• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

traveler

Not Wario
Alright, I've got a serious question: should I play this?

Now, before GAF overwhelms me with YESes, I need to explain my reservations so I can get an honest answer.

In the past five years, I've played Metroid Fusion and just about all of the handheld Castlevanias they've put out. I loved them, for the most part, but they've grown kinda redundant.

Case in point: when the XBL version of Symphony of the Night came out, I bought it, having never played it and having always known of its place as a classic in the history of gaming. A few hours in, I couldn't care less about finishing it. It's not that it was bad; it's just that it was a slightly better version of the exact same thing I played five times before.

So tell me, GAF, will I really enjoy Super Metroid? Or is this just another classic that I've played too many descendants of to enjoy?

I've only played Super Metroid for probably fifteen minutes, and that was on an XMC emulator. And I have a crapload of Points in my account anyway, so...

Socreges said:
VC hasn't been around very long. I suppose you weren't interested enough prior to that!

I am so jealous of all of you, btw.

I was very interested! But I've never been into the retro thing, owning older consoles, etc. VC makes it all very easy.

traveler said:

Now, before GAF overwhelms me with YESes, I need to explain my reservations so I can get an honest answer.

In the past five years, I've played Metroid Fusion and just about all of the handheld Castlevanias they've put out. I loved them, for the most part, but they've grown kinda redundant.

Case in point: when the XBL version of Symphony of the Night came out, I bought it, having never played it and having always known of its place as a classic in the history of gaming. A few hours in, I couldn't care less about finishing it. It's not that it was bad; it's just that it was a slightly better version of the exact same thing I played five times before.

So tell me, GAF, will I really enjoy Super Metroid? Or is this just another classic that I've played too many descendants of to enjoy?

I read the whole post.

Yes, play the game. SM defined this shit, and it does more with it than any other IMO.

koam

traveler said:

SM is a perfect game.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuck it.

*grabs 50 dollars*

I'm going to walk over to the nearby shopping center with a Hollywood Video/Game Crazy and buy a classic controller and a 2000 points card.

Actually, should I just buy a 2nd card while I'm over there?

Banned
I really wish all three systems would report the actual download speed / estimated time remaining on these downloads - I'm getting about 1 coin/minute, and haven't hit a block yet, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

I'm guessing all the Metroid fans have completely swamped the servers - which is something I hope Nintendo takes notice of. (I don't remember it happening with anything else on VC)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
andrewfee said:
I really wish all three systems would report the actual download speed / estimated time remaining on these downloads - I'm getting about 1 coin/minute, and haven't hit a block yet, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

I'm guessing all the Metroid fans have completely swamped the servers - which is something I hope Nintendo takes notice of. (I don't remember it happening with anything else on VC)
This is the first time Super Metroid has been distributed since it was released for the SNES. Nintendo announced its upcoming release two weeks in advance. Of course the servers are going to get swamped

Ranger X

Super Metroid... omg.

One of those extemely rare games that don't really have any major flaws.
This one is a true classic. It aged super fine, the controls are tight, the level design is ace, the ambiance is very well done, the soundtrack is still good even today.

This game can be loved with nostalgia or without. It's the true experience and the best Metroid game to date. BUY IT.
We have to show the world that it's Metroid games like that they should give us and not Prime 4. BUY IT.

tks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hmmm good times for you people.... I rebought it for SNES last year and it still held my attention like no other. Still atmospheric and very quality.

Ranger X

Oh i am buying it only because i'll be able to play it in Component Cables tks to the Wii.

Yes, it's that good. My SNES is still plugged in and my Super Metroid cartridge is at hand but i don't care.

andrewfee said:

Took me less than 30 seconds.

Each block is 30% or so.

Ranger X said:
Oh i am buying it only because i'll be able to play it in Component Cables tks to the Wii.

Yes, it's that good. My SNES is still plugged in and my Super Metroid cartridge is at hand but i don't care.

Exactly the same for me. I've played it through several times, and my system and cart work fine (original save still intact), but I'm still buying.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I own the cart, I still have my snes (not hooked to my TV though) but I'm going to buy it and finish it again because SUPER METROID IS A GREAT GAME, A GREAT GAME IS SUPER METROID.

Just hearing the "The last Metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace" line from the game intro on the Metroid retrospective on GT gave shivers and made me remember what a great game it is.

JUST GOT BACK FROM CLASS, IT'S DOWNLOADING, IT'S DOWNLOADING WE HAVE DOWNLOAD THE BEST METROID GAME IS IN CAPTIVITY MY WII IS AT PEACE

donny2112

Alkaliine said:
In summary: When this game hits the VC in a mere few hours time, you have no other choice but to buy it. If you don't have money, then get some. If don't have have wifi, then get it. If don't have a wii, then buy one. This game MUST be played by every single person on earth who considers them a fan of gaming. If gaming was sex, Super Metroid would surely be the orgasm. The best part of it is, there's more than one orgasm to be found in this game. A LOT more.

BUY. THIS. GAME.

SoAwesome.gif

Stapler Gonzales said:
And you're spot on it being the best game ever, had I not already had it I would've bought it in a heart beat.

This will be the first, and maybe only, game I buy on VC that I already own. Doesn't Super Metroid deserve to be bought twice? :)

Leondexter said:
Today marks the beginning of a mission--to convince every Gaffer to download and play this classic, enduringly superior game.

Yes, sir! :D

Banned
...and that's it failed three times now, after hitting the first block. :(

I wonder what the problem is, as I've had no problem downloading plenty other VC titles. (and it takes the points off you when you start the download, rather than when you finish so I don't want to touch anything)

Ranger X

Don't listen to this shit Nintendo. Remember which one sold more.

Sales means shit. Sales doesn't equal quality and this stand for any product. General public taste IS shit. Dumbed down shitty non-taste.
Prime is a great game mind you.

I hope to feel a joy akin to all you SM virgins when I buy a 360 and download SOTN. I played SM 6 years after it was released and it was still one of the most incredible and perfect gaming experiences I've ever had.

God is trying his best. First I have to sit through class and then when it finishes downloading, my Wiimote's batteries die completely and I have no extras and I don't have a vehicle on campus. But that's okay because there are these really hot Austrailians living below me so uhm I'm gonna go ask if they have any AA's.

CajoleJuice said:
I hope to feel a joy akin to all you SM virgins when I buy a 360 and download SOTN. I played SM 6 years after it was released and it was still one of the most incredible and perfect gaming experiences I've ever had.

You should, SOTN is incredible. The art design, music, atmosphere, content, bosses, gameplay... fuucck.

oracrest

to this day, this game is one of the finest examples of delivering an experience, atmosphere and story through the unique advantages of a game..... real time, interactive scripted narrative.

The epicness of the ending sequence of this game.... considering what had come before it, is nothing short of artistic.

I wish this philosophy and application of game narrative would be more universally adopted in gaming, and we could do away with this frankenstein-esque method of cut-scenes.

ex0du5

Banned
brandonh83 said:
God is trying his best. First I have to sit through class and then when it finishes downloading, my Wiimote's batteries die completely and I have no extras and I don't have a vehicle on campus. But that's okay because there are these really hot Austrailians living below me so uhm I'm gonna go ask if they have any AA's.

You should, SOTN is incredible. The art design, music, atmosphere, content, bosses, gameplay... fuucck.

Your words are as empty as your soul!

brandonh83 said:
I doubt I'm going to be as awe-inspired though. SM was the first Metroid I had ever played. SOTN will be the 6th or 7th installment of CV that I've played. Also, the two games are always compared and held-up as examples of 2D gaming perfection. Whichever one is played first is going to elicit more of a reaction. No doubt it'll still be fuck awesome though.

CajoleJuice said:
I doubt I'm going to be as awe-inspired though. SM was the first Metroid I had ever played. SOTN will be the 6th or 7th installment of CV that I've played. Also, the two games are always compared and held-up as examples of 2D gaming perfection. Whichever one is played first is going to elicit more of a reaction. No doubt it'll still be fuck awesome though.

Well, here's hoping you have a good experience with it. I don't know though, I mean SOTN was a lot different than the CV's before it... or do you mean you've played other Metroidvanias? If that's the case, I can see not being as super-impressed as the crowd that played it when it was first released, but what you'll be doing instead is playing the best iteration of that formula.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
oracrest said:
to this day, this game is one of the finest examples of delivering an experience, atmosphere and story through the unique advantages of a game..... real time, interactive scripted narrative.

The epicness of the ending sequence of this game.... considering what had come before it, is nothing short of artistic.

I wish this philosophy and application of game narrative would be more universally adopted in gaming, and we could do away with this frankenstein-esque method of cut-scenes.

now these, these are words of truth. Story through gameplay, the way it should be.

Thaedolus

GitarooMan said:
I envy people who have never played it through and get to play it for the first time.

Same here. I know this game like the back of my hand, it's seems like a total waste to buy it again. Yet, I'm tempted simply because I want to help boost the numbers for Nintendo to see 2D Metroid is still popular...

Jiggy

In the VC thread I called this one of my SNES Quartet of Sidescrolling Awesome, but when I think of it, that's kind of a misnomer. The four games I'm talking about--Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Super Metroid--may have happened to be on the SNES, but in truth they're still my four favorite sidescrolling experiences across all gaming platforms, 12 years after the last of them (KSS) was released, with only a couple of the Metroidvanias coming close to the lowest of them (DKC2). And I say this as someone who had a 2D FTW avatar for a while, and who genuinely values 2D and continues to buy at least 75% 2D games today, not one of those modern types who started with PS1 or Xbox and thinks of 2D as some sort of retro novelty that gets shortchanged on gameplay or value.

Super Metroid specifically is almost as close to being technically flawless as a game can get, and of my Quartet it's the clear best single-player experience. The only thing it could possibly have done better than it did--again, on a technical level--would be to allow double-tap as a dash button, or simply keep running turned on at all times as Zero Mission did. As it is, I tend to map the dash button to L or R and just use the D-pad for angle down shots. (Angle up shots are more important most of the time.) Other than that, the controls are as tight and smooth as one could possibly hope for, like a thrice-refined Mega Man game (and I love Mega Man), and if you die you will know that it's your own fault.

On a non-technical level--well, I can't top Sharp's quoted post, and dare not try. The atmosphere is incredible to a degree rarely replicated even today (atmosphere being one of the few things that 3D really does do better than 2D, most of the time), and the general experience of Super Metroid is superb. What oracrest said is also correct: conveying the story with interactive experiences is one of the greatest ideas any developer at Nintendo ever had; and I would add that Super Metroid had the greatest execution of that idea.

If you've already played it, I don't need to sell you on it. You're probably already sold. But if you haven't, heed the advice of everyone in the thread. This is not a case of GAF overhype. Super Metroid is the real deal.

brandonh83 said:
Well, here's hoping you have a good experience with it. I don't know though, I mean SOTN was a lot different than the CV's before it... or do you mean you've played other Metroidvanias? If that's the case, I can see not being as super-impressed as the crowd that played it when it was first released, but what you'll be doing instead is playing the best iteration of that formula.
Yea, I've played all the handheld Metroidvanias actually (also played III on NES). I enjoyed them all. It'll definitely be nice to play on a TV this time around.

Anyhow, I shouldn't be talking about SOTN. This thread is about Super Fucking Metroid.

If you've already played it, I don't need to sell you on it. You're probably already sold. But if you haven't, heed the advice of everyone in the thread. This is not a case of GAF overhype. Super Metroid is the real deal.

Why read the Bible when I can just read the post above this one?

Yea, I've played all the handheld Metroidvanias actually (also played III on NES). I enjoyed them all. It'll definitely be nice to play on a TV this time around.

Ah okay, well you're still going to have a hell of an experience, I have little doubt. Again, it's the best of the Metroidvanias (though in some ways, SOME, I prefer Dawn of Sorrow).

Anyhow, I shouldn't be talking about SOTN. This thread is about Super Fucking Metroid.

Which I can't wait to get started on after I find some batteries. :lol

Synless

Wow, that downloaded so fast it was done in about 10 seconds, and does anyone agree with me that this game with the wavebird kinda sucks, the buttons are to oddly placed to do things like fast running shooting then jumping.

traveler

Not Wario
brandonh83 said:

You see, that's the problem I had. I lost interest in SOTN extremely fast despite the fact I'd never played it. I knew it was the "best iteration" of the formula or whatever, but that really doesn't matter when you've already played the formula (albeit in slightly lesser forms) over and over again. I'm just hoping I don't have this problem with Super Metroid.

Top Bottom