinese seem to have no problem with health. Low rates of diabetes and obesity. Wheat seems to be the main culprit.

Someone in the "we arent fat because blah blah" thread posted a video with some guy speculating that Asia already suffered diabetes and obesity and thus adapted to eating rice. His evidence? Popular depictions of Buddah being fat....

Somnid

It's amazing to think we still get our ideas of early man from 60s cartoons. I hate my sister and her crossfit friends spreading the ridiculous philosophy behind this. But yeah eating more natural and eating less sugar is still a reasonable diet.

SeanR1221

I sort of follow this, but only because its the easiest way to get a lot of protein in my diet for strength training.

I still eat cheese, Greek yogurt, oatmeal, etc.

We are looking at this from a very modern perspective. Hell, even like 100 years ago, life expectancy wasn't as great as it is now.

A lot of different cultures depend on wheat or grains as a dietary staple, for example Spaniards eat a lot of bread. The rising obesity trend has a lot more to do with eating fast food and portion size.

Eljay

Neo Member
An important note I would add: Not all meat is created equal
There's a pretty big difference between a steak from a grass-fed cow and one raised on a diet of corn and other refuse feed. The same goes for an animal which has been pumped full of antibiotics to suppress genetic weaknesses. A key to maintaining a successful paleo diet is eating high quality meat, not just lean meat as the OP suggests. A steak from a well-raised, grass-fed cow is much better than a chicken breast from a bird that was fed garbage and shot full of antibiotics its whole life. The same goes for eating fish with a short lifespan such as salmon over something with a long lifespan such as swordfish or tuna. The longer a fish lives the more time it has to raise its level of mercury and other harmful materials that should not be ingested in high quantities.

Regarding the diet itself, I've messed around with and switched between a lot of diets over about a five year period: low carb, no carb, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc until I finally settled on something that has made me feel better than everything else I've tried. Through all my efforts I've become convinced the biggest enemy to health is sugar, and for that reason I appreciate the idea of the paleo diet. I consume a banana as part of my pre-workout meal but outside of that I never touch the stuff anymore.

Where I deviate, however, is in the grains/legumes side of things. I'm gluten sensitive so I can't eat wheat but I still eat oatmeal, beans, quinoa and similar items everyday, though given a choice I would usually pick a potato. I'm still not convinced grains/legumes are evil, especially with anecdotal evidence from Japan which has the highest life expectancy but consumes vast amounts of rice. The large amounts of seafood certainly have something to do with their leading position, though. Maybe my body just doesn't respond well to large amounts of animal protein and others have had better results, but I think the best thing to take away is do what make you feel the best, not what other people tell you should be the best.

Also, drink lots of tea.

bdouble

I'd kill myself if I could never eat pasta or bread again.
Irony is those are killing you. Especially your intestinal walls.

As for the milk and other things that are not jncluded its for a reason. its not a question of natural or not its mechanical and chemical data. The milk is high in lactose a sugar which makes insulin spikes. The. Once you homogenize and pasturize the milk you take away almost all of its benefits.

Liberty4all

Banned
The crazy thing reading the OP ... about a year ago wife and I decided to change our diet. This was independant of knowing anything about paleo, and a very hazy knowledge of Atkins. (we had the idea that "carbs are bad" and that's about it)

Basically we did a few simple things:

1. For breakfast we started eating either bacon and eggs or Shakeology.

2. Eliminated Processed Sugar from our coffee using honey instead

3. For dinner we cut out the majority of carbs. No more white rice (big one as my wife is asian) bread or potatoes. We switched from Olive Oil to Coconut Oil.

4. Our diet at dinner became a choice of one of three meats (small servings like half what we used to eat ... so ie. cutting a breast in half and sharing between the two of us for instance):

Chicken (white meat only),
Steak
Fish

(we also cut out pork)

and HUGE servings of Costco Kirkland Frozen Stir Fry Vegetables :

costco-frozen-vegetables.jpg

I still drank my usual bottle or so (750 ml) of red wine a day.

That's pretty much it. And the weight literally fell off. This diet cost us about 300 dollars (for two people so 150 each) every two - three weeks.

Recently I was in a car accident and had to let my Costco membership expire (no way to get there, the car was totaled). We've noticed a massive change in how we feel (for the worse). I attribute it to that lately we have been eating more carbs, and our veg intake has gone down since not being able to buy the massive bags from Costco.

