• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2004 Summer Olympics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradox

You guys forget the bronze game is on right now?

US doing pretty good. They'll probly blow it in the last 5 mins though.

yoshifumi

Banned
damn i missed all the good gymnastics discussion (no internet). anyways i think paul hamm didn't really deserve a high bar medal, but the all around gold is rightfully his, and pretty much the entire event finals judging was pretty fucked up. but that's gymnastics for you, that happens a lot, which is a shame.

Che

Banned
Guileless said:
GAF Greeks, help me out here. Do y'all think that the US somehow falsified Kenteris's drug tests? That's the impression I'm getting. Is there any evidence of that? At all?

Pfft no way. Greeks are way too smart (and sly) to think that. Actually from the time of the "accident" everyone was saying that they're guilty. It's more that the US (and UK) mission and journalists were pushing IOC too much to do these drug tests (or what's the media are saying here), instead o minding their own business, especially when there are doubts for the American team about the drugs. Not that what happened to Kenteris wasn't fair, the asshole disgrased us all but add the blind patriotism some rednecks have here, add the hate many many Greeks have for the US... well that did the job.

Memles

Man...Canada just can't have a good day overall.

Gold, Silver, Bronze from Kayaking and Sailing...and then the person expected to win Gold finished Fourth.

Defending World Champions in both Tower Events in Diving, and two fourth place finishes. Sigh.

Good day overall...but it will be the worst medal total yet, barring a miracle.

Kifimbo

Memles said:
Good day overall...but it will be the worst medal total yet, barring a miracle.

Hum, we won 10 in Seoul, 11 in Montreal, 5 in Munich and Mexico, etc. It's far from our worst medal total. Bu I agree, it's disapointing. The only way we can save this is with 2 medals in wrestling tomorrow.

Pimpwerx

They should cease to use the name Dream Team from now on. This year's team is a fucking travesty of titanic proportions. A bigger flop than AVP. A national embarassment. Thanks to whoever posted that highlight vid of the 1992 Dream Team, the REAL Dream Team. Never been touched. A team of legends some of whom were past their prime, and they'd still run circles around anyone. I watched the first quarter of the US Women's game today, and I have to agree that the men could learn a thing about teamwork from the girls. They know how to work a zone betteron D and O. The men are clueless, and God, could someone teach these guys to shoot? How come they can nail a 20-footer with someone draped on them like a rug during the regular season, but they are supreme choke artists come Olympic time? Poor Larry Brown, saddled with another worthless team. It's his curse I guess. PEACE.

Memles

Kifimbo said:
Hum, we won 10 in Seoul, 11 in Montreal, 5 in Munich and Mexico, etc. It's far from our worst medal total. Bu I agree, it's disapointing. The only way we can save this is with 2 medals in wrestling tomorrow.

Could have sworn that last year's 14 was some kind of record.

I mean...Five Medals everyone counted on (Hurdles, Triathalon, Platform Men's and Women's, Men's 8s in Rowing) faiil to materialize, but we finish first in track cycling? It was more of a disappointment than it was a failure. Some surprises, but the expected medalists failed to come through.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Only one press member said it like it was. Steve "Snapper" Jones on the NBC-HD coverage. He said that the team's make up was flawed as there aren't enough shooters and role players to do the dirty work. Also he said that coaching is to blame as well. He said that Larry's substitution patterns were flawed as he didn't give Labron any time on the court, even though everytime he got in the game, he gave the team a spark. He also said that Larry coached like it was an NBA game, not an international game. Namely the dependance on Tim Duncan when in International play the big man is not nearly as important. There is plenty of blame to go around in this. Players, coaches, team make up, refs, etc. But I think that if these players and coaches would have adjusted to the international play we would have a gold even with these players.

Pimpwerx said:
They should cease to use the name Dream Team from now on. This year's team is a fucking travesty of titanic proportions. A bigger flop than AVP. A national embarassment. Thanks to whoever posted that highlight vid of the 1992 Dream Team, the REAL Dream Team. Never been touched. A team of legends some of whom were past their prime, and they'd still run circles around anyone. I watched the first quarter of the US Women's game today, and I have to agree that the men could learn a thing about teamwork from the girls. They know how to work a zone betteron D and O. The men are clueless, and God, could someone teach these guys to shoot? How come they can nail a 20-footer with someone draped on them like a rug during the regular season, but they are supreme choke artists come Olympic time? Poor Larry Brown, saddled with another worthless team. It's his curse I guess. PEACE.

Admittedly, the term "Dream Team" should be reserved for really great teams, but
what's wrong with a bronze? Goodness, I can't believe people are so upset over a bronze. Some countries would probably be thrilled to even get a medal at all. Some sports commentators sound like spoiled brats when they complain over a medal.

Argentina wins Basketball AND soccer gold. THe only other Argentinian athlete i know of celebrates.
batistuta.jpg

"WOOT!"

G4life98

eggplant said:
Admittedly, the term "Dream Team" should be reserved for really great teams, but
what's wrong with a bronze? Goodness, I can't believe people are so upset over a bronze. Some countries would probably be thrilled to even get a medal at all. Some sports commentators sound like spoiled brats when they complain over a medal.

but those guys didnt play for some other country with low expectation...they were sent there to win gold and they failed, so they are losers and hopeffully this will go far in teaching usa basketball how to put together a more complete team and inspire some of the better players to play next time in bejing.

G4life98 said:
but those guys didnt play for some other country with low expectation...they were sent there to win gold and they failed, so they are losers and hopeffully this will go far in teaching usa basketball how to put together a more complete team and inspire some of the better players to play next time in bejing.

Come on, it's a game. Everyone should hope that their team wins a gold. It's even better when an underdog wins anyways.

G4life98

eggplant said:
Come on, it's a game. Everyone should hope that their team wins a gold. It's even better when an underdog wins anyways.

well like the man said, "winning isnt everything...its the only thing"

DJ_Tet

Banned
This team (US Basketball) was flawed but no one who actually watched the game can fault their effort. They are taking/gonna take a lot of shit for the Bronze, but it was a toss-up from not winning a medal at all. As an American all too familiar with the problems of the NBA game, I thought this team made a lot of progress together, and never quit (well maybe against Puerto Rico but I missed that game). Their problems have been very well documented, so no real need to delve into it. I'll just say I was impressed we beat Lithuania today dispite giving up 21 threes. There were a lot of questionable calls against this team, but they carried themselves with class throughout, unlike the opponents. They won the bronze, and hopefully the NBA and the next international teams will learn some valuable lessons on team play.

If this makes the NBA a watchable product again, I'm all for it. Let's learn to pass the ball, set picks, run backdoor screens, and get open shots again. We taught the Euros how to play, it's time for us to learn again.

And LeBron, being the best passer on the team, should have played a hell of a lot more. I agree that Larry did a bad job of subs, or lack thereof.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Memles said:
Defending World Champions in both Tower Events in Diving, and two fourth place finishes. Sigh.
It was so hilarious that NBC kept on building up Despatie even up to the finals when they knew he was going to lose. Too much variables in diving to expect champions to repeat consecutively.

Memles

Stele said:
It was so hilarious that NBC kept on building up Despatie even up to the finals when they knew he was going to lose. Too much variables in diving to expect champions to repeat consecutively.

I caught NBC's Springboard Finals coverage of Despatie.

"He needs 8s to get on the Awards Stand"

What the fuck? Awards Stand? The woman was on cocaine, I guarantee it. Who the hell calls it an awards stand? It's a podium! I laughed so hard at that...I was almost literally on the floor.

Stele

Holds a little red book
That woman (Cynthia Potter) serves almost no purpose with her presence, which makes the other guy she's with even more useless. After a couple hearings of her commentary on the diver's technique, I could practically do the calling for her. The funniest thing is when she completely pulls shit out of her ass. Like when a diver rotates in their moves and right when their face is lined up with the water, she always claims they're looking at the water to make sure their entry is right. She's either a mind reader or a master of the obvious.

Diffense

'Awards stand' actually makes alot more sense in this context than podium notwithstanding the fact that most people say podium.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ahahahahahahaha @ the marathon leader getting jumped

well he isn't leading anymore

Tenguman

jobber said:
ahahahahahahaha @ the marathon leader getting jumped
How is that funny?! He got hurt and lost 30seconds off his lead. His dream of getting a Gold is over cause of shit-faced Greek security.

Matlock

Banned
Shompola said:
ohh man that taekwondo final match between the korean and the greek ended fast.

Yeah. I was watching that, kind of rooting for the greek.

...AND THEN HE GOT KICKED IN THE HEAD. KO.

:-\

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Tenguman said:
How is that funny?! He got hurt and lost 30seconds off his lead. His dream of getting a Gold is over cause of shit-faced Greek security.

I was what the guy had on. Looks like a sweedish guy from Bush Gardens

Ripclawe

Banned
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/29/sports1436EDT0252.DTL

The defrocked Irish priest who bolted from the crowd and tackled the marathon leader about three miles from the finish Sunday has been arrested before for disrupting sporting events.

Athens police sources identified the intruder as Cornelius Horan, who has been barred from practicing as a priest for the past decade. He once published a book called "A glorious new world very soon to come" that predicted the world would soon end.

The attacker Sunday night had a piece of paper attached to his back bearing the message: "The Grand Prix Priest Israel Fulfillment of Prophecy Says the Bible."

In July 2003, Horan, in a costume similar to Sunday's, ran onto the track at the British Grand Prix in the middle of the race and stayed there for more than 20 seconds, forcing Formula One racers traveling at more than 200 mph to swerve around him. He was carrying a sign that said: "Read the Bible -- the Bible is always right."

British authorities said Horan also attempted a protest on Wimbledon's Center Court during a rain break, and tried to disrupt cricket and rugby matches.

On Sunday, Horan jumped from the crowd, ran across the street and grabbed Lima. A policeman following the leader on a bicycle jumped off and helped free the Brazilian.

Che

Banned
Damn Colin Powell didn't came to the closing ceremony. I was expecting that like forever. That would make the closing ceremony the most interesting ceremony in the history of the Olympics. Damn...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow, how many judges have been suspended this Olympics? Just yesterday I was watching diving and they said there was no longer a Chinese judge b/c he was banned for highly questionable scoring, and now I just heard in Water Polo that a Croatian judge was banned for a year after some calls in a US-Italy game. The funny thing is, the announcers talk about it like it's no big deal.

Memles

Diffense said:
'Awards stand' actually makes alot more sense in this context than podium notwithstanding the fact that most people say podium.

I think of a small wooden object where I put awards. They sit there to be ogled. That is not what people stand on.

The CBC person doing diving annoys me too, mind you. Her calls are fine, I think, but I have fun predictiing what she'll say. By the time I watched like 5 hours of diving in total, I was in sync with her analysis.

"That's a bit of a miss" has been added into my vocabulary. "Awards Stand" has not.

Trevelyon

capt.lon81608292031.britain_olympics_marathon_lon816.jpg

capt.oly11308291900.greece_olympics_marathon_oly113.jpg

This is an undated file photo of former priest Cornelius Horan, who ran on to the track in Athens, attacking the front runner in the men's Olympic marathon race, Sunday Aug. 29, 2004.

What a fuckin' loon.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
After hearing other countries national anthem I think US's sounds the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom