• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to NCsoft, Guild Wars 3 is under development

Draugoth

Gold Member
c0d4bexpac-3-elite-spec-group_9972.1280.jpg

Translation from Deepl:

[Game Shareholders' Meeting] NCsoft, TJ, Google Meeting BM, Shareholders' Meeting - Full Q&A
On the 28th, NCsoft held its annual general meeting of shareholders. CEO Kim Taek-jin (TJ) was absent from the meeting due to business related to Google in the U.S., and Byung-moo Park (BM), an outside director, acted as chairman according to the regulations. The two co-designees chaired the business meeting and the general meeting, respectively.
"Due to Mr. Kim's urgent meetings with Google, I was forced to act as acting chairman," said Mr. Byungmoo Park. "I can't tell you everything, but there are several important meetings related to our company's performance," he said.
"In 2023, the global game market as a whole was very unstable, and NCsoft experienced internal and external difficulties," he said, apologizing to shareholders for the significant drop in stock price. The company's 2023 performance was a disappointment compared to 2022, which was its best year since its founding.
Park emphasized that the company has built up assets over the past two decades by overcoming numerous adversities. "Looking back at our history, we have a number of box office IPs that are the only ones in Korea to be developed in-house, we have excellent talent including CEO Kim Taek-jin, and we have great experiences of successes and failures," he said. "I am confident that if these assets blossom, we will be able to build sustainable development capabilities again."
"The transformation for change has already begun," he said, adding, "All employees will work as a complementary 'one team' and focus on a common goal." "On the other hand, I dare to say that this year marks the beginning of NCSoft's transformation into a global games company. The company will launch a number of genres that it hasn't done before, and will make everything global rather than domestic.
"To this end, CEO Kim Taek-jin is traveling around the world to continue global collaboration," Park said, promising that "as co-chairman, I will lay the foundation for NCsoft with four keywords." The four keywords are: building a foundation for globalization, streamlining to internalize management, building a data-driven decision-making system, and M&A and continuous investment to increase new IP.
"Therefore, 2024 will be a very important turning point for NC and its shareholders from many perspectives," said Byungmoo Park, acting CEO. "NC employees are doing their best, and if shareholders are patient and supportive, we will restore trust and become NCsoft, which will show trust-based performance."
On the day, all agenda items were passed, including the re-election of Mr. Kim and the appointment of Mr. Byungmoo Park. Mr. Byungmoo Park will become co-chairman of the board of directors immediately after the AGM.
Here are some highlights from the Q&A at the AGM
Q. The information provided by NCSoft has become too scarce. From this earnings announcement, it will not disclose sales information by game. Providing opaque information is a discounting factor. Also, the distribution costs have increased significantly. In the past, NCC had a controversy with streamer backed advertisements, which increased costs to maintain sales.
CFO Hong Won-joon = Since the last earnings announcement, we did not disclose sales by game, which led to many speculations. There are some people who say that it is because the performance of each game is not good, but in a way, it can be said to be an 'oversight'. It's just to align with other listed companies' disclosures or global standards. We provide information on revenue by game through the IR office. However, we will consider what is best for our shareholders at the next earnings call.
The talk of us making or driving revenue from streamers was around the time I joined NC (October 2021). There has been no official word of that since I joined. I say this loud and clear.
In addition, in order to reduce costs, even dry towels are being woven under the leadership of Park Byung-moo. Even Kim Taek-jin's overseas trips are part of that, and we're trying to negotiate on that level.
Q. I don't understand why NWEST has been in the red for eight years, and the person in charge is still in charge.
Acting Chairman Park Byung-moo = The issue of NCWest's deficit is not just about numbers. Personally, I've been a director of NCsoft for 17 years, and I've seen that NC West has undergone a lot of reorganization. Originally, we had six studios in the U.S., and we had to consolidate them into what is now ArenaNet, which added costs, but in the end, it became a competitive ArenaNet. It's not a loss, it's a contribution to making us more competitive in the US.
ArenaNet has a meaningful IP called 'Guild Wars,' and it went through 'Guild Wars 2' and is now making 'Guild Wars 3'. If you look at the process, it's quite competitive. It's not completely profitable, but I evaluate that it has grown its competitiveness.
There is a saying that it is a family business, but we have the right people in the right place. I think they all played their roles according to the circumstances. As this is the first year of our global leap, we have reorganized the organization mainly at the headquarters, but we will also reorganize the global organization in the future. The reorganization will be done carefully according to normal circumstances and procedures. Please stay tuned.
Also, please don't judge Dr. Songyi Yoon based on just NCWest and some studios. As far as I know, Dr. Yoon has done a great job as CSO in collaborating with multiple organizations and scaling new IPs. Family or not, our board of directors would have voted against him if he was in the position simply because he was family. That's what he was capable of.
I think Dr. Songyi Yoon has shown the courage to step down as we've grown and changed over the last year, and I'm biased because he's family. I would like to see Dr. Yoon's contributions as well. Family or not, please understand that Dr. Yun's AI knowledge, global network, and invisible contributions to the company have been tremendous.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m surprised they didn’t go the route of a GW2 overhaul with new graphics engine etc.

Me personally I’m much more likely to try a GW3 over a new coat of paint though but I know from a cost standpoint and risk adverse stance, the coat of paint is easier.

Complistic

I loved GW2 for the first couple years after it came out. Not really sure why but I kinda just lost interest in it. I'd probably be back for another though.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Really…. Interesting. I loved 1, and really liked 2 as well but got out when the first expansion came. They are utterly fantastic games. I’d jump back in for a third for sure if they do it right.

I’m not even sure I know what the storyline is for guild wars anymore.

Last lore video I can find is from like 2 years ago….

Last edited:

Bry0

Liked 1 but loved 2. I’d check out a 3. It’s time really, gw2 is starting to feel long in the tooth.

1 felt more refined in terms of storytelling and exploration, but 2 was fun as well for it's own reasons. I just hope with 3 they find a way to do more instead of just '2 but with better graphics'. I feel that won't be enough for a modern day MMO, even for such a renowned IP.

I also hope that this time around they don't ignore controller users and console. It's been proven with GW 1 and GW 2 controller mods that they can easily work. ESO essentially borrowed Guild Wars 'limited skills' feature and showed that it could work on controller as well. There's no more excuses for the lack of it.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I just watched a video from 2 years ago, the dragons are all gone? wtf happened? Now they are fighting demons? What in the world is happening.

Jedge

Awful dev and balance team in gw2. They tried so hard to push esports and it obviously ended up failing. WvW was left in the dust. I have no hope for 3 being good

Doom_master1122

Neo Member
This is what I wanted to happen. After End of Dragon's Expansion I feel like the needed to stop and maybe focus on a third game for a new story. While the expansion after it is fine, You can tell that the second game is definitely scraping the bottom now. Its time to move onto a new story to tell.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea I really didn't give Guild Wars 2 the love i think it deserved back in the day. I was too caught up in Final Fantasy XIV and them re-envisioning the game for A Realm Reborn and still playing quite a bit of SWTOR. Definitely down to try a Guild Wars 3

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is what I wanted to happen. After End of Dragon's Expansion I feel like the needed to stop and maybe focus on a third game for a new story. While the expansion after it is fine, You can tell that the second game is definitely scraping the bottom now. Its time to move onto a new story to tell.
Ok, what happened to the dragons? They are all dead? It was eluded to earlier in the game that they can’t truly die I thought (even though the original gw2 story has us kill Zaitan or whatever his name was).

I don't understand why such games (MMOs and also sports games) even get sequels. Isn't Fortnite's model with just swapping the engine and overhauling the levels the modern way? Entirely seemless and building everything upon existing stuff and keeping one intact userbase.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don't understand why such games (MMOs and also sports games) even get sequels. Isn't Fortnite's model with just swapping the engine and overhauling the levels the modern way? Entirely seemless and building everything upon existing stuff and keeping one intact userbase.
The player base slowly erodes over time and a sequel allows them to build up that excitement again. Also, they can make massive and fundamental changes that they couldn’t do in the same game. Gw1 to gw2 is completely different

Doom_master1122

Neo Member
Ok, what happened to the dragons? They are all dead? It was eluded to earlier in the game that they can’t truly die I thought (even though the original gw2 story has us kill Zaitan or whatever his name was).
I'll give a super rough, (and probably missed a lot of points) break down of everything since base game.
Long story short without detailed spoilers, Yes kind of.

Basically as you killed each dragon the magic got more unstable and absorbed into the other dragons, who in turn, go more insane and power hungry. Top this with you also fighting Balthazar the god of war, and his god powers end up getting absorbed into the dragons. You hatch a smaller dragon from Heart of Thorns which ends up becoming the de-facto dragon by the end.
As you do this the dragon magic goes rampant and ends up corrupting the final unnamed (at the time) sea dragon. Some characters awaken to being dragon champions and help lead the dragons to dying.
Its been a while since I finished End of Dragons but I believe the dragon magic if left without a host would devour the world.

It all ended with Aurene (The hatched dragon) and you cleansing it all and preventing the world from destruction. She now sits as the only Dragon left in the world with all magic flowing through her.
Since then this weird side story has been kicking up. I've paid very little attention to it.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Fortnite has the benefit of being built in UE4 ~2015 by the same company who made UE4 and then made UE5. As their flagship game, it was important - and probably a hard requirement - that upgrading Fortnite be as easy as possible to show other companies that it is feasible. They also built UE5 to make sure it could handle almost anything/any kind of game.

Work on GW 2 started in 2007 and used whatever engine AreaNet was using at the time. There's probably a lot they want to do that the engine currently doesn't allow or would require incredibly heavy modifications to allow. Making it not worth the effort.

My guess is this new game is being developed to allow for what you described though.

phant0m

GW2 was the only MMO that kept me, thanks to not having power creep, subscription or any artificial way to make me return.
Yup. My favorite on the market right now from a gameplay perspective—

No holy trinity, leveling experience really rewards exploring the map and engaging in various activities vs fetch quests, no FOMO and great QoL for everyone

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I was so incredibly hyped for GW2 back in the day. I enjoyed it for a few months, but honestly the lack of role identity and the healer/tank/dps trinity ruined the small group PvE experience for me. I ended up back with WoW and then to FFXIV. I can see why many like it, but honestly it was one of the most disappointing MMORPGs I've played.

Loved GW2, accumulated over 1500+ hours in 2013 and 2014. I think the grip is that it was the first MMO that didn't shove the FOMO shits to your face. Even though the big selling point was WvW but I found myself enjoy 5v5 way much more, it was great.

Really enjoyed the first game but didn't care much for the second. I think it was the mission based structure of the first that hooked me, with the hub areas and instance based open world. Extremely good game and the fact there were no subscriptions for it was so good.

Corian33

Loved the first two games. This is probably the only new MMO that I could get excited for.

I hope they take the best parts of both games and turn it up even more.

Tams

I was greatly disappointed by 2.

The concept art was absolutely stunning, but the in game graphics, especially the character models were/are horrible. And while I love some T&A, the character models were/are almost all very sexualised.

The writing was/is cringey shit.

Top Bottom