• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Ninja Gaiden Black thread

Krowley

lol, i was looking forward to trying master ninja mode, but it sounds like i will have to grit my teeth and pray just to get through hard mode :lol

Pachinko

Holy gods am I ever out of practice at this game. I only ever finished the regular one once but I don't recall the 1st boss being so hard to hit. Also stage 2 I recall finding somewhat easy when I first played the game, even beat the infamous demon horse without losing but now I'm getting my ass handed to me by some of the normal enemies....

The game itself is pretty good though, I'm not fond of the bo staff even though it looks cool it doesn't seem to get through to the enemies enough.

My only real big complaint is that EB gave me a copy right out of the shipment box and it was the game at the top when they cut the box open so nearly the entire box for the game is ruined. Exacto slash right in the middle.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Apparantly you can unlock mission mode by beating the game on Normal which is cool.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like Gamefaq's info on that is wrong, big shock there.

Krowley

Spruce Moose said:
How is the camera on this? That was my biggest enemy on the original.

if it's like the hurricane pack, it gives you access to a manual camera, but it's not really all that usefull because the game is too fast paced to make camera adjustments on the fly. it helps some in the platforming areas... for the nature of the game, clicking the trigger to move the camera behind the character was probably the best they could do, and it's still the best way to control the game.

I used the manual camera only a few times while playing the hurricane pack. You just have to learn to anticipate when enemies are going to come into the frame and be ready for them.

negitoro7

Pachinko said:
My only real big complaint is that EB gave me a copy right out of the shipment box and it was the game at the top when they cut the box open so nearly the entire box for the game is ruined. Exacto slash right in the middle.

Same. I have a ninja slash right down the middle of my case, wish I noticed it before leaving the store.
On the bright side, the new girl at my EB is sofa king cute. :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hard mode is pretty fun, took down the first boss without breaking a sweat, and the addition of minions in the fight made for opportune health recharges given how often Blue orbs seem to drop now.

The staff is umm...fun to use I guess, but really weak and limited in the beginning. The TNT-chucking ninjas now planted in the first level take oodles of hits before biting the dust.

I also forgot how punishing death can be in this game, I mean not even DMC3 would reload the -previous- chapter if you couldn't make it to the next savepoint after beating a stage. That's fucked up.

Future

Heh, black ninjas are a problem now cuz they throw you now. No more turtling against them. Seem to throw their stars a hell of a lot more too.

Just got to the tentacle dude...and actually died. Couldn't believe it. Swings his tentacles more often, and I think one regenerates if you don't take the other out. Fiends have more attacks now too.

Fun stuff. Old strategies not working and getting my ass kicked

PhatSaqs

Banned
Future said:
Heh, black ninjas are a problem now cuz they throw you now. No more turtling against them. Seem to throw their stars a hell of a lot more too.

Just got to the tentacle dude...and actually died. Couldn't believe it. Swings his tentacles more often, and I think one regenerates if you don't take the other out. Fiends have more attacks now too.

Fun stuff. Old strategies not working and getting my ass kicked
Yeah. i got my ass handed to me repeatedly by fat bastard. Never saw many of his attacks before since he was dead so quick before. Now he's a beast :lol

epmode

One thing that bugs me.. Seems that Intercept is no longer in the game at any difficulty level. That was my favorite addition from the Hurricane Packs and I'm a bit confused as to why it was removed. Unless it's just very well hidden.

Brandon F said:
Hard mode is pretty fun, took down the first boss without breaking a sweat, and the addition of minions in the fight made for opportune health recharges given how often Blue orbs seem to drop now.

The staff is umm...fun to use I guess, but really weak and limited in the beginning. The TNT-chucking ninjas now planted in the first level take oodles of hits before biting the dust.

I also forgot how punishing death can be in this game, I mean not even DMC3 would reload the -previous- chapter if you couldn't make it to the next savepoint after beating a stage. That's fucked up.
Less whining, more ass kicking. :)

Mrbob

Finally beat the stage 2 samurai boss after my 10th try! :lol

I kicked his ass too the last time. I may be getting some of my skills back. The great thing about this game is when you die you feel like it isn't because the game is cheap.

Looking over the rankings again today. Game has only been out for a little over a day and 19 people have already completed this game on Normal and 4 on Hard. Take it easy guys! :)

Mrbob

Excelion said:
no it's not here, that's why i'm surprised

Really? Wow. Did they move it?

Just got Level 2 Dragon Sword on Airship. This is more like it now! :) Slicing through the enemies like nothing!

Pachinko said:

They did the same thing to my Phantom Dust, and gave me a new box without any problems; Im sure they would do the same for your new NG.

epmode

Excelion said:
no it's not here, that's why i'm surprised
No, it really is there, I found it yesterday. You have to wall jump to the top of the alley and it's right next to the Xbox statue thing.

Excelion

Banned
I just got back, it's still not here. there's the altar where it's supposed to be, but it's empty :(

you're playing on hard mode right ?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mrbob said:
Really? Wow. Did they move it?

Just got Level 2 Dragon Sword on Airship. This is more like it now! :) Slicing through the enemies like nothing!
I betcha ten bucks fat bastard boss ownz your ass :lol

IJoel

Last night I got to the part in the caverns, in chapter 6, where the 3 skeleton archers show up successively. I had forgotten how damn annoying that part was. It was funny being owned by those bastards then later on beat Alma without breaking a sweat.

Mrbob

PhatSaqs said:
I betcha ten bucks fat bastard boss ownz your ass :lol

He already has a couple times. :/

I found this on the IGN Guides regarding the Arcade Ninja Gaiden. Small spoiler about the extras:

http://guides.ign.com/guides/745543/page_7.html

Arcade Ninja Gaiden Complete the game on Ninja Dog or Normal difficulty with the "Ninja Gaiden Arcade" item. Or, complete the game on Hard.

Looks like there is an item normal or ninja dog players can find. I have to finish this game on Hard, though!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I beat original NG on normal. Should my copy of NGB recognize this and allow me to play on Hard mode on NGB? I select new game and it takes me right into the opening vid of the sword. My saves are still intact from when I beat it. Did I need to beat NG on Hard to automatically unlock Hard in NGB?

IJoel said:
Last night I got to the part in the caverns, in chapter 6, where the 3 skeleton archers show up successively. I had forgotten how damn annoying that part was. It was funny being owned by those bastards then later on beat Alma without breaking a sweat.

Oh god, I forgot about that part too. That was also one of my most nightmarish areas where I must've died at least 20 times. I also beat Alma after only a couple tries. Ha.

Mrbob

DenogginizerOS said:
I beat original NG on normal. Should my copy of NGB recognize this and allow me to play on Hard mode on NGB? I select new game and it takes me right into the opening vid of the sword. My saves are still intact from when I beat it. Did I need to beat NG on Hard to automatically unlock Hard in NGB?

Ninja Gaiden Black scans your hdd when it first boots up. If you have a completed save file of NG on Normal the difficulty Hard on Ninja Gaiden Black will be open from the start.

Ironclad

I wish I hadn't gone with the cheapest shipping that Gamestop had. :(

Oh well, should have the game by Friday. Looking forward to having my ass handed back to me over and over again.

Pachinko

Well, unfortunatly I had to take a full refund on my copy of Ninja Gaiden Black. They had no replacement copy and the only boxes the dumbass at the store was willing to change with were preowned sticker covered games. His idiot female coworker also suggested that the problem was out of their hands. I just kept silent , got my refund and left.

Sadly this means I have to find another copy and apparently the other local EB is allready sold out.

IJoel

Just got done with Chapter 10 and they definitely made the boss more aggressive (Normal.) This boss used to be a pushover, and while it's still fairly easy, it's definitely different from before.

Brandon F

Chipping away at Hard in Chapter 4. These new cat ninjas are just brutal. They do this whip-tail throw that pretty much cuts away at least 2/3rd's of a health bar. In fact all of the new throw attacks are just stupidly imbalanced, almost never telegraphed, and damage output is insane. It's a lot like DOA actually.

Also really wish the game gave you the option to use your talisman on death or merely reload. I hate giving it up to some peon grunts, so when I die, I have to sit and let the AI kill me so I can try again to keep it.

Brandon F

IJoel said:
Just got done with Chapter 10 and they definitely made the boss more aggressive (Normal.) This boss used to be a pushover, and while it's still fairly easy, it's definitely different from before.

Similarly, fat bastard boss in hard mode now blocks your flying swallow which transformed him from the easiest boss in the game to a veritable nightmare...until I tried out the nunchucks. Still pretty aggravating though.

Mrbob

Brandon F said:
Similarly, fat bastard boss in hard mode now blocks your flying swallow which transformed him from the easiest boss in the game to a veritable nightmare...until I tried out the nunchucks. Still pretty aggravating though.

Hahahaha, this is the exact same problem I had. I figured I would own him with the flying swallow! Then he blocked me over and over again I was like WTF M8! It still works but you need an opening.

DenogginizerOS

Oh well. Even though all of the movies are unlocked and I can get the alternate light saber sword and costume, I must have overwritten a crucial save that NGB needs to have to know I finished NG. Damn. I REALLY wanted to play this game on Hard with all of the bonuses. Does anybody know if there is any way I can fix this (besides playing through it again on Normal)?

DenogginizerOS

DarkAngelYuna said:
On other forums theres a ton of people complaining about it not detecting their NG completed saves also. Its not just you.

Well, I guess I will take comfort in that. I should be able to rip through it on normal; I just didn't want to.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mrbob said:
Oh my god. Someone has already completed this game on Hard and his ranking is posted on the board.

Who has time to finish games like this? I can only think of kids or the unemployed.

Johnas

I plan on getting this game soon, I have only dabbled in the original, so it's Normal difficulty for me the first time through. I have an extremely casual gamer friend who finished the game, so I'm not too terribly worried about it.

Also, this thread is astonishingly devoid of you-know-who.

Johnas

Dr_Cogent said:
Who has time to finish games like this? I can only think of kids or the unemployed.

I think you're correct on both counts. I'm single (no kids either) but work full-time, the amount of content some people play on this forum just blows my mind sometimes.

Vagrant

Has anyone found the Intercept scroll yet? For those that haven't played the hurricane packs think of it like a mix of the parry from Street Fighter 3 and the issen moves from Onimusha, You hit L the second the enemy makes contact and you will repel the enemy and get a free hit, or a instantly charged ultimate attack.

The game seems more sluggish now without it, meaning you have to block more which in turn leaves you open to throw moves. It was nice to be able to use ultimate attacks more frequently too.

IJoel

Holy GUACAMOLE!

Chapter 11 Boss:
Doku imprinted his foot on my poor ninja arse. WTF, they made him really hard. The bastard blocks 9 out of 10 flying swallows now and that wouldn't be so bad but when he blocks it, he counterattacks and hits you doing a nice amount of damage. I wonder if it was this way before as I don't quite recall. I really had to throw all at him, spells included. The only good spell for him is the rotating fireballs, as anything else doesn't do any damage.

Top Bottom