• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - An ode to one of the best games ever

makaveli60

As a foreword, I’d like to highlight my journey with this game before explaining why I think it’s one of the best videogames ever.

First of all, I have no experience with either CDPR games (except for Witcher 2 for an hour maybe) or Cyberpunk itself, so I didn’t really know what to expect.

When I first saw the reveal trailer I found it interesting and cool and looked forward to more but many years passed by until we saw it again in 2018. That trailer looked amazing, it depicted an insanely cool futuristic world with infinite opportunities. Then came the very long gameplay video and I was sold, it looked amazing. Although I had some reservations as it looked to good to be true. Then a couple of years went by again before release with numerous delays and I wasn’t too hyped but still looked forward to it. I knew that this was something I would want to play on a nextgen console, so I didn’t really mind the late release. Then came the bad news that there will be no native nextgen versions at launch but I still bought it day 1 because I was excited. Then came more bad news, bugs, comparisons etc. that suggested I should wait more. Still I played a bit just to see what this was and I knew already that despite the problems at launch, it was something special. I decided that I will definitely wait for the real nextgen version as this was something I had to experience in the best possible way (at least on console). Then came the nextgen release, played about 10 hours which I really enjoyed but life took a relatively big turn for me and I also started playing other games so I just abandoned it until this January. I saw the praise for both the main game, the updates and Phantom Liberty so it was finally time to really join the ride. And wow, what a ride it was. In the end it was even better than I could ever imagine. I won’t try to write a coherent text as I will just type the thoughts that come to my mind, but below are some of the reasons why I think it’s one of the best games ever:

-Fitst of all the technical side as I’m a graphics whore. Well, what this Polish studio did with this game is just unbelievable. I cannot comprehend how were they able to release this game in 2020 on lastgen consoles, while it still looks better than well, 98% of games. What I would put next to it is TLoU2, RDR 2. It’s crazy that a game developed by an Eastern European company can be put next to the very best of what the industry can offer technical wise. I know it’s cool to hate and laugh on it because of the bugs, and while I feel it was over-exaggarated I assume there was some truth to it, but if you play this in 2024 it’s almost perfectly okay. I only encountered really minor bugs during my 200 hours that happen in almost every game and some crashes but that’s it. The visuals and animations are really something else. I have never seen such detailed animations in gameplay where you are free to move while these happen. I guess the first person camera helps in achieving the immersion it provides. It’s unbelievable, you have to see it yourself. Seriously, it feels like something really went side ways with this industry as this is a cross-gen game made by an Eastern European developer from 2020 and ever since then nothing has been released that even got close to this level. Yet it runs even on an Xbox One. Wtf?

-But the technical side is not the only aspect that helps in achieving the most immersed feel I ever got from a videogame. Yes, the visuals and the animations are a great part of it, but it wouldn’t mean much if we were not presented with the most realistic city (and world) ever created in a game. This is how you create a unique open world, where every location feels unique and has a purpose, not just copy pasted fields. Yes, I heard a lot that the city is dead but I’m not sure we played the same game. I guarantee that the people who say this never took the time to just walk around the city and take in the sights. Don’t tell me that going to Corpo Plaza and looking up and around you is not a breathtaking experience, for example. The “dead” city feel might come from that initially you only see wandering people without cause. But if you take the time and check out smaller streets, alleys, inside locations you will find a lot of life in the world. Then there are the crazy amount of advertisements, TV shows and world building elements, all commented by Johnny, that all help you getting immersed in this world. To sum up, the “dead world” argument is just bull in my opinion. It’s one of the most immersive games ever, period.

-Another critique I always heard that “your choices don’t matter”. Again, wtf? Did we play the same game? It’s maybe just me, but I have never seen a videogame where your choices matter this much. I’m sure they exist, but in the AAA space what this game offers is outstanding. Even your answer to a totally minor character can result in small consequences. I mean, what more do you want? So many things can be different between playthroughs that even thinking about it is tiring. And believe me, I tested the game many times with my decisions or at least checked online the different outcomes, and I’m crazy impressed with what I saw.

-The writing and voice acting: I cannot express how much of a breath of fresh air was to play something that was written by actual adults who can write, covering a crazy amount of thought provoking topics without lecturing me about woke bullsh. Actually, if you want to do diversity, this is how you do it. I don’t think there is any other game that has such a diverse set of characters, yet there is no woke brainwashing added to it, they just simply exist in the game world, and none of it feels out of place.

But back to the topics involved in the game. It’s another aspect of it’s immersiveness as it feels that this future world could exist in reality. I don’t want to get too political, but this seems like it can be the actual future if things go the same way as they are now and this is why it’s so immersive. Corrupt politicians, institutions, power hungry corporations, it’s all there. This is among the best writing in video games, that’s for sure. And why this works is that the voice acting is superb everywhere (I played as male V).

-The character progression is also amazing. You can actually be a half-god by the end of the game, with eliminating groups of enemies at the blink of an eye merely with your “mind” or be a Matrix samurai and slice groups of enemies into pieces in bullet-time. It’s insane. And the best in this is that the world-building is so good that all of this is constructed in such a way that it still remains realistic, you can easily imagine that everything you see here can exist in our reality in the future.

-As an FPS fan, I have to say that this is one of the best of the genre (I know it’s technically not an FPS, but you get it). Actually, I can’t remember when was the last time that a game had such good gunplay. (TLoU2 maybe). The weapons you can use here have real power, what you can do with them is gruesome, especially with some late game iconic weapons. I remember a thread here about the best shotguns in FPS games. Well, welcome the “new” king.

-Music: the OST of the game is also really good, but I felt it could have had a bit more of them. What was really cool is that the radio stations played relatively unknown artists and there are some really good songs in there. Plus the Johnny Silverhand/Samurai part of the game is f’n cool.

-Story (or rather stories): I already talked about the writing, and that it’s superb and as a consequence all the stories in this game world are. So many characters, so many different, thought-provoking stories, with some really unique character building moments. The many different endings could also surprise me, thankfully they were not what I expected. Simply awesome.
It was funny that I was so immersed in the side jobs because of their uniqueness that I was afraid to start doing the gigs, assuming that those were the general open-world filler fetch quests. Ho boy, how wrong I was. In this game, even the side content is on the level or above other games’ main parts. It’s crazy.

I think it’s time to stop here for now because I assume some of you may already think that I’m astroturfing after the neverending praise but this is truly how I feel about this game. I don’t know what to expect from the sequel, neither from technical side (IMO they shouldn’t have ditched their state of the adt engine for a more generic one) nor from writing side (I’m afraid moving development to the USA will certainly result in huge quality degradation with woke brainwashing, but I really, really hope that I will be proven wrong). But what is sure is that this game will be among the greatest of all time forever and the memories of what I experienced will never fade away.

Thank you CDPR!

simpatico

I just finished my replay and first time with the DLC. You can easily make the argument it's the best game of all time. CDPR, From and Rockstar are so far ahead of every other dev in the modern era. They pretty much have the top floor to themselves. I've played every Witcher game at launch, and I'd still prefer Cyberpunk 2 over Witcher 4. I hope the rumors of them outsourcing CP2 to a US studio are false.

Last edited:

makaveli60

It's absolutely amazing. Almost as good as TW3 in my eyes.

Haters will be here soon...
Then we will send them back playing fortnite or some similar shit :D
I’m sure that the haters don’t know the game or have no real gaming experience and can’t really differentiate quality.

Regarding TW3, Cyberpunk is the reason that I actually started thinking about getting it. I never liked what I saw in videos but I just checked out that it received the most significant nextgen patch (for free) and I might give it a shot, just because it’s made by the same developers.

Last edited:

Bojji

Then we will send them back playing fortnite or some similar shit :D
I’m sure that the haters don’t know the game or have no real gaming experience and can’t really differentiate quality.

Regarding TW3, Cyberpunk is the reason that I actually started thinking about getting it. I never liked what I saw in videos but I just checked out that it received the most significant nextgen patch (for free) and I might give it a shot, just because it’s made by the same developers.

They focus mostly on traffic, Police ai or other shit irrelevant for this game. CP is about story and quests.

I think TW3 is even better than CP, it's definitely less immersive with TP camera but it's still CDPR masterpiece. CP is slightly worse overall but for sure has better gameplay.

Last edited:
It's absolutely amazing. Almost as good as TW3 in my eyes.

Haters will be here soon...
Almost as good as Witcher 3 isnt good enough.

Am sure I will like it way more than Witcher 3 when I will play it. Simply cause its skill tree looks great. Witcher 3 character progression has to be dumbest shit I ever saw in a video game.

makaveli60

They focus mostly on traffic, Police ai or other shit irrelevant for this game. CP is about story and quests.

I think TW3 is even better than CP, it's definitely less immersive with TP camera but it's still CDPR masterpiece. CP is slightly worse overall but for sure has better gameplay.
Ah, I knew I forgot something and this made me remember. The car driving mechanic is also really enjoyable. All the types have different handling and I really liked that

Dazraell

I just finished my replay and first time with the DLC. You can easily make the argument it's the best game of all time. CDPR, From and Rockstar are so far ahead of every other dev in the modern era. They pretty much have the top floor to themselves. I've played every Witcher game at launch, and I'd still prefer Cyberpunk 2 over Witcher 4. I hope the rumors of them outsourcing CP2 to a US studio are false.
They are not outsourcing it to US studio, but formed a new satellite studio in Boston. Cyberpunk's sequel has the same team who worked on 2.0 patch and Phantom Liberty, they were just moved from Poland to US

calistan

Played as much as I could tolerate, back when it was brand new and I was expecting it to be futuristic GTA - about 26 hours. I just couldn’t figure out how to get powerful, I wasn’t ever drawn in by the story, and could never find my way around the city in the way I could in any GTA. It feels narrow and walled in.

I kind of drifted away from it and forgot what I was meant to be doing, but I’ve kept it installed and updated all these years in the expectation of one day starting again.
Maybe this is the weekend I give it another chance…

Hugare

It's one of my favorite games ever

I loved it from day one, but I cant stress enough how much of a better game you've experienced after waiting for Phantom Liberty in order to dive in.

Despite loving it, I would give the original an 8, and now after PL a 9.5 with ease

I disagree with you on it not feeling "dead". This is the only reason why it's not a perfect 10 imo.

The city design is immaculate, to the point where I boot the game from time to time 'cause nothing else can scratch that itch.

But NPC animations/reactions are very limited, traffic is weirdly unrealistic (no one driving bikes, no one parking cars etc.), and lack of unique NPCs in certain environments (people running at the beach, sit down on benchs having conversations etc). It's the same walking animation for every NPC, ffs. There's stuff that Rockstar did better in 2013's GTA V (dont think its unfair to compare it to the GOAT)

They came *this* close to perfection, imo. Everything else is just superb. Phantom Liberty was the best parts from the game firing on all cylinders, elevating it even further.

Guilty_AI

Great game but unfortunately most of the writing is miles away from what they achieved with The Witcher 3. Maybe it's the setting but some of the characters and their stories were quite cringe-y.
I liked the writing in Cp77 more than i did TW3. The latter's story feels all over the place with some really good stuff and some really bad. CP77 feels a lot more consistent overall, i also like how they put more focus on side-quests which is a strenght of the studio to begin with.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

My apologies, i am currently feeling too lazy to read the full OP, but i agree with the general sentiment that Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the best games ever made, for my personal taste atleast.

It will always remain installed on my PC. Will probably do a playthrough every year or so, till the sequel is out. I have even perfected my collection of 150+ mods on it. Vortex has been amazing in that regard.

Edit, ok, i took the time to read it and, makaveli60 makaveli60 i agree with you on all points except two:

1. I never got the feeling that your choices matter in the game except for the AllFoods quest at the beginning and a different quest and cutscene at the ending. For example, the three lifepaths - all they do is give different dialogue options in a few conversations, options which do not affect the outcome of the quest in any way. Lifepaths basically converge after the opening sequence and never diverge again in terms of narrative at all. As for the ending, i will give the game credit that the different endings are really different (not like Mass Effect 3 where you basically choose the colour filter of the end state). Phantom Liberty does even better in this regard. But it is not that you get told a different story and see changes in the game world because of your choices.

2. I do feel the city is not as fleshed out and interactive as its potential suggests. Calling it 'dead' is harsh in my opinion, but it definitely lacks the kind of "emergent discovery" that is contained in Skyrim for example. Exploring the city is fun ofcourse, there are great hand-crafted locations that you can find. But rarely does that exploration lead to gameplay rewards beyond some easter eggs, some good gear and some worldbuilding. It is by no means bad, at all, but i would not put it at the highest tiers of an immersive open world. Something like the random events that Rockstar can make or emergent quest discovery that Bethesda can do is lacking here.

Now, to be clear, i love the game. But i think we should also give criticism where it is due; that is the only way we get improvements in the sequel.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Having played it for the first time with the patch they released alongside the DLC. I thought it was a 7/10 at best.

I don't get the praise. For me, the best parts of the game are the graphics, the music, the city and those gigs that play kinda like a modern Deus Ex game.

I wasn't a fan of the writting, neither of most of the main quest or a good bunch of the secondary missions.

About the secondaries. Some were very cool, like the one with the rogue cabs or that one in which a mayor is being brainwashed. Those felt very cyberpunk-y, the kind of stuff I was expecting to find in the game given it's setting. Other secondary stuff, like the races with the trans bartender or investigating some crime with River Ward were kind of a missed opportunities imo, since you could find that stuff on any GTA game for example, and imo they weren't making a good use of the setting there. For comparison, Kingdom Come has all it's missions being related to something you could only expect in the middle ages, like going after heretics, investigating a witch cult or participating on a sword tournament.

Last part of the game was a chore, specially everything related to Silverhand's band which I couldn't give less of a shit about. Combat in the game is quite jank too.

stn

Its excellent, yeah. And PL is definitely one of the best expansions I've ever played. There are still some things I wish they included in the game, but overall it is excellent and has also come a long way since release. If it was a game that just released in its current state, we'd be talking about the 2024 GOTY.

Paasei

I really like this game. Immersion is top notch even with the quite silly AI. The city itself does the work. The layout, hoe buildings look the ads about all the corporations and so on.

Thought the gameplay was nothing special at first. Didn’t have an issue with it at all, but wasn’t anything noteworthy either. That is until I started to mix my hacking with swords and throwables. All the action with headshot throwing knives and double jumping & sprinting my way through with a sword.
This all got intensified with the Phantom Liberty update and the rework of the talent system.

Also got official mod support now (not that it was lacking before), so the capabilities should be endless.

Can’t wait to play more of it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
game looks great but NPC is dumb as hell.

And i swear the cops dont do shit if someone shooting at you.

I do enjoy using the katana

Last edited:
Gonna be honest, I think Cyberpunk in its current state is better than Deus Ex.
It will have to go above and beyond if it wanna compete with all time greats.

Simply being immersive is not gonna be enough.

How good is its level design to allow for stealth? Does it have proper skill checks to get out of sticky situations? How good it feels if you go full violence? Etc …

But anyways, I notice it’s highly praised, will get to it sooner rather than later.

makaveli60

Played as much as I could tolerate, back when it was brand new and I was expecting it to be futuristic GTA - about 26 hours. I just couldn’t figure out how to get powerful, I wasn’t ever drawn in by the story, and could never find my way around the city in the way I could in any GTA. It feels narrow and walled in.

I kind of drifted away from it and forgot what I was meant to be doing, but I’ve kept it installed and updated all these years in the expectation of one day starting again.
Maybe this is the weekend I give it another chance…
Do it, mate! Just give it time, let yourself be immersed in its world (just explore freely, read the ads, browse the websites, read the notes you can find etc.). If you get to know it you can be a literal half-god compared to how you start.

Saber

Honestly, its pretty cool game but doesn't quite deliver in certain aspects.
The story is beyond phenomenal at the start(the one about going to the cybernetic clan is perhaps one of best things I ever experienced on a game), but falls incredibly short at the point of Jonny chip being installed and the main character "fighting to be alive", which includes demented crying for pain and hud short circuit spans that totally annoyed my experience. The ending was pretty mediocre and made my entire journey feel like a stupid joke. The DLC thankfully remedies that with a brand new end and I totally like it.
Gameplay aspect is fine, some random fps shooter thing but excels really at the branchs and different approachs. I absolute loved playing as a netrunner(hacker) build, was so much fun.
Some quests are pretty cool but others felt short on the story side. The differents way to deal with them is appreciated alot and it felt like I was playing Deus Ex again, something I really enjoyed.
I think the worst part of this game is the overexcessive abuse of futuristic ads in all the building areas of the game. Some are smarts, but others are so cringe and stupid, not to mention the frequency(I would call it spam).

TLDR, pretty cool experiences, with lot of shortcomings but still a pretty damn well crafted game. I would give it a 7,5 though. But a 7,5 that I would repeatedly play it over and over again. The story has such potential.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I had an alrightish first playthrough on release and then after all the updates last year revisited the game.
It felt a lot more polished years later. The best improvement they made was getting rid off the stamina for running. It encouraged me to explore much more of the war.
The looting was still cumbersome though and not being able to freely fast travel to places you've been still hurt the game imo. Fortunately through the power of mods I was able to alleviate that. It greatly enhanced my experience and I travelled all over the place taking lots of pictures. For the loot I had an autoloot mod where I could set the distance to loot from. Cut an enormous amount of time from the monotony. I also applied a cool visual filter and created custom radio stations to jam out too.

before explaining why I think it’s one of the best videogames ever.

You dont need to explain it to me buddy. I agree. It truly is one of the best games ever made and its all thanks to its characters and the atmosphere. Panam, Judy, V, Johnny, Jackie, Kerry, River, Rogue, Goro, etc. they all reminded me of those amazing times I had when I played Mass Effect 2 for the first time. An rpg is carried by its cast more than everything else.

RAIDEN1

Gonna be honest, I think Cyberpunk in its current state is better than Deus Ex.
Yeah but that isn't to say Edios couldn't have learnt what made Cyberpunk great in the first place, let's not forget the last entry was half the game it should have been anyway...

Denton

I played it the day it came out (well, the minute it came out at midnight I started unpacking it on Steam). If PC version was the only version out, it would have never gotten the bad rep. There were few bugs and pedestrian AI was very basic, but overall it was still perfectly great enough to be 2020 GOTY.

I intend to replay it this year with Phantom Liberty, fully expect 10/10 experience. I am just undecided about whether I should go with female V this time, or male again.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Dyv7eFK.png

I like this game.. Shame about the city simulation though, it's an ill fit with much of the rest and the gorgeous visuals. Wish it was more organic like a Rockstar simulation.

Jakk

Good game, but definitely not the all time best for me. I expected more impactful choices and more interaction with the environment, especially in the city.

Also, the launch was terrible. I give them credit for continuously improving and fixing the game, though.

I am just undecided about whether I should go with female V this time, or male again

I played it 3 times and always male. I just can't play a first-person immersive sim'ish game like Cyberpunk as a woman, not to mention the fact that Panam is without a doubt the most important romanceable character of them all, since she can be part of 2 endings.

Last edited:

Majukun

only played the game on day one, and it was a middle of the road game, good at a lot excellent at nothing, damaged by a bugged release.

no idea what they did in the meanwhile through patches, but i doubt they made it one of the best games ever.

and that's not even mentioning what they promised vs what they delivered

makaveli60

You dont need to explain it to me buddy. I agree. It truly is one of the best games ever made and its all thanks to its characters and the atmosphere. Panam, Judy, V, Johnny, Jackie, Kerry, River, Rogue, Goro, etc. they all reminded me of those amazing times I had when I played Mass Effect 2 for the first time. An rpg is carried by its cast more than everything else.
Noliesdetected.gif
Yep, all these (and also other) characters are so memorable. The writers, voice actors, animators, artists and everyone involved made them so real. Ever since I have finished the game I’m browsing the net about background stories etc. There are some really, not so obvious interesting things hidden in the game world, for example FF:06:B5

Rheon

i'm so glad I decided to play the game myself because naysayers will tell you it's the worst game ever made.

I don't know if it's one of the best games ever, but it's certainly one of the best games I have ever played.

Great game. One of the rare games that I've played multiple times. It's really rare for me to play a story driven game twice and I played it three times. It's an excellent game with the best city world ever built. Great side quests, great story. It just needed more. Hopefully, they can grow this franchise.

makaveli60

i'm so glad I decided to play the game myself because naysayers will tell you it's the worst game ever made.

I don't know if it's one of the best games ever, but it's certainly one of the best games I have ever played.
I’m starting to think these haters are just agents of a rival corp :D

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Star ending as a Nomad V lives in my head rent-free. Terrific experience despite the very rough start and some unfixed jank.

Also, CP2077 is the most visually stunning interactive city I know, made like 1200+ screenshots during my runs.
I0NoiPq.jpeg

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Agree with everything OP said, especially about the music and the writing.

The writing/acting/direction was genuinely good and not just “good for a videogame”. It was like watching The Matrix or something. It makes JRPGs feel like crappy kids cartoons in comparison.

Great game, I love the Cyberpunk genre. I bought the steelbook edition and waited it out until they fixed the bugs instead of getting a refund because it has a lot of potential. I even bought the expansion, but this game is not on the level of Tlou 2 or RDR2. The game released in state that was barely playable on consoles and forced Sony to remove the game from PSN because of mass refunds. CD Project RED was sued by its investors for misleading the perfomance of the game after 8 years of development.

I'll say they had one of the best recoveries, second to No Mans Sky, but one of the best games ever? The initial release was too much of a cluster fuck to be mentioned among the best, because it changed about how people feel when it comes to buying games on release date and trusting sponsored/paid reviewers to talk about the bugs and issues. Its gets an hourable mention after the updates and expansion DLC, but they cleary tried to fuck gamers.

Top Bottom