• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

eFKac

Dont you think if after this Sony looses December to XBONE, it will mean they were not prepared well. I dont know how much they supplied but i think no one wants to loose their sales especially during Holiday period because these sales are lost for ever as many people are buying it as gift and they need to have something under the tree. !!!

Just my opinion.

Someone give this guy a loose tag!

RexNovis

Banned
Hasney, the i-

*already in the thread*

Well, then.

? I'm not following you here.

Dont you think if after this Sony looses December to XBONE, it will mean they were not prepared well. I dont know how much they supplied but i think no one wants to loose their sales especially during Holiday period because these sales are lost for ever as many people are buying it as gift and they need to have something under the tree. !!!

Just my opinion.

If they are selling all the stock they were able to put out that's not really "loose"ing sales that's them selling through everything they could. It's what they were able to produce and ship. If they were able to burn through the backstock that some of the insiders were talking about that would be impressive and not at all an indication they were going to "loose" December.

The idea that they under shipped is pretty ridiculous to begin with seeing as how, from all the data we have this far this gen, their shipments and sell through figures have been impeccably managed up until this point. Not to mention there would be absolutely nothing to gain from under shipping. What possible reason would they have to do that?

DC1

Just my opinion.

Hi Noobie.

Trust the wisdom of commerce and competitive capitalism that Sony is prepared.
Sony and most retail outlets have anticipated the Star Wars (merchandise and affiliated product) spike since the exclusive marketing deal was originally pondered in the shower of the mail clerk that also delivers the paper to Eric Lempel.

Outside of a supply manufacturing constraint due to hardware components, selling out of the Star Wars PS4 bundle is a good problem to have.

QaaQer

You nail it.

I agree there is still a market for the younger crowd on consoles. And that's why I don't want to see Nintendo ever go away.

Sony and MS don't seem interested into really diving into it.

It is a hard nut to crack.

1) parents are very price sensitive when buying toys for children. How do you sell them on a premium console and $60 games?

2) kids don't care about quality. Mobile has free games. Parents can buy a tablet for $50. How does a dedicated hardware manufacturer compete with that?

3) Nintendo already dominates the market that is left. How do you take away some of their market share?

I think the unfortunate truth is that kids videogames are migrating to mobile and are going to be f2p or made by advertising agencies--with the exception of one or two things, like minecraft, that can sell themselves as educational childhood development tools.

Before November NPD we had the narrative floating around that Microsoft did not want to get marketing rights for COD and Battlefront because they had their own big FPS in Halo.
Do you still thing this was the reason both went to Playstation?
If so...
tk2vlgb27IPni.gif

watdaeff4

Before November NPD we had the narrative floating around that Microsoft did not want to get marketing rights for COD and Battlefront because they had their own big FPS in Halo.
Do you still thing this was the reason both went to Playstation?
If so...
tk2vlgb27IPni.gif

To be fair we also had the narrative that these companies are flocking to Sony and hiking up their skirts and Sony wasn't buying them

The truth is likely somewhere in between

To be fair we also had the narrative that these companies are flocking to Sony and hiking up their skirts and Sony wasn't buying them

The truth is likely somewhere in between
I don't say it's true.
Just want to hear opinions. You are always wiser afterwards. There were good arguments to stick with Sony (market leader, international appeal, no exclusives, especially no FPS). Only wanted to know if it was an active decision by MS or by the publishers.

watdaeff4

I don't say it's true.
Just want to hear opinions. You are always wiser afterwards. There were good arguments to stick with Sony (market leader, international appeal, no exclusives, especially no FPS). Only wanted to know if it was an active decision by MS or by the publishers.
My guess is a little of both.

Sony was more aggressive this year to get FPS

Due to marketshare/etc the price tag for Sony was probably lower than for MS

And I'm going to make an assumption that despite the flack he gets on here there probably is a kernel of truth regarding Spencer's comments on first party development . Dangerous I know

the price tag required for battlefront or call of duty was a business decision when you factor and they already had Halo. None of us can say if it was a good one or bad one yet because we don't know the dollar amount involved or how it will all play out.

Edit: by the way for the record since you're mentioning November NPD, I think the price parity have as much or more likely more of a factor then the marketing deals

Javin98

Banned
Starwars: Battlefront bundle out of stock in Amazon

Can i still not say that Sony is complacent? One of the worst time for the bundle to be out of stock, just couple of days before the movie release.

btw Uncharted bundle was already out of stock
Yep, Sony is being complacent because they offered the Battlefront bundles at $299 and now those bundles sold better than expected even though they had lots of stock according to retail insiders here. Oh, how arrogant of Sony to steal Microsoft's time to shine.

Pezus

Just my opinion.

"if" this and "if" that. Let's just wait for NPD Dec. I'm sure PS4 will win

The Uncharted Bundle now says in stock on the 25th Dec. While the StarWars bundle says in stock on the 21st Dec.

Give us that stock Sony. The film is out this week!

LTD

UD ~ 275
B2 ~ 182

I'll update LTD for major 2015 games next month.

Man Util Dawn has done quite well for itself, better than it looked at launch!

Combined with EU numbers I'm hoping Super Massive and Sony are happy with sales. Seems word of mouth/YouTube was a key driver with time.

How come UD ~275K after 3 months is good/impressive and ROTR ~200k after 1 month is a bomba?

Is uhhh, Noobie a walking meme I missed at some point??

stryke

The Uncharted Bundle now says in stock on the 25th Dec. While the StarWars bundle says in stock on the 21st Dec.

Give us that stock Sony. The film is out this week!

It could just be Amazon playing up. A couple of hours ago it was in stock when moments before out of stock.

Anyways, Amazon isn't the only place that has the console at $299. But I don't live in the US so what's the stock level like in other retailers? (pseudo-Abdiel batsignal)

Elandyll

Banned
It would not necessarily be a bad idea for Sony to have priviledged the retail stores as opposed to online for supply, when this close to Xmas and the movie release tbh.

Would be interesting to have our retail insiders chime in about stock levels, but they are certainly during this period.

It would not necessarily be a bad idea for Sony to have priviledged the retail stores as opposed to online for supply, when this close to Xmas and the movie release tbh.

Would be interesting to have our retail insiders chime in about stock levels, but they are certainly during this period.
If the kid wants his Star Wars Playstation and it's not on Amazon, daddy will drive through the whole district to get one.
It's Christmas after all.

Just my opinion.
#letloosethesales

Sony's problem isn't with family friendly titles, it's SCEA's ineptitude of selling their games in North America, no matter the target audience, some of their games manage to sell up to three times more in Europe, the only IP they have that can debut at over 1 million on NPD right now is God of War. They relatively killed Gran Turismo in North America, & Naughty Dog's games still sell <1 million in their debut month despite managing to sell 8-10 million units WW. LBP also manages to sell ~4 million despite having weak numbers in NA.

SCEA's marketing team needs a complete overhaul if they want their games to do well in NA. That includes capturing the family market, they will almost certainly fumble with R&C's marketing next year.

SCEE never had those problems even in the early PS3 days.

But aren't sim racers as a whole struggling in NA? I mean yeah, GT6 should've had a PS4 version at launch or by now, but how much better would it have done even if it did? Just assuming the entire sim racing genre has greatly depleted in selling power in NA, like I've seen some other posters say from time to time.

Also don't count out UC4 debuting at 1 million or slightly above that. The bundle's really helped give the series more exposure, as has TLOU.

Hopefully if the extremely strong PS4 advertising is a sign, SCEA will be pushing their 1st party games w/ better ad campaigns. We'll find out quite soon.

#StraightOuttaCremaster

Mory Dunz

Ugh stop quoting him. It decreases the thread quality greatly.

I doubt insiders like Harker and cosmic would be willing to engage in discussion or give hints and info in a thread that delved into a tag-search and response.

Just saying.

Elandyll

Banned
If the kid wants his Star Wars Playstation and it's not on Amazon, daddy will drive through the whole district to get one.
It's Christmas after all.
My point being that the closer we get, the more likely visits to the store as the shipping delay would become a concern :)

Not everybody has Prime after all...

This being said, I'm sure that selling through all they can ship is downright horrible for Sony. I hope Andrew House can sleep at night. ;)

Tomb Raider is easily in my top 3 games for this year it's a shame it was sent out to die. The games industry really needs to stray away from releasing everything in November,December. It's becoming a joke.

How come UD ~275K after 3 months is good/impressive and ROTR ~200k after 1 month is a bomba?
Maybe because one was hyped to hell and back, the other was a pleasant surprise. And one was marketed as one of the top games for he Xbox one for the holiday.
Also tomb raider probably had a much much larger budget than UD.

SCEA has a marketing team. :O thats a news..

On a serious note i think SCEA ran a good marketing campaign with Kevin Butler, some of those ads were really brilliant. I believe they can use something like that again..

Those Kevin Butler ads were amazing.

Are the PS4 bundles not due to go back to $350 around today? If so they will likely come back in stock with the updated price.

It runs "through Dec 19th".

Top Bottom