• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 was April's best-selling game in the UK

Bullet Club

Banned
Fallout 4 was April's best-selling game in the UK

Ahead of EA Sports FC 24 and Helldivers 2

Fallout games took three of the top 10 places on the UK sales chart in April.

That's according to GSD data published by GamesIndustry.biz, which tracks all physical sales and digital sales from most major publishers.

Fallout 4 was "comfortably" the No.1 game ahead of EA Sports FC 24, which was a non-mover at No.2, and Helldivers 2, which had topped the UK chart in February and March.

Bethesda's game took the No.1 spot on the back of some heavy discounts coinciding with the release of Amazon's popular Fallout TV show.

Fallout 4 also received its long-awaited next-gen update last month, allowing players who own the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game to upgrade to native PS5 and Xbox Series X/S versions for free.

Fallout: New Vegas charted at No.8 in the UK in April, while Fallout 76 was at No.9 and Fallout 3 was at No.11.

The highest new entry on the chart was PlayStation's Stellar Blade, which debuted at No.12 based on its first week of sales.

Last month's best-sellers included plenty of familiar faces, such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 at No.4, Grand Theft Auto 5 at No.5, Hogwarts Legacy at No.6 and Red Dead Redemption 2 at No.7, while WWE 2K24 rounded off the top 10.

Several games in the Fallout series saw their player counts increase sharply following the release of Amazon's TV show on April 10.

The show attracted 65 million viewers in its first 16 days, making it the second most-watched show on Amazon's streaming platform behind The Lord of the Rings: The Ring of Power, according to the company.

Source: VGC

Hudo

So many people new people will now get to experience how a systemic open-world can completely clash with the pacing and setup of the main story! As if that was Bethesda's first open-world game.

Ozriel

M$FT
And the next one, even if it's not Fallout 5 but a spin-off, is still atleast 5-6 years away. Amazing utilization of this IP.

Comments like these keep popping up and they don’t make any sense.
It’s a series that is slated for multiple seasons. Where does this narrative come from that a game in 5 years time will be ‘too late’ when we’d be on Season 3 by then?

smart move would be to make a remaster or remake collection as a stopgap in the next few years. But to claim the IP - already popular before the show - won’t be popular in 5 years is quite the stretch.

MS needs to get someone making a Fallout 5 ASAP, though.

Kurotri

It’s a series that is slated for multiple seasons. Where does this narrative come from that a game in 5 years time will be ‘too late’ when we’d be on Season 3 by then?

smart move would be to make a remaster or remake collection as a stopgap in the next few years. But to claim the IP - already popular before the show - won’t be popular in 5 years is quite the stretch.

Even without the context of the show you are looking at a game that came out in 2015. We are already 9 years after that and we are nowhere close to a game for another 5 years. This shouldn't be defended, who likes to wait decades for one sequel?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
todd-howard-howard.gif

Geez, what an awful month if fallout 4 is the best selling game.

todd-todd-howard.gif

Ozriel

M$FT
Even without the context of the show you are looking at a game that came out in 2015. We are already 9 years after that and we are nowhere close to a game for another 5 years. This shouldn't be defended, who likes to wait decades for one sequel?

You guys are on a roll with these weird posts.
It hasn’t been 9 years. Fallout 76 came out in 2018.

It’s the norm to wait for a while when the studio that makes the game is working on other stuff. Bethesda had Starfield , and Elder Scrolls 6 comes next. Same way people who want to play more Infamous have to wait for the inevitable Ghost of Tsushima sequel. Same way we understand why Guerilla isn’t making another Killzone. Or if we have to wait a decade between the last entry and a new Uncharted game.

Unless you can say the studio’s been idle, it’s a weird point to make.

Kurotri

You guys are on a roll with these weird posts.
It hasn’t been 9 years. Fallout 76 came out in 2018.

It’s the norm to wait for a while when the studio that makes the game is working on other stuff. Bethesda had Starfield , and Elder Scrolls 6 comes next. Same way people who want to play more Infamous have to wait for the inevitable Ghost of Tsushima sequel. Same way we understand why Guerilla isn’t making another Killzone. Or if we have to wait a decade between the last entry and a new Uncharted game.

Unless you can say the studio’s been idle, it’s a weird point to make.
I don't get this. Nothing's weird about it. 76 isn't a traditional single player game that players are waiting for. Fallout 5 is. Why are you bringing up Killzone or Uncharted or inFamous when studios have publicly said that they moved on from them, atleast for the time being? Fallout isn't the same. Even Todd Howard has lamented the fact that it takes them decades to make one game. You are comparing series that are seen as dormant to a game series that's "active" but needs decades to release another entry. I think there's a difference here. If you ask me the weird point to make is telling people that it's fine to wait decades for a game sequel because of X or Y. It's like saying the wait for Starfield 2 is ok because hey people also need to wait 20 years for another Batman game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Of course it makes sense.

What your suggesting is reactionary, not a smart move. A smart move would have been made a few years ago when the show was first touted. Their already big and popular IP would be even bigger.

At least get someone working on a remake or something as your very expensive TV show about one of your leading IP's is on the drawing board.

Edit: they could at least drop have dropped a secret Easter egg in the fallout 4 map with the TV shows vault hidden somewhere.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Of course it makes sense.

What your suggesting is reactionary, not a smart move. A smart move would have been made a few years ago when the show was first touted. Their already big and popular IP would be even bigger.

At least get someone working on a remake or something as your very expensive TV show about one of your leading IP's is on the drawing board.

Who was going to work on it?

They’ve got an expansion for Fallout 76 coming out this year. That seems to have been their plan for the near term.

I don't get this. Nothing's weird about it. 76 isn't a traditional single player game that players are waiting for. Fallout 5 is. Why are you bringing up Killzone or Uncharted or inFamous when studios have publicly said that they moved on from them, atleast for the time being? Fallout isn't the same. Even Todd Howard has lamented the fact that it takes them decades to make one game. You are comparing series that are seen as dormant to a game series that's "active" but needs decades to release another entry. I think there's a difference here. If you ask me the weird point to make is telling people that it's fine to wait decades for a game sequel because of X or Y. It's like saying the wait for Starfield 2 is ok because hey people also need to wait 20 years for another Batman game.

And the studio that makes Fallout has publicly said they’d lined up Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 first. Starfield was billed as their new mega franchise, and Elder Scrolls is bigger than Fallout.

These games are self-contained stories, it’s not like you’re waiting for a cliffhanger to be resolved.

Your comment about FO76 is bananas. The devs made a Fallout game. Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t mean the IP didn’t get a release in 2018.

Kurotri

Who was going to work on it?

They’ve got an expansion for Fallout 76 coming out this year. That seems to have been their plan for the near term.

And the studio that makes Fallout has publicly said they’d lined up Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 first. Starfield was billed as their new mega franchise, and Elder Scrolls is bigger than Fallout.

These games are self-contained stories, it’s not like you’re waiting for a cliffhanger to be resolved.

Your comment about FO76 is bananas. The devs made a Fallout game. Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t mean the IP didn’t get a release in 2018.
I never said anything about liking or disliking Fallout 76. I said that people yearn for a traditional single player Fallout sequel to 4. I also never said anything about story cliffhangers so not sure why you are bringing this up. And yes, they did publicly say what game would be worked on when. This however still does not adress the issue of having people wait decades for a game.

Listen, I don't know why you are so hellbent on defending lengthy game dev cycles but you do you. Let's agree to disagree here and move on. You clearly have a higher tolerance than most.

Rockman33

A Xbox owned 9 year old game being #1? This is blasphemy! There must be negative reasons why this is, not that people like the fallout series and the game…

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Fallout 4 will have a better legacy than people think it will in the end looking back. It caught heat at launch for not being graphically amazing and running like shit (just like every other Bethesda game) but it brought mod support to consoles and bred a dedicated mod community that has kept the game alive.

People only just now playing the game or going back to it are going to have a great time I think.

intbal

They had a "Fallout Franchise" sale (I assume in the UK also). I had some spare change left over on my Xbox account, so the game (F4) was under $3.
It makes sense that it would be high on the sales chart for a brief while.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Listen, I don't know why you are so hellbent on defending lengthy game dev cycles but you do you. Let's agree to disagree here and move on. You clearly have a higher tolerance than most.

Nothing in this conversation was about ‘lengthy game development cycles’.

I’m perplexed at what seems to be entitlement. If they were put on a new Fallout title in the vein of Fallout 4, I wonder if we’d have Elder Scrolls fans complaining about ‘waiting decades for the next entry’.

Fuck knows i don't manage the 100 studio's MS seems to own these days.

Same studios that are working on games of their own?

Kurotri

Nothing in this conversation was about ‘lengthy game development cycles’.

I’m perplexed at what seems to be entitlement. If they were put on a new Fallout title in the vein of Fallout 4, I wonder if we’d have Elder Scrolls fans complaining about ‘waiting decades for the next entry’.

Then what was it about? You are confusing the hell out of me. And yes they would. All I'm trying to tell you is that rich IPs should be utilized better by having the wait inbetween titles being shortened, while you somehow took issue with that because of X or Y. Entitlement is such a stupid word to throw around. Yes please excuse me for not wanting to wait another 20 years for a sequel I'd like to play, I'll go back to my cave sorry! What a weird conversation.

