• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Ninja Gaiden Black thread

Excelion

Banned
I cant get past chapter1 on very hard. It's frustrating, i'm not making any progress against those purple ninjas :( (i beat NG on very hard twice)

IJoel

Excelion said:
I cant get past chapter1 on very hard. It's frustrating, i'm not making any progress against those purple ninjas :( (i beat NG on very hard twice)

Damn...

It makes one wonder what awaits Master Ninja difficulty mode. Maybe Almas replace those brown clothed ninjas.

Krowley

IJoel said:
Damn...

It makes one wonder what awaits Master Ninja difficulty mode. Maybe Almas replace those brown clothed ninjas.

:lol that would be hilarious... i read somewhere that it is supposed to be the orange ninja's that set you on fire when they hit you.

you get to fight those in mission mode. they are beatable there, but i can't imagine how hard they would be if you had starting health and abilities. 1 hit would take about half your health (or maybe more?).

IJoel

WTF!!! Chapter 6's challenge on hard (the one with the transporting/flying things and the catwomen) didn't have 60, but 80 enemies. MY HANDS HURT! Holy crap, that was intense as heck. I had to go upstairs to deal with the teleporting thingies and then come back down to deal with the catwomen. It was just insane. 30 Teleporting bastards and 50 catwomen = pwn3d... all for a damn red orb.

*Shakes fist at Itagaki.*

Excelion said:
explosive bats hidden in chests :lol

Itagaki is a true bastard.

:lol

IJoel said:
WTF!!! Chapter 6's challenge on hard (the one with the transporting/flying things and the catwomen) didn't have 60, but 80 enemies. MY HANDS HURT! Holy crap, that was intense as heck. I had to go upstairs to deal with the teleporting thingies and then come back down to deal with the catwomen. It was just insane. 30 Teleporting bastards and 50 catwomen = pwn3d... all for a damn red orb.

Hah, nice preview, I'm right there close to when that challenge can be triggered. Clean upgrades in number of enemies per difficulty, 40 enemies on ND, 60 on Normal, 80 on Hard. Coincidentally, I decided to start up Hard right after finishing that challenge on Normal.

Excelion

Banned
I'm on very hard chapter 6 now, i just noticed i'm limited to 3x full health potions and 6x health potions. I have just enough money to upgrade my weapons, nothing else. Fire Ninjas + Cats are a deadly combos.

Future

Heh, read on another board that on Master Ninja mode the fishies kills you in one hit. Oh glorious future.

Just got done beating Alma2 on Hard mode. One of the most random difficult bosses ever. She dodges mostly everything, doesn't maintain a set pattern, has no obvious openings, minions are annoying as hell, dodge-rolling doesn't seem to always work in dodging some of her projectiles...on Very Hard/Master Ninja she's gonna be insane.

Mrbob

I feel so far behind! Haven't had much time to play the game lately, but miraculously I'm somehow on Stage 5 now. Been kicking some major ass ever since upgrading the Lunar Bo staff to level 2. Got my first taste of those damn cats, too. Ugh. But with the Lunar I can take them out pretty easy.

IJoel

I beat Alma on hard difficulty last night. It was pretty damn hard and took all of my potions. Now I worry I won't have enough for the journey ahead.

After this battle, I can definitely say that Alma on Hard difficulty makes Alma on Normal difficulty seem like a walk in the park.

IJoel

REPORT YER PROGRESS! :p

Chapter 10 in hard difficulty. I fear the upcoming Ryu vs. THE EVIL RYU DUO challenge.

Future

You should fear Alma2 even more. :)

Haven't started Very Hard yet and just strolling through the missions. Saw a new enemy that I never saw in Hard mode (some fiend with a huge sword like Cloud's in FF7) that beats my ass whenever I see it. God damn.

I also like how in the missions they can fit more guys on screen to fight you. Nothing like going against 6 black ninjas, 4-5 fiends or the bosses with even more minions.

Mrbob

Well, I've finally made it to stage 6 after all this time! :lol I think I should have replayed this game on normal first. Hard is kicking my ass and pushing me to my threshold of what I can endure! Fighting the evil Ryu fiend was a huge rush. Such an awesome battle. Flying around everywhere in the library duking it out! I think he killed me like 10 times before I beat him! But on the time I did beat him I kicked his ass! That is what I love about Ninja Gaiden. You get beat down and beat down and beat down but it never feels like the death is cheap. You realize if you can think faster and attack quicker you can win each battle! I just saved in the underground caverns at the moment. This should be interesting on Hard. :)

Anyone have tips on essence resourcing? I'm figuring later in the game I'm going to need all the money I can get so I wouldn't mind knowing a hot spot to get yellow essence quickly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You are entering one of the best sources of essence in the game. Ultimate techniques+zombie skeletons=99999 essence.

