• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders Demo - PS5 and Series X graphics and performance comparison

Concern

CmDXGvb.png

hqdefault.jpg

FRAME-RATE IS KING!

Lowest resolution once again for 4 - 5 fps difference. They keep dropping res and removing things for a couple of fps. Makes you wonder why we're seeing so many 1800p Ps5 versions lately. Ps5 pro will be out sooner than we think.

Again, a massive FPS hit for pretty minor resolution advantage!
In raw numbers it isnt very massive difference in FPS only matters because one is locked 60 and the other isn't. For instance if one was running at 64.5 FPS and the other at 61 FPS it would be very minor. This is with the caveat that when PS5 is locked at 60 it should be running at an even higher frame rate to maintain the 60 lock.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Again, a massive FPS hit for pretty minor resolution advantage!
And it’s reconstructed to 4k. This is how it needs to be done. If devs are sacrificing performance for native pixel counts it’s simple a lack of proper priority and polish on their part.

Waiting for the inevitable XsX wins this one. 🤪

I’m however beginning to see a pattern and suspect that lowering the rez on XsX does not reclaim enough frames so they may as well leave it higher. It’s similar to One X, the bottleneck is somewhere along the pipeline but it’s not necessarily the GPU.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Lowest resolution once again for 4 - 5 fps difference. They keep dropping res and removing things for a couple of fps. Makes you wonder why we're seeing so many 1800p Ps5 versions lately. Ps5 pro will be out sooner than we think.
By that logic, Xbox Series xXx will be out sooner than we think because of how often we're seeing unstable frame-rates on Series X. PS5 has improved texture filter & frame-rate.

Last edited:
Avg is actually only like 3.5. its significant if the FPS was sacrificed for a minor res bump at the cost of a lock 60FPS experience. I personally will take 1800p 60locked over 4kish 60ish anyday.

Duchess

It was amusing to see the frame rates for the cutscenes jumping between 29 and 31 in some places. That could be due to rounding issues in the analysis software?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS5 has higher fillrate (till 22%) yes but not sustained with the same difference. But SX has a higher Texel Rate and higher memory bandwitch. And also if you are thinking in the limit of 10GB of memory, first it´s not a limit, even it isn´t in PC and less with SFS.

For me both systems perform very similar like we are seeing. Maybe in the exclusives we will see differences but really I don´t think so because the level of graphics now is so high that will be very difficult see differences.

You are putting way too much emphasis and hope on the sustained vs variable, but still it is not a bad thing for PS5 is they can comfortably beat XSS while being similar in price
PS5 has higher fillrate (till 22%) yes but not sustained with the same difference. But SX has a higher Texel Rate and higher memory bandwitch. And also if you are thinking in the limit of 10GB of memory, first it´s not a limit, even it isn´t in PC and less with SFS.

For me both systems perform very similar like we are seeing. Maybe in the exclusives we will see differences but really I don´t think so because the level of graphics now is so high that will be very difficult see differences.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the variable clocks there IMHO with that “sustained” bit there. Sure, it has more texture units as they come with each CU, the more CU’s the more texture units. Albeit we are also dealing with the same possibly higher latency with more CU’s stressing the same Shader Array cache.

Both systems are well designed and customised, but you are seeing the blowback of a PR and fan strategy focused on performance dominance above all else and in that scenario the consoles being neck and neck does not work in that console’s favour.

Lysandros

Again, i am really baffled by these developer choices, in this case there is up to 30% resolution difference for around 10-15% of performance difference. Without knowing how this specific engine's performance scale with resolution, we can not say which console outperforms the other in absolute terms (not talking only fps) for sure.

Shmunter

Avg is actually only like 3.5. its significant if the FPS was sacrificed for a minor res bump at the cost of a lock 60FPS experience. I personally will take 1800p 60locked over 4kish 60ish anyday.
The only way they can extract that it’s not 4k is by analysing a sharp scene transition where the reconstruction hasn’t got a prior frame to build upon. During gameplay even with a magnifying glass a human wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two.

The original comparison vid in this thread considered both native 4k for a reason.

pasterpl

Bizarely some Xbox fans defend tooth and nail resolution over performance. I guess devs are catering to their preference. Yeah, it’s crazy, but what you going to do.

amazing how some Sony fans defend 1-3% FPS drops over double digits % higher resolution, key is that, the xbsex version is not 30fps, on average its fps count is only 5% lower than ps5 version, this means that it hits 60fps most of the time just like ps5 with some minor drops that are rare. But for some unknown reason sony fans are fixating on these (actually) rather small differences and not notice rather big resolution gap that we are starting to witness. It actually might be becoming a trend, with xbsex offering higher res, better image quality, better effects at 1-3% FPS (occasional hit) vs ps5

Shmunter

amazing how some Sony fans defend 1-3% FPS drops over double digits % higher resolution, key is that, the xbsex version is not 30fps, on average its fps count is only 5% lower than ps5 version, this means that it hits 60fps most of the time just like ps5 with some minor drops that are rare. But for some unknown reason sony fans are fixating on these (actually) rather small differences and not notice rather big resolution gap that we are starting to witness. It actually might be becoming a trend, with xbsex offering higher res, better image quality, better effects at 1-3% FPS (occasional hit) vs ps5
Did you watch the video? The XsX version is perpetually in the 50’s. Ok on VRR, a complete juddery shit show for everyone else. Common man, this is embarrassing.

