• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Demo - PS5 and Series X graphics and performance comparison

It seems like a fairly obvious thing but it appears many on here need to be reminded… this is a cross gen game released simultaneously on multiple different platforms. The game was designed to run on shitty Jaguar CPU cores and mechanical HDDs. Nobody on this forum has any idea the extent next gen hardware/software features are being utilised on Series/PS5. Thus the conclusion of which is the stronger machine is moot, regardless of which machine pulls ahead in this particular game. Yes, console X can play non next gen game A better than console Y. Fantastic. But what does it really mean when we aren’t seeing the full extent of what these machines can do. We aren’t seeing engines designed to fully utilise the IO, Geometry engine and blazing speed of the PS5. Nor are we seeing use of Series X features like SFS, VRS, Mesh shaders and the raw power of the Series X.

For the record this game is releasing on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, One S, One X, Series S, Series X, PC, Stadia. On pc it is releasing on epic games store and steam and also supports nvidia RTX features. Does anyone really believe that each version is pushing the respective system to the max? The developer most likely isn’t even interested in that sort of thing and is simply shooting for parity where possible. Who the fuck knows? This thread is pretty sad indeed when people are arguing best versions of back compat CyberPunk that doesn’t even have a full next gen console release.

Old Empire.

No worries, will come more games and I´m pretty sure that Hitman 3 won´t be the last with better performance on SX.

Even about Outriders (game with older gen graphics) till the profresional comparisons with the lastest patches we won´t know who will win. Let them enjoy comparing a demo that doesn't prove anything.
You might be onto something there about the engine's used?

Again, I don’t understand comments, the PS5 more capable machine when it runs a CPU intensive game at a lower resolution?

Plenty of evidence there the power not a myth. A dev team used the power and both machines ran the game at 60fps that even more proof, the studio dev team was not lazy with either version.

4K native, 60fps was scoffed at last gen as possible, but here we are

Old Empire.

CPU difference is meaningless between the two, PS5 GPU has other advantages over XSX GPU. You're clueless. And stay like that! PERIOD!

CPU heavy game you say. And XSX is fully capable. So, why XSX version is performing worse in Hitman 3. LOL

DF found one scene, that was seconds to go through, that dropped frames. 99.99 percent of the rest, they played was a locked 60fps at 4k native.

Krisprolls

Banned
You might be onto something there about the engine's used?

Again, I don’t understand comments, the PS5 more capable machine when it runs a CPU intensive game at a lower resolution?

Plenty of evidence there the power not a myth. A dev team used the power and both machines ran the game at 60fps that even more proof, the studio dev team was not lazy with either version.

4K native, 60fps was scoffed at last gen as possible, but here we are

I agree with this position, so far not really turning out to be Xbox One and PS4 comparison battle.. Last gen you could see plainly the differences for years where the PS4 had the better resolution, even in some cases, better graphics and frame rate.

This early and only a few months into launch, resolution not really the issue, the settings seem to be different on both consoles, with PS5 having a better frame rate because of it. Other places there parity, but PS5 has a slight frame rate advantage.

Coming from the PC world and build my own, I don’t see any good reason the PS5 be beating the Series when the specs for the CPU and GPU are better on the Xbox. A weaker spec never surpasses the better spec for gaming, so there something else at play here that providing the PS5 a few wins at the beginning. It early launch and expect more devs will harness the power like the devs for Hitman did and PS5 clearly was behind there in resolution and some graphic settings.

Maybe the leap will not be large, we'll find out..

Xbox should still pull ahead next year wit next gen games, does not, something off about the Series X and explantations will be asked for!

Every game outside of Hitman 3 ran better on PS5. Better framerate, usually better or same resolution (Valhalla, CoD, DMC5 high perf mode where it runs a lot more frames...). The proof is in the pudding, PS5 probably runs games slightly better than Series X, it's unlikely to change, although it'll stay close to parity outside of exclusives.

The error is believing in the teraflops MS marketing, nothing more. Like multiple devs explained, teraflops is a meaningless number, it's a never achieved theorical peak number of instructions per second... That, and PC gamers thinking they know everything and it's all about CPU and GPU TFlops.

