• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did steam prices go to complete shit, and why?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gamer discovers that games are full price when they’re not on sale.

Gamer hasn’t discovered the best way to buy Steam games is through the various store fronts competing with each other.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sure, and you'll own a digital key... to nothing! A loicense for permission from Gaben to use play a game if you're a good boi... no such thing as real physical games on PC, so nothing is really yours and you paid a premium for nothing so some fatass can buy their 8th megayacht and laugh at you for falling for nonexistent product that they can take away at any time

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

I rarely buy stuff on steam but i spend like crazy on legit key sites like fanatical, gmg, and humble. It's taken me more than 6 months to use a $50 steam gift card and i still have $12 left.

I got Control in the Humble Heroines bundle last year for 15 bucks with 8 other games.

Looking at a price history site it goes on sale on steam pretty regularly for 9.99.

I follow wario64 on twitter. I wouldn't even know about these key sites otherwise and my steam library would be wayyyyy smaller.

eshop is the same way. I just wait for stuff to be on sale. I want the space invaders collection that's 59.99 right now but it'll go 16 again soon. Same with ace attorney trilogy and atari something or another collection. (Not atari 50)

I don't know what I'm trying to say really... gotta be patient and wait for stuff to be on sale or you'll pay a lot more, i guess

As far as being in Canada, I can't help you with that 😉

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Wishlisting on Steam, checking prices on gg.deals, fanatical, etc. Even Wario64 on twitter throws out some decent ones. It's not hard to get deals, sometimes you just wait. In any case my backlog is ridiculous so I'm not in any hurry.

Recent purchases were Helldivers 2, Enshrouded, ME: Legendary Edition, Last Epoch and Palworld.

Fabieter

For me it was when they dropped flash sales. They said itsfairer to have some sales all day but it definitely fucked over the customers and made sales less interesting.

Shakka43

I discovered Eneba this morning from a student who said that’s where he gets his codes. I was wondering about how legit they can be as I found some delisted Steam game codes listed on there.
Have been using it for a good while now and never had any problems. Just check the ratings from the re-sellers you are buying to make sure they are solid.

Topher

Gold Member
CDKeys or Eneba are good bets if you can't wait for a sale. GreenManGaming used to be good too, but now they are hit or miss. Just wait for a sale.

All you need....

Topher

Gold Member
In certain cases, there is ambiguity surrounding the removal of keys by Valve, accompanied by developers experiencing chargebacks from credit card companies.

Sure.....but those cases seem to be very rare. I've been scammed on ebay before. That doesn't mean ebay is not legit.

Fabieter

Sure.....but those cases seem to be very rare. I've been scammed on ebay before. That doesn't mean ebay is not legit.

Certainly. Some sources are questionable, as you rightly pointed out, especially with platforms like CDKeys and eBay. Interestingly, when developers face chargebacks, it might be more advantageous for them if users choose to pirate the game.

Laptop1991

They raised the prices of PC games to put them inline with the console games with the release of the Xbox One and PS4, before that they were 30 quid brand new and even cheaper on key selling sites and you could use a program within Steam that would check other sites for the cheapest prices, that got stopped, it's a shame the quality of PC ports didn't double in quality as well to match the price rise, also Steam opened it's doors to loads of games no matter how bad they were, loads of shovel ware that are not worth anything imo, i preferred the Steam of 10 years ago, i rarely buy new off Steam now like i used to.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I remember when RE7 was on a big sale before release on some third party key site. Can't remember which, but whatever. Anyway, the developer came into the GAF/Resetera thread and said something like, "I can guarantee you that these keys, even if they're activating as a preorder on Steam today, will not work. Stop buying them. You are going to be screwed."

They worked at midnight lmao

Svejk

Bigger question is, why are Nintendo game prices total ass cheeks? 7 year old games still $60. How do people not have a problem with this?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wish the spring sale would hurry up and get here... I've been checking every day to see if king of fighters 15 is on sale but it hasn't been since the winter sale

At least Steam is finally clamping down on poor countries. Who knows maybe Argentinans will get off their ass when they need to pay 70 dollars for videogames.

Steam prices have been shit for a long long time.

I remember old steam sales and seeing so much shit at like a 90% discount and I built a huge library that I was never going to get through. Now I barely buy anything on steam.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Pc gaming became more than just an after thought for a lot of publishers now so they treat it like consoles now.

StereoVsn

Wait so Steam prices are higher than other non-sale prices on other stores? That's probably a currency thing, in the US for example cyberpunk is the same price on steam, epic, even GoG.
It could be currency or publisher shenanigans. Able doesn’t really set prices, they have recommendations based on currency that pubs/devs can use.

Top Bottom