• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2004 Summer Olympics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I agree that calling a timeout in that situation is unnecessary, but it's not grounds for a screaming fit at the end of the game is it?. Obviously this coach just lost it under the pressure. He was expected to beat the team and country everybody loves to hate and when he didn't he just lost it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's more than unnecessary though, if Brown had just called the timeout at that point it would have been entirely disrespectful. The reason to call a timeout is to gain your team's composure and plan how to score more essentially. If he did that with 30 seconds and a 16 point lead, I'd be screaming at him myself.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Guileless said:
I agree that calling a timeout in that situation is unnecessary, but it's not grounds for a screaming fit at the end of the game is it?. Obviously this coach just lost it under the pressure. He was expected to beat the team and country everybody loves to hate and when he didn't he just lost it.

Seeing how Larry called for the timeout with 1:40 left in the game and was awarded it at :30, I don't see what the deal is. In International play, the coach requests a time out and it is up to the officials when he gets the timeout. There are other circumstances as well, but it isn't like in the NBA when you get the TO right after you ask for it. So the Spanish coach should be upset with the officials if anyone.

Those are the facts of what happened. That is why no one really understood why the Spanish coach was so upset.

Guileless

But wasn't Spain still trying to score and win? I would understand more if Spain had given up and was just letting us dribble it out, but weren't they pressing and trying to get steals? According to ESPN, it was an 11 point lead with 23 seconds. I agree at that point of the game it's borderline to call a timeout, but you don't scream at people for borderline things. You scream at them when they obviously cross a line.

If the US had come out of the timeout and run a play to set up a 3 pt shot, then he would have a point. That's not what happened. Nobody can convince me that simply calling a timeout in that situation is disrespectful enough to warrant a screaming match.

dskillzhtown

Guileless said:
But wasn't Spain still trying to score and win? I would understand more if Spain had given up and was just letting us dribble it out, but weren't they pressing and trying to get steals? According to ESPN, it was an 11 point lead with 23 seconds. I agree at that point of the game it's borderline to call a timeout, but you don't scream at people for borderline things. You scream at them when they obviously cross a line.

If the US had come out of the timeout and run a play to set up a 3 pt shot, then he would have a point. That's not what happened. Nobody can convince me that simply calling a timeout in that situation is disrespectful enough to warrant a screaming match.

At 1:40, when the timeout was first called, the game was really up in the air and that is when Spain started the press. The US weathered the storm due to Spain missing like 4 straight shots. Then THAT is when the officials finally gave the US the TO, at :23. So at 1:40, the US needed the TO, they didn't need it when the officials finally gave it to them. So there is no reason the Spanish coach should have been pissed at all. I am in full agreement with you. I got up early to watch the game so I saw all this going on live and had the benefit of live explanation.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm not saying the Spanish coach should have been pissed knowing what we do, but he saw Larry Brown walk over to the scorer's table at about 30 seconds left, and then a timeout was called with 23 seconds left. After the game, he refused Brown's handshake and that caused the argument. In his position, it is understandable.

Miguel

US vs Brazil in Soccer, 2nd ET.

Brazil with a Free Kick from about 22 feet out.

Can you say penalty kicks? COME ON! 12 more minutes of scoreless ball!

You've already done 108 minutes!

Stele

Holds a little red book
luvaboi217 said:
"Once every four years, Phelps and Carly Patterson and Justin Gatlin get an opportunity to strike it rich. They go all out. Don't romanticize it. They're chasing money -- endorsement opportunities -- just like the NBA players. "

That guy makes me sick. What does he know about these people. Does he think these people spend their entire lives training probably 10+ hours a day to POSSIBLY make a lil money at the olympics. Most olympians would probably be better off working at mcdonalds during those hours and make more money.
He obviously doesn't know those athletes have dozens of meets each year to chase after money, and an annual world championships, which is on the same level as the Olympics.

G4life98

To me it seems like the spanish coach was acting like a child and wouldnt listen to larry's explaination of what happened at the end of the game.

after all the shit this team has taken from every direction...i really want them to win gold.

dskillzhtown

Archaix said:
I'm not saying the Spanish coach should have been pissed knowing what we do, but he saw Larry Brown walk over to the scorer's table at about 30 seconds left, and then a timeout was called with 23 seconds left. After the game, he refused Brown's handshake and that caused the argument. In his position, it is understandable.

