• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] AC: Valhalla - XsX vs PS5 - The first REAL head to head battle.

sinnergy

DAMAGE CONTROL! Gap will only WIDEN once devs start using that GE BEAST Custom pipeline!

Xbox went the Pc route but this ain´t Ps3 Gen again, Cerny delivered a Custom solution that completely crushes SX on top of being easy to use (unlike Ps3), First Party tittles difference will be bigger than 360 vs Ps3 Gen, you won´t even need DF to tell you.

Pack it Up.
The hyperbole of you fans is amazing ... I swear the last days reading this crap , my IQ drops with 3 points each time ...

(not much left )

Last edited:
Good to see evidence after months of listening to "lol 12tflops, ps5 iz 1440p! series s pushes it!" bullshit :messenger_savoring:

As psychological phenomenon it is interesting, that how people with long history of gaming + tech knowledge tried to explain it (me included) how Tflops is just one piece of puzzle, APIs, customization, talent of devs, dev tools, funding and many other things have bigger role on the output

Yet certain type of people always dismissed it as "lmao damage control! there is no secret sauce LMAO deal with it!!" because they project their own style of reacting to others too. (feeling based vs logic + knowledge based)

My conclusion of this psychological phenomenon is, that they are stubborn retards:messenger_beaming: (Just kidding, they are just ignorant and way too biased for tech talk)

For future games I would assume that it is kind of 50/50 situation, one system wins sometimes by small margin or they are ~identical.

Lord Saviour Cerny knew what he is doing, he didnt want to plead to masses with biggest cock numbers, but engineer quality console without bottle necks:messenger_savoring:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There's a problem in capturing games on both consoles it seems

Emrh0B5XcAA0pgI

Could be the capturing tools are outdated, not the consoles themselves. Very few devices out there support HDMI 2.1.

PS5 does 4K@60fps HDR recording internally anyway, automatically up to 15 minutes (last 15min), or as long as you can with Share Factory Studio app inside PS5.

Last edited:
Any side trying to claim a victory after that video isn't right in the head. They are as near to identical as you are ever going to get on 2 different machines.

At least until we have an average resolution declared!

Both being nearly equal is major win for Sony. People have argued that they are going xbox for best looking multiplats and Sony being just exclusives machines.

As it looks so far "sacrafice" of going with just PS5 is going to be minimal and hard to notice while you keep 500 euro in pocket.

No V-Sync on XseX means I will play the PS5 version then.

There was no surprise in the video at all (Except for the vsync, this is very disappointing, I hope they fix it)

No Vsync might be a result of Microsoft supporting VRR - in that case they would want uncapped frame rates in games.

Never seen so many pages in such a short space of time

Wow wow wee wow!

Some non-fanboi want to give me a TL;DL? I'm supposed to be working....:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't think PS5 is punching above its weight. Didn't Capcom have issues even running RE8 on PS5 according to some leaks? That gave me the impression Xbox was ahead. I don't know whats true, both could be behind.

PS5 is custom built. Its like saying that iMac is weaksauce if you look at specsheet but outperforms a Windows notebook. The difference won't be huge but I don't think you're going to see a 20% more powerful performance on Xbox just because its GPU is 20% more powerful.

Last edited:
The capture for XSX is not a good representation of what it actually looks in person like so obviously an issue there.

Would have been nice to see how both hold up once you get to England with the bigger towns as it seems XSX drops more frames there from my personal experience.

I guess I'll see if the Dual Sense really is a case of the Emperor's new cloths or not next week when I get my PS5 as Karak didn't seem that impressed. If performance is this close and Dual Sense does add something I'll probably be buying a lot more multiplats on PS this time.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I don't think PS5 is punching above its weight. Didn't Capcom have issues even running RE8 on PS5? That gave me the impression Xbox was ahead. PS5 is custom built. Its like saying that iMac is weaksauce if you look at specsheet but outperforms a Windows notebook. The difference won't be huge but I don't think you're going to see a 20% more powerful performance on Xbox just because its GPU is 20% more powerful.

I believe the Resident Evil stuff was BS in the end. Both machines will mature and the devs will be able to get more out of them.

SkylineRKR

I believe the Resident Evil stuff was BS in the end. Both machines will mature and the devs will be able to get more out of them.

Yeah I think both sides are bs. I doubt anything is behind. Both systems will see improvements over time as we've seen last generation. But I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 has some tricks because its specific architecture, Sony always had.

