• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best one off action/combo/combat game??

What's the best one off action/combo/combat game.(IE not a game in series like DMC or Ninja Gaiden)

• Vanquish

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • God Hand

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Metal Gear Revengence

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Astral Chain

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Other -Discuss below

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

dave_d

Since it came up in this thread

DMC vs NG

I did what was suggested and created another thread for the one-offs combo action combat games. So what's everybody's favorite of all these games? I've put in the ones that got mentioned in the link like MGR and of course my favorite, Vanquish.(Which admittedly is the only one of these I've really played) Feel free to submit something if you think it deserves a mention.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Metal Gear Rising is my favorite.

It doesn't have a lot of combos, but I love it's parry system. The game being basically a boss rush, the music and the story also help to elevate it imo, game feels like it just keeps getting better and crazier the more you play.

StueyDuck

vanquish was flashy but it wasn't necessarily interesting or complex. still fun none the less but asides from the animations most of the game is easy to forget.

Revengeance however was flashy but also had the mechanical depth to back it up, the overall story went in more interesting directions as well.

Does not mean either game isn't great or isn't fun. Just objectively speaking in regards to the OPs questions its MGR

Buggy Loop

video games snake GIF

I love Vanguish, but it's not as memorable as Metal Gear Rising. It's actually the best Metal Gear. Yes that's right, the side project surpassed the main series.

man smile GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Curious if there’s any other titles that should be mentioned or not, but I think no matter what goes up against MGR it’ll lose to MGR.

Devil May cry 5 definitely goes toe to toe with it if we did include franchise bests, but outside of franchises MGR is really in a league of its own.

Maybe Stellar Blade could take its throne once it has time to digest.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Vanquish is WAAAAAAAAAAY more satisfying than Revengeance. It takes a while to click but the sliding mechanic works so fucking well along with the bullet time.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I liked Vanquish more than MGR, so my vote goes there.

Also don't sleep on Astral Chain. It's pretty cool too.

I would not mind another Vanquish. And or Stranglehold or Enter the Matrix/ Path of Neo. Those had all some nice ideas, with some more, some less good executions.

Aion002

Vanquish is great and all... But...

A playable robot dog called Blade Wolf, a brazilian samurai, Jack the Ripper AKA Raiden and these songs:

MGR all the way.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Revengence. The dicing mechanic and boss fights were all GOAT tier material. Criminal we'll never get a sequel.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Between all of those, I can't really pick one, but MGR is one of the only action games that does parrying right, by making it not the tool for every single thing and reducing it to a rhythm game. It also has a nice scoring system that can set you apart from other players. Shinobi is similar, with a great use of the timer mechanic forcing you to not cheese enemies. Vanquish and Godhand also some of the best action games ever too.
I could go on, but ultimately I cannot pick just one from this list because all of these games are too good. Dave-d you have good taste

IAmRei

astral chain i think. longer and you are not only doing action. and more complex.
but i cant pick one, all had their weaknesses and goodness.

Lethal01

Mad-Max-PC-Game-Steam-CD-Key-Screenshot-3_1024x1024.jpg

Mad Fucking Max.

No femboys with their salon hair and manicured nails. Their ten pages of fancy unlockable moves that take 1/16” off an enemy’s health as they do their little gymnastics.

No. Mad Max is pure meat and potatoes, dirt under the nails, knock your teeth down your throat combat.

We will not pretend this wanna be batman combat is good just cause you hate anime

Astral Chain all the way.

Shifty1897

Oh you want me to choose between two of my favorite games of all time 🥹
Vanquish has better moment to moment gameplay and a higher skill ceiling, Metal Gear Rising has better music and boss battles.

I chose Vanquish.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Vanquish

I sadly couldn't like MGR that much. I didnt like the loose controls, the camera and the game was severely undercooked. Too bad the sequel would never be, as a more fleshed out MGR could be pure awesomeness. The game obviously needed some improvements.

But i miss releases like these games. Quirky mid tier. Far better than all that focus tested trash.

Vanquish

A stronger and more consistent experience from start to finish. The only way I'd ever say MGR was better was if I had a personal preference for melee over shooting.

Pimpollo818

Mad-Max-PC-Game-Steam-CD-Key-Screenshot-3_1024x1024.jpg

Mad Fucking Max.

No femboys with their salon hair and manicured nails. Their ten pages of fancy unlockable moves that take 1/16” off an enemy’s health as they do their little gymnastics.

No. Mad Max is pure meat and potatoes, dirt under the nails, knock your teeth down your throat combat.
didn't this one ape Arkham combat? I recall it had Arkham combat + a shotgun that was on a cooldown. basic/mid fun factor from what I can recall.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Metal Gear Revengence hands down.
I had so much fun with that game.....i really enjoyed Vankishu as well, but I think i never gave it enough time.

But honorable mention:

maxresdefault.jpg

For context you are at the bottom of that index finger.......and we though Kratos had it rough.

didn't this one ape Arkham combat? I recall it had Arkham combat + a shotgun that was on a cooldown. basic/mid fun factor from what I can recall.
It did use FreeFlow combat for melee which makes sense as WB owns that system and they have used it in Arkham and Shadow of.......the game just got overlooked cuz it came out at a really odd time.

The car combat was legit fun as fuck and I actually wish they did alot more of it, I honestly would take a whole Mad Max Racing game thats has that car combat with a similar upgrade system but expanded upgrade system......because all MP games need to have lots of customization for reasons and community retention.
The combat is as I said FreeFlow so thats fun too, the story is Mad Max, but it had pretty good graphics and fun gameplay through and through.
The game was most def not a Mid title.

P.S Its currently on sale for 5 dollars and is well worth much more.

Slightly off topic, WB is likely going to use FreeFlow and the Nemesis system for the Wonder Woman game......please dont fuck it up, please dont fuck it up.

RAIDEN1

Let's face it, Metal Gear will never be the same again (for better or worse with no Kojima involved..) after the bore that was Metal Gear Barren (MGS5) it's only the old games ie revengeance, portable ops, peace-walker, MG2/3/4 that remind you of it's once greatness.. I mean for me MGS4 on the PS3 in 2008/09 was cutting edge

RaduN

While all the other games on the list may have better production values, i wil always have a soft spot for God Hand.

I played that game religiously back then (i was among the first to ever beat Q and A in the Kick Me challenge, though i never could actually finish the entire game like that), finished it countless times in DIE mode. What can i say, one of the best action/brawlers ever created, with insane depth and formidable challenge.

The Stig

Metal Gear Rising is my favorite.

It doesn't have a lot of combos, but I love it's parry system. The game being basically a boss rush, the music and the story also help to elevate it imo, game feels like it just keeps getting better and crazier the more you play.
its gotta be revengeance.

accept no substitute.

Top Bottom