Larry went to the table to cancel the timeout request, they didn't wave the request. They gave it to him anyway. That is what Larry said and what the broadcasters said at the time of the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
dskillzhtown said:
Larry went to the table to cancel the timeout request, they didn't wave the request. They gave it to him anyway. That is what Larry said and what the broadcasters said at the time of the game.

Again, I know this. The spanish coach did not. And yet again, knowing what we do, it seems entirely out of line for him to be that upset over it. But, one more time, the Spanish coach did not know it.

dskillzhtown

Stele said:
He obviously doesn't know those athletes have dozens of meets each year to chase after money, and an annual world championships, which is on the same level as the Olympics.

Exactly. Not like the other athletes are competing for the "joy of the game". People are paid if they get medals, they are competing to get sponsors and have "seasons" like the NBA players. Not like they are all athletes whose family had to have bake sales to send them to Athens.

Miguel

USA! USA!

<Nomar> Hey, guess what, we beat the Astros today.
<Mia> Oh really?
<Nomar> Yeah, how was your day? Anything interesting happen?
<Mia> Well, not much, I just won gold in the Olympics.
<Nomar> ...whore

Guileless

I understand that the Spanish coach didn't know that Brown tried to cancel the timeout, which makes his position even more indefensible. My point is that even if Larry Brown had called the timeout when El Sore Loser Coacho thought he did, it's no reason to start yelling and pointing. It's just a damn timeout. It's harmless.

Maybe he could say, "Senor Brown, why did you call a timeout late in the game? I object to that." But don't start yelling and pointing like Larry Brown just knocked up your sister. If you're that sensitive about the timing of timeouts maybe it's time to switch jobs.

MIMIC

Banned
slamak-olympiada-1_1093290533.jpg

lol

Ripclawe

Banned
Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
USA 28 31 24 83
Russia 15 19 23 57
China 25 17 12 54
Australia 16 11 16 43
Germany 10 11 14 35

ROLLIN!!!!

MASB

I just wanted to throw in this quick comment about the US Women losing to Brazil in the Volleyball event. During the game, the commentators were talking about rumors that the best or one of the best US players, Logan Tom, was going to switch to beach volleyball. The way they said it, it was like "Man! Can't wait to see her body out on the sand!" lol

Stele

Holds a little red book
Ripclawe said:
Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
USA 28 31 24 83
Russia 15 19 23 57
China 25 17 12 54
Australia 16 11 16 43
Germany 10 11 14 35

ROLLIN!!!!
3 more days. U.S. needs 12 more golds (14 medals) to beat Sydney. Don't see it happening.

kevm3

So has USA basketball become fundamentally sound again after we heartily beat a favorite to win the gold in a 5 and 0, 'fundamentally amazing' Spain? Oh no, I forgot, only losses can be indicative of the status of the NBA... And it was pure athleticism that made Marbury's shots drop.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10583909%5E601,00.html

THE defiant taunts cascaded down from the Olympic stadium grandstands for minutes. "Hellas, Hellas," followed by "Kenteris, Kenteris" - an angry display that held up the main event of Thursday's athletics program.

Kostas Kenteris, the disgraced Greek hero who was supposed to give the host nation the defining moment of its games, was unable to defend his Olympic 200m title after withdrawing under the cloud of a doping scandal. Tens of thousands of Greeks made sure the whole world would hear his name and their support.

"Kenteris is in our hearts, he should be here," said Greek fan Maria Ferti as she left the stadium immediately after Shawn Crawford led a US sweep of the medals.

The American triple only went to prove her conspiracy theory. Kenteris was just too good to be allowed in the race. "They did it because the Americans didn't like Kenteris," she said.

MUHA HA HA HA HA HA
We spite you!

Mashing

I truely hope that they never hold the Olympics in Greece again.. their fans have pretty poor sportsmanship.

Bunch of whiny ass bitches

Stele

Holds a little red book
We don't have to. He's the defending Olympic champion on 200m. That's already "holy shit" right there. I can't remember watching a single 200m (or 100) event that a white guy has won in, and this has nothing to do with racism.

Guileless

GAF Greeks, help me out here. Do y'all think that the US somehow falsified Kenteris's drug tests? That's the impression I'm getting. Is there any evidence of that? At all?

MASB

I can't say much for the intelligence of the Greek crowd at the stadium, if they really believe a conspiracy is afoot. From all I've read, Kenteris was just a dope who couldn't hide his drug taking ways in hilarious fashion. It seems like he was literally outrunning the drug testers and may have even faked an accident to get out of a drug test.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Guileless said:
GAF Greeks, help me out here. Do y'all think that the US somehow falsified Kenteris's drug tests? That's the impression I'm getting. Is there any evidence of that? At all?

I'm not greek but i know Kenteris missed a drug test two days or so before the olympics started. This has nothing to do with the United States, and all international track athletes are required to be drug tested under the IAAF. Missing a drug test is as bad as failing one, and this was the second time he had missed one. He was dodging the tests and the greek people are obviously misinformed. Not only this but the greek head coach's house was raided and drugs were found there also hanging a clould over all greek track and field athletes.

Guileless

OK, I read what happened on ESPN.com. These two Greek sprinters didn't show up at their scheduled drug test and then got in a very suspicious "motorcycle accident" which precluded them from being tested. Now where does the US conspiracy come in?

Edit: thanks for that explanation deadlifter. The TV commentators tonight on NBC were saying that the Greek newspapers were enflaming the situation and saying that it was the US's fault. I just don't understand what their specific allegations are about the US being responsible for their sprinters not going to drug tests.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Guileless said:
OK, I read what happened on ESPN.com. These two Greek sprinters didn't show up at their scheduled drug test and then got in a very suspicious "motorcycle accident" which precluded them from being tested. Now where does the US conspiracy come in?

nowhere the greeks in the crowd just didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Guileless

The NBC guys said that the Greeks were so mad and behaved so badly because they believe that an American conspiracy kept the Greek sprinters out of the games. I'm just trying to figure out how the conspiracy worked specifically. For so many people to believe this surely there must be some shred of truth or evidence to it right?

Drunk soccer fans hate the other team because they're the other team. The hate doesn't typically involve elaborate conspiracy theories.

Ripclawe

Banned
MASB said:
I just wanted to throw in this quick comment about the US Women losing to Brazil in the Volleyball event. During the game, the commentators were talking about rumors that the best or one of the best US players, Logan Tom, was going to switch to beach volleyball. The way they said it, it was like "Man! Can't wait to see her body out on the sand!" lol
oh my...

http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/289/default.asp?area=&id=289&page=10

the one of the left..

http://www.fhmus.com/images/girls/screensaver/1152_864_olympics.jpg

Logan Tom

Team bonding
“I drink too much sometimes. My teammates and I are allowed to have somewhat of a life. When we go to clubs, you can’t miss us. We’re huge! Shit, I’m the short one on the team, and I’m 6-foot-1. We like dancing with each other. We’ll grind and do whatever, because I’d rather dance with them. I’m like, ‘Wait a second. I’m straight, right?’”

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Guileless said:
The NBC guys said that the Greeks were so mad and behaved so badly because they believe that an American conspiracy kept the Greek sprinters out of the games. I'm just trying to figure out how the conspiracy worked specifically. For so many people to believe this surely there must be some shred of truth or evidence to it right?

Drunk soccer fans hate the other team because they're the other team. The hate doesn't typically involve elaborate conspiracy theories.

Nope, the fans were just using the americans as a scapegoat since they were so angry Kenteris wasn't there, and the US almost always has the top sprinters. I was pretty dissapointed with the greeks since they seemed to conduct themselves with honor up to this point.

effzee

was the US vs Spain basketball game even televised? and when is the next game?

btw besides the racist charge i agree with the article. some people seem to be rooting against team usa just to see them fail. is the best team we could have sent? no. are they best together? no...they didnt even get to train...they just started playing together. but are these the guys who wanted to go? hell yeah, hell AI went thru a whole yr of basically begging to be put on the team. some players dropped out and it would have been better if they were on it. just cause we arent dominating doesnt meant they dont want it. we all have to admit the intetnational game has improved tremendously.

Speaking of great Olympic sports, rhythmic gymnastics is fucking awesome! Some of the things the girls were doing with (particularly) the hoop was just awesome -- Cirque du Soleil type shit!

Too bad the network down here only showed about minutes of it (a time filler for halftime at the water polo). Maybe if an Aussie girl qualifies, we'll get to see more of it.

Guileless

Damn that's a hatchet job. Lots of sportswriters hate Larry Brown. He still didn't convince me that taking a timeout is, in and of itself, humiliating. I've watched a lot of basketball and I've never been offended by a late timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom