• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2004 Summer Olympics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASB

Error Macro said:
I must contribute:

damn.jpg

I don't give a rat's patoot about the olympics, but I would watch whatever event that is, all freaking day.
Does anyone know who that is and what event she's in? That's a great pic and inquiring minds need to know! :)

As for the basketball game. It's pathetic (though Argentina is playing well). It looks like the US will be owned by 9-12 points. They can't seem to get past that barrier. The 3 point shooting is a disaster, though that's the way it's been every other game. I can't believe those players can't make those shots.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't believe they called that shit on Duncan when that's all the Argentines have been doing every fucking play.

Blacklion

This team would be great if it were for an AND-1 tour.
I'd pay to see that.

But these guys just can't SHOOT!
Streaky yes ... but defibnately not constant ... they are very althetic but that will only take you so far, you cant open the defence up that way and break the zone.

As Reggie Miller said ... " IT's TWENTY FRIGGIN FEET !!! "

free throws have been the undoing of them (team U.S) in several games.
Fundamentals have sadly taken a back seat.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy shit, did anyone even TOUCH that guy that got "hurt" and couldn't shoot his free throws? This is like WWE-level shit.

MASB

That's the way to sink those threes Jefferson! ;)

Ref: "Foul? What foul? Just because Marbury took his head off, that isn't a foul! Oh well, alright." *blows whistle*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MASB said:
That's the way to sink those threes Jefferson! ;)

Ref: "Foul? What foul? Just because Marbury took his head off, that isn't a foul! Oh well, alright." *blows whistle*

lol @ the stupid fans too, that not being called a foul actually would have helped Argentina.

MASB

Well, it's too bad the US lost. I mean, I was down on them because of their playing, but it's still bad that they lost. But maybe this will be a wakeup call for them to take it more seriously, to train together as a team longer or whatever needs to be done. Spain played well, but the US didn't play its best as well. So many missed shots really did us in. Plus the refs were pretty bad, though I guess both teams were affected by that, not just the US.

I hate to say wakeup call, since so many of the US team members said that when they lost those two earlier games. :p

Cloudy

Banned
If Kobe was on this team, they'd have won. All the other teams did was lock up Duncan and dare the other guys to shoot... :(

Ripclawe

Banned
no its not too bad, you first have to admit you suck before you can change it up.
Next time, send better players and not people who are on because Stu Jackson is worried about shoe contracts and hold grudges against other players.

The second thing is FORCE the players to relearn the fundies of basketball.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ripclawe said:
no its not too bad, you first have to admit you suck before you can change it up.
Next time, send better players and not people who are on because Stu Jackson is worried about shoe contracts and hold grudges against other players.

The second thing is FORCE the players to relearn the fundies of basketball.

The thing is it was a no-brainer for the US to pick the biggest stars they could get; it went with their marketing and if they had picked guys better-suited to the game, like e.g. Michael Redd, US sportswriters and fans alike would have flipped. Hopefully they'll learn for next time though.

Dilbert

Cloudy said:
If Kobe was on this team, they'd have won. All the other teams did was lock up Duncan and dare the other guys to shoot... :(
Ummmm....no. In case you hadn't noticed, Kobe can't shoot consistently EITHER.

Dilbert

Also, can we PLEASE bury this "Dream Team" shit for once and for all? It's been clear to everyone for YEARS that our international basketball teams are dreams we are desperately trying to wake up from.

Miguel

:\

I love how people were talking about Starbury turning the corner yesterday and FINALLY getting the job done. How he and the team had finally learned the international game.

I didn't watch the game, nor have I watched any since the US/Lithuania game a few days ago.

It's Texans season :D

Cloudy

Banned
-jinx- said:
Ummmm....no. In case you hadn't noticed, Kobe can't shoot consistently EITHER.

Umm, yes he can...and waaay better than ANYONE on that squad. And as a plus, he'd play shutdown perimeter defense too...

about to lose my goddamn mind, this fucking sucks. I hope the US volleyball team can come thru and upset some folks. That's the only thing that can erase that nightmare. US basektball couldn't stop Argentina from scoring for shit. Damn near every possession, like it was a damn videogame.

MASB

Poor Paula Radcliffe of England. Someone needs to give her some more hugs. She had to drop out of the 10,000 meters, just like she did in the marathon. :(

I wonder why I didn't expect the Kobe campaign to start immediately after the loss? Kobe in Beijing 2008! Yeah!!! ;)

Miguel

Holy shit I just caught the end of the USA/Argentina game.

Oh the sweet sweet irony of Richard Jefferson being on the opposite end of the *take it strong to the hole SLAM DUNK RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRGH!!!!* by Scola. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Miguel said:
Holy shit I just caught the end of the USA/Argentina game.

Oh the sweet sweet irony of Richard Jefferson being on the opposite end of the *take it strong to the hole SLAM DUNK RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRGH!!!!* by Scola. :lol

Yeah that was pretty bad; a fitting end however.

Dilbert

Cloudy said:
Umm, yes he can...and waaay better than ANYONE on that squad. And as a plus, he'd play shutdown perimeter defense too...
If by "great shooter" you mean "shot the league average in 2003-4," then yeah, maybe. (Bryant shot 43.8% in the regular season; the league average was 43.9%.) If by "great shooter" you mean "shot worse than the league average behind the three-point line," then yeah, maybe. (32.7% for Kobe; 34.7% for the league.)

But who cares about that regular season junk? I mean, the playoffs is where it counts, right? Surely the Olympics can't rival the pressure of an NBA postseason...I mean, those pussy Olympics are one-and-done past the qualifying round, but in the NBA, you can lose as many as three times before you go home! So how does our Kobe do in the postseason? 41.3% from the field, and an abysmal 24.7% from the three-point line. Nice to know he can step up when it really counts.

Better than anyone else on the team? Well, the outside shooting on the team WAS pretty bad. But Shawn Marion boasts a better percentage than Bryant from the three-point line, and from the field overall.

Feel free to stop sniffing Kobe's jock now.

Cloudy

Banned
OMG, I'm really tired of arguing with folks who don't watch hoops regularly and just look up stats on NBA.com and try to make a point (Hi, Archaix :p)

If you're seriously gonna compare Kobe shooting bad while being doubled by the best defensive team in the league to how he would abuse ANY and EVERY body on the teams who beat us (who were leaving everyone open except Duncan), I have nothing else to say. And mentioning Shawn fucking Marion in the same breath as Kobe is ridiculous.

PS: you might wanna look up who owns the NBA record for threes in a game while you're browsing NBA.com :p

Dilbert

Cloudy said:
OMG, I'm really tired of arguing with folks who don't watch hoops regularly and just look up stats on NBA.com and try to make a point (Hi, Archaix :p)

If you're seriously gonna compare Kobe shooting bad while being doubled by the best defensive team in the league to how he would abuse ANY and EVERY body on the teams who beat us (who were leaving everyone open except Duncan), I have nothing else to say. And mentioning Shawn fucking Marion in the same breath as Kobe is ridiculous.
You don't know shit about how much basketball I watch, so I suggest you keep your conjecture to yourself.

Despite what you might want to believe, statistics kept over the course of a season are pretty decent indicators about what a player can do. As for the playoff stats, those were his COMBINED playoff stats. If I was ONLY quoting the Detroit series, he would have looked MUCH worse. (Hint: 17% three-point shooting.) You made the claim that Kobe would have been clearly better than anyone else they sent, and it's simply not true.

If you don't think that the other Olympic teams couldn't figure out how to guard both Kobe AND Duncan, you're crazy. It didn't take rocket science to figure out how to beat the Lakers, right? Guard the hell out of Shaq AND Kobe, and watch the other stiffs screw up. Also, if you think that Kobe wouldn't have been subjected to the same tight foul calls that doomed Duncan in most games, you're even crazier.

In order to be successful, the U.S. team would have required SEVERAL outside shooters and a commitment to team offense and defense. Kobe is a streaky outside shooter at best, and his commitment to "team" is shaky as hell. His presence on that team would have made little to no difference. Whether your fanboy goggles can see that is another story entirely.

I never bought into the "they suck, but they should win" line. I was still rooting for them, but they didn't show me anything that would lead me to believe they would pull it all together. After the win against Spain, I thought some of players would get a confidence boost from it, but I sensed they were going to string a bad game together with their good game.

At least we sent Gasol packing, now if we can get the bronze-- sad as it may be-- that'd be the icing on cake.

