• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] AC: Valhalla - XsX vs PS5 - The first REAL head to head battle.

Like I said, the gap was never going to be huge. Going to read the excuses now, let me guess, Ubisoft didn’t optimize their code for Series X.
and multiplats are not suitable to compare systems. Not saying I disagree. But I just love how the narratives change when the comparison is not in the favor of world’s most powerful console. Kudos to MS marketing team I guess.

any how, just messing around a bit after the long play session. there is no war here. everyone who has the nextgen console should spend more time gaming now. anyone who hasn’t hopefully can pick one soon. No matter what box I choose, nextgen is awesome!

kretos

Banned
adaptive triggers and no tearing

6bUh1JyCtxLetEyM4dvxO6lBa2yqKXZ-atqpZET_OfbOrOquU8luCQhcoUvb5odeVWF3H5cwO1t9UMOQ1hv75FlGlSX5fm6JqONJ2bTahF8h2VF56Utvt8v2evc1xHd5ITPDiq6KL5rTEkJBtDoAy7z8I6MN4wNUsqQ

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Dual sense support and no tearing

6bUh1JyCtxLetEyM4dvxO6lBa2yqKXZ-atqpZET_OfbOrOquU8luCQhcoUvb5odeVWF3H5cwO1t9UMOQ1hv75FlGlSX5fm6JqONJ2bTahF8h2VF56Utvt8v2evc1xHd5ITPDiq6KL5rTEkJBtDoAy7z8I6MN4wNUsqQ
You might want to watch the video again lol. He says in the audio that it has no tearing but on the screen when he's saying that he has a note saying that there is tearing. Also you can either get tearing in like 0.01% of frames like on Xbox, or you can get framerate drops like you get on PS5. Pick your poison.

Controller support is also a plus is it? Can you not use a controller on the Xbox? Is it mouse and keyboard only?

Last edited:
and multiplats are not suitable to compare systems. Not saying I disagree. But I just love how the narratives change when the comparison is not in the favor of world’s most powerful console. Kudos to MS marketing team I guess.

any how, just messing around a bit after the long play session. there is no war here. everyone who has the nextgen console should spend more time gaming now. anyone who hasn’t hopefully can pick one soon. No matter what box I choose, nextgen is awesome!

Indeed, I beat Astro’s Playroom. Very fun little game.

Last edited:
There's a dual sense controller sitting right next to me as I type this. It's much improved, but in my opinion it's still not as good as an Xbox controller, the triggers are a deal breaker for me, the 'hook' isn't pronounced enough.

As for the rest of your post? Won't bother.
And you are not convinced of the immersion that haptic feedback and the adaptive trigger get you? I guess we just need to agree to disagree.

I don’t care you bother or not. Simply because of dual sense, ps5 is the place for multiplats.

kretos

Banned
You might want to watch the video again lol. He says in the audio that it has no tearing but on the screen when he's saying that he has a note saying that there is tearing. Also you can either get tearing in like 0.01% of frames like on Xbox, or you can get framerate drops like you get on PS5. Pick your poison.

Controller support is also a plus is it? Can you not use a controller on the Xbox? Is it mouse and keyboard only?

i meant the adaptive triggers :messenger_beaming:

Azurro

Banned
I have to admit, it's pretty satisfying that after months of FUD spread by the usual people, of stupid arguments consisting of:

- 9 TFs
- No hardware ray tracing
- No VRS
- RDNA 1.5

And so on and so forth, and turns out that the actual performance is almost identical. Where is the huge performance delta Xbox gang? :)

Turns out that as most reasonable people would have told you, the visual differences were going to be small, almost imperceivable.

Redlight

Best console platform to play multiplats will be the platform that gets the most multiplats (by and large that will be the PS5), loads them faster and provides a more immediate experience (by and large that will be the case), and has the unique controller support. With 2 W's already on the performance comparisons of these early multiplats there is nothing there for the competition to excel at.

Issa wrap...
It was a wrap for you three generations ago - your 'analysis' isn't massively surprising.

Killer8

I have to admit, it's pretty satisfying that after months of FUD spread by the usual people, of stupid arguments consisting of:

- 9 TFs
- No VRS
- RDNA 1.5

And so on and so forth, and turns out that the actual performance is almost identical. Where is the huge performance delta Xbox gang? :)

Turns out that as most reasonable people would have told you, the visual differences were going to be small, almost imperceivable.

VRS has never been worth championing. It's literally celebrating some areas of the image having degraded quality so the game runs slightly better. The DF video about the feature in Gears Tactics was not flattering.

quest

Not Banned from OT

- 9 TFs
- No VRS
- RDNA 1.5

Lol yes because there is not the daily wishful bad news series x news threads. The series x won't have ray tracing at launch. There is plenty of crap on both sides lol. So don't bother to say either side is innocent.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Lol yes because there is not the daily wishful bad news series x news threads. The series x won't have ray tracing at launch. There is plenty of crap on both sides lol. So don't bother to say either side is innocent.
All fanboys are ridiculous. However, I look at it like sports teams. People like to invest themselves in things and as long as it doesn’t turn into fighting or death threats, I don’t judge anyone. It is harmless fun and makes gaming interesting. I don’t do warring, but I do enjoy reading this forum because of it.

Why not v sync on SX version? These multiplatform devs not doing good job showcasing power of new boxes. Only first party games can do that.

assurdum

Banned
Series X will still likely be the best place for multi-plats. It's a wash now on a couple of cross gen games in the launch window, which is not a surprise. The PS5 SSD is faster, no doubt, but the gap isn't anywhere near what I was expecting (this too may become more prominent with time).

I'm disputing the claim that the controller is better. It's vastly improved yes, but I still prefer the Xbox controller.

'Better UI features'? um, just no, not even close.
Riiight. A notable more powerful machine needs more time to show is huge gap against the weaker, it is notoriously known (the Tom Warren nonsense theory).
We have reached the point which multiplat benchmark doesn't count anymore, it's more important the personal blind faith in a piece of plastic.

Last edited:
Two words: Miles. Morales.
Another 2 words: PS4 game.

I’m just sitting here rolling my eyes at all the idiots calling it after what is basically the very first comparison of the gen with a game that is built to be essentially a cross-gen title, like cmon, on both sides the stupidity is astounding.

For a start, there have been multiple claims that the PS5 is easier to develop for as they have the more ready to go API while the XDK isn’t quite up to scratch yet, which can help explain why we’re seeing near parity so early on.

Also, where is this blazing fast SSD with oodle? Oh right, we’ll only see it on 1st party where you can’t even compare? Riiiiiiight.

Well I suppose we can use the same excuse for Xbox first party right? We’ll see the raw grunt of the GPU show there based on this logic I’m sure.

At the end of the day, even if parity remains the only difference we will see is what first party offerings people like best, and for the majority that strictly lands on PS for good reason as they seem to have a handle on what makes a good game.

That said, with Xbox buying all those studios, they’re clearly making an effort to try and match that, but it’s yet to be seen and proven although it will probably take until next gen for that to become a reality which is not really acceptable, but I could be wrong, we’re yet to see.

Anyone claiming this as a victory on any side should be laughed at and ridiculed. There are many years to come and with that, many more comparisons and gaps to be seen.

What I will be doing is bookmarking and screenshotting some of the extreme goons who make these majestic advantage claims for when the time comes to rub salt in the wounds.

Rea

No you still need vsync on to stop tearing. Why do you think 'adaptive vsync' is a thing?. I dont know where this idea has suddenly come from that native framerates wont show tearing with vsync off. It actually looks worse at taget framerate (60fps for example) becaue you get 1 clear tear accross the screen thats continuas.
What i understand about adaptive v sync is to automatically turn v sync on and off, v sync on when frames go above monitor refresh rate, v sync off when frame rate go lower than refresh rate. Right?

Stuart360

What i understand about adaptive v sync is to automatically turn v sync on and off, v sync on when frames go above monitor refresh rate, v sync off when frame rate go lower than refresh rate. Right?
Look i game on a 60hz screen. If i boot a game, and go into the settings and turn off vsync, there will be tearing obviously. If i then used Rivatuner to lock the framerate top 60fps (the same as my tv refresh rate), the game would still have teraing, 1 big tear accross the screen, even though i had locked the framerate to 60fps, which is the HZ of my tv. Now if go back into settings and turn vsync back on, that screen tear would vanish.
Vsync syncs the game to the refrsh rate of your tv. Using something like Rivatuner to cap the framerate isnt the same thing. Thats why Vsync has 'sync' in its name.

Adaptive vsync keeps vsync on when you are at the native refresh of your screen (60hz, 144hz, etc), but if the framerate drops below that native number, vsync turns off because it would cause judder.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

The only plausible reason because they opted soft vsync, it's to preserve FPS perfomance on serie X. Vsync is not free.

Last edited:
i have made a little experiment...
kLjGrB4.jpg

Yeah the "reduced textures on Series X" thing, that NXGamer never said but plenty in here are trying to claim, is BS.

Results isn't what some people expected so now its just "a cross gen badly optimized" got it

Both sides are making this argument, based on results.

Slower loading than expected on PS5s SSD I/O? Not optimised for it.

Doesn't make full use of the additional GPU, CPU and RAM on Xbox Series X? Not optimised for it.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss either side.

That's one way to get some views off PS5 fans.

To be fair, NXGamer only has Sony viewers, he's never really made any content about any other platform. This is what he does.

I don't think that makes him a shill or whatever, but he plays to the crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zheph

Doesn't make full use of the additional GPU, CPU and RAM on Xbox Series X? Not optimised for it.

So if its not optimized it would be on both plateforms giving us some... parity? we agree again

assurdum

Banned
Yeah the "reduced textures on Series X" thing, that NXGamer never said but plenty in here are trying to claim, is BS.

To be fair, NXGamer only has Sony viewers, he's never really made any content about any other platform. This is what he does.

I don't think that makes him a shill or whatever, but he plays to the crowd.
I think there is a good difference between extrapolate how to push faster the data access (which is kinda of new) and push a more powerful hardware which shouldn't needs of extra work (if it's really that more powerful of the weaker).

Last edited:
So if its not optimized it would be on both plateforms giving us some... parity? we agree again

Absolutely. The end result here is parity, that's been made quite clear.

I think there is a good difference between extrapolate how to push faster data access (which is kinda of new) and push a more powerful hardware which shouldn't need if extra work (if it's really that more powerful).

Not at all, there are brand new architectural aspects at play here, that take time for developers to get used to - aka the GDK.

Both systems have unique factors here that need accounted for, but Ubisoft needs to shit the game out on PS4, Xbox One S and other platforms too.

assurdum

Banned
Absolutely. The end result here is parity, that's been made quite clear.

Not at all, there are brand new architectural aspects at play here, that take time for developers to get used to - aka the GDK.

Both systems have unique factors here that need accounted for, but Ubisoft needs to shit the game out on PS4, Xbox One S and other platforms too.
The fun fact again people like you continue to substain things can only go better on series X performance but on ps5 optimization won't work in the same way because who knows. The reality is indeed very simple: the gap is not as wide as a lot of people expected or it show up already.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
-Performance is about the same on both even if the PS5 version is slightly better.

-Dynamic 4K resolution (the lowest is 1440p on XSX and 1620p on PS5), both consoles are rarely in 2160p (it's more in 1620~1800p).

-The PS5 version with v-sync enabled, the XSX has an adaptive v-sync which causes tearing during heavy scenes.

-Gaming on PS5 loads 12% faster which is not surprising given the speed of its SSD.

-The S series runs at 1440p dynamic/30fps.

-The PS5/XSX versions aim for an almost constant 60fps with occasional drops of 1~2fps.

-Basically they are identical in terms of performance.

Last edited:
The fun fact again people like you continue to substain things can only go better on series X performance but on ps5 suddenly optimization won't work in the same way. The reality is indeed very simple: the gap is not as wide as a lot of people expected or it show up already.

I never said that at all, so you can stop with the "people like you" generalisations.

It's obvious the PS5s SSD I/O, for example, is capable of more and Miles Morales proves it - that's evidence of a lack of optimisation on Ubisoft's part and things there too will get better.

Similarly, I expect things to improve for Xbox as devs get used to the new GDK, think that's being fair, no?

NEbeast

Team Blue:

Almost the same framerate: "LOL this shows how 2TF extra is meaningless and Sony are the best!! Punching above it's weight!"

Almost the same load times: "Oh that's because this game doesn't take advantage of the extra fast SSD!"

lol so which is it? If the PS5 SSD isn't being used to its full potential then neither is the Xbox GPU/RAM. If the Xbox GPU/RAM is, then so is the SSD, and all that talk about 2x faster or more loading times on the PS5 is wrong.

I think it's time to stick you on ignore. Your damage control in these comparison threads is getting old, the consoles have parity, get over it. Both are great machines.

assurdum

Banned
I never said that at all, so you can stop with the "people like you" generalisations.

It's obvious the PS5s SSD I/O, for example, is capable of more and Miles Morales proves it - that's evidence of a lack of optimisation on Ubisoft's part and things there too will get better.

Similarly, I expect things to improve for Xbox as devs get used to the new GDK, think that's being fair, no?
I don't follow you. Of course things will improve but on both sides. But you seem just more invested to substain series X will reach a wider gap in multiplat in the future, than really argue something of "deeper" about the future perspective of the nex gen.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
What is this shit I'm reading? 50 seconds? 1m 26 seconds?

What the Fuck, Ubisoft? Is this a backwards comparible game?
Oh sure. Bad API too. And so on. Seems things can only improve to the series X with the time, but on ps5 nope, because... reasons.
Neither the XSX nor the PS5 version seem to be using the new APIs to massively speed up texture loads, so what you're seeing is the expected times when using the same old APIs for loading data off disk, decoding it in the CPU, transfering it to the GPU, etc.

NXGamer

If this guy cannot even get video uploads right, I don't know if i can trust him with his comparisons. sounds like a cowboy.
Do not be silly man, when I upload a video to YT it can either:-

1) Work without issue fast and process
2) Take over 24hrs to get fully process
3) Get stuck in a permanent "processing" blackhole

Here 3 happened, I had to upload and this is the very first Next Gen capture for consoles and the outputs are very different.

As such this was NOT a graphical comparison but a performance one, I even stated Fast look. I have one I started last night that will cover the graphics and I am getting the best settings for each console so they are all in their Sunday best.

Oh wow. Texture detail is better on the PS5. Cerny is a genius indeed. A cheaper and small APU die on the PS5 is performing better than the more expensive and larger APU on the xsex.

Playstation just keeps on winning.

This is my point, the HDR>SDR is very different on SX and I have to adjust for it, I had time to sort my PS5 capture out, I have only had the SX for a day. This was not a graphics comparison but a performance one only.

Time of Day also makes these games harder to line up and the random nature of everything including cutscene locations etc.

Last edited:
I don't follow you. Of course things will improve but on both sides. But you seem just more invested to substain series X will reach a wider gap in multiplat in the future, than really argue something of "deeper" about the future perspective of the nex gen.

What I "seem" to you is irrelevant to the discussion and just an attempt to obfuscate. Xbox changed GDKs this gen while PlayStation stayed the same, DF already stated this made development more difficult for Xbox at the start as devs essentially need to re-learn everything when working on it.

There's plenty of room for the Series X to grow. Similarly, there's plenty of opportunity for devs to optimise for PS5 also, but there's less overhead on things like GPU, CPU and RAM, so optimisation can't go as far.

Oh wow. Texture detail is better on the PS5. Cerny is a genius indeed. A cheaper and small APU die on the PS5 is performing better than the more expensive and larger APU on the xsex.

Playstation just keeps on winning.

i have made a little experiment...
kLjGrB4.jpg

No it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not be silly man, when I upload a video to YT it can either:-

1) Work without issue fast and process
2) Take over 24hrs to get fully process
3) Get stuck in a permanent "processing" blackhole

Here 3 happened, I had to upload and this is the very first Next Gen capture for consoles and the outputs are very different.

As such this was NOT a graphical comparison but a performance one, I even stated Fast look. I have one I started last night that will cover the graphics and I am getting the best settings for each console so they are all in their Sunday best.

This is my point, the HDR>SDR is very different on SX and I have to adjust for it, I had time to sort my PS5 capture out, I have only had the SX for a day. This was not a graphics comparison but a performance one only.

Time of Day also makes these games harder to line up and the random nature of everything including cutscene locations etc.
Thanks for the video man.Whats ur take on xsx being a bit more blurry and a bit less detailed textures ?

Like this one

130D9AL.jpg

Last edited:
lol nice try with the cherry picking. Look at the frame graph. We can all cherry pick screens to show something, and even then the PS5 screen is looking at the floor, and the XSX screen is in an open area mid battle.
The normal mode, RT Quality mode, and RT Performance mode all clearly run better on XSX.
No, they don’t all clearly run better on the xsx. Only 1 mode has a “clear” advantage and that averages to 8% better framerate.

Top Bottom