• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Ninja Gaiden Black thread

Bebpo

Banned
Draft said:
There is a very simple trick to beating ghost fishies, and once you know it, they are a better source of essence/life/nippo than any chest in the game. Spoilered just in case.
Just hit the button combo that makes you jump forward. It's been a long time so I forget exactly what buttons. As you're jumping, hammer on X to do the sort of tornado looking sword attack. Now just do that over and over and over again. The second you land, hammer the jump combo buttons, and hit x. Hammer the jump combo. X. Over and over and over. NEVER stay on the ground any longer than it takes to press the jump combo again. Voila, the fish will not be able to touch you, and 2-3 will die each time you jump, as they'll rush in just fast enough to get killed by your sword. I'm not exaggerating when I say you will never get hit. This technique turns groups of fish into a good thing, because it allows you to regain life and nippo inbetween fights.

Or just use the flame magic that surrounds you. That was what I did in the original and I just walked between areas collecting orbs.

Mrbob

I just used the lightning magic against the fish. Took 'em all out in one hit. You would easily get your magic meter filled back up.

While those methods are quicker, they aren't cost effective, it's wise to stay stocked on ninpo; those fish aren't going to give you red orbs all the time, you know.

IJoel

BTW, I went back and redid the ending to end with the 50 scarabs and it unlocked NG Arcade from the Main Menu. It's quite nice. It lets you set the health level, lives, and you can put up to 9 coins.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
U K Narayan said:
While those methods are quicker, they aren't cost effective, it's wise to stay stocked on ninpo; those fish aren't going to give you red orbs all the time, you know.

Every single time I ninpo'd a group of fish they dropped at least 3 red orbs.

Pachinko

the ghost fish in the original were best tackled with the vigoorian flail, just do the XXXXXX combo repetadly, but never go so far through the maze you get surrounded by 10 of them at once. Just inch through it , you should get a few thousand orbs each time. Hell I beat the game by doing this- bought 3 talismens of rebirth and upgraded stuff , bought max number of potions then went along and finished the game. Doku was easy has pie in that stage too.

moopie

Yet another ghost fish tactic... this one worked perfectly in the original, but I haven't gotten there in Black yet.
With the sword do the attack where you hit X the moment you land, then Y. That puts you into the air, then when you land do the exact same thing again over and over.

Oh yeah, does anyone know how to do the Izuna drop with the Staff? I can't figure it out...

PhatSaqs

Banned
moopie said:
Yet another ghost fish tactic... this one worked perfectly in the original, but I haven't gotten there in Black yet.
With the sword do the attack where you hit X the moment you land, then Y. That puts you into the air, then when you land do the exact same thing again over and over.
Yeah this is the best method for the fish. Once you get good at it you can even throw the windmill shuriken while coming down and continue.

Krowley

i always used magic on the fish along with the armlet that let you regain mana quicker. It was efficient enough, and VERY easy. I've been hearing that some armlets disapear in hard mode though, so that tactic may not work there.

Almost through normal mode now, Doku seemed much tougher than he used to be.

Hey, I'm taking my time with this game. I'm playing through normal mode to tighten up befoere I jump into hard. I was burned out on the game lasy year after beating it four times and for some reaosn STILL did not collect all the Golden Scarabs. My goal this time is to get them all through by playing through normal. Speaking of which, they've added cut scenes and extra dialogue to reallyl flush the story out more. I have to say it's a nice change if you've played the original game multiple times. I think fans should definately give normal a go.

Blazing through getting Master Ninja and Head Ninja Rankings thus far. And normal isn't easy as it was the first time through. There is a slight increase in the difficulty and more persistant enemies. Soemhow I unlocked the 'Coming Attractions' option and got to see the DOA 4 video. I can't wait to put the smoke bombs to use. This is game is still my favorite action game this gen (followed closely by Devil May Cry 3 and God of War).

If anybody can point me to a list of ALL 50 scarabs I'd appreciate it. I have NEVER found all of them. And I would like to do it for NGB.......

Mrbob

Apharmd Battler said:
Hey, I'm taking my time with this game. I'm playing through normal mode to tighten up befoere I jump into hard. I was burned out on the game lasy year after beating it four times and for some reaosn STILL did not collect all the Golden Scarabs. My goal this time is to get them all through by playing through normal. Speaking of which, they've added cut scenes and extra dialogue to reallyl flush the story out more. I have to say it's a nice change if you've played the original game multiple times. I think fans should definately give normal a go.

Blazing through getting Master Ninja and Head Ninja Rankings thus far. And normal isn't easy as it was the first time through. There is a slight increase in the difficulty and more persistant enemies. Soemhow I unlocked the 'Coming Attractions' option and got to see the DOA 4 video. I can't wait to put the smoke bombs to use. This is game is still my favorite action game this gen (followed closely by Devil May Cry 3 and God of War).

If anybody can point me to a list of ALL 50 scarabs I'd appreciate it. I have NEVER found all of them. And I would like to do it for NGB.......

I don't know if you have IGN Insider, but if you do use this as a guide:

http://guides.ign.com/guides/482221/page_4.html

It has location, description, and picture of where each scarab is. Worked great when I had to find the last few scarabs in the original. Scarabs are in the exact same spot in Ninja Gaiden Black.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, people still talking fish strategies? Just equip the flails and go nuts with X, end of story.

Now if someone can help me out with these new triceratops ogre's in Chapter 10, I'd be grateful. They kick the living shit out of me.

Excelion

Banned
just finished the game on hard :) 9h35min

it unlocked:
Missions mode
Arcade Ninja Gaiden
Movie Theater
One costume (black with a red scarf)
and very hard mode

Brandon F

Did u get all 50 scarabs? I've missed one so far, just wondering what all of them give you.

Mrbob said:
I don't know if you have IGN Insider, but if you do use this as a guide:

http://guides.ign.com/guides/482221/page_4.html

It has location, description, and picture of where each scarab is. Worked great when I had to find the last few scarabs in the original. Scarabs are in the exact same spot in Ninja Gaiden Black.

Yes, I do have an Insider account!! Thanks a bunch!! Just made it into a .pdf so I can be sure not to miss them.

Victrix

*beard*
Running X+X. You don't need much move time to trigger the running slash, so you can do it quickly even when close to him. Roll/jump out of the way immediately after the second hit, repeat until dead. If he decides to shield up, roll and jump until he drops it. If he starts blasting, don't let him complete the full cycle, you'll probably get hit. Dodge one or two, then rush in and double slash him.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
just started the game a hour ago...playing it on hard cause normal mode is for pussies

adding enemies during the boss fights seem to make it ....easier. they're easy to kill and they often bring blue orbs, which lets me save health potions that i would otherwise use. died way too many times on the first level though...i havent played ninja gaiden in a while and it doesnt help that i never played the hurricane packs. im surprised to see new weapons already :p

just got to the 3rd level....so far, doesn't seem any harder than the original but it's still early

IJoel

Wario64 said:
just started the game a hour ago...playing it on hard cause normal mode is for pussies

adding enemies during the boss fights seem to make it ....easier. they're easy to kill and they often bring blue orbs, which lets me save health potions that i would otherwise use. died way too many times on the first level though...i havent played ninja gaiden in a while and it doesnt help that i never played the hurricane packs. im surprised to see new weapons already :p

just got to the 3rd level....so far, doesn't seem any harder than the original but it's still early

I'd say the first 2 chapters are about the same in difficulty. I really didn't have much trouble with either, nor their bosses. Chapter 3 is the same, essentially. The only difference is that the boss is quite unforgiving this time. I just got to Chapter 4 and it's not that much harder than in normal mode, but then I haven't encountered the catwomen which can be messy to deal with, at least initially while getting used to their attack and patterns. I do look forward to my impending encounter with the evil twin.

Krowley

finished normal mode and got ranked really low (like 160th out of 190 or so :(. i may go back through normal mode eventually just to improve on that at some point.. i could definitly get into the dick measuring contest of these score postings :lol Especially on mission mode if what i've heard is true that you get ranked individually for each mission. that would be cool because you could go back and play through them real quick to improve your ranking.