My parents ate those things all their lives and are now into their 70s and are perfectly healthy. 'Course that's just anecdotal, but I'm sure countless millions of people have been eating pasta and bread all their lives and are perfectly healthy.

NewFresh

The paleolithic Diet has always integued me as an outsider looking in. I've always adhered to eat healthy low calorie food and excersice daily and you will be healthy.

From the looks of it, the paleolthic-diet is pretty much just this. It has its fair share of restrictions, but it seems to not be doing any harm. It's not some crazy diet that can have an adverse effect on the participant, regardless of it being a fad or not. So by all means, get healthy and enjoy your food people!

But please stay away from this crap

http://robbwolf.com/category/autoimmunity/

--Gluten is a bigger issue than currently observed. I rarely eat the stuff now and feel better. .

Unless people have Celiac disease or a gluten-sensitivity, there really isn't any reason to avoid it.

Yeah, killing him by allowing him to live into his 70s, or 80s. How awful.

An important note I would add: Not all meat is created equal
There's a pretty big difference between a steak from a grass-fed cow and one raised on a diet of corn and other refuse feed. The same goes for an animal which has been pumped full of antibiotics to suppress genetic weaknesses. A key to maintaining a successful paleo diet is eating high quality meat, not just lean meat as the OP suggests. A steak from a well-raised, grass-fed cow is much better than a chicken breast from a bird that was fed garbage and shot full of antibiotics its whole life. The same goes for eating fish with a short lifespan such as salmon over something with a long lifespan such as swordfish or tuna. The longer a fish lives the more time it has to raise its level of mercury and other harmful materials that should not be ingested in high quantities.

Any evidence that antibiotics given to meat are harmful to humans?

I'll give you grass-fed over corn-fed even though I'm not so convinced regarding that, but I'm not going to let the antibiotics claim go without a source.

Piecake

Unless people have Celiac disease or a gluten-sensitivity, there really isn't any reason to avoid it.

I think a lot more people are gluten sensitive than most realize. I had no idea i was until i stopped eating the stuff. Found out that i did after eating some pizza (or something). Felt like absloute shit afterwards

I'll give you grass-fed over corn-fed even though I'm not so convinced regarding that, but I'm not going to let the antibiotics claim go without a source.

They're harmful to humans because they make diseases more resistant to antibiotics.

NewFresh

It's amazing to think we still get our ideas of early man from 60s cartoons. I hate my sister and her crossfit friends spreading the ridiculous philosophy behind this. But yeah eating more natural and eating less sugar is still a reasonable diet.

There is definitely a "group" thinking behind crossfit and this that can get pretty annoying. I can't talk to any of my friends who do crossfit because all they do is talk about crossfit and their paleo-diets. But it really isn't a bad diet for people who are willing to commit. No matter how annoying they get.

markot

Banned
The crazy thing reading the OP ... about a year ago wife and I decided to change our diet. This was independant of knowing anything about paleo, and a very hazy knowledge of Atkins.

Basically we did a couple simple things:

1. For breakfast we started eating either bacon and eggs or Shakeology.

2. Eliminated Processed Sugar from our coffee using honey instead

3. For dinner we cut out the majority of carbs. No more white rice (big one as my wife is asian) bread or potatoes.

4. Instead our diet at dinner became a choice of one of three meats (small servings like half what we used to eat ... so ie. cutting a breast in half and sharing between the two of us for instance):

Chicken (white meat only),
Steak
Fish

(we also cut out pork)

and HUGE servings of Costco Kirkland Frozen Stir Fry Vegetables :

I still drank my usual bottle or so (750 ml) of red wine a day.

That's pretty much it. And the weight literally fell off.

Recently I was in a car accident and had to let my Costco membership expire (no way to get there, the car was totaled). We've noticed a massive change in how we feel (for the worse). I attribute it to that lately we have been eating more carbs, and our veg intake has gone down since not being able to buy the massive bags from Costco.

You ate smaller servings and healthier food and lost weight??!

Myth: The use of antibiotics and hormone growth implants in livestock production is causing hazardous residues in beef and contributing to the development of health problems in humans.

Fact:
No residues from feeding antibiotics are found in beef, and there is no valid scientific evidence that antibiotic use in cattle causes illness resulting from the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Scientific authorities agree that use of hormone implants results in the efficient production of beef that is safe.
http://animalrangeextension.montana.edu/Articles/Beef/Wklynwsltr/12-19.01.htm

However, grass fed cows do have higher levels of Omega 3.

bdouble

I think a lot more people are gluten sensitive than most realize. I had no idea i was until i stopped eating the stuff. Found out that i did after eating some pizza (or something). Felt like absloute shit.
This times 1000. All those millions of people i wouldnt be surprised if they were the same. Gut health and digestion is night and day.

No he cut out the supposed biggest recommended food group of the standard american diet. Most primal diets are unweighted as well and you can eat until satiate. Most americans eat too many calories. This way of wating is getting the most nuttritionaly dense foods possible.

Liberty4all

Banned

Yep.

Amazing isn't it! That and we cut out most carbs.

To be fair though we started losing weight even when we still had full size meat portions (following our new diet). The reason we started cutting the meat in half, is that our appetites dropped .... about 6 months into the diet we noticed that we just started feeling "full" with less meat.

NewFresh

I think a lot more people are gluten sensitive than most realize. I had no idea i was until i stopped eating the stuff. Found out that i did after eating some pizza (or something). Felt like absloute shit afterwards

It's always good to hear that someone gets a better understanding of their body.

In the US 0.71% (1 in 141) have some form of CD. And the vast majority go their lives undiagnosed due to not having major complaints or complications.

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v107/n10/full/ajg2012219a.html

I would really recommend you listen to this for a good understanding of gluten and how prevalent gluten-sensitivity is.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4239

Yep.

Amazing isn't it!

Bread does contain a lot of calories. like 160 or so for a single slice of whole wheat, so it can get easily out of hand. And eating the five or servings recommended before is nuts as you can clearly go beyond your caloric needs.
So yeah, cutting back is obviously going to help but there is no sense in demonizing wheat.

As always, it's better to work with a nutritionist to achieve whatever goals you set instead of following fad diets alone.

VALIS

My recent diet of lots of beer and weight lifting has been working pretty well, actually.

Sugars definitely plump me up, and I am a low-carb advocate in general, but honestly, so does a plate of skinless chicken and spinach. It seems to me every diet plan from here to doomsday is all about avoiding the uncomfortable truth that eating less and exercising more is the key to weight loss.

Eljay

Neo Member

Antibiotic use and its impact on humans is still up for debate. You can do a search and draw up any number of news articles and reports debating both sides, but I look at it from the standpoint of why they need to be used in the first place: to keep alive animals that otherwise wouldn't survive and to sustain the factory farm environments many animals are raised in. You don't want to eat the vegetables that are bruised or discolored, why should you eat the meat that would be in the exact same situation as well? If an animal is healthy and well-raised its going to have a better biologic makeup than the alternative.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I think you mean:
"You ate healthier food and consequently desired smaller servings and lost weight."

Liberty4all

Banned
Bread does contain a lot of calories. like 160 or so for a single slice of whole wheat.
So yeah, cutting back is obviously going to help but there is no sense in demonizing wheat.

As always, it's better to work with a nutritionist to achieve whatever goals you set instead of following fad diets alone.

Although I love bread and potatoes, most of my carbs was coming from white rice as my wife is asian and would make ridiculous (to me) amounts at dinner time. I did eat a buttered bagel every morning for breakfast. Eventually though we both noticed we were gaining weight and decided it must be from the carbs. So that was what we eliminated.

Although I love bread and potatoes, most of my carbs was coming from white rice as my wife is asian and would make ridiculous (to me) amounts at dinner time. I did eat a buttered bagel every morning for breakfast. Eventually though we both noticed we were gaining weight and decided it must be from the carbs. So that was what we eliminated.

Yeah, that's what I get from most of threads is people eating a bigger portions, then cutting back the most caloric intensive foods and lo and behold they lose weight. Well, duh. I lost a lot of weight while in college because I was eating less and walking everywhere. I gained weight when I graduated due to being at home (bigger meals) and not being as active. But, that's just my experience and it may not work for everyone. The thing is, people react differently as they do with drugs, so it's not clear-cut.

black_13

Banned
I have to say the calorie intake thing only works to a certain point. I dropped to 175 and from there my weight didn't even move despite eating well below my daily required intake.

And yes Milk is really bad for weight loss. At least for me. Every 2nd day I eat cereal for breakfast, bran flakes which have the lowest calorie/fat and I can just feel it hindering my weight loss. Makes me bloated and screws up my digestion. But I love cereal so much I can't reduce it anymore.

My current diet is pretty similar to this already but I might incorporate more of it if I don't end up going down anymore.

Eljay

Neo Member
It's always good to hear that someone gets a better understanding of their body.

In the US 0.71% (1 in 141) have some form of CD. And the vast majority go their lives undiagnosed due to not having major complaints or complications.

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v107/n10/full/ajg2012219a.html

I would really recommend you listen to this for a good understanding of gluten and how prevalent gluten-sensitivity is.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4239

Its also important to note its often a degenerative disease, so many people go through decades of discomfort until it turns into full-blown celiac. My Mother didn't get diagnosed until she was over 40 and suddenly learned why she often got sick after eating malt and hated beer despite loving alcohol. Luckily going GF is much easier today than it was even five years ago due to all the fad-dieters latching onto it. I'm certainly not complaining since it makes my life much easier.

NewFresh

Antibiotic use and its impact on humans is still up for debate. You can do a search and draw up any number of news articles and reports debating both sides, but I look at it from the standpoint of why they need to be used in the first place: to keep alive animals that otherwise wouldn't survive and to sustain the factory farm environments many animals are raised in. You don't want to eat the vegetables that are bruised or discolored, why should you eat the meat that would be in the exact same situation as well? If an animal is healthy and well-raised its going to have a better biologic makeup than the alternative.

I think you meant Physiological makeup, not biological.

I have no issues with what you want to eat, but there are other reasons for antibiotics. Like preventing MRSA from contaminating your meat.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0030092#s3

Its also important to note its often a degenerative disease, so many people go through decades of discomfort until it turns into full-blown celiac. My Mother didn't get diagnosed until she was over 40 and suddenly learned why she often got sick after eating malt and hated beer despite loving alcohol. Luckily going GF is much easier today than it was even five years ago due to all the fad-dieters latching onto it. I'm certainly not complaining since it makes my life much easier.

Probably the best thing to come out of the fads are that it is easier for someone with a real gluten issue to find what they need.

way more

This post will be big with our vast hypochondriac community. Hell, it's even got me worried.

Do I have abdominal pain I can't explain?
Do I eat gluten foods?
Will develop celiac disorder in several decades if I don't change my ways???

NewFresh

This post will be big with our vast hypochondriac community. Hell, it's even got me worried.

Do I have abdominal pain I can't explain?
Do I eat gluten foods?
Will develop celiac disorder in several decades if I don't change my ways???

People will get worked up about anything. It's a simple blood test people! Get it done before you freak out.

Sinistral

The OP should have introduced Primal first. The lack of Dairy and Nuts is a larger barrier to overcome for people.

Either way, this is just one diet of many that are effective. You as a human have the choice and ability to try all, many or none.

For me personally Primal worked wonders. I hit a long plateau of 240 on a "regular" healthy diet and workout (down from 330), and smashed through it switching to Primal. Hitting 210 shortly after.

Edit: Yes, it can get ridiculously expensive if you're anal about free-range, naturally fed, no preservatives, no additives, locally grown, in season foods.

Iph

Banned
I started switching my diet to this a couple of years ago when I had stomach issues and gave up grains, sugar, processed foods and almost all dairy. I cringed a lot when I had a long roadtrip and had to eat McDicks's and other crap on occasion. I appreciate real food so much more now and love to cook, even if it's a 'leftovers hash' made from yesterdays roast chicken and mixed vegetables.

I sometimes have problems with sugar still, when offered (especially when it's something traditional). Coffee is my other weakness; now I try to make to fresh ground at home with plain coconut milk in it (creamy kind you usually put in curry). :d

It sucks how many people would never stick to eating like this because they were raised to believe removing sugars, grains and dairy from the diet is unacceptable (I even have cheese and plain yoghurt sometimes though).

