• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

ratcliffja said:
Sadly, that is the one save spot that you can't escape from. Once you've saved there, you have to start all over again to get a higher completion percentage.

That's...awful. I mean, I'll replay it again because it's awesome, but what an oversight.

Christine

Holy crap. 100% completion in this game is a nightmare.

I'm trying to get a missile expansion on the far left side of Maridia. It's easy to spot, it's high up in a tall room, encased in a rock platform. The only way to get it is to break the speed booster blocks directly below the expansion.

This basically means that you have to do the SHINESPARK FROM HELL. As far as I can tell, you've got to go into the next room, open a super missile gate to clear enough room to run, speedboost through the door, shinespark, spin jump over a pit, and then activate the shinespark with no horizontal error - the breakable section is only 1 block wide and you'll hit an obstacle on the way up if you miss.

Figuring this out was mildly entertaining, but executing it is frustrating and boring. Anybody got any tips for timing/execution? (Or please god, an alternate method that's easier?) It's really a pain in the ass, especially since each attempt costs a super missile.

TheGreatDave said:
All I did was go in the room to the right, use the super missile on the switch, kill all the enemies in there. Tbahen open the door ck to the main room, ran all the way to the right, ran to the left and just before you get to the door press down and start glowing. Quickly run through the door while you're still glowing, get in position. I found it was right on top of a piece of grass (or something) on the floor, so you can get in position based on that.

Okay, I'll start the shinespark before going through the door and keep an eye out for that landmark. Thanks.

TwinIonEngines said:

I'm trying to get a missile expansion on the far left side of Maridia. It's easy to spot, it's high up in a tall room, encased in a rock platform. The only way to get it is to break the speed booster blocks directly below the expansion.

This basically means that you have to do the SHINESPARK FROM HELL. As far as I can tell, you've got to go into the next room, open a super missile gate to clear enough room to run, speedboost through the door, shinespark, spin jump over a pit, and then activate the shinespark with no horizontal error - the breakable section is only 1 block wide and you'll hit an obstacle on the way up if you miss.

Figuring this out was mildly entertaining, but executing it is frustrating and boring. Anybody got any tips for timing/execution? (Or please god, an alternate method that's easier?) It's really a pain in the ass, especially since each attempt costs a super missile.

All I did was go in the room to the right, use the super missile on the switch, kill all the enemies in there. Tbahen open the door ck to the main room, ran all the way to the right, ran to the left and just before you get to the door press down and start glowing. Quickly run through the door while you're still glowing, get in position. I found it was right on top of a piece of grass (or something) on the floor, so you can get in position based on that.

jman2050

TwinIonEngines said:

See the little piece of grass/seaweed on the ground where you need to shinespark? That represents where you need to shoot up to get the missile.

Thaedolus

Make sure you duck before you hit the door. That was always my problem. You'll stay shine sparked long enough to get into the next room and then jump at the weed like the above poster said. It's not too bad. Doing the ultimate shine spark thing in Fusion, now that was a bitch.

I keep seeing as kind of speed blocks in Zero Mission and don't have the faintest idea how I'm supposed to be able to get in position. Many of the advanced Metroid techniques still confuse me greatly.

I never played the game before and I don't have a classic controller; what is the best button configuration to play the game on GC controller? I found the default jump/shoot awkward.

Red Scarlet

An alternate method is to jump up to the 2nd door on the right in the room, walk a step, hold run to get a charge, then jump over the first little platform and spark when you are by the second one little platform. It's more advanced, but you can stay in the same room and it takes less time to try. One of my avatars is a small version of that:
smmmsm.gif

You don't have the little plant to guide you though. Jumping up instead of down is better, too.

Aeana

Naked Snake said:
I never played the game before and I don't have a classic controller; what is the best button configuration to play the game on GC controller? I found the default jump/shoot awkward.

A - jump, B - shoot, X - dash, Y - item cancel worked well enough in the limited time I spent trying it out. I managed to beat the final boss with that setup, though.

