• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old games that take you back in time

As I play certain older games, I can reframe my mind to a degree to take myself back in that point in time when the game was new, fresh. This sensation is wonderful because I can appreciate where the game tried to innovate.

I get this particular "next gen" feeling from the original Devil May Cry on the PS2. In many ways, from the amazing atmosphere, rendered in a 60fps 3D engine, to the music, the gameplay, the overall style of the game, it feels so timeless. It feels like what a next gen Resident Evil game would've felt like on the PS2 for the time the game released, in 2001. You might be familiar with the story on how it actually was meant to be an RE game, the first version of RE4, but then got changed to it's own thing because it strayed too far from series roots. That RE feeling is still very present in the final product, which as an RE fan, I can get behind.

So GAF, do you have any older games like this? Are there older games in which you can fire up and it transports you back to the era it was released in, and thus still feels as fresh and innovative and most importantly, as fun as it was when it initially released?

PanzerAzel

Mario 64 is one that brings back the best memories. I remember just being awestruck by Mario’s 3D face and game world. First time I’d ever seen something that constituted such a leap that was so well executed and polished.

Super Metroid as well. First game that felt like more of an experience than a game, mostly all due to its music. I credit that game with solidifying my interest in the hobby for life.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
tumblr_nvinqibe9C1qc7efmo1_540.gifv

Mr Hyde

Final Fantasy VII does this everytime for me. When I boot it up I'm immediately back to 1997. A magical journey that showed me what games could really be.

The cutting edge graphics, the epic story, the intense boss encounters, Nobou Uematsus wonderful score.

The opening sequence is still giving me goosebumps. Aeris big green eyes in a sea of stars. The zoomed out shot of Midgar. The train that is carrying the heroes. The adrenaline that kicks in during the bombing mission are sending shivers through my spine. The stakes are real at the very get go.

The first time I played it, I actually thought that the entire game took place in Midgar. Little did I realize what an epic journey I was about to embark on.

Final Fantasy VII will always hold a special place in my heart. It was THE game for me over many, many years. I compared everything to it and no one could match the sheer scope and size of it, the quality or the beauty.

I will always love this game and it will always be 1997 everytime I play it. It defined that entire era of gaming and paved the success of Japanese roleplaying games in the west, particularly in the EU.

TexMex

Mario 64 probably gives me the most vivid flashbulb memories.

Also: Moonwalker on Genesis, A Boy and His Blob on NES, and the original Kirbys Dreamland.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I don't even have to play it for it to bring me back. This is the first game I remember playing... I was probably 2 or 3. It was this and some sort of parachute game that came with MAC 2's, which I'm forgetting the name of.

Ahh... my siblings and I would roam the countryside for hours in this game, of course we would take turns every couple of in-game turns. It was on my Dad's work computer, so I definitely have him to thank... really for introducing me to games. Thanks Dad...

And oh... the game is the Oregon Trail 🤓

oregon-trail-dysentery_5.jpg

Any of the older square enix games from before final fantasy X-2. I like the newer ones as well, but there is no comparing the quality of the older ones to these new ones that feel like they have lost a good portion of their soul. Not just the FF series either, but all square rpgs.

Belmonte

If the game had great graphics when it was released, I can put in the context of its time and be impressed. All of them. FFVII/VIII/IX, Virtua Fighter, Front Mission 2/3, Tekken 3, Batman NES, Donkey Kong Country series, most PC98 games...

It is like seeing a very well made ancient sword/lance. Yeah, we have machine guns today, but it is hard to not respect something which was so deadly in the past.

sublimit

Banned
Tomb Raider 2
2rp6w8.gif

That game was my real "baptism of fire" back in early 1998 and although i had played a lot of games before on Arcades and on my best friend's Amiga500, Tomb Raider 2 blew my mind like nothing i had experienced before. It opened up my imagination with all the possibilities with what a video game could do where you could explore and traverse fully 3D environments. It felt as if the sky was the limit back then. The incredible level designs,the precise and satisfying platforming,the puzzles,the atmosphere and the memorable music they all hooked me like no other game did before that.Those were all qualities that can still be appreciated today but no modern game can give me the same fix as the classic TR games did mostly thanks to its Grid system and the precise platforming that was based on it. Sadly everything is automatic today and gamers have zero patience for learning curves.
And every time i replay TR2 i experience that sensation all over again,especially when playing the first level and the Venice levels.

Last edited:

Kazza

If the game had great graphics when it was released, I can put in the context of its time and be impressed. All of them. FFVII/VIII/IX, Virtua Fighter, Front Mission 2/3, Tekken 3, Batman NES, Donkey Kong Country series, most PC98 games...

It is like seeing a very well made ancient sword/lance. Yeah, we have machine guns today, but it is hard to not respect something which was so deadly in the past.

Me too. I recently played Revenge of Shinobi on the Megadrive Mini, and my mind just instantly went back to 1989. The big sprites, the music, the parallax scrolling, the way the sky turns from evening to nighttime in the first level - it still feels "next gen" when playing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ROMhack

Games like RE and Parasite Eve, for sure. I don't even like them much but they remind me of time in culture - particularly Japanese culture - where media looked at the underlying dark qualities of society. It's expanded in the film work of Kiyoshi Kurosawa and the books of Ryu (not Haruki) Murakami from around the same period.

The nearest western equivalent is probably during the 90s too but with point and clicks. Thatt was a time when to tell a story you had to keep it clean and straight. It wasn't like a blockbuster film, which is largely the star those same story-driven games orbit around these days.

Saber

Gold Member
Kenseiden.

I remember playing as a cub. Dying a lot and the learning process only make me way more stronger to deal with other Master System titles. Mastered this game and beat it countless times.

Still plays this game quite often nowadays.

Last edited:
I don't even have to play it for it to bring me back. This is the first game I remember playing... I was probably 2 or 3. It was this and some sort of parachute game that came with MAC 2's, which I'm forgetting the name of.

Ahh... my siblings and I would roam the countryside for hours in this game, of course we would take turns every couple of in-game turns. It was on my Dad's work computer, so I definitely have him to thank... really for introducing me to games. Thanks Dad...

And oh... the game is the Oregon Trail 🤓

If you have nostalgia for The Oregon Trail you should try Curious Expedition. It captures much of the spirit of that with more depth. Really fun game.

Tomb Raider 2
2rp6w8.gif

That game was my real "baptism of fire" back in early 1998 and although i had played a lot of games before on Arcades and on my best friend's Amiga500, Tomb Raider 2 blew my mind like nothing i had experienced before. It opened up my imagination with all the possibilities with what a video game could do where you could explore and traverse fully 3D environments. It felt as if the sky was the limit back then. The incredible level designs,the precise and satisfying platforming,the puzzles,the atmosphere and the memorable music they all hooked me like no other game did before that.Those were all qualities that can still be appreciated today but no modern game can give me the same fix as the classic TR games did mostly thanks to its Grid system and the precise platforming that was based on it. Sadly everything is automatic today and gamers have zero patience for learning curves.
And every time i replay TR2 i experience that sensation all over again,especially when playing the first level and the Venice levels.

I'm one of those weirdos who still thinks those Core developed Tomb Raiders are fantastic *today*, and better than the modern incarnation of the series by a mile.

Last edited:
In addition to my earlier post in this topic, there were a handful of non square rpgs that take me back as well
Suikoden 1 and 2
Lunar SSSC and Lunar EBC are a few others. Still waiting for a Skies of Arcadia hd port and a Xenosaga trilogy remaster because these games look so bad on these new modern flat tv's. If I still had one of those older style tv's, then they would not look so stretched and blurry.

YukiOnna

Donkey Kong 64, Persona 3, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Megaman Zero and Battle Network series to name a few.

Unfortunately, when it comes to old PS1/PS2 RPG's I did not get to experience them till much later due to my parents banning the buying of a lot of games. So for me, it was high replay value of the ones I had.

Pejo

Link to the Past. Ha, there's even a pun in there. It's just perfect Zelda gaming in my opinion.

Also Castlevania 3. Despite it being kinda tough, I find it to be one of the most replayable games from NES days, due to the branching paths and different characters.

Fuz

Banned
Any C=64 game
The Secret of Monkey Island
The Chaos Engine
Double Dragon
Turrican
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Actraiser
Street Fighter 1
Black Tiger
Final Fight
A Link to the Past

I'll stop here but I've got a pretty long list of games that makes me feel like that.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy X's Starting cut-scene does this for me. One of the best PS2 experiences I ever had at the time growing up.

Pokemon Yellow is another where I get strong nostalgia, bringing it home after a deal at Dixons (and begged my mum to buy it for me).

Cactuarman

Banned
I think atmosphere and music plays a huge part for me. The atmosphere of Secret of Evermore was so potent to me as a kid it I can pretty vividly remember most that game. It definitely transports me back.

secret-of-evermore-boss.png

StarTropics:
GKviFvnyejx9kbWTQQZEbip89uXAzAn0j5FBb5Z3e_cF4p05QD-qSkNDbGK_ajqyCZ8AqB1yx1uYI2RYBgGNB_1anlvyWJ-1HcH04KAS-54VvIr5

7th Guest:
ruPZ0YLmn411c-SyJ3toTPALChIzmtRX_jft2Lg1_i_f9jPsd5EuVM0YXmCOWKrhuA=w412-h220-rw

Myst & Riven:
main-riven.jpg

ActRaiser:
actraiser-4-640x474.jpg

Bigger games in my life - like Doom for instance - that I've replayed a lot have lost a bit of that childhood association I think.

Edit: fixed an image

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
For me it’s a little bit different, as the games that I played most I still enjoy now. The memories of when I played them are weeks ago.

The ones that conjure up stronger memories are the ones I’m not still playing.

Resident Evil (PS1), particularly the basement theme. Before Dual Shock existed, of course.

Croc, the game I got with my PlayStation. The memory of opening that Christmas present is a fond one, only strengthened by the financial context I learned of as an adult.

There’s also a few games I used to play while listening to CDs when I got a stereo, so there’s a double sided association that some CDs/tracks and games have for me. I think of a particular stage in Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven when I listen to Busta Rhymes - Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check.

nkarafo

Bubble Bobble arcade.

Brings back memories of going to the arcades as a kid, my personal heaven. Bubble Bobble was one of the games that was never replaced for many years and also one of the few games that had it's volume high enough to listen to the music. So every time i hear it it brings me back.

UnNamed

Banned
When graphics was so poor your imagination and emotions were part of the experience. When computers were so abstracts you felt you discovered something new every day just typing 10 print "hello".

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Still a great game and the second one too.
Bubble Bobble arcade.

Brings back memories of going to the arcades as a kid, my personal heaven. Bubble Bobble was one of the games that was never replaced for many years and also one of the few games that had it's volume high enough to listen to the music. So every time i hear it it brings me back.

Last edited:

laynelane

I recently picked up Final Fantasy 8 Remastered. I started it up and immediately remembered how I played the original release so much that I hurt my hands/arms and woke up a few times with my fingers pushing controller buttons because I even dreamed about it. At the time, it was unlike anything I'd ever played before. It was fascinating, fun, and challenging. I felt that way again with the remaster, but I'm not letting myself get carried away this time around...hopefully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom