• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review, Performance Tested

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I have no issue with the aesthetic of the game in general, but they need to clean up that performance quick. The lack of SSR in performance mode and still hiring mid 40's is a bad look.

These consoles were a mistake. We need a PS6 already.
I don't believe this has much to do with the machines themselves. The are many games with much larger scope and feature sets that run much better.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Just so every knows Virtous game studios did this port they are also the ones who completely fucked up the Arkham games remaster port also

Fucking disgrace, crunch these lazy cunts untill its sorted, or scrap the shit heap and refund any poor souls that have wasted there money on it.

That's part of the problem with these SCAM releases. If you're on console, particularly SONY, once you play you can't get a refund!

Here's another example that I feel like I got scammed on: Inquisitor Martyr "next gen upgrade" cost $25 (i paid $20) and came out in October of '22. It runs terribly on Ps5 and has so much screen tearing the game "wobbles". The scam artist developer's still havnt fixed it and they never will! I tried asking for a refund from Sony and was of course denied.

The way I see it Sony is in on the scam because it's on THEM to make sure the games releasing on their platform work!

There's no excuse that Spacers Choice has all these problems. I think this game is almost as bad as Inquisitor because not only are they charging $10 for people that owned the base game plus 2 dlcs but they're charging $48 (on sale which is about to end so it'll be $60) for the full game.

Now, let's say you own just the base game but no DLC but wanted Spacers Choice, which by the way was marketed fairly heavily as being a major graphical overhaul, you will have to buy the Season Pass at $20 to then be able to pay $10 more for Spacers Choice. So they are trying to entice people who otherwise wouldn't have bought the dlc to do so!

It's so sleazy to do this and have such disappointing and terrible performance! This kind of bullshit happens constantly now and is unacceptable and with Sonys anti consumer return policy its all just despicable. Sony and MS deserve A LOT of the blame for letting this happen. There are NO fucking standards anymore.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
That's part of the problem with these SCAM releases. If you're on console, particularly SONY, once you play you can't get a refund!

Here's another example that I feel like I got scammed on: Inquisitor Martyr "next gen upgrade" cost $25 (i paid $20) and came out in October of '22. It runs terribly on Ps5 and has so much screen tearing the game "wobbles". The scam artist developer's still havnt fixed it and they never will! I tried asking for a refund from Sony and was of course denied.

The way I see it Sony is in on the scam because it's on THEM to make sure the games releasing on their platform work!

There's no excuse that Spacers Choice has all these problems. I think this game is almost as bad as Inquisitor because not only are they charging $10 for people that owned the base game plus 2 dlcs but they're charging $48 (on sale which is about to end so it'll be $60) for the full game.

Now, let's say you own just the base game but no DLC but wanted Spacers Choice, which by the way was marketed fairly heavily as being a major graphical overhaul, you will have to buy the Season Pass at $20 to then be able to pay $10 more for Spacers Choice. So they are trying to entice people who otherwise wouldn't have bought the dlc to do so!

It's so sleazy to do this and have such disappointing and terrible performance! This kind of bullshit happens constantly now and is unacceptable and with Sonys anti consumer return policy its all just despicable. Sony and MS deserve A LOT of the blame for letting this happen. There are NO fucking standards anymore.

Sorry youve been mugged off like that, I think we all have with a game here and there, its a disgrace mate. I dont know how they get away with it, first of all I blame the developers and publishers, but also the likes of Sony and Microsoft for allowing this shit out on there platforms. Theres always been a wonky game here and there but now days it seems 90% of games that come out are half broken junk, if your lucky it might be the game we was ment to get 2 yrs down the line. I have given up on new releases now and just wait till sales if there fixed and get the shit piles for less that the robbing pricks wanted on release.

They couldn't pay me $10 to use this upgrade.
This is a money grab without any fucks given. The publisher doesn't care if they destroy the reputation of The Outer Worlds because Obsidian is now a Xbox company.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

7x7RPJx.jpg

Split memory bandwidth strikes again.
The PS5 is just too powerful, they had to stabilize the frame rate for better experience.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Skating on that vrr range...ps5 better hope it doesn't drop another frame. You can actually see the considerably less foliage in that image too.

Series s has more foliage there.....

It barely looks like foliage tho, more like explosive diarrhea (at least on this picture).

intbal

Summary:
Grass is reduced just like on PS5's 1.1 patch.
Large frame hitches (80ms) still persist on Xbox consoles.
Inconsistent frame pacing remains.
Only real change (besides the grass) is a boost of 5fps. I assume he means on average.

Last edited:

Deerock71

TL;DR

- Bad port.
- Performance and Cinematic modes are broadly identical minus removal of SSR and lower AO quality. New patch drops grass density on Performance mode as well.

- PS5|SX run dynamic 4K in cinematic mode with drops to 1440p. Series S runs at 972p with no major DRS spotted.
- Series S drops grass and AO settings in comparison to X and PS5.
- In Performance mode Series S again runs at lower settings, all consoles remove SSR.
- PS5 and SX both still run at dynamic 4K but drops are more frequent. Series S sticks to the same resolution mostly.
- Currently, SX has a foliage advantage in Performance mode, as the newest patch (out only on PS5 so far) reduces grass density

- Cinematic mode: Bad frame pacing, PS5 version drops more frames compared to Xbox, as low s 15 FPS at times during combat. In Traversal PS5 can drop a few frames, both Xbox's generally stay at 30.
- Performance mode: Lower average FPS on PS5. Higher average on Xbox machines but prone to more hitching to 80ms spikes.
- Big outdoor battles can drop to low 40s on all. Both can also drop below 30 at times in the worst cases.
Even that's tl;dr.

Huh…yeah it’s a bad port, but it’s still doing better on the XSX. Wonder if it was intentional to sandbag the PS5 with a sub-par port (compared to the XSX version) or it’s just a happy coincidence because of the garbage port status and development overall…

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Summary:
Grass is reduced just like on PS5's 1.1 patch.
Large frame hitches (80ms) still persist on Xbox consoles.
Inconsistent frame pacing remains.
Only real change (besides the grass) is a boost of 5fps. I assume he means on average.

Yep, equal opportunity trash all around.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Why do game companies hire virtous studios to do their remasters they have failed every project they have worked on

winjer

Gold Member
The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition Patch v1.2 is available now for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S. Thank you for your patience while our team worked diligently to get this out, and continue reading below to see what resolutions this update brings you.

Performance:
• Replaced dynamic resolution with FSR and added option selector on PC
• Framerate improvements on all platforms
• Various improvements to reduce hitching issues across all platforms
• Specific DirectX 12 allocation improvements to fix hitches on PC
• Fixed settings auto-detection on PC
• Fixed multiple flickering issues
• Optimized graphics settings on PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series S/X
• Optimized VFX during combat to address frame rate dips

Stability:
• Fixed occasional crash when detecting graphics settings on PC

General:
• Various bug fixes
• Fixed bug where EULA needs to be accepted after every launch
• Material and texture updates to remove visible seams and improve overall visuals
• Lighting improvements
• Fixed excessive shadow popping bug in Roseway
• Fixed disappearing reticle when changing settings during gameplay
• Fixed floating grass in Monarch
• Improved LODs to reduce popping

Though this patch introduces many fixes, our team is still hard at work gathering feedback and implementing further improvements. If you encounter a bug not listed above, please contact our support team directly to report issues.

Skifi28

^ So they kinda gave up and said fuck it, let's just add FSR. If the image quality is ok and performance solid I wouldn't complain, but they're probably the same people responsible for the 1.0 version of the game so not much faith.

winjer

Gold Member
Spacer's Choice Edition v1.3 is available now!

Performance:
Hitching improvements
PSO cache improvements to fix hitching issues
Rebalanced SSGI settings
Updated environment asset to reduce stutter in Roseway
Fixed ghosting issues caused by FSR

Stability:
Fixed crash when unequipping items in the options wheel
Fixed various rare crashes

General:
LOD fixes across different environments
Reduced flickering in Emerald Vale
Fixed rare T-posing bug in Eridanos
Fixed wrong inventory tooltip when playing with gamepad
Fixed various clipping issues
Fixed various popping issues
Optimized rock shaders on Monarch
Fixed offset map in Pit on Tartarus
Fixed minor issues caused by FSR
Fixed bug where SMC is on fire when first arriving in Gorgon
Various bug fixes

Trogdor1123

Spacer's Choice Edition v1.3 is available now!

Performance:
Hitching improvements
PSO cache improvements to fix hitching issues
Rebalanced SSGI settings
Updated environment asset to reduce stutter in Roseway
Fixed ghosting issues caused by FSR

Stability:
Fixed crash when unequipping items in the options wheel
Fixed various rare crashes

General:
LOD fixes across different environments
Reduced flickering in Emerald Vale
Fixed rare T-posing bug in Eridanos
Fixed wrong inventory tooltip when playing with gamepad
Fixed various clipping issues
Fixed various popping issues
Optimized rock shaders on Monarch
Fixed offset map in Pit on Tartarus
Fixed minor issues caused by FSR
Fixed bug where SMC is on fire when first arriving in Gorgon
Various bug fixes
Did it improve it much?

Laptop1991

I haven't tried the new patch yet, my game didn't perform too badly, it was mainly stutters when a new cell or area was loaded and i could select ultra instead of high in the graphic options, i doubt the patch has done much tbh.

winjer

Gold Member
Did it improve it much?

Only managed to test it today. And it runs a lot better.
The game now does a shader pre-compilation while on the menu screen. It takes about a minute to complete.
I tried running around on Edgewater, one of the levels that had the most stutters from asset streaming and shader compilation.
And it was almost completely smooth. The frame time graph was close to a flat line. There were some minor spikes, very small, but I only noticed because I was watching the frame time graph. In gameplay it's imperceptible.
I do run a 5800X3D and a 6800XT with 16Gb of vram. Even with FSR2 Quality, it was pushing around 10GB.

If anyone was waiting for a patch that fixed performance, this is it.

Top Bottom