But a console is not a PC, it may have tons of custom hardware. PS5 has a custom geometry engine, custom I/O, custom SSD, custom cache scrubbers, higher clock than XSX (boosting every part of the console), variable frequency ensuring the max is reached at any time, probably more we don't know... It matters as much as a small raw number difference for overall performance. There's no reason PS5 couldn't be the overall more powerful console. First results tend to say it is indeed the most powerful overall.

On PC yes, GPU tells you the best PC, because the rest is mostly similar. Not on consoles.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

Well Sony wasn't the one to market their system as being the most powerful. Nor did they brag about having the superior versions of games. I think due to all the FUD people's expectations for the PS5 were extremely low. Seeing it being on par with the most powerful system is nice to see. Nobody wanted it to be underpowered and the games are showing that it's a pretty capable console.

You’re right. You buying the Series on the expectation third party games will run better. It got very little to do with console warring. As a Series owner, i don’t care what happens on PS5 right now. I owed a PS4 pro so i not against Playstation success. I experienced playing games on there.

Some wins have lead to some wild speculation that PS5 had rdna3, and has some secret sauce. For me that’s nonsense since GPU with more power and higher clocked CPU should always have the advantage, if things are utilzed correctly. Hitman a good example. If next year PS5 and Xbox have same settings, resolution but higher frame rate on PS5 then we talk.

I not sure why Playstation fans are insecure anyhow. First party clearly superior to Xbox right now.

You buying the Series on the expectation third party games will run better.

That's pretty much the expectation that Microsoft set for the console. They literally gave you a guarantee with their marketing that its the most powerful system. People assume that most powerful means that every game will run best on it. When that doesn't happen people have the right to question it.

With that said Microsoft did change the messaging with their marketing so there's definitely something they realized later on. Doesn't mean it isn't the most powerful system but it could mean they can't guarantee every game performing better on it. Each system has their strengths so maybe with some games they will be better on the competitors platform.

Old Empire.

If the analysis of the game it to be used as a "benchmark", it clearly exposes shortcomings of XSX. So, PS5 has better framerate. Also, in other comparison video XSX version during sniper aiming tanks to 40s

You must be trolling. PS5 IS 1800p Series 2160p.

Was 720p not a big deal for power. It's roughly same level of power as above to reach 1080p
720P+ 360P= 1080p
1800p+360P= 2160P!

Thats a significant gap!

if things are utilzed correctly. Hitman a good example. If next year PS5 and Xbox have same settings, resolution but higher frame rate on PS5 then we talk.

I not sure why Playstation fans are insecure anyhow. First party clearly superior to Xbox right now.

Hitman is a good of example of what? How XSX is a performing worse despite higher res and a.... better shadows, right?

Talking about insecurity....

As a Series owner, i don’t care what happens on PS5 right now

Oh, yes, you do care. I does bother you when supposedly a "much weaker" platform is outperforming a stronger one. Outsider demo is the last example.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

Me trolling about which version is performing better framerate wise. Yeah, sure. You're lost, man
One scene, that last seconds, that can be patched and fixed. You ignore the hours of gameplay thats a perfect 4k native 60fps locked. You think Hitman better running on PS5 at lower resolution, because the few seconds, not dropping on that console. Its delusional thinking my friend!

Old Empire.

Oh, yes, you do care. I does bother you when supposedly a "much weaker" platform is outperforming a stronger one. Outsider demo is the last example.
I care to correct false statements. I already admitted the PS5 had some slight advantages in some games with frame rate, at the same resolution. Go back and read the thread.

You pushing a narrative performance is all that matters, and totally ignore other aspects like NPCS, cars, graphics, with Cyberpunk.

huraga

Banned
Well Sony wasn't the one to market their system as being the most powerful. Nor did they brag about having the superior versions of games. I think due to all the FUD people's expectations for the PS5 were extremely low. Seeing it being on par with the most powerful system is nice to see. Nobody wanted it to be underpowered and the games are showing that it's a pretty capable console.
I understand you perfecly but you know that it´s marketing. Same marketing than Sony (Power of Cell PS3) or Microsoft (Power of Cloud) made always, its nothing new.
But, it is unfair to try to underpower Series X on the basis of poor arguments. Especially based on comparisons of people with a biased opinion and where the comparisons are often very poor. And even worse based on YouTube videos with high compression, without us knowing how they have captured the images of each console.

Also, as I have indicated before, we are comparing games with engines from previous generations that do not take advantage of the qualities of the new consoles. I still see games with graphics from the last generation with higher resolution and frames but nothing that surprises me.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
We've seen a next gen engine demo running on PS5, and it looked great (Unreal 5).
Is Glacier Engine II a next gen engine? :pie_thinking:
Edit: I checked, it is not.
No, you´ve seen a video that they told that it was running in PS5. In the past I can remember how killzone 2 and Anthem were amazing in the E3 but the final version was so different. Anyway, by the moment no any game is using a new next gen Engine.

I care to correct false statements. I already admitted the PS5 had some slight advantages in some games with frame rate, at the same resolution. Go back and read the thread. You pushing a narrative performance is all that matters, and totally ignore other aspects like NPCS, cars, graphics, with Cyberpunk

Only who creates a false statements is you.
I'm not ignoring it. Never did. LOL. But CY2077 needs to be scaled back on Xbone to run properly on XSX in BC. As NXG clearly pointed it out as a BAD DECISION. What's the point then of higher graphical settings if game runs worse?

One scene, that last seconds, that can be patched and fixed. You ignore the hours of gameplay thats a perfect 4k native 60fps locked. You think Hitman better running on PS5 at lower resolution, because the few seconds, not dropping on that console. Its delusional thinking my friend!

Hours, really? LOL Well, surely it's not a 15 hours analysis. If analysis has a scene or more of them where PS5 performs better, well, it performs better. Also mentioned that in another comparison from DF Hitman 3 tanked to 40s on XSX. If the analysis of the game it to be used as a "benchmark", it clearly exposes shortcomings of XSX. So, PS5 has better framerate.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
Only who creates a false statements is you.
I'm not ignoring it. Never did. LOL. But CY2077 needs to be scaled back on Xbone to run properly on XSX in BC. As NXG clearly pointed it out as a BAD DECISION. What's the point then of higher graphical settings if game runs worse?

Hours, really? LOL Well, surely it's not a 15 hours analysis. If analysis has a scene or more of them where PS5 performs better, well, it performs better. Also mentioned that in another comparison from DF Hitman 3 tanked to 40s on XSX. If the analysis of the game it to be used as a "benchmark", it clearly exposes shortcomings of XSX. So, PS5 has better framerate.
On the other hand, the game on PS5 has much lower resolution and worse shadows. Don't you think it makes sense to move it more easily at 60fps?

Hitman clearly works better on Series X, as other games do on PS5. Is it so hard to admit?

Last edited:
On the other hand, the game on PS5 has much lower resolution and worse shadows. Don't you think it makes sense to move it more easily at 60fps?

Hitman clearly works better on Series X, as other games do on PS5. Is it so hard to admit?

Never denied that PS5 has lower res and worse shadows. Of course it easier. Maybe also scaled back resolution or shadows on XSX would hold 60fps better. Hitman doesn't works clearly on XSX when it doesn't outperforming PS5 in every category.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

That's pretty much the expectation that Microsoft set for the console. They literally gave you a guarantee with their marketing that its the most powerful system. People assume that most powerful means that every game will run best on it. When that doesn't happen people have the right to question it.

With that said Microsoft did change the messaging with their marketing so there's definitely something they realized later on. Doesn't mean it isn't the most powerful system but it could mean they can't guarantee every game performing better on it. Each system has their strengths so maybe with some games they will be better on the competitors platform.

You make a decent point and yes, people felt the power advantage would show immediately. Perhaps, clearly thats the case right now in some instances like AC Valhalla at launch.

Personally, I believe, this is just teething obstacles and not a actual sign; the PS5 has some secret sauce that will make it better or have parity with the Xbox. My view.

Either way, whose right and wrong will be shown in time. If I'm wrong about the strength of the Xbox, more than happy to receive many more dozens of laughing emojis on here!

Last edited:
I understand you perfecly but you know that it´s marketing. Same marketing than Sony (Power of Cell PS3) or Microsoft (Power of Cloud) made always, its nothing new.
But, it is unfair to try to underpower Series X on the basis of poor arguments. Especially based on comparisons of people with a biased opinion and where the comparisons are often very poor. And even worse based on YouTube videos with high compression, without us knowing how they have captured the images of each console.

