• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2004 Summer Olympics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greekboy

Banned
Well, being of Greek descent I will be pulling for Greece but since I am also Canadian I will be pushing for Canada as well. However, all I really want to see is some good competition and drug busts.

This thread is in memory of Ben Johnson.

Let the Games begin!

Miguel

I don't know how well you keep up with Greek Basketball dude, but do you know anything about PG Vasilis Spanoulis. I think he made the Greek team, and was wondering if you've ever seen him. Rockets drafted him in the 2nd round this year, and don't really plan on him coming over for at least 1-2 years from now.

Greekboy

Banned
Miguel said:
I don't know how well you keep up with Greek Basketball dude, but do you know anything about PG Vasilis Spanoulis. I think he made the Greek team, and was wondering if you've ever seen him. Rockets drafted him in the 2nd round this year, and don't really plan on him coming over for at least 1-2 years from now.

I'll find out for you and get back to you in this topic. I'll hit up my Greek sources from Greece that are avid basketball followers. I do know however that he is viewed as a key component of the Greek team along with a couple of other "young generation" stars.

calder

Team Rancid said:
USA USA! How is the baseball team? Do they have a chance to beat Cuba?

Hehe, if you're not joking, I'd suggest Team USA worry more about Mexico. And finding a time machine. ;)

The more I think about Jeff Francis not going (thanks Rockies! doesn't sound like a stupid 'we just don't want him to play so we're going to call him up for a cup of coffee in a few weeks" move at all!) the more pissed I get. Still have a good squad, but with Francis, and Morneau and (was never going to happen I know) Jason Bay we'd challenge for the gold. :|

EDIT: my interest in the Oly baseball tourney relates to my long-held belief that no sport in the world needs a "World Cup" style international best-on-best competition more than baseball. God it would rule.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I need to know when does the opening ceromony start

Also, I'll be rooting for Algeria and Iraq. Iraq beat Portugal 4-2 today so I'm happy:)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
psycho_snake said:
I need to know when does the opening ceromony start

Also, I'll be rooting for Algeria and Iraq. Iraq beat Portugal 4-2 today so I'm happy:)

Opening Ceremony
ETA 80 minutes

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's on in a few more minutes, atm watching a re-run of the entire Sydney opening cermony - being Australian meant it was pretty cool :p

I remember once riding the train to north Sydney and seeing the flame from an hour's long view away or so, hoping against hope that the fire will accidentally be doused out.

Trevelyon

Uh, I didn't know it was starting so soon, I thought we were still few days out.

Not that I will be really watching much. :/

Scoobert

Lisa Lashes said:
Ya. "World Series" is funny when all it includes is USA and Canada.

It does? How about all those players from other countries? It's taking the best players from around the world and putting them in one league. It really does become a "World Series."

Greekboy

Banned
Scoobert said:
It does? How about all those players from other countries? It's taking the best players from around the world and putting them in one league. It really does become a "World Series."

Nice try.

yoshifumi

Banned
usa men's gymnastics has a shot at a medal this year i think. a long shot, but still a shot. all i care to watch are gymnastics and judo this year.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Scoobert said:
LOL

Suranga3

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Have the athletes been introduced yet? Flag bearers from each country? Or did I not miss it?

Not yet, but soon. I'm pretty impressed by the opening ceremonies thus far.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Desperado said:
How many more years does NBC have the Olympic broadcasting rights? I hate the way they cover it.

Amen. This last Summer Olympics was the worst. Before an event, they'd show an athlete exposé, which was always sickly sentimental. Then, to our shock, that athlete would go on to win the event! Every. Single. Time. That's why I'm going to try and see most of the events Live this year.

And the team of Katie Couric and Bob Costas is insufferable. Drinking game: take a shot whenever one of these yahoos insults another culture during the Opening Ceremonies.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
They could at least turn up the volume. There'll be plenty of opportunities to watch the athletes later on. Meh... what a disappointment.

Phoenix

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Have the athletes been introduced yet? Flag bearers from each country? Or did I not miss it?

You can get athlete lists and start lists from SportsIllustrated olympics coverage which again this time out is heads and tails above anyone elses :)

SI Olympics Coverage

Can we get this bitch stickied?

Interested to see if Phelps can even come close to the eight medals he's aiming for.

I'll be amazed if he manages to equal or dethrone Spitz.

Tool

Banned
I heard on the news this morning that the U.S. women's swim team's outfits were sort of "see through" and they only found out after they went into the water. Apparently they had to add special lining in the suits to cover them up. Anyone have pics of this glorious accident?

DaveH

To NBC's credit, for the first time ever, ALL Olympic sports are being shown... that means you can get your Olympic caliber badminton, handball, and table tennis fixes... finally! In all seriousness, I'm sure there's some fringe sports that interest people out there that they'd rather watch in its entirety versus as a sentimental montage of clips.

Hey, does anybody know how I can mask what country I am coming from so I can get BBC net coverage instead of not seeing half of the news.bbc.co.uk front page?

DaveH said:
To NBC's credit, for the first time ever, ALL Olympic sports are being shown... that means you can get your Olympic caliber badminton, handball, and table tennis fixes... finally! In all seriousness, I'm sure there's some fringe sports that interest people out there that they'd rather watch in its entirety versus as a sentimental montage of clips.

Fencing comes to mind. I would also like to see things like the bike races (in the velodrome). I have never seen handball, and good ping pong might be entertaining to watch for 5 minutes. Its not like I see them all the time, if ever.

Fjord

The CBC has nothing better to show so we get every event and then reruns of half of them =)

Amazing how many of the flagbearers were competing in Judo, must have been close to a third of them.

Greekboy

Banned
Meatpuppet said:
Can we get this bitch stickied?

Interested to see if Phelps can even come close to the eight medals he's aiming for.

I'll be amazed if he manages to equal or dethrone Spitz.

Ya but getting 8 gold medals will be too tough to accomplish IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom