• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

It was and still is one of the finest games ever created. It hasn't aged a bit...infact current game design only makes you appreciate the thought that went into the construction even more.

In short, yes, you should definitely play it.

Nicktals said:
Quick question: I found Metroid fairly enjoyable (never finished it because i kept losing the pieces of paper I wrote the password on), but I never could get into metroid prime 1 or hunters. Should I still buy this game? I think I was mainly turned off by the perspective of the prime games. Just wondering if I should spend 8 bucks to try it.

BUY

Jiggy

Nicktals said:
Quick question: I found Metroid fairly enjoyable (never finished it because i kept losing the pieces of paper I wrote the password on), but I never could get into metroid prime 1 or hunters. Should I still buy this game? I think I was mainly turned off by the perspective of the prime games. Just wondering if I should spend 8 bucks to try it.
If Super Metroid isn't worth eight bucks, then not much in modern gaming today is even worth five. Buy it now!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dragona Akehi said:
Everyone that is stuck in Maridia (and I have to say this was an absolutely brilliant design move):
Power Bombs can blow up more than just blocks

I remember the TV commercial that aired for Super Metroid, which showed this being done, and that's where I learned to do it...

Red Scarlet

^ me too!

jman2050 said:
I'm almost positive that the item you didn't get is you-know-what (66), but with most speed runners I can never be too sure ;)

Yeah, I never got PB66.
If anything, the NBMB was my precursor (but it was pretty much slow overall and just a 'confirmation' of at least 72% was doable on the console).

Armitage

I always remember the
tube power bomb
thing, that's one of the things that just screams SUPER METROID. I've got about 2/3 of Maridia mapped, I just can't remember what to do next. I think I need the
space jump.

1up

djtiesto said:
I remember the TV commercial that aired for Super Metroid, which showed this being done, and that's where I learned to do it...

I too only got past that part due to the commercial. I know I would have been stuck for ages otherwise. :lol

tnw

Banned
Armitage said:
I always remember the
tube power bomb
thing, that's one of the things that just screams SUPER METROID. I've got about 2/3 of Maridia mapped, I just can't remember what to do next. I think I need the
space jump.

I can only think of a few places in Maridia where you would be stuck. From the broken tube, go up to the middle door (getting the missle if you want) Go up to the next screen. In the flat area, charge your shinespark. Jump up to the platform on the right, and shinespark diagonally right. You land at a door on the upper right. From there, go down (there are some nice items up, but nothing necessary) you'll come to a large room. Use a power bomb to go down, and then wall jump up to the door above you. use your beam and speed dash to get through this room, and you'll meet the mini boss. After you beat him. speed dash across the sand in the next room, charging a shine spark before you enter the next room. shinespark diagonally up when you enter the room, and go right. Get through the next room (the grapping hook isn't necessary btw), and go into the super missle door in the bottom right. Fall through the floor, and you will confront draygon/space jump. If you want the morphball jump, back track to the room you speed dashed over the quicksand. Do so, but this time, stop at the very end of the quicksand. Collect the energy tank if you want, and fall through the sand. Exit to the left, and go to the bottom right of the next room. Shoot out the floor and fall through the first quicksand area. go to the right, and shoot out the grappling beam block in the middle of the room. It will disappear, and you can go up then down. Equip power bombs before going into the next room, and use on immediately to let the monster eat through all of the sand to get the morphball jump. Back track all the way to the left to exit maridia. (the plasma beam is somewhat on the way out of maridia, power bomb the room just to the right of the sand/mini draygon area. you'll be 'warped' to a area higher up in the level. Use your space jump/wall jump to get into the awkwardly placed room to the lower rightish.

tnw

Banned
CHARGE BEAM

don't forget to collect the super missile in the upper right of that room. power bomb and collect

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so I finally got home from being out of town for a couple of days and just bought the greatest game ever made. Right now im playing with a gamecube controller (might buy a classic controller sometime). What is the best control setup?

Ranger X

Windu said:
so I finally got home from being out of town for a couple of days and just bought the greatest game ever made. Right now im playing with a gamecube controller (might buy a classic controller sometime). What is the best control setup?

The best control setup starts by using a Classic... :p

Nicktals said:

Super Metroid is the perfect refinement of the 2D Metroid formula. From what I can tell, you should have no problems enjoying this game.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ranger X said:
The best control setup starts by using a Classic... :p

Yeah I know I will probably get a classic controller sometime this week but right now I'm forced to use a gamecube controller, just wondering what the best setup is for it. :D

Jiggy

Windu said:
Yeah I know I will probably get a classic controller sometime this week but right now I'm forced to use a gamecube controller, just wondering what the best setup is for it. :D
I haven't tried this myself, but I'd go with X to jump, A to shoot, and L to dash. The D-pad is going to suck horribly, but at least X and A are very close to each other. That jump/attack setup works for Smash Bros, at least.

AniHawk

Downloading tonight. I have the cart, but I'd rather not hook up the ol' SNES. Plus it'd be nice to take my mind off certain events going on right now.

arab

when i was a young child, about 5 or so, i would rent this game every time i could because i thought the cover of the game was so fucking awesome and the game would be great. however, i didn't understand metroid gameply so i would play and not know what to do and have to return it. i did this for a year until i gave up.

i have just bought the game and now consider this to be my de-virginizing of super metroid.

R-User!

The Eatable Arab said:
when i was a young child, about 5 or so, i would rent this game every time i could because i thought the cover of the game was so fucking awesome and the game would be great. however, i didn't understand metroid gameply so i would play and not know what to do and have to return it. i did this for a year until i gave up.

i have just bought the game and now consider this to be my de-virginizing of super metroid.

cool, have fun dude!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.....KRAID. :D :D :D :D :D :D

(1st time playing...all I can say is wow.)

jetpacks was yes said:
You tap in the other direction first and then immediately press jump. Very easy to do once you figure this out.
The easiest way is to wait for the animation to change before pressing the jump button. I had a really tough time until I figured this out. You'll notice that she does a very brief slide along the wall when you tap the opposite direction. If you wait too long, she'll reverse direction and start coming back down. If you hit jump as soon as you see her slide along the wall, you'll do the wall jump.

schuelma said:
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.....KRAID. :D :D :D :D :D :D

(1st time playing...all I can say is wow.)

Wow, I came into this thread thinking it was the MP3 Official Thread, and i was so angry cause i thought i saw a Kraid in MP3 spoiler. I spit out my drink. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Armitage said:
I found my way out, but now I can't beat the fucking
golden chozo.
I don't remember the game being this hard!

Did you get the
plasma beam
back in
Maridia
? You can get it after the
space jump
. If you have the
plasma beam
he's an absolute joke. You'll also really want it for
Ridley
, because he's even harder.

Fuck, Ridley just raped me. I have plenty of missles/super missiles, but I jsut couldn't get enough good shots at him. That's an awkward room.

Do power bombs hurt him?

BrandNew said:
Fuck, Ridley just raped me. I have plenty of missles/super missiles, but I jsut couldn't get enough good shots at him. That's an awkward room.

Do power bombs hurt him?

It's a tough fight.

Power bombs DO hurt him.

Super Missiles are great to use - stand beneath him whilst crouching and just let lose. Also, try jumping into the air and then when falling down, shooting super missiles diagonally.

By the way, screw attack means fireballs don't hurt. :)

Ridley's supposed to rape you. He's by far the hardest boss in the game. I haven't died yet and am almost to him now, but I'm sure that will change when I get to him. I actually beat one of the bosses with 5 health left. One more hit and I was toast.

beef3483

Just beat it today. Great game. Probably the best 2D side scroller I've ever played (Mario notwithstanding). I sometimes have trouble going back and playing old games, but that was not the case for Super Metroid. It was cool to see the connections between Super Metroid and the Prime games.

Still-I am probably going to ridiculed for this-I think the Prime games were better. I found Super Metroid pretty easy(I only died once on Mother Brain) and very short, whereas Prime 1 & 2 where much longer and harder, and I like challenging games.

I can see why some traditionalists might not like the Prime games, though. Going to 3D does take away some of Metroids uniqueness. In the Prime games, I always thought that progression was very similar to the 3D Zelda games, in that you acquire new items and powerups to get further in the game. The 2D versions of said franchises are not similar at all; isometric perspective v. side-scrolling perspective.

But, IMO, 3D exploration > 2D exploration. There is much more to see and do in three dimensions. So even if the games are not as unique, the series is still better for the 3D jump.

Now, Metroid traditionalists, I eagerly anticipate your hate and vitriol.

beef3483 said:
Just beat it today. Great game. Probably the best 2D side scroller I've ever played (Mario notwithstanding). I sometimes have trouble going back and playing old games, but that was not the case for Super Metroid. It was cool to see the connections between Super Metroid and the Prime games.

Still-I am probably going to ridiculed for this-I think the Prime games were better. I found Super Metroid pretty easy(I only died once on Mother Brain) and very short, whereas Prime 1 & 2 where much longer and harder, and I like challenging games.

I can see why some traditionalists might not like the Prime games, though. Going to 3D does take away some of Metroids uniqueness. In the Prime games, I always thought that progression was very similar to the 3D Zelda games, in that you acquire new items and powerups to get further in the game. The 2D versions of said franchises are not similar at all; isometric perspective v. side-scrolling perspective.

But, IMO, 3D exporation > 2D exploration. There is much more to see and do in three dimensions. So even if the games are not as unique, the series is still better for the 3D jump.

Now, Metroid traditionalists, I eagerly anticipate your hate and vitriol.

I think Super Metroid is an absolute classic but like you I rather have the epic 3D adventure. Its the same way I feel about the Zelda games as well. The 2d games were excellent but the 3D ones are massive. Metroid Prime is about 20 hours of gaming heaven, SM is only about 6.

tnw

Banned
BrandNew said:

Do power bombs hurt him?

advice for beating ridley.

His sprite is only shaded black when you first enter the room. That means you can hit him with a power bomb if you lay it right away. You might be able to hit him with a second one. After that, it's better not to waste time with power bombs.

Try and stand at the VERRRRRY edge of the platform while he bounces on his tail. You'll be invincible and you can just shoot missles up at him. If you can stay out of the lava all the better, but don't worry to much about standing in there, and just pummeling him with super missles. Morph ball roll to the other side when he changes directions. occasionally he'll stop bouncing on his tail and fly around.

Ridley won't die (I think) until he holds you and explodes. So even if you've hit him enough, he'll still fly around until he can hold you. try and make sure he can hold you so you don't waste a lot of missles/energy when he's techinically already dead.

I JUST finished Metroid Prime (haven't bought 2 yet but I'll be getting 3 day one) and while the first is a great game on it's own merits, I feel it's the only 1 of Nintendo's classic 3 franchises (Metroid, Zelda, and Mario) to not truly inherit the series' future. When it comes to Mario or Zelda, people expect the console-side games to be massive, innovative, and expansive 3D games. Their 3D transitions were overwhelmingly accepted. However with Metroid Prime, it feels like they lost that unique experience that was only available in the 2D Metroid games.

When playing the latter 2D Metroids (Super, Fusion, Zero), Samus controls so well that theirs almost something soothing and relaxing about playing the game. By the end of the game you can zip around so well that you feel totally connected to Samus and the world is at your command. It's one of the most intimate gaming experiences out there. However with Prime, it feels like they made the experience overly gritty/"hard." Just look at a run through Magmoor and see what it takes to get through: spider ball, grappling, wave beam, morph ball, space jump, etc. The environments themselves fit better into the worlds they're placed in, but it feels like the levels are done to do everything in their power to slow you down. Not to mention that putting it in first person adds things like blind spots, slower platforming, closed-in vision, etc. As much as I disagree with Igarashi's thoughts on Castlevania, his understanding (IN WORDS) of the different experience between 2D and 3D is perfectly exemplified with 2D Metroid/Prime.

Honestly to hate on Prime for not providing the same experience as a 2D iteration is to hate on all the things it does right. Taking in the environment in the 2D games is nearly a passive trait as you'll notice the little things as you pass by, but it won't necessarily make you stop in your tracks. With the 3D games, it's so much about the environment and looking around as oftentimes you'll need to do so to progress further. Not everything is in line of sight. The experience in general is top notch in Prime, with great music, artwork, and atmosphere. However I think a little part of Metroid was lost when the experience went from nearly an unconscious/passive one to one that is actively put upon the player.

Nicktals

Banned
Alright, well I just got out of work and decided to take the advice of GAF and download it. I'm a little weary of how much I'll enjoy it, but I have tomorrow off and all day to play so I'll post impressions!

Oh my god! If you charge up and then go into morph ball form, you drop five bombs. I've played the game three times or so and didn't know that.

beef3483

EphemeralDream said:
I JUST finished Metroid Prime (haven't bought 2 yet but I'll be getting 3 day one) and while the first is a great game on it's own merits, I feel it's the only 1 of Nintendo's classic 3 franchises (Metroid, Zelda, and Mario) to not truly inherit the series' future. When it comes to Mario or Zelda, people expect the console-side games to be massive, innovative, and expansive 3D games. Their 3D transitions were overwhelmingly accepted. However with Metroid Prime, it feels like they lost that unique experience that was only available in the 2D Metroid games.

When playing the latter 2D Metroids (Super, Fusion, Zero), Samus controls so well that theirs almost something soothing and relaxing about playing the game. By the end of the game you can zip around so well that you feel totally connected to Samus and the world is at your command. It's one of the most intimate gaming experiences out there. However with Prime, it feels like they made the experience overly gritty/"hard." Just look at a run through Magmoor and see what it takes to get through: spider ball, grappling, wave beam, morph ball, space jump, etc. The environments themselves fit better into the worlds they're placed in, but it feels like the levels are done to do everything in their power to slow you down. Not to mention that putting it in first person adds things like blind spots, slower platforming, closed-in vision, etc. As much as I disagree with Igarashi's thoughts on Castlevania, his understanding (IN WORDS) of the different experience between 2D and 3D is perfectly exemplified with 2D Metroid/Prime.

Honestly to hate on Prime for not providing the same experience as a 2D iteration is to hate on all the things it does right. Taking in the environment in the 2D games is nearly a passive trait as you'll notice the little things as you pass by, but it won't necessarily make you stop in your tracks. With the 3D games, it's so much about the environment and looking around as oftentimes you'll need to do so to progress further. Not everything is in line of sight. The experience in general is top notch in Prime, with great music, artwork, and atmosphere. However I think a little part of Metroid was lost when the experience went from nearly an unconscious/passive one to one that is actively put upon the player.

This is where I think that starting points in a particular series molds expectations. I played Prime first and loved it, so my expectations are for all Metroid games to play similar to it. Nostalgia also plays a factor.

But, I have to disagree with you about Mario 64 "inheriting the series future". The first mario games asked you to get from a starting point to an ending point over a side-scrolling 2D world. The 3D Marios are more objective based. "Race koopa the quick to get a star" or something similar.

But Mario 64 is still a great game and my personal favorite. A series can change but still be good, as you inferred. In the end, it all comes down to personal preferance.

Edit: Also, I think the wiimote might address some of you pacing issues, as the game seems to be much more fluid with it from all personal accounts.

Sullichin

I feel like such a failure :( I don't remember where to go. I have the power bombs and I just blew up the glass to get into maridia. That's not where i'm supposed to go, though. I need the gravity suit (and grappling hook, I think) first... halp :(

fernoca

Farore said:
Plus 480p...
Yeah, those high-res 480p Super NES visuals!!.. :p

Anyway, loving it so far.. is kinda addictive..so I'll see how far I can go, since I'm usually slow with games (though slow in my case, is just "normal".. :| )

tnw

Banned
Sullichin said:
I feel like such a failure :( I don't remember where to go. I have the power bombs and I just blew up the glass to get into maridia. That's not where i'm supposed to go, though. I need the gravity suit (and grappling hook, I think) first... halp :(

if you're clever, you can get through the whole game without ever using the grappling hook.

but if you want to get it

from the top of upper norfair, go into the top supermissle door on the left. at the far left of the area, power bomb down below. follow the path left, fall down the next section, speed dash through the long area. at this point shoot a super missle down to fight crocomire. beat him and go left. go down, down the shaft. in the next screen power bomb the blocks, then speed boost run/jump all the way to the upper left of the screen. that's where the grapple is.

next make your way up near your ship. speed run through the blocks to the right. power bomb the door on the right, make your way across the water below with your grappling hook (or shine spark across the whole thing if you can). That should be enough to lead you to the gravity suit. Beat the boss at the bottom of the ship, then go to the top, go out left, missle through the ground to morph ball to the right underground, hop onto the chozo statue to walk you down through the spikes to lead you to the gravity suit

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Metroid did a much better job at adapting than Mario did. The environments in Zelda and Metroid translate perfectly to 3D, but the level design of Mario has changed irrevocably. It used to be a linear sidescroller. Now it's all a lot more open ended, and each level is its own mini world. One thing I didn't necessarily like about Mario 64 was that the game focused far too much on verticality. Because of that, there were too many instances where you could easily fall to your death, or at best, fall back to the beginning of the level. Certainly Metroid lost a lot of its seamlessness in its transformation to 3D, part inherent, part forced, but I do think Retro salvaged most of Metroid's best qualities. The level structure for one, is amazing, and that's possibly the most important part of the series. They have also taken the art direction to a whole new level. It might not be perfect, maybe not even the best hoped for, but it's an amazing game that carries over most of the great qualities of Metroid.