Also, as I have indicated before, we are comparing games with engines from previous generations that do not take advantage of the qualities of the new consoles. I still see games with graphics from the last generation with higher resolution and frames but nothing that surprises me.

Well I think it's unfair to call the PS5 underpowered which appears is what your doing. Many people fall for the FUD and believe the console can't keep up with the Series X.

You really need to stop underestimating the systems capabilities.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
Well I think it's unfair to call the PS5 underpowered which appears is what your doing. Many people fall for the FUD and believe the console can't keep up with the Series X.
I don't think the PS5 is underpowered or even significantly less than Series X. I think both are very similar but have different ways of achieving their goals. I think that in some scenarios one will work better and in others the other. I like a lot PS5 but also Series X.

PS5 has some secret sauce that will make it better or have parity with the Xbox.

It's much simpler than that. Each system has their own strengths and weaknesses. In some games the PS5 will have the advantage and on others the Series.X will have it. It's not like comparing a PC from 5 years ago to a PC that you can build today.

I don't personally believe that one system has a massive advantage over the other. Only the Series S can be considered weak when compared to the other two.

Last edited:
Are we warring over a demo?
People would rather engage in a console war than play the actual demo. I hated the demo at first but found some 80s/90s B action movie charm in the world and characters and the combat is nasty and violent. Seen a lot of people saying it feels like a 360/PS3 game and I LOVE that. B tier games have all but disappeared and there were so many fun games from that era. I'll take this over AAAA cinematic so much art here! type games on consoles and the next flash in the pan Early Access borefest.

Last edited:
diy tools GIF by Reuben Armstrong
Careful, I got kicked out of a thread for posting a similar gif.

So if you talk about tools it better be to shine microsofts shoes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That now how things work. Clearly there different versions of the same game, since the Series version, has more cars, population density, better distance lighting, even visually in many places, the scenes are way better. compared to the same area on PS5. So the Series obviously has more headroom here. Since it be easier for devs to increase car density and population on PS5 with updates and has not happened.

Nxgamer even noticed changes after the updates lighting and graphic improvements on the Series, clearly missing on the PS5.

I not sure what the company can do to make it look much better, if the game suffering already. The game was started with last gen in mind, and take lot of work to rebuild the game to make run and look totally different.

Christ...

It is. There is no Ps5 version.
Thank you. I dont get why this is complicated.

Also, TIL that all BC games are identical for last gen, no matter which console. Seems to me some ppl are confusing next gen patches for last gen games vs next gen versions.

Last edited:

Shmunter

XSX has since launch outperformed the PS5 in one (1) title - Hitman 3. You can blame tools or whatever but that is the verdict so far.

BC is ofc better on the XSX since the PS5 is locked into emulating a PS4 Pro while XSX has hardware based back compat. I am not sure I should cry, laugh or start to call people idiots for bringing up BC titles at this point.
I don’t agree XsX beat PS5 in Hitman. The game exposed the systems shortcomings in sustaining 60fps under more complex scenery. If it ran at 60 like PS5 while at higher rez the it would be a win, but it doesn’t.

muteZX

Banned
IF alpha THEN drops frames. As with Mendoza's Hitman 3 mission, XSX has a "problem" with scenes with a large number of alpha effects (with a large image area coverage). Fog, smoke, grass, trees, flowers therefore kills XSX. Relative lack of fillrate compared to more powerful PS5 / ROPs at much higher frequency/.

muteZX

Banned
IF alpha THEN drops frames. As with Mendoza's Hitman 3 mission, XSX has a "problem" with scenes with a large number of alpha effects (with a large image area coverage). Fog, smoke, grass, trees, flowers therefore kills XSX. Relative lack of fillrate compared to more powerful PS5 / ROPs at much higher frequency/.

Shmunter

that One way to cope, 44% more pixels, and small FPS drops in one level, higher shadows etc, not a win...have mercy man
Categorically not a win, claiming it as such is simply being dishonest with others and yourself. If one is to use the game as a benchmark, the stress points are what divulge technical proficiency.

You may like the game sustaining adequate performance in the majority, and that’s fine - but tech comparison don’t care about your feelings.

Tech/science can only be attributed to like for like measures. Higher rez & lower performance vs Lower Rez & higher performance is the take away from Hitman 3.

I believe there is also a cutscene where both systems drop frames and XsX drops lower than PS5 - there’s your evidence. I’m not going to argue such obvious points anymore, it feels juvenile.

Like what you like, some feel completely at home with 30fps even. Who am I to say otherwise, but don’t try turning it into a certified outcome based on a personal viewpoint. Or do - whatever blows your hair back, but please let me laugh at it at the same time.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

No, you´ve seen a video that they told that it was running in PS5. In the past I can remember how killzone 2 and Anthem were amazing in the E3 but the final version was so different. Anyway, by the moment no any game is using a new next gen Engine.
conf-7.gif

Are you calling them liars?
Introducing “Lumen in the Land of Nanite,” a real-time demo running live on PlayStation 5
Are you wearing a tinfoil hat?

Fredrik

Never denied that PS5 has lower res and worse shadows. Of course it easier. Maybe also scaled back resolution or shadows on XSX would hold 60fps better. Hitman doesn't works clearly on XSX when it doesn't outperforming PS5 in every category.
Maybe?
You need to play some PC, scaling back the resolution can make a huge difference in performance, dropping the res and get an increased and more stable fps is not something you should use as a win if you’re comparing hardware.

This is Horizon Zero Dawn on PC at Ultimate Quality on a RTX 3090 - Pink line (84fps) is 4K average, white line(143fps) is 1080p average
o2S74Sg.jpg

Until console devs start giving us settings menus we won’t know how the two consoles stack up, there might also be other differences beside resolution which aren’t easy to spot. And even with a settings menu there can be code and optimization differences as well that affects the performance. It’s not just hardware vs hardware as it often seems like here.

Last edited:

Duchess

Okay, I'm confused now.

So, the PS5 is running at a locked 60fps but is actually rendering at a lower resolution?

And the XSX is between 55-60fps but running at a higher res?

Is that right?

(looks at 1080p TV, hoping for a locked 60fps this gen anyway)

Shmunter

Okay, I'm confused now.

So, the PS5 is running at a locked 60fps but is actually rendering at a lower resolution?

Is that right?

That’s Hitman 3 being bought up at nausea in every thread to combat PS5 tech wins. Even though it is hardly a win for XsX and a dream narrative.

This game here seemingly is like for like between both system but locked 60 on PS5 vs not on XsX.

Playing now, just hit the town square, 100% locked 60 here on PS5 and the environment seems quite dense in details....but the HDR is fugly as shit. Muddy as hell, putting the console onto sdr transforms it. Needs attention.

Last edited:

DJ12

Christ...

Thank you. I dont get why this is complicated.

Also, TIL that all BC games are identical for last gen, no matter which console. Seems to me some ppl are confusing next gen patches for last gen games vs next gen versions.
Going to love the meltdown when the proper next gen version drops.

Rumour had it ps5 version is better, but at least they will be able to console themselves with the fact its a cross gen game and doesn't use the xbox power correctly

assurdum

Banned
That now how things work. Clearly there different versions of the same game, since the Series version, has more cars, population density, better distance lighting, even visually in many places, the scenes are way better. compared to the same area on PS5. So the Series obviously has more headroom here. Since it be easier for devs to increase car density and population on PS5 with updates and has not happened.

Nxgamer even noticed changes after the updates lighting and graphic improvements on the Series, clearly missing on the PS5.

I not sure what the company can do to make it look much better, if the game suffering already. The game was started with last gen in mind, and take lot of work to rebuild the game to make run and look totally different.
The hell you are talking about. Even CD has said the next generation patch will be released later. This thing start to be pathetic, come on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So... “only a demo for a title not coming out in a long while” “ok, so coming out soon, but look at Hitman 3” “... and CyberPunk and other BC games”... I think I only miss “Control’s Photo Mode benchmark” for the anti-PS parade at this point. Anything but the game in question...

assurdum

Banned
Okay, I'm confused now.

Is that right?

Seems series X has some drops in the more taxing situation but nothing of really worrying. Said that it's utterly ridiculous use this game as evidence of something. Lot of bizzarre choices are made in different platforms during the porting imo. Though I'm not even enterily convinced BC is not involved in some way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom