• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

on PC, everything's a remaster!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
One of the things i appreciate most about gaming on PC is the fact you can load up any older game, install a couple of mods, and then be playing as if the game got remastered for a 2023 release. PC is the best for older releases, you can buy a game from 1999 running at 4:3, 30fps, 0 controller support, and then within a matter of hours turn it into an experience fit for the 21st century.

I did recently get into Morrowind like in my previous thread, and am playing it for the first time with OpenMW. The game feels smooth, controls smooth, and runs smooth, at 16:10 perfect for the Steam Deck aspect ratio. If it were a backwards compatible game on Nintendo, Sony or even Xbox (most of the time) it'd still be running at 4:3 with the same control scheme and 30fps.

So easy to just make an experience from the past more fun these days. And since a lot of these early 2000s/late 90s games are on PC there's no need to ask for ports of older games or remasters too, you remaster them yourself. Truly the best way to experience gaming's history!

Last edited:
One of the things i appreciate most about gaming on PC is the fact you can load up any older game, install a couple of mods, and then be playing as if the game got remastered for a 2023 release. PC is the best for older releases, you can buy a game from 1999 running at 4:3, 30fps, 0 controller support, and then within a matter of hours turn it into an experience fit for the 21st century.

Not to mention you can use mods if something is censored. You can just use a decensor mod on PC if any fan modders make a Uncensored mod/patch

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Another example of this is with the GTA 6th gen trilogy. I downloaded a mod for it that basically remasters every aspect about the game and leaves them looking absolutely phenomenal, infinitely better than the official remaster from Rockstar. This kind of stuff can make even the oldest games look like a technical marvel.

It's an aspect that I never take for granted, especially since when i first got into GTA with GTAV and GTAIV, i was disappointed that the original PS2 trilogy were not on 360/PS3 storefronts as an HD remaster.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Always what pissed me off about consoles and their utter contempt for game preservation.

Most of the PS3's classics aren't even playable without a PS3. I still got my old one but it's at my brother's house across the city. I still got: Killzone 2-3, Resistance trilogy, inFAMOUS duology, R&C Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, God of War Collection, and a few others I can't remember but almost none of those are playable on PS4 or PS5. Sony doesn't care that all these games are on a dead platform. I tried PSNow but the latency at the time was too shit to deal with. Plus I was paying to play a bunch of games I already owned. The only other avenue is emulation but RPCS3 is far from perfect.

At least Nintendo has their e-shop but even that is lackluster.

Last edited:

Holammer

Best of all, you can improve console games too.

FbuAsjR.jpg

Gaiff

It's just resolution and fps. I am kinda past caring for that...
Good to have but kinda who cares.

I mean of course you can do that. What good would that hardware be fore otherwise. PC is the ultimate platform if you care for that
No, it isn't just resolution and fps. It's the ability to play games from as far as time goes back. How many PS3 games are unavailable without having a PS3? How many N64 or GC games? The resolution and fps is just a bonus. You also get mods for the more popular games to enhance the UI, controls, and other stuff.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, it isn't just resolution and fps. It's the ability to play games from as far as time goes back. How many PS3 games are unavailable without having a PS3? How many N64 or GC games? The resolution and fps is just a bonus. You also get mods for the more popular games to enhance the UI, controls, and other stuff.
I am not saying that because it's obvious duh.
I don't understand the point of this thread.

Gaiff

I am not saying that because it's obvious duh.
I don't understand the point of this thread.
Highlighting one of the best things about PC gaming. 9/10, people who don't game on PC reduce it to "lol, frame rates, who cares," when it's just one aspect that is great about PC gaming. PC's greatest strength is its flexibility and one of the best things about that fact is that it's a never-ending platform.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Highlighting one of the best things about PC gaming. 9/10, people who don't game on PC reduce it to "lol, frame rates, who cares," when it's just one aspect that is great about PC gaming. PC's greatest strength is its flexibility and one of the best things about that fact is that it's a never-ending platform.
I don't think there is a single person in the world that thinks you can't play old games on pc.
wtf are you talking about.

Another nice thing about PC is that when games release broken, as is tradition, you can rest easy knowing that if you just wait a year the game will be down to $20 and will have been fully patched and improved by a small group of people who live entirely off pizza, candy and alcohol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lots of reasons why pc gaming is good, console gamers cheer them on hoping those features will be involved in next gen consoles.
Judge Joe Brown GIF

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
OpenMW on Steam Deck runs like a dream. Took me a while to get the controls right but portable Morrowind is so amazing.

Denton

I still got: Killzone 2-3, Resistance trilogy, inFAMOUS duology, R&C Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, God of War Collection
I know Sony's porting studios are probably busy atm porting more modern stuff, but I hope eventually all the notable PS3 games will get ported to PC if only so they can be preserved and played forever. And obviously Sony could still make money off them that way.

Good to have but kinda who cares.
This. People are not understanding remasters properly.

A good remaster of a video game is more than just a resolution and fps bump. If it were just that, the same people here would be calling that type of remaster a 'lazy port job'.

PC versions would require modders to do months or years of work for something like this:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

A good remaster of a video game is more than just a resolution and fps bump. If it were just that, the same people here would be calling that type of remaster a 'lazy port job'.

PC versions would require modders to do months or years of work for something like this:

If the original art is good, res and fps will be great upgrade.
I like to experience the games in their original forms too.
But I am the only person who have 0 issues with all the remasters and remakes. bring em on

Crayon

Amen. I tried the surge on the ps sub and an hour in when I decided I wanted to play it, I bought it on steam just to cut down the load screens. (it was cheap)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

In FFVIII the biggest bump is resolution though. Or at least the result wouldn't seem nearly as significant if the original wasn't shown at the original PlayStation resolution so that only the new textures (also shown unfiltered in the original as they were) remained as real improvements. That's why most official comparisons use a low resolution, to make a larger impact, proving that's actually a big part of what makes them look better. As for Metroid Prime, that's an outlier since it basically is an 1:1 remake (not reimagining) somehow marketed as a remaster, it's doing the same thing as Demon's Souls on PS5 on a lower end platform. Way to argue against your own point by having to use these two particular examples to make it to begin with though. Besides that there are plenty games that weren't originally on such a spec starved platform that are indeed basically remastered when you play them in high resolution and/or fps since the original resolution (or rather the resolution most people could run them on release day when we're talking PC games) actually hid detail that was there already or only visible when assets were seen very close up to take up enough pixels to show their full glory (like many PS2 games look great on PCSX2 where the official remasters only altered little bits of content, not everything and not always to be better anyway, often without the same vision or even automatically upscaled with AI which you can do with mods too in many cases). Not to mention the example game in the OP is Morrowind which obviously has far more extensive upgrade work available for it than any official remaster but it's also all optional as mods so every player can experience it as they see fit. You can even play it in full VR with hand controls nowadays.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
To a certain extent. It’s more just running a game on the highest settings. Not really anything different unless you game exclusively on nvidia xx60 cards year to year.

Last edited:

yeah but eh, while i prefer remasters from the original dev/publisher, there are times where mods do that and more.
some modders go to crazy lengths redoing basically all textures, lighting, updated models (including geometry), etc etc

but honestly, playing an old ass game at like 32x the original resolution + increased color depth + better performance can feel like a remaster by itself.
4k is ~150x the ps1's lowest resolution. that's crazy.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Another nice thing about PC is that when games release broken, as is tradition, you can rest easy knowing that if you just wait a year the game will be down to $20 and will have been fully patched and improved by a small group of people who live entirely off pizza, candy and alcohol.
Thats a gaming thing not just a PC thing, unless you mean broken games that are abandoned by their developers which is understandable
A good remaster of a video game is more than just a resolution and fps bump.
Well yeah. Hence why i also mentioned mods which can give Qol gameplay improvements as well as improved textures, lighting and models

Larxia

What do you mean, I always see you talking about 4K all the time, to me you're that "4K Guy" on neogaf lol

But yes, it's one of the best thing about PC, games aren't temporary like on console. Even for older console exclusives you can go with emulation and boost resolution and sometimes framerate too.
Having to purchase a game again just to change a graphic setting is absurd.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What do you mean, I always see you talking about 4K all the time, to me you're that "4K Guy" on neogaf lol

But yes, it's one of the best thing about PC, games aren't temporary like on console. Even for older console exclusives you can go with emulation and boost resolution and sometimes framerate too.
Having to purchase a game again just to change a graphic setting is absurd.
rofif rofif what about your C1 it’s 4K no?
yeah yeah it's 4k.

Always when I can, I play quality modes or 40fps modes if 30fps modes are laggy trash.
On pc, I always do DLSS quality or native.
I love good image quality.

But at the end of the day, it's just nice thing to have. A game is still a game right?
The differences now are rather small compared to 360 gen and before.
But don't get me wrong, I get a game on pc like re4 remake if I deem ps5 quality trash.

Last edited:
yeah but eh, while i prefer remasters from the original dev/publisher, there are times where mods do that and more.
some modders go to crazy lengths redoing basically all textures, lighting, updated models (including geometry), etc etc
Well yeah. Hence why i also mentioned mods which can give Qol gameplay improvements as well as improved textures, lighting and models
It depends on how much the modder screws up the artistic intent of the original. That's why it's good to separate modding from official remastering to the point where they have separate terminologies. Not saying either option get it right 100% all of the time, but on average modders can sometimes go a bit overboard with changes(especially with character models) to improve things to what they deem is better. They will do that instead of just enchancing things very carefully while keeping them as close as possible to the original, which is usually intent of official remastering projects. This part however, is a nice bonus when it comes to user mods:
but honestly, playing an old ass game at like 32x the original resolution + increased color depth + better performance can feel like a remaster by itself.
4k is ~150x the ps1's lowest resolution. that's crazy.
Now, to address the below...
In FFVIII the biggest bump is resolution though. Or at least the result wouldn't seem nearly as significant if the original wasn't shown at the original PlayStation resolution so that only the new textures (also shown unfiltered in the original as they were) remained as real improvements. That's why most official comparisons show the original resolution, to make a larger impact, proving that's actually a big part of what makes them look better nowadays.
They redid the models for FF8 and used A.I. upscaling for multiple parts. That counts as remastering, same as below.

As for Metroid Prime that's an outlier since it basically is an 1:1 remake (not reimagining) marketed as a remaster, it's doing the same thing as Demon's Souls on PS5 on a lower end platform. Way to argue against your own point by having to use these two particular examples to make it to begin with though.
Some of you are so busy trying to jump at any opportunity to dunk on others that you don't look up other examples first before posting.

Texture updates can count as a remaster as long as the game still retains the original code. And before you bring it up, this also doesn't mean each game will fully update each texture, as they normally will pick and choose what to update based on what looks good and what looks really bad when doing an upres on the original texture. Nintendo obviously goes the extra mile when remastering, but everyone knows this. That doesn't make it their effort a remake though, it just means that they're much better at remastering than nearly everyone else on earth.

What Bluepoint did with both SoTC and Demon's Souls went well beyond that(especially the changes to Demon's Souls), which is why you had fans of the originals feeling that something was off with the controls/feeling of each and nitpicking them to death while providing video evidence of the slight changes.

Besides that there are plenty games that weren't originally on such a spec starved platform that are indeed basically remastered when you play them in high resolution and/or fps since the original resolution (or rather the resolution most people could run them on release day when we're talking PC games) actually hid detail that was there already or only visible when assets were seen very close up to take up enough pixels to show their full glory (like many PS2 games look great on PCSX2 where the official remasters only altered little bits of content, not everything and not always to be better anyway, often without the same vision or even automatically upscaled with AI which you can do with mods too in many cases). Not to mention the example game in the OP is Morrowind which obviously has far more extensive upgrade work available for it than any official remaster but it's also all optional as mods so every player can experience it as they see fit. You can even play it in full VR with hand controls nowadays.
This was not what I'm pointing out in my original post. I'm well aware of games at lower resolutions having details that were not originally shown to their fullest and are shown once you emulate them to a better degree.

This is the gaming industry's problem because they didn't fully agree to hard definitions on the differences between remaster and remake, so you have people thinking Nintendo remade Metroid Prime when that product is technically a remaster. They put the word remaster in the title for crying out loud. It's just that some remasters are so barebones that it makes Nintendo's remaster look like a remake by comparison. That's not their fault.

simpatico

Playing the Fallout New Vegas remaster right now and it's great. All new textures, animations, new NPCs, enemies, weapon types and more.

Alexios

That counts as remastering
Yes, I never said FFVIII is not a remaster, of course it is, what are you arguing against here?

Why are you showing Perfect Dark by Microsoft to make the point Nintendo's Metroid Prime is just a standard remaster? Obviously it's a far cry from just using AI upscaling and changing a few models. It's exactly the same situation as Demon's Souls and nothing like Perfect Dark which clearly isn't even as extensive as OoT3D or MM3D in how much was changed, never mind MP. And people knocked on DS for the art changes more than anything else, seeing as gameplay wise it's running the old engine underneath the graphics (just like Prime 3 which instead runs on a new version of the same engine) so, gameplay was on point regardless of what people thought. But there are complaints for both (and the Zelda 3D editions) seeing how for example Prime's remake does away with aspects in the original, like the dynamic lighting in every shot fired, not to mention the gate debacle.

As for modders not getting the art direction, that happens in official products too (again as in DS or the 3D Zeldas). It's a case by case deal you can't just lump them all together to diminish what the OP said by flaunting the worst possibility of mods (which remain optional) and in your opinion best of remasters that are far from the norm. Of course there are good remasters and bad remasters and good mods and bad mods and a ton of stuff inbetween and a ton of remasters that did basically just increase resolution and framerate, maybe boosted other aspects in comparison to console versions but otherwise just did (or still didn't) bring it on par to how existing PC versions had the potential to be already or improved only some things and others not as much. And again, if AI upscaled textures is your go to amazing thing, that's one of the easiest things to do nowadays and loads of mods do the same thing as it doesn't take years and effort or budget, I made that point earlier it's nothing to be impressed by and you come back with it as an argument? Heck, there are fan remasters of remasters, like mods AI upscaling the pre-rendered backgrounds of games like FFVIII.

The only way you can call Metroid Prime a standard remaster is if you also think Demon's Souls is such as pretty much every asset in both has been remade and both largely keep the original gameplay (though one could say Prime also has the bigger changes here with all new schemes available). They just both chose to keep the original vision more intact in their own way than something like Resident Evil 4 but also they're clearly a far cry from even the Resident Evil 4 HD project that does change loads of the assets in the game but you aren't gonna call that a fan remake either. Either way, whether you think it's a remaster or not it's clearly an outlier and not the norm (not even for Nintendo) just as nobody would claim the Resident Evil 4 HD project is the norm but the OP's point still largely stands acknowledging both of these cases as outliers and simply admitting the norm.

Might as well try to argue against the OP by bringing up pre-Windows games you generally can't easily run in higher than intended resolutions or fps, different aspect ratios etc., (though you still run them way easier than back in the day) that'd be less disingenuous than these isolated/rare cases, lol.

Last edited:

dolabla

Building my first PC this year was the best gaming decision ever for this purpose alone. I have not touched my consoles at all since I built it two months ago. I play it pretty much every day. It's just a satisfying experience being able to get the absolute max of all these games (old and new).

Building my first PC this year was the best gaming decision ever for this purpose alone. I have not touched my consoles at all since I built it two months ago. I play it pretty much every day. It's just a satisfying experience being able to get the absolute max of all these games (old and new).
Playing MGS2 in 4k was fun.

Three

PC gaming's the best. No more waiting for Rockstar to get off their asses and release a next-gen patch for RDR 2. PC games always just maximize their performance for whatever hardware you're running.

Love it.
But with rockstar you often have to wait for them to get off their asses and release on PC in the first place, which is even worse.

Alexios

So why doesn’t my copy Caesar III work well on my new computer?

Alternatively if you don't want many gameplay improvements for a more vanilla experience, Julius.
If you have more from that Windows 95-98 era and they don't have a particular to them implementation like this chances are dgVoodoo2 will work to iron out any performance or other issues they may have on modern machines (which probably still aren't worse than back in the day to begin with). I've used it from the likes of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D and SWAT 3 to MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries with flawless results. For a wholly different sort of thing that can also work for a range of software, old Windows versions and their software can run through the DOSBox Pure Retroarch core.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I did recently get into Morrowind like in my previous thread, and am playing it for the first time with OpenMW. The game feels smooth, controls smooth, and runs smooth, at 16:10 perfect for the Steam Deck aspect ratio. If it were a backwards compatible game on Nintendo, Sony or even Xbox (most of the time) it'd still be running at 4:3 with the same control scheme and 30fps.

So easy to just make an experience from the past more fun these days. And since a lot of these early 2000s/late 90s games are on PC there's no need to ask for ports of older games or remasters too, you remaster them yourself. Truly the best way to experience gaming's history!

Mods are amazing and make the entry price worth it, easily. I'm playing a D2 resurrected mod that is amazing. Not to mention the Souls mods like The Convergence and Cinders which are mind-blowing my good. Amen to the thread topic.

Buggy Loop

Just resolution?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

To begin with, as if that's even bad? Go revisit Mirror's edge in 4K max settings and compare it to what was on consoles back then. But then there's mods. Games that are nearly 2 decades old are still pertinent today because of mods and even support peripherals that just didn't exist back then, such as VR.

Black Mesa?

Thief 1 & 2 HD mods, Freespace 2 open?

I can't even comprehend what you're saying. Its nonsense.

Top Bottom