There is a fiend challenge down in the caverns you should take advantage of, kill 60 or 80 skeletons in the room with the holy grail(dunno exact number). Focus on the archers first, then just go nuts sitting back and charging Y to max, unleashing instant death on slow zombies(the flails are a bit more destructive than the sword or lunar fully charged given that you can bounce around to the different zombies taking out upwards 3 at a time). You'll collect huge Yellow balls of cash and eke out at least 20-30k from that challenge alone...if not a whole lot more. I mean when I finished it my essence was maxed and I had no clue how much I actually earned.

Oh and just completing the challenge nets a Thousand Gods upgrade IIRC. Make sure to try the library challenge JUST before fighting Alma a bit later as well. Kill the wraiths up top where the cats can't reach, and then just go lunar crazy down below.

Excelion

Banned
I didn't know there were a challenge in this room, too late i missed it :(

I'm on chapter 10 boss, trying to beat him without using all my potions, it's harder than in hard mode 'cause i dont have dabilaro yet. The second combat against Dark Ryu was a pain in the ass too, he is really strong with the bow. It took me at least 30 try but when i finally beat him, it was a perfect 6 izuna drop combos :lol

My xbox doesn't work anymore V_V

Don't know what happened. I just bought the thing a month + a week or so ago.

It just goes straight to the Xbox Live hub.

Oh well, I was able to sell Black to a friend for 40 bucks, he wanted the game and did me a favor, cool guy.

Man, I just bought it brand new too, fuck Microsoft.

Mrbob

C- Warrior said:

Oh well, I was able to sell Black to a friend for 40 bucks, he wanted the game and did me a favor, cool guy.

Why didn't you just exchange your Xbox for a new one? And you ripped off your buddy with Black. o_O

Krowley

i haven't been able to play much for the last couple of days, but i just now beat the first ryu fiend on hard...

He was a BITCH. I think i fought him 15+ times.. It was really fun though.. It almost reminded me of playing soul calibur or something, with all the give and take, and the dodging and blocking. It was very hard for either of us to land a hit on the other. His magic is a little bit cheap, partly because it was so strong, and partly because it seemed like he could cast it an unlimited number of times. the only way i could find to avoid it was using my own ninpo. sometimes i would run out and he would cast again, and i was pretty much toast. it was acceptable, but he was tough enough without it.

when i finally beat him, i only used one potion and right now i'm doing a pretty good job of rationing. I actually have more money and items right now than i did at this point on normal. I'm Having a great time so far. I FEAR "very hard" mode. Hard is giving me more than enough challenge right now, but i'm looking forward to it at the same time.

Mrbob

Grr. Fucking fish in the treasure chest! Damn you Itagaki, I gotta redo this section now as I don't want to waste one of my Talisman of Rebirths! :lol

IJoel

I'm currently playing through Chapter 10 on Hard and I am having a really hard time with those damn ghost piranhas. No matter what I do (tried the previous suggestions,) they just devour me. I have to always resort to the ninpo which annoys me because I try to avoid using it as much as possible to get the bonus points at the end of the stage. I'm also sort of farming essence in chapter 10 to max out the Lunar and Dabilahro and to get a good number of potions before moving on.

The piranhas in the hole that leads to the caverns made me waste my Talisman of Rebirth as I had completed beating the worm duo and was on my way back.

*shakes fist*

Mrbob

Yeah I just used my ninpo magic against the fish in level 10 too. I just fought evil fiend Ryu in level 10. Fun. :)

There is also a great way to get a ton of essence in level 10 too. There is the underground section where you have to fight all those little green bugs. If you take them all out you get a Talisman of Rebirth. But don't take them out. Kill them all until there are one or two left. If you go up and go back down they keep on respawning. Using my ultimate technique with my dragon sword you can net around 30-35K yellow essence in a session. Which takes around 5 minutes to complete. I used this to upgrade all my weapons to full strength, have full potions, rebirths, devil elixers. I never upgraded the wooden sword the first time, damn that cost a lot. This ultimate wooden sword better be good. ;)

Miroku

Finally had time to finish on Normal mode. The missions are SO HARD holy shit. I have beat the first 2, then tried #4, I think I killed around 80 enemies and it just keeps going! This is so much harder than the God of War Challenges.

I look forward to many hours of pain while finishing all this stuff, if I can ever get the skillz. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i'm on chapter 10 right now (i think)...haven't had much time for gaming this week but hot damn, those worms were fucking easy this time around. i had a hard time with them in the original on normal and hard mode, but i beat them both (single and double) on my first try on hard mode

and yeah, fucking piranhas...especially the ones that are hidden in chests!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
C- Warrior said:

I had my modded Xbox shipped to me in Japan...got it friday, hooked it up, and the mod chip didn't survive the trip. :/

The system still works normally, however that means I can't play Japanese games now. Does anyone know if NG Black is region free, by any chance?

Lyte Edge said:
I had my modded Xbox shipped to me in Japan...got it friday, hooked it up, and the mod chip didn't survive the trip. :/

The system still works normally, however that means I can't play Japanese games now. Does anyone know if NG Black is region free, by any chance?

