• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Demo - PS5 and Series X graphics and performance comparison

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Thought he owned about 6 or 7 by now. No trophies but thats because none of them work.
He literally showed you his PSN and trophies.
Omfg really... I've had the Console just over a week outside of exchanges. Your unbelievable.

HEeokwU.jpg

Shmunter

But but Hitman 3...
Enough of the Hitman 3 shenanigans. I’m officially reclaiming it as a PS5 win because it’s simply better tuned and flawless on the console. It’s the only way to stop it being invoked in 5 years time. In summary, the score thus far....

Game Face Offs
XsX-0 PS5 - all of them

The dream must end for the sakes of all our sanity. 🤪

Last edited:
Okay, I'm confused now.

So, the PS5 is running at a locked 60fps but is actually rendering at a lower resolution?

And the XSX is between 55-60fps but running at a higher res?

Is that right?

(looks at 1080p TV, hoping for a locked 60fps this gen anyway)
No both have the same native 4K resolution. Don't let you confuse By Digital foundry cherry picking and shenanigans. Even in Hitman 3 PS5 was pushing more pixels when there were framerate drops on XSX.

Last edited:
Seems series X has some drops in the more taxing situation but nothing of really worrying. Said that it's utterly ridiculous use this game as evidence of something. Lot of bizzarre choices are made in different platforms during the porting imo. Though I'm not even enterily convinced BC is not involved in some way.

Yep, I agree.

pasterpl

Enough of the Hitman 3 shenanigans. I’m officially reclaiming it as a PS5 win because it’s simply better tuned and flawless on the console. It’s the only way to stop it being invoked in 5 years time. In summary, the score thus far....

Game Face Offs
XsX-0 PS5 - all of them

The dream must end for the sakes of all our sanity. 🤪

you have to be trolling at this stage

Elios83

Variable 9 TF
Sony caught off the guard
There will be always a difference
599 weaker hardware
1080p 60 FPS struggle on PS5 but 4k 60 FPS on X

Wait for the tools

"Last minute overclock means melting consoles sounding like jet engines!!"
Oh wait that didn't happen?
"It's still going to happen, but now when you upgrade your SSD!!"

Btw these threads have become boring, it's always the same story, the consoles are the performing the same. Clinging to 1-2 fps advantages is ridiculous regardless of who has the micro advantage.
Here the only story is that those that last year expected a PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X situation or even bigger gaps with ray tracing involved were sorely and hugely disappointed.
The two consoles perform the same for all pratical purposes and no one in the real world is going to prefer one over the other because of how the games run on them technically.
And that's pretty much the reality of things until the mid-gen refreshes, if they happen.

Last edited:

martino

One scene, that last seconds, that can be patched and fixed. You ignore the hours of gameplay thats a perfect 4k native 60fps locked. You think Hitman better running on PS5 at lower resolution, because the few seconds, not dropping on that console. Its delusional thinking my friend!

Mandalorian-This-Is-The-Way-Quote.jpg

to claim a win in comparison thread this gen
in this case poeple needing the win or annoyed by it are sad imo.

Schmick

It seems like a fairly obvious thing but it appears many on here need to be reminded… this is a cross gen game released simultaneously on multiple different platforms. The game was designed to run on shitty Jaguar CPU cores and mechanical HDDs. Nobody on this forum has any idea the extent next gen hardware/software features are being utilised on Series/PS5. Thus the conclusion of which is the stronger machine is moot, regardless of which machine pulls ahead in this particular game. Yes, console X can play non next gen game A better than console Y. Fantastic. But what does it really mean when we aren’t seeing the full extent of what these machines can do. We aren’t seeing engines designed to fully utilise the IO, Geometry engine and blazing speed of the PS5. Nor are we seeing use of Series X features like SFS, VRS, Mesh shaders and the raw power of the Series X.

For the record this game is releasing on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, One S, One X, Series S, Series X, PC, Stadia. On pc it is releasing on epic games store and steam and also supports nvidia RTX features. Does anyone really believe that each version is pushing the respective system to the max? The developer most likely isn’t even interested in that sort of thing and is simply shooting for parity where possible. Who the fuck knows? This thread is pretty sad indeed when people are arguing best versions of back compat CyberPunk that doesn’t even have a full next gen console release.
Yes but a win is a win is a win is a win blah blah blah.....

FranXico

Who cares about demos? All that matters is photo mode!

In fact, the only game worth playing this gen is Hitman 3. IOI are the only developers in the world who are not lazy.
In fact, I'm going to go out and buy an Xbox Series S (buy yours now! with GamePass - best deal in gaming!) and Hitman 3 just to support them in making better Xbox ports, but make sure to play it through GamePass ASAP.

Get The Facts, fellow gamers!

I need to ask: what exactly is your purpose in this thread? Because outside warring, I can't see a single post with a serious argumentation. Wasn't better to stay out? Just to say.
The purpose was in my first post. The other posts are mostly countering sony boi delusions and farming reactions. I got ten or so from Bo alone :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just enjoy the absurdity of people celebrating another 0.1% win for their preferred toy.

assurdum

Banned
Hitman 3 was a huge win with 44% more resolution. The typical PS5 win is below 1% and gets regularly celebrated with 20 page threads here.
You should ask to you why it's happened just in this game before celebrate it. Because if it's absurd to celebrate a 0,1% of difference, it's not like celebrate the same game every single time is less absurd.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Categorically not a win, claiming it as such is simply being dishonest with others and yourself. If one is to use the game as a benchmark, the stress points are what divulge technical proficiency.

You may like the game sustaining adequate performance in the majority, and that’s fine - but tech comparison don’t care about your feelings.

Tech/science can only be attributed to like for like measures. Higher rez & lower performance vs Lower Rez & higher performance is the take away from Hitman 3.

I believe there is also a cutscene where both systems drop frames and XsX drops lower than PS5 - there’s your evidence. I’m not going to argue such obvious points anymore, it feels juvenile.

Like what you like, some feel completely at home with 30fps even. Who am I to say otherwise, but don’t try turning it into a certified outcome based on a personal viewpoint. Or do - whatever blows your hair back, but please let me laugh at it at the same time.

kinda funny how when DF did the test they said it ran best on xbox? hitman that is but you constantly disagree

Zoro7

Banned
Variable 9 TF
Sony caught off the guard
There will be always a difference
599 weaker hardware
1080p 60 FPS struggle on PS5 but 4k 60 FPS on X

Wait for the tools
Don’t forget about expandable storage and how they have to crank up the fans or it’ll overheat.

kinda funny how when DF did the test they said it ran best on xbox? hitman that is but you constantly disagree
This is their opinion on the overall situation, even if you agree with it (you could) it doesn't say anything about the relative performance of each system. All they said was that they prefer native 4k with drops over locked 60fps at 1800p... Which I was surprised of given their history.

longdi

Banned
IF alpha THEN drops frames. As with Mendoza's Hitman 3 mission, XSX has a "problem" with scenes with a large number of alpha effects (with a large image area coverage). Fog, smoke, grass, trees, flowers therefore kills XSX. Relative lack of fillrate compared to more powerful PS5 / ROPs at much higher frequency/.

That's not fully right.
SX uses the newer updated rdna2 rop with 2x the efficiency of ps5 older rop. besides SX fillrates are always sustained no matter the engine, while ps5 rops are continuous variable boosting.

assurdum

Banned
This is their opinion on the overall situation, even if you agree with it (you could) it doesn't say anything about the relative performance of each system. All they said was that they prefer native 4k with drops over locked 60fps at 1800p... Which I was surprised of given their history.
Not all all. Previous Hitman was native 4k on one X but FPS issues where everywhere. They are not new to prefer higher resolution over perfomance on Xbox hardware

assurdum

Banned
That's not fully right.
SX uses the newer updated rdna2 rop with 2x the efficiency of ps5 older rop. besides SX fillrates are always sustained no matter the engine, while ps5 rops are continuous variable boosting.
You can't be serious. Please tell me is a joke.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's not fully right.
PS5 has higher fillrate, both consoles fill 64 Pixels/clock, one console has higher clock rate than the other. Period. You can debate about memory bandwidth and fillrate relationship sure, but ... mmmh are you trying to stir shit up here?

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
PS5 has higher fillrate, both consoles fill 64 Pixels/clock, one console has higher clock rate than the other. Period. You can debate about memory bandwidth and fillrate relationship sure, but ... mmmh are you trying to stir shit up here?
PS5 has higher fillrate (till 22%) yes but not sustained with the same difference. But SX has a higher Texel Rate and higher memory bandwitch. And also if you are thinking in the limit of 10GB of memory, first it´s not a limit, even it isn´t in PC and less with SFS.

For me both systems perform very similar like we are seeing. Maybe in the exclusives we will see differences but really I don´t think so because the level of graphics now is so high that will be very difficult see differences.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The reason was simple, PlayStation has a VR requirement, Xbox does not. Hence they are required to push more frames.
Funny that this is brought up. Because in speculation threads there were rumors that the PS5 had VR tech built in, now we see there's no need for a break out box/only using one wire for VR.

One of the speculation points was would this have a benefit for non VR games. It could just be as simple as what you say.

And would be hilarious with the Next Gen Framerates ™️ marketing from MS.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"Last minute overclock means melting consoles sounding like jet engines!!"
Oh wait that didn't happen?
"It's still going to happen, but now when you upgrade your SSD!!"

Btw these threads have become boring, it's always the same story, the consoles are the performing the same. Clinging to 1-2 fps advantages is ridiculous regardless of who has the micro advantage.
Here the only story is that those that last year expected a PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X situation or even bigger gaps with ray tracing involved were sorely and hugely disappointed.
The two consoles perform the same for all pratical purposes and no one in the real world is going to prefer one over the other because of how the games run on them technically.
And that's pretty much the reality of things until the mid-gen refreshes, if they happen.

Exactly. As insufferable as some Xbox folks, fanboys have been ever since the speculation rumors, leaks, official reveals.....I am enjoying this. So very much.

It got so bad after reality hit for numerous things....they felt the need to leave en mass and go to Xbox specific sites, lol. Never to be seen again.

"dont dish it if you can't take it"

Last edited:

Shmunter

I don't understand why to choose a lower resolution scaling on XSX if the performance can't keep up... Very weird situation, is there a microsoft mandate or something..
Bizarely some Xbox fans defend tooth and nail resolution over performance. I guess devs are catering to their preference. Yeah, it’s crazy, but what you going to do.

Top Bottom