Turok_TTZ

Paleo thread? I approve. a lot of the benefits the OP lists are in fact true, speaking anecdotally, I have received all the benefits the OP has listed. oh and I lost 30+ lbs doing absolutely nothing :).

I do not view Paleo as a weight loss diet. its much more than that. Paleo unlocks the full potential of the human body. try it for one month. not hard for those with strong willpower.

if u can't go whole unprocessed go minimally processed. no excuses. veggies are as important as meat. if u eat alot of meat make sure u eat as much in veggies. fruits shud be eaten sparingly.

oh and avoid the garbage that are grains, processed sugars, legumes, junk in general. I won't list dairy since technically speaking Dairy is only banned to those who are lactose intolerant. and there are alot of lactose intolerant peeps, do not act like they don't exist.

dont worry the junk wont kill you. it will just limit you, simple really. your body still functions regularly, just less efficient. ex: your immune system will probably be inferior to my own and maybe by a big margin. or not. but superior to my own? not a chance without meds or superior genetics.

I'm a proud paleo man. pizza? I do still have pizza. Though I replaced the bread with meat instead. its called meatza, the better pizza. scope it out.

VALIS

dont worry the junk wont kill you. it will just limit you, simple really. your body still functions regularly, just less efficient. ex: your immune system will probably be inferior to my own and maybe by a big margin. or not. but superior to my own? not a chance without meds or superior genetics.

Someone please put him in the prism prison before he kills us all.

2Q9A3.jpg

NewFresh

I think the anti-grain thing is the weirdest part about the people who follow and push the diet. It's true that grain are not a vital necessity, since you can attain the necessary vitamins and minerals from various sources (Albeit more than one); however, grains do have large benefits to their consumption.

See:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3078018/
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/848.abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685951
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17684221

Also, no offense to Turok_TTZ, but he comes off as a bit fanatical.

JimiNutz

Banned
I tried this diet for a week last year.
I first heard about it on the Joe Rogan boards and was really excited to try it.

For breakfast I had a poached egg and some fruit (usually a banana).

For lunch I had grilled chicken breast and a handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner would be grilled chicken breast with salad leaves and some fruit for afters.

In-between these meals I would also drink plain whey protein shakes as I go to the gym regularly...

I felt terrible.
Always hungry, really lethargic, moody/snappy.

I gave up after a week because I thought it was unfair on my girlfriend as I was so snappy and tired. I also felt hungry and nauseous a lot.

Should I have stuck at it longer? Would it have passed?

Maybe I should have mixed up what I ate a bit more? Are plain whey isolate shakes with water allowed?

Turok_TTZ

Someone please put him in the prism prison before he kills us all.

2Q9A3.jpg

your hyperbole regardless of sarcasm is duly noted.
Paleo is for those who wish to unleash the full potential of the human body. I will not convert anyone. anyone who wants to get into Paleo must make that first, second, and third step themselves. research paleo. test paleo. embrace paleo.

and then love paleo.

@ NutJobJim
Try for one month. not a week. if your still like that in one month then your body is just different from most.
also what do normally eat before u tried to go paleo? from what u suffered I assume you consumed much processed sugar. sounds like thats what it is. I'd also highly recommend to stay away from anything that has HFCS. you should also eat alot more veggies from what you posted.... Try adding Broccoli and carrots. or potatoes.
whey protein shakes by default are a no go. your better off eating a real meal. so says robb wolf but I do not recall the article. if ur not lactose intolerant i guess its fine. though I'd really recommend a prepared meal in advance.

Pein

Banned
I tried this diet for a week last year.
I first heard about it on the Joe Rogan boards and was really excited to try it.

For breakfast I had a poached egg and some fruit (usually a banana).

For lunch I had grilled chicken breast and a handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner would be grilled chicken breast with salad leaves and some fruit for afters.

In-between these meals I would also drink plain whey protein shakes as I go to the gym regularly...

I felt terrible.
Always hungry, really lethargic, moody/snappy.

I gave up after a week because I thought it was unfair on my girlfriend as I was so snappy and tired. I also felt hungry and nauseous a lot.

Should I have stuck at it longer? Would it have passed?

Maybe I should have mixed up what I ate a bit more? Are plain whey isolate shakes with water allowed?
I was moody as fuck but I lost 40lbs on the diet.

Top Bottom