Other than emulation, I don't think there were that many Japanese exclusive Xbox titles to warrant modding of the system.

And no, c'mon dude what's the matter with you? Of course Black isn't region free.

Just import a copy from the U.S or buy a japanese xbox...if you can find one.

CVXFREAK said:
Lyte Edge, you have the power to push Xbox sales above 100 in Japan! :lol

For motivation...do it...do it!!
xbox-japan.jpg

Excelion

Banned
Chapter 15 sub-Boss on very hard: a clone of Alma1 + a Demon girl using a whip + Satan, it's a miracle when i get to the third one and i cant beat him :lol

anyone have a tip to beat the Berserkers ? i watched a video of huricane pack 2, someone was using kitetsu xxy combo to beat them but it doesn't work in NG Black :(

Excelion

Banned
I wont even try to beat master ninja difficulty, the first chapter is full of fire ninjas :lol. Mission mode should be fun :)

Miroku

Anyone still playing?

I am wondering why I can't make an all-clear save game after finishing on Normal mode. I missed a scarab early on and I wanted to go get it in a continue game, but I cant seem to start one. The only thing I can think of is that my savegames from the original ninja gaiden have it confused or something. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyways, mission mode is so fun. Playing through the first 15 of those has raised my skill level so much that I could beat the first 2 levels on normal again with only using 1 small potion. Pretty amazing how rewarding this game is. It just keeps getting more fun! :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Man. I had NO IDEA that the Kitsune no longer took health while equipped. This was my favorite weapon and now I'm in combo heaven :D. I didnt know you could do the Swallow with it either. Just awesome.

PhatSaqs

Banned
moopie said:
Yet another ghost fish tactic... this one worked perfectly in the original, but I haven't gotten there in Black yet.
With the sword do the attack where you hit X the moment you land, then Y. That puts you into the air, then when you land do the exact same thing again over and over.
I found out the hard way that this no longer works in Black.

The best alternative method for me is to use the Lunar (level 3) and do F + X, X, X pause, repeat. There seems to be a moment of invincibility at the end of the last Lunar twirl. During this just do it again.

And the mission mode rocks. Shit is hard but it's fun.

Dracos

I just finished the game on Hard last night. Now to do the missions. I think I created some new cuss words during my play sessions, but damn I just couldn't put it down. Camera still sucks however.

Victrix said:
http://www.iberiansninjagaiden.com/

A lot of the videos are of the gimpy 'look at me cheese this boss with a stupid pattern' variety, instead of actual cool combo videos, but there are some good ones there

I could make some combo videos (I have the hardware/software to do so), but sadly, Ninja Gaiden doesn't have a combo system designed for free-form combo's. I can already tell you --you'll just see me do (XXX) roll/jump away then (XYXXY) roll/jump away (Y in air) roll/jump away (XXYYYY) roll/jump away etc. etc., it's too dial based and basic.

However I have created some kickass God of War and DMC ones, now those games have a combo system to actually bother making a video about. AKA free-form.

Ok, as someone that has never played Black before, but owns original NG...

...does Black give you the ability to play the original game, the hurricane packs, and the 'Black remix' version? I was thinking of selling NG and grabbing Black but I wouldn't want to sell the original if Black didn't have every option it had.

PhatSaqs

Banned
rusty said:
Ok, as someone that has never played Black before, but owns original NG...

...does Black give you the ability to play the original game, the hurricane packs, and the 'Black remix' version?
No.

Krowley

just figured i would update since this thread is back on the front page again.

i finally beat hard mode the other day. I had a tough time and ended up using lots of essence farming tricks because i was sucking potions like a fiend. Especially helpful was the trick mentioned above with the bugs in the aquaduct... i used a similair trick in the pyramid. So thanks for that.

The minions on the bosses weren't that tough most of the time, but on a few bosses it made them drasticly harder. Alma and Alma 2... the worm thing in the ice cave... doku and spirit doku.. on most of those bosses i ended up using almost every potion in my inventory, and i had to farm essence to replenish my supply.

My ranking online ended up very low, but overall it was a great expierience. I jumped in and tried very hard mode, and i think i could have made it to the first save point if i had been seriously playing. I'm taking a break from it for now but i will seriously tackle very hard at some point in the future.

best xbox game ever.

Daigoro

best xbox game ever indeed, and i dont even own it yet.

i finally repaired my xbox and im playing through the original again to warm up for Black.

ive neved downloaded any of the Hurricane packs, and ive mostly kept myself sheltered from all of the media around the packs and all of the goodies Black has in store for me.

this game has it ALL. great challenge, great atmosphere, great music and graphics, and fucking badass Ninjas galore. oh and big tittied monsters, devil bats, goddamned evil fish, etc.

it feels so good to be playing this game again. i cant wait to pick up Black. congrats to Excelion and whoever else has beaten Black on VH. that must feel like quite an accomplisment.

no one in their right mind can ever talk shit about Itagaki. this game solidifies his position as God of Developers.

Top Bottom