Edit: just have to say, hope the game gets a patch on XsX to fix this. But it is what it is today.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Lol so much for all this warring, higher resolution on XSX, more stable framerate on PS5. Pick your poison! Or play on PC 🥳

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The chart also says better texture filtering on PS5.

Just saying.

The fps chart is interesting too. The lowest fps...

Still, I think higher res was always expected for XSX. The PS5 doing as well as it has wasnt.

pasterpl

Did you watch the video? The XsX version is perpetually in the 50’s. Ok on VRR, a complete juddery shit show for everyone else. Common man, this is embarrassing.

Edit: just have to say, hope the game gets a patch on XsX to fix this. But it is what it is today.

yeah, I have looked at the video, but I have also looked at the data they have shared and the averages they have got there, not picking up single scenes but the overall analysis outcome

For your reference
The breakdown:

ps5vsxsxoutridersvgtech.png

Shmunter

Just had a thought on the comparison, I wonder if PS5 has got new checkerboard or other upscale hardware.

Hear me out; perhaps PS5 can upscale practically free from a lower rez using the hardware. XsX does not have this Sony specific solution and needs to start at a higher native count to do economic reconstruction.

Hence the devs getting sandwiched between a performance tier and higher rez on XsX.

Sony has had reconstruction hardware since the pro with the stencil buffer and checkerboarding. No reason to not think a newer iteration isn’t present in PS5.

Last edited:

jroc74

That data is directly from the shown footage. Watch it again and come back on that one.
"perpetually in the 50's"

User posts chart that shows exactly that, and basically disagrees....

lol.

This and the lowest fps. fps shouldnt even be disputed for this.

skneogaf

Surely it's easier to get the xbox series x version to 60fps than the ps5 version to native 4k?

I would not be happif I owned either console god this game as it looks like it should be hitting native 4k@60fps as it doesn't scream graphical monster.

jroc74

Surely it's easier to get the xbox series x version to 60fps than the ps5 version to native 4k?

I would not be happif I owned either console god this game as it looks like it should be hitting native 4k@60fps as it doesn't scream graphical monster.
You could be right. And they should.

But then whats the big difference between the 2 if they did? AFAIK, the tf difference should translate into resolution differences.

Something else I just noticed...seems like the Series S is pushing the XSX. What a time to be alive.

Mr Moose

what?

SX pushes 32% more pixels but hover at 90% of ps5 fps.
It's dynamic.
-
I think this is the biggest fps difference we've seen, but it's a demo and a game most probably won't play.
They should adjust the dynamic res scaler on the Xbox consoles if they can't sort it out another way, because it's constantly dropping.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's dynamic.
-
I think this is the biggest fps difference we've seen, but it's a demo and a game most probably won't play.
They should adjust the dynamic res scaler on the Xbox consoles if they can't sort it out another way, because it's constantly dropping.

Not really, ACV PS5 has the highest resolution and the better FPS, same with Fenyx and some other games. Also it's 46% FPS advantage on Hitman 3.

Last edited:

I don't understand the SeX.
Because it's stronger it should be able to keep BOTH the resolution and framerate. Any less powerful machine can push more pixels sacrificing frames, the SeX is more powerful exactly to not do this.
But this is just a demo, let's wait.

Last edited:
People seem to be leaving out the resolution

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3456x1944 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2261x1272.
PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3008x1692 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2112x1188.

Higher resolution explains lower FPS. Seems like both versions need some tweaking before release, honestly.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Believe me, you will notice more fluctuant 60 FPS Vs practically locked on ps5, than to have dynamic with higher resolution. Very bizzarre choice by the developers.

Last edited:
I don't understand the SeX.
Because it's stronger it should be able to keep BOTH the resolution and framerate. Any less powerful machine can push more pixels sacrificing frames, the SeX is more powerful exactly to not do this.
But this is just a demo, let's wait.
Just do some simple math. The XSX is pushing 30% more pixels while running something like 5-10% slower. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect when you compare a 12 TF to a 10 TF console.

Mr Moose

Just do some simple math. The XSX is pushing 30% more pixels while running something like 5-10% slower. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect when you compare a 12 TF to a 10 TF console.
sWsCp1p.jpeg

It's dynamic, that's the highest res, and I doubt it gets there very often since it's dropping frames a lot. They should probably adjust the scaler.
Anyway, no one cares about this game. It looks average.

Old Empire.

People seem to be leaving out the resolution

Higher resolution explains lower FPS. Seems like both versions need some tweaking before release, honestly.
It’s a tryout demo. I think people, would be right in saying- why run this at higher resolution, when the version on Xbox drops 3 to 5 frames more in the scenes shown. Devs can’t fix the drops, then change the resolution, to remedy it.

PlayStation fans are completely delusional about Hitman. One scene in the game, plunged below 60. Rest of the game a locked 60fps They keep pretending the PS5 version better though at lower resolution of 1800p. When the Xbox version 4k native.

Last edited:
Top Bottom