• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

Rindain

Banned
SovanJedi said:
crocoburn.gif

Awesome artwork. Hopefully there will be incredible moments like this in Corruption.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Red Scarlet said:
I've read posts from Brickroad and looked at his glitch guide long ago. I know Andrew Mills from when he hosted samus.co.uk. Dunno what he's doing now after stopping the site.

Hah, it really is a small world after all. I know Brickroad through another community, and Andrew Mills in real life (well, did. I don't speak to him much nowadays. Didn't know he stopped samus.co.uk actually)

Ironically, I don't speedrun Metroid. At all. I feel bad for intentionally breaking games to get ahead. Is it true they built sequence jumping into Zero Mission to an extent?

Darunia said:
This is one of my favorite moments

6bdx3jl.jpg

Wow! looking back at this screenshot, the GF trooper looks JUST like the one in Metroid Prime 3!

PLEASE NINTENDO PLEASE DON'T LET METROID PRIME 3 TURN INTO A HALO CLONE!!! You had the feeling right with MP1 and 2, don't ruin the series please!

BTW I haven't seen the 1st hour videos, just some screencaps and let's just say they don't fill me with confidence. I don't want mission objectives in Metroid dammit! Actually if someone who's played the game could distill my fears I would be very grateful since I refuse to spoil myself with the new videos!

AniHawk

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow! looking back at this screenshot, the GF trooper looks JUST like the one in Metroid Prime 3!

PLEASE NINTENDO PLEASE DON'T LET METROID PRIME 3 TURN INTO A HALO CLONE!!! You had the feeling right with MP1 and 2, don't ruin the series please!

BTW I haven't seen the 1st hour videos, just some screencaps and let's just say they don't fill me with confidence. I don't want mission objectives in Metroid dammit! Actually if someone who's played the game could distill my fears I would be very grateful since I refuse to spoil myself with the new videos!

Well, technically they're all "mission-based." At the end of Super Metroid, it says, "See you next mission," I think.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
MP 2 added marines but did it right imo: they were all dead at Samus' time of arrival. I hope the talking characters thing only lasts for the introduction in MP3, I'm seriously not all that hot for a lot of dialogue in a Metroid game.
Yeah I know don't hang on to old standards, welcome change blabla, but I'm conservative like that. Silence and isolation = vital to Metroid

Darunia said:
MP 2 added marines but did it right imo: they were all dead at Samus' time of arrival. I hope the talking characters thing only lasts for the introduction in MP3, I'm seriously not all that hot for a lot of dialogue in a Metroid game.
Yeah I know don't hang on to old standards, welcome change blabla, but I'm conservative like that. Silence and isolation = vital to Metroid

Truth.

eXistor

I'm getting it even though I have the original sitting in my SNES right now. It's the PAL version though, so that should answer the question as to why.

HOLY SHIT I've been waiting FOREVER to play this game.

Man, I hope it's up soon - I can't wait to download this, I've had points lying around I'm just dying to use on gems like this!

Scrubking

Darunia said:

FALSE

Xater

Darunia said:
explain yourself, dwight

Actually I am with him there.

I know the purists want it that way but seriously there only was silence because of Nintendos politics. It was alright with everything prior Gamecube but it totally pissed me of to scan all this shit and read all this shit just to get an idea of the storyline.

That's why I am totally excited for Prime 3 it looks like it works with mire videos and voice over. It finally hit the modern gaming era and that's how it should have been from the start of the Prime series.

Avrum

Darunia said:
This is one of my favorite moments

6bdx3jl.jpg

I totally forgot about that...how many games have Federation soldiers been shown in?

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime: Hunters (well the CG sequence for Sylux anyway)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Am I missing any?

Capndrake

Avrum said:
I totally forgot about that...how many games have Federation soldiers been shown in?

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime: Hunters (well the CG sequence for Sylux anyway)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Am I missing any?
Didn't Fusion have some?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Xater said:

I know the purists want it that way but seriously there only was silence because of Nintendos politics. It was alright with everything prior Gamecube but it totally pissed me of to scan all this shit and read all this shit just to get an idea of the storyline.

That's why I am totally excited for Prime 3 it looks like it works with mire videos and voice over. It finally hit the modern gaming era and that's how it should have been from the start of the Prime series.

Ok scanning is personal. I liked it as it's a non-intrusive way of telling the story: you can get more detail if you want, but if you just want to play the game, that's possible too. I liked that. Apparently you didn't, but I understand. Still, it proves that Retro respects and understand what made SM great.
So about Super Metroid: it would take a couple of paragraphs to summarize what happened in that game, but in the game itself it is said without a single word (there's an introduction, but that only recounts what went up until the beginning). SM tells a story entirely through gameplay and without a single word uttered, that's mighty impressive to me.

Mar

I wouldn't say the best game of all time. But I'd certainly say it's the best 16bit game of all time.

But yes, everyone needs to buy this. Fucking incredible.

Xater

I am not really informed about VC releases so I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if this is also coming out in Europe today or if it has a date at all.

Avrum

Capndrake said:
Didn't Fusion have some?

I don't quite remember. I know they showed some kind of troops following Samus when she first encountered the X parasite, but they're suits didn' tlook like Federation suits; they might have just been BSL attendants or something.

How is the emulation of Nintendo games on VC? Are they all 100% spot on perfect? Any random issues in previously released games? I never downloaded a VC game before and if it's not perfect then I'd rather not.

E-phonk

Banned
Naked Snake said:
How is the emulation of Nintendo games on VC? Are they all 100% spot on perfect? Any random issues in previously released games? I never downloaded a VC game before and if it's not perfect then I'd rather not.
They are 99% spot on. Most of the time they are just the original rom with all things intact, but there have been some occasions (recently wave racer) where there were small alterations.

The excitement woke me up... and today is my first day of classes and I don't have one until 11:30... yet Super Metroid woke me up earlier than I needed to be awake for school... if that doesn't explain the awesomeness of SM... the power...

Scrubking

Naked Snake said:

No they are not perfect and in some cases have original features removed. Your best bet is to ask someone who already has the game you want to see how it's emulated.

Rezbit

Rindain said:
Yeah, I also think Jessica Alba is totally hot. I would totally hit that.

Just wanted you to know something about me.

:lol

Sovan, I have to admit I rightclick-saved that image from that thread. Absolutely brilliant work there man.

jjasper

I will buy this game and beat it every day this week :D

Now I need a new game to bitch at Nintendo about. This time it is Ogre Battle.

I was playing this all last week, trying to get 100% items, and my save crapped out when I got to Ridley in Norfair. It just suddenly changed to "no data" for no reason whatsoever. I started again, and rushed through it and completed it for the first time in over 10 years on Saturday...

supermetroid.jpg

61%... I suck. I suppose it's not too late to go back and get the stuff I've missed.

The PAL version isn't too bad. There seems to be a slight colour difference compared to some of the screencaps I see here, but it looks and moves well. It's annoying the way French / German subtitles are forced into the intro though (you have to pick a language and you can't turn it off).

Fuck goddamn it I already have homework in my 3:30 class so the most I'll be able to do until I get back to my apartment is download the game =\

Christ I hate school

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Xater said:

Prime was excellent just because of that, IMO, the storyline killed Fusion and Zero Mission, there was no sense of accomplishment whatsoever, you just hat to connect the dots. At least Fusion had some cool bosses and atmosphere, Zero Mission didn't even have those.

Super Metroid is one of the greatest games, and I agree.

EktorPR

Just a couple more hours...

Man, I can't wait to go back to Zebes. Afterall, it has been a few years since I trekked its hauntingly beautiful ecosystems...and a week before Corruption, perfect timing. :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If you've never downloaded anything from the VC Service or if you're vehemently against supporting it, this is the absolute one game that you need to purchase. I know that sort of suggestion gets bandied around with wanton disregard on this forum and I'm fully aware of how many times you have heard it but Super Metroid is quite possibly one of the finest interactive experience ever crafted. Best of all, the games has held up quite well and there's nothing out there that has managed to replicate it's flawless design. I honestly don't know how to express it further without sounding full of hot air.

This is the finest example of a classic title that absolutely and unequivocally must be played by anyone interested in video games.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
marvelharvey said:

A-fucking-men.

This game is to awesome for words. Hopefully I'll get it today.

I don't remember much about it though, so, I'll probably be nagging the shit out of Red Scarlet! Lol.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Best game evar. I can already hear the music in my head.....

The music when you're on the planet's surface near the crashed ship (the surface of the Meridian lake) is... just... omfg

Here is an awesome remix I found, I hope this isn't breaking any rules or anything but I don't care, everyone in this thread deserves to hear this

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LP187961

But if it's hardcore against rules, I'll remove it promptly. It's just SO AWESOME.

Top Bottom