I got all scarabs, and unlocked arcade NG, unlocked mission mode and hard mode + movies. For some reason this game just totally didn't recognize my files from the original NG. i had already beaten normal twice, and made it to the water level hurricane pack 1. I'm hoping there is a way to unlock the NES NG's in this game, because i traded in the original to help pay for this one, and i never did get those unlocked anyway (finished it once with all scarabs, but forgot to go back and turn in my last scarab before saving)...

Overall there is definitly enough difference in normal mode to justify another play through, and for me, i obviously needed the practice :lol the last boss even killed me.... TWICE!! total weaksauce

Excelion

Banned
Hard mode becomes really harder than in NG as soon as those bastards appear.
ninja-gaiden-black-20050518105547211.jpg

I don't even try to beat them anymore.

Brandon F

Yep, those ogres are sonsobitches. I spent about an hour yesterday trying the 60-ogre challenge in Chapter 12...it didn't go very well.

IJoel

Hard mode is indeed quite hard. The black ninjas are on steroids and can be really deadly. Cat women are awesome because they force you to use the LUNAR STICK OF FLIPPITY AWESOME DEATH and the insane jumping and flipping that goes on screen brings a smile to my face.

Currently in chapter 6.

Brandon F

Almost done. In fact, I will likely have Hard mode wrapped up tonight. Really wish I didn't miss that one stupid scarab in the military base, I'd have them all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
im on chapter 7, hard mode. nothing too difficult yet, died quite a few times during the ch. 6 boss cause of the damn camera

i've been using the sword exclusively so far. i hate the stick. also, wtf is the windmill shuriken? i don't remember getting that in the original ninja gaiden...and i still havent gotten it yet. im guessing it was in the hurricane pack?

Brandon F

Windmill shuriken was hidden outside of Han's bar in the original game, up on a special pedistal that required some wall running to reach(there is a prototype Xbox sitting next to it's location).

In Hard mode, you'll get the windmill after turning in a certain number of scarabs. I think it was 20.

Excelion

Banned
It was in a "secret" alley in the Hans Bar area, with a big Xbox prototype (refill your health ninpo), Ayane send you a kunai "follow the blue line" near it. You'll get it once you've a certain number of scarabs. It's a very big shuriken that comes back to you. On very hard, purple ninjas all have one :lol

edit: too late.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FUCK ALMA, i actually took off like 3/4 of her life meter within the first 30 seconds of the fight but couldn't another hit on her and died. fucking cheap!

oh now im pissed, next retry, she had about |---| life left and i died, nooooooo

I just got to Alma almost about 20 minutes ago and just tried her like 5 times before slamming my controller down and turning it off.. :lol They made her hard... ;( I only have one potion to heal too..

IJoel

I got to my first encounter with evil Ryu. The AI is badass, and it's absolutely true that it feels like fighting another person. I bested him but it took many potions. His fireball spell is way too powerful and it takes about 80% of one's health. Not to mention that it's very hard to avoid.

Brandon F

Just finished the game on Hard. I'm ranked 40-something on the charts, and I haven't tried any Missions yet. I don't think the classic NES games are included this time afterall which blows.

Game is still great(still give the slight nod to DMC3), but there really isn't that much in here that separates it from the original+Hurricane packs. Maybe the missions will change my mind.

Mrbob

Brandon F said:
Just finished the game on Hard. I'm ranked 40-something on the charts, and I haven't tried any Missions yet. I don't think the classic NES games are included this time afterall which blows.

Game is still great(still give the slight nod to DMC3), but there really isn't that much in here that separates it from the original+Hurricane packs. Maybe the missions will change my mind.

The classic NES games are on the disc. You have to unlock them again the same way it is done in Ninja Gaiden.

DarkAngelYuna said:
:lol god damn this games camera systtem sucks
its not alma killing me, its not being able to see crap while fighting her

Don't take this personally (think of this as a general fuck you to everyone who bitches about 3D action games (intense ones mind you) about camera imperfections.

___IT's THE NATURE OF THE BEAST__

Why people expect an action game with a close-nit, in your face camera to be as functional at all times as if it were some RPG is beyond me.

It's not going to happen. The only way to get a 100% functional camera is to have a pulled back, far, distant boring camera.

And as long as the game telegraphs it's attacks (auditory as well so off-screen enemies can be heared before they attack) an action game gets a thumbs up from me.

Some games are worse than others (i.e, Nanobreaker, Dino Crisis 3--) yes, but Ninja Gaiden Black is certainly up there in the "it's fine, don't worry about it" department. Some enemies in NG:Black lack telegraphed attacks, which sucks--but most others have them and the camera is elastic based, which is fine.

Krowley

i'm working my way through hard mode now... I got to chapter 4, decided i was using too many potions and restarted.... so i'm playing through again and trying to conserve ... generaly i use a lot of potions when i play this game, and the price increase was causing me problems.

On this second attempt at hard, i just beat chapter 2. i had trouble with the boss there because i decided i was going to beat it without using ANY potions. Unfortunatley when i made it to him i had 1/3 health because of the horse fight in the circle. So i had to fight the boss about 12 or 13 times, running around trying to kill a few of the fat, flying, magic ninjas to replenish my health before i got raped in a corner. I guess i could have loaded the save point at the river and fought the horses in the circle again, but i had already done that 3 times and still ended up using 1 potion there. So anyway, the biggest difficulty of hard mode for me so far is the price increase, because i'm a potion whore and i hate farming essence..

I should probably read up and learn some of the cheap essence farming tricks that people use... i've always avoided those in the past because i figured they would sort of mess up the ballance of the game.

One thing i've decided, i'm not gonna be shy about using ninpo on these higher difficulty's.. The fire wheels cause the chapter 2 boss to die very quickly if you use them tacticly and i'm sure the stronger spells will be handy against some of these minions on the later bosses.

Mrbob said:
he classic NES games are on the disc. You have to unlock them again the same way it is done in Ninja Gaiden.

i've visited a bunch of boards and nobody has found a way to unlock them. apparently the strategy guide for this game is all screwed up and all sorts of information released to the press is innacurate... like the order of item unlocking and things like that. On normal mode, finding all scarabs unlocks arcade ninja gaiden. not sure what happens on hard mode but plenty of people have beaten it now and i haven't heard of anybody unlocking any of the nes games.

Maybe you have to finish with master ninja on every chapter now? i remember that was one way to unlock some of them in the original game.

Brandon F said:

missions are AWESOME. i started playing with them this morning and i could not stop. it's like playing a racing game, doing time trial... you just have to better your score. They also force you to use all your weapons and come up with new kinds of tactics. Mission mode is not only fun, but it's a great way to practice playing the game and it is an easy way to jump in and get a few minutes of killer action. although i am dissapointed that the online scoring for mission mode doesn't rank you for each mission, but only takes into account your cumulative score for all missions. it would have been fun trying to master a single mission and measure your score on it against the best players.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Is it wrong that I want to buy a xbox360 at launch just to play this game? Man I don't own a xbox right now and see no reason to with 360 on the way... Checks my wallet.. I got enough cash :)

Krowley

SpokkX said:
do you get to face the new enemies and evil Ryu in normal mode?

no, normal mode is almost the same... it's just tweaked... it's a little harder. Some of the bosses block more. You get access to the lunar staff (which is a really cool weapon, on par with the dragon sword once you level it up). there are a few new save points from the hurricane packs in convenient places and you get some extra cut scenes that help outline the story better (story still sucks though). There are also some different items, but nothing earth shattering.

I probably went through a path different than most. I had Hard available due to the earlier game saves, but actually went through Ninja Dog to see what Ayane gives you. Actually pretty cool all these unique ribbons and food items she gives you. Hey, I paid for the new content, had to see it. That also quickly opened up Mission mode and the arcade game (since all scarabs were in the same spots as before).

Then I started up Normal and blasted through to stage 6 before leaving it there and starting Hard. I love the challenge and tougher enemy types in Hard, and yet have actually gone through to stage 6 with only a couple loses to Murai early on.

I'd agree with some others that so far, the extra enemies during boss fights actually seem to help me more than hurt due to them offering blue orbs regularly. I'll probably get stuck on Alma for a bunch of restarts, but so far so good.

Top Bottom