But history did teach us that differences kind of persist. Like 360 games almost always having better perf than PS3 games, PS4 games better than X1 etc. If thats an indication the differences will be really small this time around.

Last edited:

Allandor

Or maybe just a crappy capture? Who knows.

WTF?

why did he than even tries to pixelcount etc if it was just a performance video? There are really many odd things about this comparison.
But what really is a problem are the weather conditions, those have a big impact on the light and therefore make it hard to compare.

But in the end, it is good that both version look at least almost the same.

WTF?

why did he than even tries to pixelcount etc if it was just a performance video? There are really many odd things about this comparison.
But what really is a problem are the weather conditions, those have a big impact on the light and therefore make it hard to compare.

But in the end, it is good that both version look at least almost the same.
I don't want to shit on NXGamer, I like some of his work and I praised the guy many times before on this forum. But this video just seems to be rushed for the sake of being first to do this kind of comparison.

ToadMan

There's a tiny difference that isn't worth arguing over. This isn't 900p V 1080p., this is literally minute differences. If you find yourself fighting with a microscope then you really need to reassess why you're fighting.

Yep this is true. But there is the issue of the value proposition of the consoles resulting from this.

Xsex was supposed be

Cheaper, better at BC, better at multiplats and of course have a bunch of exclusives from all those studios MS has.

All of those sales points have disappeared - so for the consumers out there in the real world, Xsex is overpriced and underpowered. They can get a console for $100 less that does it all as good or even better.

That’s really what this data means. The actual FPS and res aren’t really important because no one could tell them apart side by side. It’s the loss of what should have been an advantage to Xsex that’s the problem.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't want to shit on NXGamer, I like some of his work and I praised the guy many times before on this forum. But this video just seems to be rushed for the sake of being first to do this kind of comparison.

hes probably getting hammered left right and center to get something out and well c'mon this is a side project for the fella and being first out the gate with this will bring him in the views/subscribers and help his channel grow, i havent watched it personally as it was still processing!? when i clicked on it but we all know the dude is 100% and he'll no doubt go into deep dives in further videos so i can easily forgive him for rushing one out to take advantage of the tide

hes probably getting hammered left right and center to get something out and well c'mon this is a side project for the fella and being first out the gate with this will bring him in the views/subscribers and help his channel grow, i havent watched it personally as it was still processing!? when i clicked on it but we all know the dude is 100% and he'll no doubt go into deep dives in further videos so i can easily forgive him for rushing one out to take advantage of the tide
I agree.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So NXGamer used shitty poorly captured footage, didn't show any examples of resolution counting, didn't give the list of possible resolutions, didn't give an actual minimum resolution, didn't give a percentage time at certain resolutions, said the PS5 version didn't tear when it has been confirmed everywhere else that it does, and people still think his analysis is amazing? lol

Did he get a Series X today? Because he didn't have one yesterday. His youtube account has multiple hands on videos of the PS5, but not a single video about the Xbox. I'm inclined to believe that he didn't even capture this footage by himself, which is why his "analysis" doesn't contain any actual evidence of anything that he says.

Tajaz2426

So NXGamer used shitty poorly captured footage, didn't show any examples of resolution counting, didn't give the list of possible resolutions, didn't give an actual minimum resolution, didn't give a percentage time at certain resolutions, said the PS5 version didn't tear when it has been confirmed everywhere else that it does, and people still think his analysis is amazing? lol

Did he get a Series X today? Because he didn't have one yesterday. His youtube account has multiple hands on videos of the PS5, but not a single video about the Xbox. I'm inclined to believe that he didn't even capture this footage by himself, which is why his "analysis" doesn't contain any actual evidence of anything that he says.
Stop it is his footage and he is doing a deeper dive. John from digital foundry already stated that he is correct, it runs better on PS5 in his tweet.

We should be happy that both consoles hold 60 and look as good as they do. Not everything has to be a warrior call to arms.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yep this is true. But there is the issue of the value proposition of the consoles resulting from this.

Xsex was supposed be

Cheaper, better at BC, better at multiplats and of course have a bunch of exclusives from all those studios MS has.

All of those sales points have disappeared - so for the consumers out there in the real world, Xsex is overpriced and underpowered. They can get a console for $100 less that does it all as good or even better.

That’s really what this data means. The actual FPS and res aren’t really important because no one could tell them apart side by side. It’s the loss of what should have been an advantage to Xsex that’s the problem.

I'd call that a different issue though. I think, and most people would agree, that the main reason people buy consoles is for the exclusives, at least those on forums. That creates buzz online which filters through to other more mainstream media such as Twitter. From there, those who don't frequent forums become part of the hype market. But there IS another market that only plays games like FIFA, COD or Madden and don't even consider the exclusives. This is a more fickle market, will only buy 3 - 4 games a year, but will look at the price. If you're a developer, the market you are more likely to want to succeed is the market that fosters diverse and loyal supporters. THIS is what Sony have tapped into and Nintendo of course.

These comparisons ONLY effect us, a tiny percentage of the gaming community.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

listen man i didnt see the video, im just stating why i think he put the vid up.. to capture the massive interest in wanting to see a comparison and im pretty sure as hes done in his numerous other videos stated reasons for his opinions

Xsex was supposed be

Yep the PS5 looks like it'll be the 'multiplat king' for want of a better phrase this gen, especially with the DualSense controller and audio being so good.

What's awkward for Xbox is PS5 is already defacto exclusive king as well (or at least until 2023 when all these XGS titles hit but I wont hold my breath). They look like they've sewn both ends up.

Last edited:
It is really fascinating how Sony fans come up with all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify PS5 being what they call optimized machine. Pickup dmcV DF vídeo. Quality mode, with rushed RT implementation on the Series X: XSX delivering more pixels and performance (some scenes +30fps diff). Then we have the opposite scenario in performance mode. Therefore, there is a clear issue with XSX APIs but when it comes to brute force it is clear that XSX is a more capable machine. I expect this to become more evident over time as devs move from PS4 being the baseline to the newer machines.

Ok.

In both way, tech is impressive. Its not an AC Unity situation again. Things will be really great on both hardwares. PC will always be better but not with a gap between both worlds like it used to be in the past.

PS5 will likely always be the primary hardware (PS4 is the way to do as well as PS2 thanks to its 3 more years support) so i guess devs will always put all their efforts on it.

It's kind of a disappointing for XBOX after all the talks about it's power. It is powerfull but not that more powerfull (it's not a NeoGeo VS NES). It should have shined from the start. It won't be a PS4 pro VS Xbox one X situation again but this time both hardwares getting more or less the same results.

But is this game any good? Is it better than Ghost of Tsushima? Is it better than Unity and Syndicate? I hated with passion the two last AC.

ToadMan

I'd call that a different issue though. I think, and most people would agree, that the main reason people buy consoles is for the exclusives, at least those on forums. That creates buzz online which filters through to other more mainstream media such as Twitter. From there, those who don't frequent forums become part of the hype market. But there IS another market that only plays games like FIFA, COD or Madden and don't even consider the exclusives. This is a more fickle market, will only buy 3 - 4 games a year, but will look at the price. If you're a developer, the market you are more likely to want to succeed is the market that fosters diverse and loyal supporters. THIS is what Sony have tapped into and Nintendo of course.

These comparisons ONLY effect us, a tiny percentage of the gaming community.

Oh yeah totally agree.

I was just trying to offer a rationale for why these comparisons showing imperceptible differences are meaningful in terms of the marketplace.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Stop it is his footage and he is doing a deeper dive. John from digital foundry already stated that he is correct, it runs better on PS5 in his tweet.

We should be happy that both consoles hold 60 and look as good as they do. Not everything has to be a warrior call to arms.
I really don't understand how the version with the lower framerate (no matter how small) "runs better" but feel free to explain? Both consoles are essentially locked 60fps. When they do drop, which is extremely rare on both consoles, the Series X tears rather than drop the framerate. Personally I'll take the single frame tear over the single frame of judder, but neither make any noticeable difference.

Tajaz2426

I really don't understand how the version with the lower framerate (no matter how small) "runs better" but feel free to explain? Both consoles are essentially locked 60fps. When they do drop, which is extremely rare on both consoles, the Series X tears rather than drop the framerate. Personally I'll take the single frame tear over the single frame of judder, but neither make any noticeable difference.
I’m sure DF will go over all the in-depth stuff. The XBox may run at a lower resolution or something. We just have to wait and see. Could be a bunch of things. I’m just glad consoles are hitting 60 FPS.

ToadMan

Yep the PS5 looks like it'll be the 'multiplat king' for want of a better phrase this gen, especially with the DualSense controller and audio being so good.

What's awkward for Xbox is PS5 is already defacto exclusive king as well (or at least until 2023 when all these XGS titles hit but I wont hold my breath). They look like they've sewn both ends up.

And $100 cheaper into the bargain.

Top Bottom