• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Stop trying to complicate being healthy and losing weight. Energy in and energy out. Its that simple. Don't cut out grains, fibres, dairy or whatever, don't just eat apples and cheese. A diet of varied foods and healthy foods is all you need.

bart+moves.gif

Evlar

Banned
Actually life expectancy dropped with the rise of agriculture.
Why do you think agriculture was adopted? There had to be a reason, right?

I think the theory behind paleo dieting is kinda naive, but whatever floats your boat. It's the crazy anthropological pop-science that accompanies paleo that droves me up a wall.

Darryl

Banned
i like the version of this diet that doesn't exclude cheeses.

I don't get why dairy should not be allowed. Evolutionarily we have adapted to process milk well into adulthood, at least those of us who descend from milk drinking cultures.

it seems like people just take the concept of paleo too far and that restriction is more for technical reasons.

way more

It's mostly a reaction against the over processed foods of the past 50-some years. Agricultural revolution as a whole is addressed by the literature. Keep in mind the ease of getting food today as opposed to the past, and it becomes easier to see why it is a problem today. That, coupled with advances in archaeological sciences allowing us to confirm what more primitive humans actually ate (genetic/biological basis) provide a stronger case than "here's the magic bullet that will cure all your ills."

Diets are one of those touchy subjects though, like politics... No one else is right.

And that's why I'm so skeptical. Each new diet that claims to be "the one" are like people who predict the end of the world. That said, it's not a bad looking diet, I'm just not sure it should be sold as some back-to-nature, one-with-the-earth, romantic naturalism diet.

Why do you think agriculture was adopted? There had to be a reason, right?

Food surpluses. Even if grains and such lowered life expectancy, they provided significant advantage to societies as they grew in number.

Agricultural societies would outperform any hunter-gatherer/paleo society for sure. Going paleo in an agricultural society is basically a luxury.

Anyway I remember reading about the decrease in life expectancy in Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Studies by George Armelagos and his colleagues then at the University of Massachusetts show these early farmers paid a price for their new-found livelihood. Compared to the hunter-gatherers who preceded them, the farmers had a nearly 50 per cent increase in enamel defects indicative of malnutrition, a fourfold increase in iron-deficiency anemia (evidenced by a bone condition called porotic hyperostosis), a theefold rise in bone lesions reflecting infectious disease in general, and an increase in degenerative conditions of the spine, probably reflecting a lot of hard physical labor. "Life expectancy at birth in the pre-agricultural community was bout twenty-six years," says Armelagos, "but in the post-agricultural community it was nineteen years. So these episodes of nutritional stress and infectious disease were seriously affecting their ability to survive."

Thus with the advent of agriculture and elite became better off, but most people became worse off. Instead of swallowing the progressivist party line that we chose agriculture because it was good for us, we must ask how we got trapped by it despite its pitfalls.

One answer boils down to the adage "Might makes right." Farming could support many more people than hunting, albeit with a poorer quality of life. (Population densities of hunter-gatherers are rarely over on person per ten square miles, while farmers average 100 times that.) Partly, this is because a field planted entirely in edible crops lets one feed far more mouths than a forest with scattered edible plants. Partly, too, it's because nomadic hunter-gatherers have to keep their children spaced at four-year intervals by infanticide and other means, since a mother must carry her toddler until it's old enough to keep up with the adults. Because farm women don't have that burden, they can and often do bear a child every two years.

Source: http://www.ditext.com/diamond/mistake.html

Of course the source in my opinion is overly hostile to agriculture. I disagree with Diamond that agriculture was a mistake. Without those food surpluses we would not be where we were today. I think Diamond is guilty of over-idolizing hunter gatherers as egalitarian utopias.

harSon

Banned
Because we were able to expand as a species beyond a few thousand people following a herd here and there?

When you start acting like they are the scourge of humanity... Or that they have no nutritional value, then you are officially insane.

Lots of thin healthy people eat this stuff all year, many as their main diet.

Stop trying to complicate being healthy and losing weight. Energy in and energy out. Its that simple. Don't cut out grains, fibres, dairy or whatever, don't just eat apples and cheese. A diet of varied foods and healthy foods is all you need.

We should t go paleo or present paleo or post Jurassic, we should not go Atkins or whatever the new trend is. Because trends don't last.

Except for the fact that our body doesn't perfectly apply to the law of thermodynamics. It's not as simple as Calories in, Calories Out. Otherwise the law would be applicable across the board without question, and as Low-Carb dieters show, weight can be lost and kept off by disregarding calories almost entirely, and instead, focusing on keeping carbohydrate consumption to a minimum.

Dash27

Define healthy food. I think that's where you get all the disagreement.

What I have found agreement on though is eating whole unprocessed foods. Paleo, forks over knives, Michael Pollan books... all disagree on things but where they do agree is on the unrefined foods and limiting sugar.

Energy in and energy out is a given, the issue is in the details of the best way to achieve that outcome in a healthy way.

markot

Banned
People who survived were probably stronger during our caveman stage. But with grains and a more abundant food source, more people survived into adulthood, fewer babies had to be abandoned because there wasnt enough food to go around...etc... They lived longer cause they had to fight to survive. We may have had a lower life expectancy, but we had more people surviving into their child bearing years.

Just look at lions and co, the alpha male gets to eat first, the the others, then the babies. Children are the first to be sacrificed when food becomes scarce. Because you can always try for more later when the rain comes again and the herds are bigger. Most species do not fight to the death for their children.

SolKane

How come the remaining cavemen didn't just overrun the lard ass proto-farmers? Seems like it would be an easy kill imo

Is there a reason why I'm following dietary advice about a time when the age being referenced had little access to the food being recommended and the people had notoriously short life expectancy? Stop being a pig disgusting oaf and eating processed food and you will be ok. People have been eating grains for thousands of years, why would we stop now. I don't mean to sound aggressive but I'm sick of dieting and the myriad ways people recommend you a dieting plan. Dieting is not as important as your diet.

b3b0p

Except for the fact that our body doesn't perfectly apply to the law of thermodynamics. It's not as simple as Calories in, Calories Out. Otherwise the law would be applicable across the board without question, and as Low-Carb dieters show, weight can be lost and kept off by disregarding calories almost entirely, and instead, focusing on keeping carbohydrate consumption to a minimum.
Links? Sources? Studies?

harSon

Banned
Is there a reason why I'm following dietary advice about a time when the age being referenced had little access to the food being recommended and the people had notoriously short life expectancy? Stop being a pig disgusting oaf and eating processed food and you will be ok. People have been eating grains for thousands of years, why would we stop now. I don't mean to sound aggressive but I'm sick of dieting and the myriad ways people recommend you a dieting plan. Dieting is not as important as your diet.

Well, that's because you're confusing their intent. They're not meant as a diet, they're meant as a lifestyle change, ie. from this day forward you eat like this till the day you die.

Life expectancy dropped from 26 to 19 with the rise of agriculture. That said, agriculture has allowed us to have societies with life expectancies in the 70s and 80s.

How come the remaining cavemen didn't just overrun the lard ass proto-farmers? Seems like it would be an easy kill imo

Population densities of hunter-gatherers are rarely over on person per ten square miles, while farmers average 100 times that.

http://www.ditext.com/diamond/mistake.html

Though I really don't buy the conclusion that grains are some SUPER EVIL that will insta-kill you and make you obese no matter what you do .

paleo can't do this.. and im sorry spaghetti squash and cauliflower rice are just not the same, i've tried them before

paleo isn't the only way in the world to be healthy

and im not a caveman, its 2013!

What are these? Ingredients and instructions would be much obliged

I tried the Paleo died for a few weeks, and whilst I enjoyed the food, I found it to be quite expensive when eating salads outside (when you're at work or school). Healthy food is generally priced at a premium when compared to fast food

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna lose 100 pounds in a week, will the paleo diet accommodate to my needs?

markot

Banned

I tried the Paleo died for a few weeks, and whilst I enjoyed the food, I found it to be quite expensive when eating salads outside (when you're at work or school). Healthy food is generally priced at a premium when compared to fast food
I think governments should do more to make healthy foods cheaper and tax crappy foods as well. Its cheaper and easier to eat rubbish, so people do.

Rootbeer

Banned
Subscribed! I've had trouble finding a diet plan that works for me. I tried going veg for a while but avoiding meat was a huge challenge for me, maybe someday I can get to that stage but for now I think I should focus on eliminating the two bigger evils as far as health is concerned: sugar and wheat. And Paleo is a good plan for those.

I've been mostly Paleo over the last 5 days after reading about it here on GAF and plan to increase my Paleo 'compliance' in the coming week. I think 80 - 90% should be easy for me. Some days probably 100%.

Today I've had a cage-free scramble for breakfast and some grilled veggies with cheese and a bit of fruit for lunch. Dinner probably some salad and half of a baked salmon fillet I prepped.

I'm a huge coffee drinker and I just tried my first cup of "bulletproof" coffee (peets beans ground at home, brewed via pour over method, low-salt organic grass-fed butter [could not find salt free, it's on my list though] and some coconut oil). it's going to take some adjusting but the coconut flavor was rather nice.

I tend to be on a lower fat diet though, and today i've eaten quite a bit more fat than i'm used to. I can definitely feel a difference... not sure my body likes this. But we'll see how it goes over the next week.

Red

And that's why I'm so skeptical. Each new diet that claims to be "the one" are like people who predict the end of the world. That said, it's not a bad looking diet, I'm just not sure it should be sold as some back-to-nature, one-with-the-earth, romantic naturalism diet.
It is good to be a skeptic. But ignoring the framing of a paleo diet as a holistic, natural, near-mystical healing force, can you really argue against "avoid processed carbs, and eat whole, natural foods"? It's easy to rally against a new "fad diet" in the name of reasoned moderation, but be careful to not reduce it to its negatives when there is so much good in it.

I try not to get caught up in the religious zeal of paleo's most ardent disciples (that's really what they can seem like sometimes... Conquerors, crusaders), if only to retain a healthy distance from the emotional attachment to what is, in essence, a personal lifestyle choice.

i just googled spaghetti, fried rice and sandwich dude

they are my favorite easy to make foods

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
can someone mail me a large pizza with extra bread

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-pizza-tmnt.jpg

Excretion is easier from a crouched position, but I doubt anyone on this diet takes their dumps crouched over a log like a caveman.

way more

It is good to be a skeptic. But ignoring the framing of a paleo diet as a holistic, natural, near-mystical healing force, can you really argue against "avoid processed carbs, and eat whole, natural foods"? It's easy to rally against a new "fad diet" in the name of reasoned moderation, but be careful to not reduce it to its negatives when there is so much good in it.

For the most part I can't argue with it because it is so simple. It's really the place it comes from than it's actual recommendations and the idea that the principal of the diet can lead lead to bad advice.

i just googled spaghetti, fried rice and sandwich dude

they are my favorite easy to make foods

This Sand-wich intrigues me, is it some ethnic food?

web01

Modern cultivars of fruits have been selected for high amount of sweetness/sugar its not really the same food the as prehistoric man would have eaten at all.

He's also completely ignoring the influence of genetic tendencies. Different kinds of food affect my body in vastly different ways. A lot of us have to very closely monitor the stuff that we eat lest we quickly put on unhealthy amounts of weight.

Red

For the most part I can't argue with it because it is so simple. It's really the place it comes from than it's actual recommendations and the idea that the principal of the diet can lead lead to bad advice.
I get that. Keeping yourself away from the impassioned is usually a good thing, especially in a place like GAF, where like-minded voices can start to create a self-validating feedback loop. But, like you said earlier: it's a pretty good looking diet! I don't know how much you've read about it, but it might be worth looking into more if you have the time. You seem savvy enough to pick out what's bogus (and with dietary lifestyles, there will always be some of that mixed in).

IceCold

What's the rational behind not eating grains, legumes (especially peanuts) and dairy? This diet is a bit to strict for me, I wouldn't be able to jump right into it.

Also you know when they say to eat more fat. Is that mostly from nuts, oils, and, stuff like avocados or does the fat in meat suffice? Like if I were to eat a meal consisting of some chicken breasts and broccoli would that contain enough fat?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's the rational behind not eating grains, legumes (especially peanuts) and dairy? This diet is a bit to strict for me, I wouldn't be able to jump right into it.

Also you know when they say to eat more fat. Is that mostly from nuts, oils, and, stuff like avocados or does the fat in meat suffice? Like if I were to eat a meal consisting of some chicken breasts and broccoli would that contain enough fat?

The rational is that the human genome has adapted to foods most during the paleolithic era because it spanned such a long time.

I think paleo's elimination of dairy is completely unnecessary because there is little evidence that dairy harms people without lactose intolerance. Likewise for grains like rice, though I get wheat which is suspect.

But overall you cannot go wrong with the diet. It's basically a diet that strictly says eat very healthy foods and avoid all processed food.

Piecake

Well, ive noticed that my digestive health is much better after ive cut grains. I guess i was a bit gluten intolerant. Basically, I do not get bloated, my stomach never gets upset, and my shit never leaves shit stains (no-wipers)

And youd probably need more fat than that, but you could easily get it from eating eggs (ultimate food) or full fat greek yogurt (dairy good)

But yea, basically just eat full fat stuff, fatter cuts of meat, cook in butter. use butter, and other stuff and youll be good.

Im honestly not super strict about it. Basically i just follow two rules. No grain and no sugar. Doing that, ive never felt better and lost weight while eating a ton of food. I used to always get colds. Those are gone now too (probably due to my insulin not spiking constantly from sugar and carbs)

lupinko

This diet is legit, I lost 25lbs just recently, and working toward losing another 30lbs.

Of course this is in tandem with exercise.

Top Bottom