Cloudy

Banned
statistics kept over the course of a season are pretty decent indicators about what a player can do

Maybe so but you have to look at other things too. Like the competition and play-style. Looking at Marbury's season stats, you'd think he'd be dominating every game but he obviously didn't. Besides yesterday, he's been totally worthless. Why? Cos he is completely lost in a half court game and that is what most of the teams they faced tried to force on them...

If you don't think that the other Olympic teams couldn't figure out how to guard both Kobe AND Duncan, you're crazy.

The way these teams have been guarding the US, they all just pack the lane and let the other guys besides Duncan shoot. You can't do that with even ONE inside-outside threat to go along with the big-guy and keep the defense honest.

In order to be successful, the U.S. team would have required SEVERAL outside shooters and a commitment to team offense and defense.

Wrong. The problem with this team wasn't outside shooting. It was shooting period. Forget 3 pt shots, if they could hit 2 pt fgs that weren't layups or dunks, they would be winning. Tim Duncan + slashers and tweeners is NOT a very hard team to beat. And the way they've been beating us is with perimeter shooting. Notice how Spain couldn't win yesterday? It's cos they don't have crazy shooters that we had to guard. There is no shutdown perimeter defender on this olympic team and that is the biggest problem. Hell, even Ron Artest would have made a difference...

Kobe is a streaky outside shooter at best, and his commitment to "team" is shaky as hell. His presence on that team would have made little to no difference

That "commitment to team" shit is just media propaganda. What this team needed was an inside-outside threat, perimeter defense and leadership. Kobe (even Tmac) would have provided all this and they would have won.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
kevm3 said:
So has USA basketball become fundamentally sound again after we heartily beat a favorite to win the gold in a 5 and 0, 'fundamentally amazing' Spain? Oh no, I forgot, only losses can be indicative of the status of the NBA... And it was pure athleticism that made Marbury's shots drop.
:lol

1 drop of rain doesn't make a flood.

:lol

Gregory

Banned
Haha, Marion Jones fucked up the 4*100 meters relay. Plus only getting 5th in the long jump. I guess that`s what happens when your body isn`t full of illegal drugs. Cheating bitch.

Scoobert

It wasn't Marion Jones' fault they lost, it was actually Lauryn Williams that made the mistakes. It's a team event, but if you have to blame one person blame Williams.

MASB

Both of them made mistakes. It looked like Marion Jones was on her last breath as she was getting to Williams and was slowing down. Williams should have slowed down a bit and looked behind her to make sure she got the baton when she didn't get it right away. At any rate, it looks like Jones wasn't in her peak condition for these Olympics. Too bad, unless the drug allegations are true, then I guess maybe not so bad. The Russian women did a great job in the long jump competition, that's for sure.

Lebron James: "No I'm not disappointed. A little shocked is all. Not disappointed."

MASB

I'm so glad that Gunn-Rita Dahle of Norway won the cross country mountain bike race. She had so much trouble with her bike towards the end.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Why did LeBron not play the last two games? Fucking Larry Brown is a douche, not playing the youngsters.

Why not worry about talent and ability over age Larry?

Yeah the team was heavily flawed, that wasn't helped by your benching the second best player, and BEST PASSER.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Oh yeah, let me point out a point I made that no one harped on. It's amazing how quickly the euros picked up on the bitchy NBA attitude that has made the league almost unwatchable. It's also amazing at how little of that attitude that the US team has showed in these Olympics, which makes me very happy. On one hand, you've got the Spaniard (sounds like a dirty word, but it isn't) coach crying and moaning because of a late timeout. On the other hand, you've got an Argentine dunking on the US with one second left. Only one team cried cause they lost.

In four years, hopefully we'll give them a LOT more to cry about. We've just gotta find our way again, and get Stu Jackson to go back to Ohio State or Davidson or whatever will take him out of competative basketball.

Miguel

Aside from the fact that the US lost, which no one REALLY wanted to happen, no matter what they say (myself included)...

You have to laugh at the fact that Jefferson got Jefferson'd by the Argentine with 1 second left. :lol

He did the whole "OMG LOOK BASKET OPEN SLAM DUNK TIIIIME RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWRRRRRGGHHHH!!!" thing that RJeff has down to perfection. Sweet Sweet Irony of Mine, I'm gonna let it shine.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Does anyone appreciate the irony that one of our "Olympic" athletes just appeared on the cover of a game like NBA Ballers, where the goal is to pusure extravagant individual material wealth rather than to win basketball games?

Do we need any other commentary on the state of the game and professional sports in this country in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom