• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

Sharp

Dartastic said:
Ok. So now I'm freaking stuck. I've been exploring Maridia, but I need to get into the lower right corner of the map so I can work my way to the boss. I just got eaten by a crab claw thing when I just came in from the top right, and at the bottom of the sand the right door is blocked. That's the only place that I can think of going, and it's greyed out. Help?
Thing is, that's not the way to the boss :).
Try the upper right instead, learn to love your grappling beam and explore. More specifically, use your grapple beam in the big room on top of Maridia and go even further right. Once you're there, stay in that area. I guarantee you you'll find what you're looking for if you keep at it.

Dartastic

Sharp said:
Thing is, that's not the way to the boss :).
Try the upper right instead, learn to love your grappling beam and explore.

BTW kejardon says Supers do only 300 points of damage each, which makes them even less attractive. But you can still do them fast enough that it's worth dumping as many as possible into Ridley.

Oh man. I'm going to go up against RIDLEY NOW? He's one of the hardest, right? Guh.

tnw

Banned
I can only think of a few places in Maridia where you would be stuck. From the broken tube, go up to the middle door (getting the missle if you want) Go up to the next screen. In the flat area, charge your shinespark. Jump up to the platform on the right, and shinespark diagonally right. You land at a door on the upper right. From there, go down (there are some nice items up, but nothing necessary) you'll come to a large room. Use a power bomb to go down, and then wall jump up to the door above you. use your beam and speed dash to get through this room, and you'll meet the mini boss. After you beat him. speed dash across the sand in the next room, charging a shine spark before you enter the next room. shinespark diagonally up when you enter the room, and go right. Get through the next room (the grapping hook isn't necessary btw), and go into the super missle door in the bottom right. Fall through the floor, and you will confront draygon/space jump. If you want the morphball jump, back track to the room you speed dashed over the quicksand. Do so, but this time, stop at the very end of the quicksand. Collect the energy tank if you want, and fall through the sand. Exit to the left, and go to the bottom right of the next room. Shoot out the floor and fall through the first quicksand area. go to the right, and shoot out the grappling beam block in the middle of the room. It will disappear, and you can go up then down. Equip power bombs before going into the next room, and use on immediately to let the monster eat through all of the sand to get the morphball jump. Back track all the way to the left to exit maridia. (the plasma beam is somewhat on the way out of maridia, power bomb the room just to the right of the sand/mini draygon area. you'll be 'warped' to a area higher up in the level. Use your space jump/wall jump to get into the awkwardly placed room to the lower rightish.

Sharp

Dartastic said:
Oh man. I'm going to go up against RIDLEY NOW? He's one of the hardest, right? Guh.
No you're not, I was responding to a much earlier post, but then I remembered that Ridley takes double damage against Supers.

Dartastic

Sharp said:
You got there without space jump? Very nice!

Yeah, I did. I've actually gotten pretty good at wall jumping. :D Those bugs at the top gave me some problems though. Silly question though; I know how to shinespark upwards, but how do I spark to horizontally and diagonally?

Sharp

Dartastic said:
Yeah, I did. I've actually gotten pretty good at wall jumping. :D Those bugs at the top gave me some problems though. Silly question though; I know how to shinespark upwards, but how do I spark to horizontally and diagonally?
After you've charged your shinespark, somersault jump, then press L or R to begin your spark. After that, you have about a second (I think? Maybe a little less) to decide which direction you want to spark in; press the jump button, then press left or right (horizontal), up (vertical), or whichever button you have assigned to "aim up" (diagonal) and you should start sparking. I should warn you that it may be press the direction, then jump, though; I've done it so much that I don't really pay attention anymore.

Dartastic

Sharp said:
After you've charged your shinespark, somersault jump, then press L or R to begin your spark. After that, you have about a second (I think? Maybe a little less) to decide which direction you want to spark in; press the jump button, then press left or right (horizontal), up (vertical), or whichever button you have assigned to "aim up" (diagonal) and you should start sparking. I should warn you that it may be press the direction, then jump, though; I've done it so much that I don't really pay attention anymore.

Sweet. Thanks! Although, I don't think that I need as much anymore, due to my just getting the Space Jump. :D :D Still, this game is SO deep!

tnw

Banned
you don't need to jump to change your shinespark direction. It all depends on the order you press the buttons. If you press jump and the a direction immediately after you should shine spark in that direction. To diagnol shinespark, just press aim diagonal up. (try it near samus ship!) There's nothing cooler looking than samus doing a horizontal/diagonal shinespark. :D

Sharp

tnw said:
you don't need to jump to change your shinespark direction. It all depends on the order you press the buttons. If you press jump and the a direction immediately after you should shine spark in that direction. To diagnol shinespark, just press aim diagonal up. (try it near samus ship!)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that way. I always jump for some reason.

Sharp

GaimeGuy said:
so... do you guys play with the moon walk on or off? :D
Off. It's such a bizarre feature that I've never really found the need to use it, plus Samus moves really slowly when it's on. I honestly think R&D1 just included it as a private joke of some sort.

alex1893

well, I think I'm stuck... here's the location (shitty mobile cam pics):

sqpc9g.jpg

w9fgag.jpg

this bird-like thing jumps up like crazy to reach the top of that shaft... I don't have the space jump and I'm not very good at wall jumping, so is there another way out?

Capndrake

Move as far left as possible, then run right (You know there's a run button, right?). When you start flashing, squat, then stand at the bottom of the shaft, jump, and hold up.

Narag

alex1893 said:
well, I think I'm stuck... here's the location (shitty mobile cam pics):

sqpc9g.jpg

w9fgag.jpg

this bird-like thing jumps up like crazy to reach the top of that shaft... I don't have the space jump and I'm not very good at wall jumping, so is there another way out?

You should have the speed booster at this point. Watch what the bird does and repeat its actions.

Run until you're glowing, press down to crouch, then jump. You should go all the way up through the shaft if i remember right.

alex1893

thanks!

damn, so obvious afterwards. Only tried running after him and just pressing jump before, saw him crouching but didn't think of doing this myself.

Vlad

Narag said:
You should have the speed booster at this point. Watch what the bird does and repeat its actions.

Run until you're glowing, press down to crouch, then jump. You should go all the way up through the shaft if i remember right.

It's been a long time since I've played the game, but if I remember correctly, don't you need the speed booster to even get down there?

Top Bottom