Christine

GC controller? Put Icon cancel on Z, and arrange the face buttons so that run is adjacent to both jump and shoot. It's less essential that jump and shoot be adjacent to each other than that they are both adjacent to run.

And then cry because you're using the shitty D-pad or an analog stick.

Red Scarlet said:
An alternate method is to jump up to the 2nd door on the right in the room, walk a step, hold run to get a charge, then jump over the first little platform and spark when you are by the second one little platform. It's more advanced, but you can stay in the same room and it takes less time to try. One of my avatars is a small version of that:

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/avatars/smmmsm.gif

You don't have the little plant to guide you though. Jumping up instead of down is better, too.

That's awesome. What do you mean by "jumping up instead of down is better", though?

Naked Snake said:

I'd say have jump on A, shoot on B, Dash on R, aim up on L, select on Y

Red Scarlet

To do a Crystal Flash, you have to have 49 or less energy, no energy in your reserves, and at least 10 missiles, 10 supers, and 11 power bombs. Select power bombs, then morph and hold down on the dpad+shoot button+aim up button+aim down button.

I think on the original you had to keep aim up and aim down at L and R for it to work, don't know if they changed that on the VC release.

1up

TwinIonEngines said:

Okay, I'll start the shinespark before going through the door and keep an eye out for that landmark. Thanks.

The shine sparks in Super Metroid are nothing compared to Zero Missions. Like seriously, the supermissle tank in Brinstar near the very begginning requires two. Then later when you get the gravity suit the last energy tank takes conserving a shine spark for a good 20 seconds.

::EDIT:: Found youtube of it being done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYWaYGQmgk

ruffles

I wasn't aiming for 100% completion, but I just had to get that hard ass missile expansion in Maridia. Took me well over half and hour but I finally got. I beat the game today It took me 11:20 hours of play time and 75% completion.

Sullichin

TwinIonEngines said:

Just got that expansion :D

Ugh, I went into a room that had a power bomb and missile expansion, and the only way out was through the quicksand at the bottom. Now i'm nowhere near where I want to be and I don't know how to get back unless I enter Maridia from the cracked tunnel again :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
1up said:
The shine sparks in Super Metroid are nothing compared to Zero Missions. Like seriously, the supermissle tank in Brinstar near the very begginning requires two. Then later when you get the gravity suit the last energy tank takes conserving a shine spark for a good 20 seconds.

::EDIT:: Found youtube of it being done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYWaYGQmgk

that one fucking killed me. I hate shinesparking for long times. The excessive amounts of precise button combinations makes me nervous as hell. After I got that one and the 100% I said: never again.

Red Scarlet

Sullichin said:
Just got that expansion :D

Ugh, I went into a room that had a power bomb and missile expansion, and the only way out was through the quicksand at the bottom. Now i'm nowhere near where I want to be and I don't know how to get back unless I enter Maridia from the cracked tunnel again :(

Right beside where you fell out of the quicksand is a long vertical tube that takes you back up by where you first fell into the sand. Look for it on your map.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
on the subject of zero mission: I'm doing a 15% run and I'm stuck on bitch Ridley. He's hard with only 2 supers and 1 missile pack. I can shoot his fireballs all right, but he hits me often enough to send my 3 energy tanks flying. Hard

Lynnfire

Question about the *buzzing* in MP 1 and 2...Do you need to keep the HINT option turned on for it to buzz? I haven't actually played either of the two games with it turned on. I like turning it off as soon as I begin.

Red Scarlet

The buzz still happens with or without hints on. It may be hard to hear or notice if you have sound effect volume lower than music volume. Stand in front of a powerup, then turn the music all the way down and you'll know what to listen for.

Sharp

I got Super Metroid pretty much the moment I got home from vacation. The reason I haven't been posting on GAF much is because I've been alternating between playing it, Frets on Fire and reading the hilarious NPD thread. It is still unquestionably brilliant!

Re: shinesparking, for those of you who want to get really crazy with it, there is a technique called "short charge." The goal of the short charge is to charge up a shinespark with the mimimum required running distance. The first part, as Red Scarlet said, is to walk a step before holding down the run button, but stuttering in the direction you wish to run (rapidly on and off, though not as frequently as a turbo controller would) makes it take even less distance. To make it take even less space, try pressing the run button just four times--time it so that when Samus's "front" foot hits the ground, you press the button. If done successfully you can potentially save over ten tiles of running distance! The timing is tricky but it's very rewarding; it opens up a ton of sequence breaks that otherwise might elude you. In this particular instance, you can short charge on the bottom of the room in Maridia and make it all the way to the top.

Lynnfire

What buzz is that then? I could swear that I've never heard a buzz. Ill go start a new game and see if I can hear anything. Hopefully I can hear it this time. It should help me get those last few items I am missing in both the games.

OR....I could stay oblivious to it and wait until I finish Prime 3 without knowing what the buzz is, and play through the game vanilla like that. I always liked having to search high and low for everything in the Metroid games (but with Prime 1 and 2, it has been a couple years now, and I still haven't found everything on my own).

Red Scarlet

It's some bweeeooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbweeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooor sound that gets louder the closer to an item you are. Put sound effect volume at 100% and music to 0% and you'll have an easier time item hunting. With sound effects at 100% or lower and music at 100%, the buzz sound is easy to miss unless an item is right next to you.

Lynnfire

Ohwait....after a little pondering, I think I know what the buzz is now. I always thought that it was just an ominous, atmospheric sound accompying items. Kind of like the "item room" music from previous games, just in sound effect form.

Evlar

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
It's some bweeeooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbweeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooor sound that gets louder the closer to an item you are. Put sound effect volume at 100% and music to 0% and you'll have an easier time item hunting. With sound effects at 100% or lower and music at 100%, the buzz sound is easy to miss unless an item is right next to you.
:lol That's a remarkably good representation of the sound.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
TheGreatDave said:
I keep seeing as kind of speed blocks in Zero Mission and don't have the faintest idea how I'm supposed to be able to get in position. Many of the advanced Metroid techniques still confuse me greatly.
Sometimes you have to carry a shinespark through a couple of rooms. The most important things to remember are 1) there is always running distance within a room or two of a speed booster block, 2) you can shinespark in morph ball, and 3) if you shinespark into a ramp, you'll continue running as if you're doing a speed boost, and you can press down again to get another charge going. Some of the shit in Ridley's Lair is especially devious.

Darunia said:
on the subject of zero mission: I'm doing a 15% run and I'm stuck on bitch Ridley. He's hard with only 2 supers and 1 missile pack. I can shoot his fireballs all right, but he hits me often enough to send my 3 energy tanks flying. Hard
If you stand between his claws and his tail (like actually on him), you won't get damaged. He slowly moves from one end of the room to the other, so you simply have to stay within that range and pound him with missiles. But don't hit him too hard or else he'll go berserk and kill you. Space your missiles (and especially super missiles) out so that he remains docile.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sullichin said:
Maridia is probably my least favorite area in the game.

Yeah mine as well, very confusing area. Still good though, just not as good as the other areas.

Sharp

Maridia is pretty awesome actually. Once you know your way around it's one of the best water-based areas ever. The nonlinear design is just ingenious; it's confusing only because it's so overwhelming, branching off so naturally into the rest of the world with several exits (one fairly secret) and tons of hidden passageways and rooms, elevators, and great creative, atmospheric elements like the creature that destroys the wall for you, the snails, the quicksand and... well, pretty much everything. Honestly it's probably my favorite environment in Super Metroid.

Linkhero1

Just beat this game today. It's now my favorite Metroid game now. Got 97% because I couldn't find three missiles. :( The boss fight was great and it surprised me that
A Huge Metroid, the one from the beginning of the game, helped me

Christine

Can super missile doors be opened from the wrong side?

