• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Battlefield 3 - 2011 PC Time Capsule vs PS3 vs Xbox 360 - An Engine Ahead Of Its Time

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the latest PC Time Capsule episode, we return to 2011 and the arrival of Battlefield 3, powered by the incredible Frostbite engine. DICE pushed technology to the next level with a forward-looking engine that came into its own in the PS4/Xbox One generation - but it all began here with an outstanding PC version flanked by two surprisingly impressive console ports. Alex, John and Rich join forces for this one!

hlm666

Still holds up today as far as visuals in multiplayer goes, although the 30hz tickrate feels terrible these days, 60hz bf4 servers are ok these days but still not quite up to modern multiplayer games in the network department. This was one of my favourite videos back in the day.

Tarnpanzer

I remember the console-version was extremely cut back. 24 players max vs. 64 players on PC. What a disappointment.

Because of that BF4 on consoles was a huge jump for console-only gamers.

Last edited:

zephiross

I remember that this game was basically unplayable on ps3 for at least half a year. It had severe input lag and you had to put the ps3 display resolution to 540P in order to fix it. What a shitshow. Not to mention the rubberbanding.
Yeah that was so bad, and you had some players and the devs saying there wasn't any input lag and saying it was fine... It was horrendous. it took soooooo long to get patched.

But still, BF3 remains my favorite BF game. That's one of the games I'd like a full remaster of so people get back into it.

When you see this and BF2042 it's unbelievable how bad BF2042 is. There is not a single map that is iconic or great.
Its a mess and should be free to play and then again you shouldn't waste your time on it.
Yep, checked it out during its free week on psn and it's terrible.

Klik

Its really both kinda incredible and sad that BF3 from 2011 on PC looks better than BF2042 from 2021😭

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Operation METRO is like the best Dice could possibily make. Nothing will get close.
A fellow agent of chaos I see.

Conquest Operation Metro 24/7 no explosives was always the best server.
BF3, BF4 and Battlefield V.
I would have loved a Metro in Battlefield 1 but alas.

Rush Operation Metro was also an absolute chore if you were attacking, but once you starting flowing it was such a chaoticly good map.
At first I would always quit if I was on the attacking side, but once I had a few decent players on the squad our squad would always break through....always.

P.S Operation Locker deserve some props too.

Lysandros

For anyone with a deeper interest on how they used the SPUs for the PS3 version.

https://www.ea.com/frostbite/news/spu-based-deferred-shading-in-battlefield-3-for-playstation-3

LeL0x9Z.jpg

octiny

Banned
Ah, good times.

Had a couple of GTX 580's in SLI & mostly just played Operation Metro spamming the hell out of the grenade launcher near the escalators racking up 80+ kills per match 😂

UnNamed

Banned
I remember the single player campaign with invisible walls and that dirty lens effect, so fucking stupid, the main reasons why I dropped the game quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom