• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't know if 2023 was the best gaming year ever, but it was certainly the most nostalgic for me

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
2023 is full of tons of nostalgia. The year kicks off with with Dead Space remake to experience that greatness all over again. Then Metroid Prime Remastered, which to me was a total nostalgia overload. Hadn't played that game in 20 years and it was a special nostalgia feeling playing that game again. Then even more nostalgia with the RE4 Remake. Then you can throw in smaller titles like Front Mission remake, System Shock, Baten Kaitos 1 and 2 remastered, Star Ocean 2, Advance Wars 1+2 Remasters, FF Pixel Remasters hitting console. Super Mario RPG comes out this week. I'm sure I'm even missing some. Even a game like The Talos Principle 2 while a new game has elements linked to the first game that brought the feels.

I had an absolute blast this year re-experiencing some classics redone. Looking forward to playing Super Mario RPG soon to top off the year on the nostalgia front.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You forgetting we also got Grimgrimoir as well, I enjoyed that game back in PS2 and enjoyed Once More version as well.
review-grimgrimoire-oncemore-remains-a-magical-game-3.jpeg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You forgetting we also got Grimgrimoir as well, I enjoyed that game back in PS2 and enjoyed Once More version as well.
review-grimgrimoire-oncemore-remains-a-magical-game-3.jpeg
Could’ve included MGS Collection too, but decided not to because of how much of a disaster that release has been, it’s probably ruin the experience of those games for some people lol.

SpiceRacz

2023 is not the best year ever for gaming. I think it feels like a better year for gaming than it actually is because it's coming off the back off Covid when dev cycles got thrown for a loop. The industry is back on track and a lot of games happened to land on this year because of that. With that said, I think there's a lot of highly rated games that came out this year and it's sort of misleading people into thinking this is an all time year for gaming when it's absolutely not. Some reviews feel inflated and some are totally worthy. I found a lot of games, even the ones I really enjoyed, to be mostly forgettable. Not a lot of stuff stuck with me and I'm willing to bet there are people that feel the same.

To your point though, it does feel like devs are tapping into the past better than I can remember. Whether it's remakes, remasters, or homages like Sea of Stars, as long as it's done in a way that doesn't feel sloppy or predatory, I'm all-in.

Top Bottom