Sharp said:
I'm assuming you're talking about the green gates? In that case, yes, technically you can open some of them from the (I believe) left side by going to the left edge of the screen and firing up. Or something. I wouldn't advise trying because it's pretty close to impossible to do consistently on a console. In practice, unless I'm forgetting something, they are unassailable from the wrong side.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Sharp

TwinIonEngines said:
Can super missile doors be opened from the wrong side?
I'm assuming you're talking about the green gates? In that case, yes, technically you can open some of them from the (I believe) left side by going to the left edge of the screen and firing up. Or something. I wouldn't advise trying because it's pretty close to impossible to do consistently on a console. In practice, unless I'm forgetting something, they are unassailable from the wrong side.

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
smmmsm.gif

I usually just fall down to the the grasslet below. It may cost another 1 or 2 seconds, and it might not look as cool, but it works.

And I love maridia. It's not really a cliche 'water' environment. The music and atmosphere is great. Love it.

Mar

Linkhero1 said:
Just beat this game today. It's now my favorite Metroid game now. Got 97% because I couldn't find three missiles. :( The boss fight was great and it surprised me that
A Huge Metroid, the one from the beginning of the game, helped me

It's the best boss fight ever in a video game, to this day.

Linkhero1

Mar_ said:
It's the best boss fight ever in a video game, to this day.
I agree. I've never had this much fun fighting a boss in a game for a long time. Usually they're really annoying or they're too easy. This fight was just right and it came with surprises.

I was disappointed in the bosses in Super Metroid to an extent. I played Fusion and Zero Mission first and while SM is much, much better, the bosses are totally easy compared to Fusions. I didn't die on one, on my first playthrough of the game ever.

Mar

TheGreatDave said:
I was disappointed in the bosses in Super Metroid to an extent. I played Fusion and Zero Mission first and while SM is much, much better, the bosses are totally easy compared to Fusions. I didn't die on one, on my first playthrough of the game ever.

Bosses don't need to be hard to be enjoyable. In fact I'd say the ones that make sense and reward you for knowing your shit, are better than the ones that kill you over and over until you learn the 'trick'. A boss fight should be a big cinematic experience that is thrilling from beginning to end. Not a death-fest of boredom and frustration.

That's usually how I think of things too, and I'm glad SM didn't ramp it up to a stupid difficulty, but it just seems like they could have been a bit harder. It may be that because I've played Metroid a lot more now than when I played Fusion I'm used to exploring and was more powered up I guess.

l_c

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
That's usually how I think of things too, and I'm glad SM didn't ramp it up to a stupid difficulty, but it just seems like they could have been a bit harder. It may be that because I've played Metroid a lot more now than when I played Fusion I'm used to exploring and was more powered up I guess.

hahahah, oh ralph.

tnw

Banned
Mar_ said:
Bosses don't need to be hard to be enjoyable. In fact I'd say the ones that make sense and reward you for knowing your shit, are better than the ones that kill you over and over until you learn the 'trick'. A boss fight should be a big cinematic experience that is thrilling from beginning to end. Not a death-fest of boredom and frustration.

Very true. But super metroid rewards you (perhaps unintentionally) for having skill. Quick killing kraid for example. It's so satisfying to do when you pull it off. :D

Sharp

tnw said:
Very true. But super metroid rewards you (perhaps unintentionally) for having skill. Quick killing kraid for example. It's so satisfying to do when you pull it off. :D
I spend for-fucking-ever trying to get the timing down on that one. Easily put over twelve hours into it. I still can't do it consistently unless I practice, either.

tnw

Banned
Sharp said:
I spend for-fucking-ever trying to get the timing down on that one. Easily put over twelve hours into it. I still can't do it consistently unless I practice, either.

Save states are my best friend :D

dyls

Back on the subject of difficult-to-attain missiles, there's a set in a the very left of Norfair that are a bitch. It's a shaft with platforms that break when you land on them, and the missiles are hidden in the wall directly across from where you come in at the upper right. Is there any (non-impossible) way to get this one without space jump? Wall jump doesn't work because of the platforms' proximity to the wall, and trying to freeze the Geemers(?) and jump on them is such a pain. I'm trying to keep my time under 2 hours on this playthrough, so I don't want to have to come back later.

Top Bottom