I do have to say though, with Echoes, Retro came so close to making it seamless. The levels all connected so you were never far from the next level. They got rid of most of those damned beam specific doors and pirates. But then they had to go and lock you in a room when you just wanted to move on. I hope they have finally ironed this out.

tnw

Banned
Mgoblue201 said:
Metroid did a much better job at adapting than Mario did. The environments in Zelda and Metroid translate perfectly to 3D, but the level design of Mario has changed irrevocably. It used to be a linear sidescroller. Now it's all a lot more open ended, and each level is its own mini world. One thing I didn't necessarily like about Mario 64 was that the game focused far too much on verticality. Because of that, there were too many instances where you could easily fall to your death, or at best, fall back to the beginning of the level. Certainly Metroid lost a lot of its seamlessness in its transformation to 3D, part inherent, part forced, but I do think Retro salvaged most of Metroid's best qualities. The level structure for one, is amazing, and that's possibly the most important part of the series. They have also taken the art direction to a whole new level. It might not be perfect, maybe not even the best hoped for, but it's an amazing game that carries over most of the great qualities of Metroid.

I do have to say though, with Echoes, Retro came so close to making it seamless. The levels all connected so you were never far from the next level. They got rid of most of those damned beam specific doors and pirates. But then they had to go and lock you in a room when you just wanted to move on. I hope they have finally ironed this out.

yeah, mario made a good transition somewhat initally with the limitations of the hardware, but I don't like the random aesthetic that has stayed with the game since. I miss there being solid worlds of things. I suppose the desert area of mario 64 would be a good example. Looking at all of the Mario galaxy screens, it all looks like random inchoate incongruous worlds all forced together. The galaxy idea has a lot of potential.

I dunno, I just think it would be so awesome to have super mario world SNES in 3D, like a cohesive world like that. As much as I don't like Metroid Prime, I will give you that my impressions of it anyway, it seems more cohesive.

Armitage

ZealousD said:
Did you get the
plasma beam
back in
Maridia
? You can get it after the
space jump
. If you have the
plasma beam
he's an absolute joke. You'll also really want it for
Ridley
, because he's even harder.

I have the
plasma beam.
I'm doing something wrong, because I've never had any trouble with this fight before.

Also:

Do we really have to spoiler stuff like
Ridley
? He's seriously like the first thing you see in the game.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm really bad at the combat in Super, so I tend just to load up on items and throw myself at the bosses, not worrying about my health at all. But you can usually tell when the statue's about to attack. Just don't let him trap you against the wall, and watch out for all of the long range attacks he shoots (which usually lasts longer than you think it will). Space jump is your friend here.

tnw said:
yeah, mario made a good transition somewhat initally with the limitations of the hardware, but I don't like the random aesthetic that has stayed with the game since. I miss there being solid worlds of things. I suppose the desert area of mario 64 would be a good example. Looking at all of the Mario galaxy screens, it all looks like random inchoate incongruous worlds all forced together. The galaxy idea has a lot of potential.

I dunno, I just think it would be so awesome to have super mario world SNES in 3D, like a cohesive world like that. As much as I don't like Metroid Prime, I will give you that my impressions of it anyway, it seems more cohesive.
I hope they go back to the unique style of the old games. Something like this:

super-mario-world.jpg

It gives the game personality. Actually, 3 and World's art in particular were very appealing. Mario 64 was kind of sterile (I blame the early N64 graphics), and Sunshine didn't have that same imagination. I like what I see from Galaxy so far. Something like clouds with eyes would even help.

But I guess I'm taking this thread off topic.

If not the best game ever, it would still be damn close. This game is a landmark of design (in all senses: game design, level design, visuals/audio) and holds up way better than several games released in the past 5 years. Super Metroid is also one of the most atmospheric titles you'll ever play. It's timeless and unparalleled, really.
Though I like Metroid Prime 1 just as much for whatever reason.

Core Zero

Pokeylongo said:
Oh my god! If you charge up and then go into morph ball form, you drop five bombs. I've played the game three times or so and didn't know that.

Try holding the down button down when you morph after charging, the bombs will get tossed farther.

So many nice touches to this game.

donny2112

beef3483 said:

But, IMO, 3D exploration > 2D exploration. There is much more to see and do in three dimensions. So even if the games are not as unique, the series is still better for the 3D jump.

Complete Super Metroid with 100% without using a guide and complete Metroid Prime 1 100% without using a guide. Then you can talk about 3D exploration vs. 2D exploration. IMO, 3D exploration is made easier by the fact that designers want you to find everything. They point it out, give hints as to where a hidden area is. Super Metroid does no such thing in the quest for 100%. 3D exploration could be better than 2D exploration, hypothetically, if they actually hid things in the 3D versions, but that's not the case comparing Super Metroid to Metroid Prime, IMO.

Top Bottom