• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - PC Retro Time Capsule vs Xbox 360/PS2 - Old-School Cross-Gen!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new Retro PC Time Capsule video, John and Alex go back to cross-gen gaming, 2006-style, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Join us for a look back at a time where Xbox 360 out-performed mainstream PCs by a long chalk, resulting in some games receiving almost completely different versions of the 'same game'... and not even Ageia PhysX support can help PC on this one! Meanwhile, it's a sorry state of affairs once we get to look at the PS2 version of the game...

Aldynes

The graphical jump was insane for someone who used to play on the OG Xbox and PS2 back then, what blew me away was the size of the maps, it felt like a real city and danger was potentially coming from windows and rooftops, the cross-com thing was a clever way to never break the immersion too.

Gametrailers reviewed it extremely well (9.9)

RagnarokIV

Ubisoft peaked around this time. Then they shit their pants, but instead of going home they threw their pants in the toilet’s trash can and tried to carry on the party like nothing happened.
Mate, we can fucken smell it. You stink of shit you dirty cunt.
Don’t even finish your drink - Fuck off home and sort your life out. Come back when you make good games again. Prick.

Last edited:

DR3AM

First next gen game and it blew my mind.

I remember if you enabled cheats, you could still get achievements. My first game with 1000 gamer score

First next gen game and it blew my mind.

I remember if you enabled cheats, you could still get achievements. My first game with 1000 gamer score
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

GRAW had really stupid online achievements, like "host 1000 games" and achievements for being #1 on the global leaderboards.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Back when no one gave a shit about frame rates on consoles and devs just went h.a.m. with the graphics even if it made no sense lol. This game would 100% target 60fps these days. It still did back then but ran in the 30s outside of the night vision mode.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Never played the 360 version, but was always a bit jealous playing my PC version and seeing how good the console version looked. Weird era where the consoles where out performing PC's a bit.

salva

I remember the GRIN devs interacting with the GR fans on the old forums. But they very much sounded like they were winging it making the PC version. It was also around the time one of the Redstorm devs started Blackfoot Studios and the early concepts of Ground Branch.

Even though the 360 version was more action-arcade compared to the GR roots, it was a great game.
Spent so many hours in the MP doing terrorist hunt

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

These games were blockbuster level but quite challenging. I liked the bullets flying around you. It was really impressive in 2006. The sequel wasn't bad either and the first RB6 Vegas was fairly good as well.

Quantum253

What a throwback. I remember seeing ads for this and being blown away that was possible on a console. Between that and ES IV: Oblivion. Interesting time when a console matched PC graphics and in some cases were better. 360 is still one of my favorite consoles.....I don't miss that piss filter that was on everything though

Reactions: Gp1
What a throwback. I remember seeing ads for this and being blown away that was possible on a console. Between that and ES IV: Oblivion. Interesting time when a console matched PC graphics and in some cases were better. 360 is still one of my favorite consoles.....I don't miss that piss filter that was on everything though
I believe the 360 is the last time there wasn’t an equivalent GPU for the PC yet. Someone correct me if I’m wrong?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It was a good game to me... But the Xbox version was a downgrade on purpose...

With writing errors from Helatos to ice cream. Game of 8 rating, with its ''modern'' setting, with the stereotype of one of the worst and most bloodthirsty presidents we had in México ...

I remember with bitterness that this game started a dark time in my life that lasted approximately 12 or 13 years.

Last edited:
I really wanted a PhysX card, but it was hard to justify the purchase when you looked at the number of supported games. Two years later (and one after Cellfactor lmao) Nvidia launched their PhysX drivers. The 8800 was 3-4 times faster than the Ageia PPU.

The visuals of the PC version of GRAW were considered superior to the console version. Check out Gamespot's review for an example. PC magazines were in awe. The recommended GPU for FEAR couldn't even enable max textures here, and it was only six months later!

fatmarco

The visuals of the PC version of GRAW were considered superior to the console version. Check out Gamespot's review for an example. PC magazines were in awe. The recommended GPU for FEAR couldn't even enable max textures here, and it was only six months later!
Maybe in terms of raw texture quality etc. but I think outside of a few things the 360 version looks better overall. The general aesthetics are better, the lighting/shadows system are superior and so on.

Top Bottom