Mr Moose

Well, at least we established that Stellar Blade had a less-than-stellar launch.
Monthly chart. Stellar Blade was 1 week. Happened across Europe with Fallout.
Sales of Fallout games have shot up across Europe, with Fallout 4 reclaiming the No.1 spot.

The 2015 game’s sales rose over 7,500% week-on-week across Europe. This is GSD data that tracks digital game sales across all European markets, and physical sales across all major European countries (including UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain).

This is due to some heavy discounting on games in the Fallout franchise across all platforms. It’s all designed to tie-in with the Fallout TV show, which has proven to be a smash hit on Amazon Prime.

The majority of Fallout 4’s sales this week were on PC, representing 69% of all sales, with the rest on PlayStation and Xbox. However, it’s worth noting that the game is freely available to subscribers of Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation Plus Extra (and that data is not included here). It's also available to Amazon Luna users.

adamsapple

Fuck knows i don't manage the 100 studio's MS seems to own these days. Pretty sure they could have found someone or outsourced it. Isn't there a rumor of an Obilvion remake? Can't be that hard.

Not remakes, they're enhanced remasters and they're being worked on by Virtuous games, a studio whom itself is currently working on multiple other projects eg that MGS3 remake coming soon.

The best studio they could use to make an alternate Fallout game is Obsidian, who are making two big RPG's of their own right now. It's not like they can task Mojang to make a new Fallout game, it has to be the right kind of developer.

Ozriel

M$FT
Then what was it about? You are confusing the hell out of me. And yes they would. All I'm trying to tell you is that rich IPs should be utilized better by having the wait inbetween titles being shortened, while you somehow took issue with that because of X or Y. Entitlement is such a stupid word to throw around. Yes please excuse me for not wanting to wait another 20 years for a sequel I'd like to play, I'll go back to my cave sorry! What a weird conversation.

Lengthy dev cycle means games taking a long time (eg more than 5 - 6 years ) to be made.

Doesn’t describe what you’re talking about, which is the time interval between games in a franchise. said interval in this being filled with development of two games.

clarky

Gold Member
LOL like i said fuck knows what any of them where up to 3 years ago.

I dunno maybe they could have cancelled Redfall the moment they saw it and redirected Arkane? Yeah yeah hindsight and all that. I'm not sure why we are even discussing this. Surely you can agree it would have been a good idea to have something meaty fallout related to launch alongside the show? Its a missed opportunity.
Not remakes, they're enhanced remasters and they're being worked on by Virtuous games, a studio whom itself is currently working on multiple other projects eg that MGS3 remake coming soon.

The best studio they could use to make an alternate Fallout game is Obsidian, who are making two big RPG's of their own right now. It's not like they can task Mojang to make a new Fallout game, it has to be the right kind of developer.
A remake or remaster should be bread and butter for any number of support studio's around the world no?

And a proper enhanced remaster of fallout 4 would have done gangbusters right about now.

StereoVsn

Fallout Minecraft game actually could work. Settlement building would fit perfectly.

adamsapple

A remake or remaster should be bread and butter for any number of support studio's around the world no?

We say that but it's probably nowhere near that simple, just take this Fo4 update example in itself. It broke a lot of existing things and the toggles didn't even work on one of the two major consoles its on (until the upcoming update on Monday hopefully).

clarky

Gold Member
We say that but it's probably nowhere near that simple, just take this Fo4 update example in itself. It broke a lot of existing things and the toggles didn't even work on one of the two major consoles its on (until the upcoming update on Monday hopefully).
No videogame is simple to make, but this show got announced 4 years ago plenty of time to get out a proper remaster or remake.

Last edited:

adamsapple

No videogame is simple to make, but this show got announced 4 years ago plenty of time to get out a proper remaster or remake.

They were all hands on deck on Starfield and many people say that the things they're adding 8~ months post-release are things that should have been there day 1. It's not like Bethesda were sitting idle.

clarky

Gold Member
They were all hands on deck on Starfield and many people say that the things they're adding 8~ months post-release are things that should have been there day 1. It's not like Bethesda were sitting idle.
Ok? Did you miss the part where I suggested they could have outsourced it?

adamsapple

Ok? Did you miss the part where I suggested they could have outsourced it?

No, and we know the FO3 remaster is being worked on as early as 2021/22 based on the leaked Zenimax documents. They're probably well aware of that well.

clarky

Gold Member
No, and we know the FO3 remaster is being worked on as early as 2021/22 based on the leaked Zenimax documents. They're probably well aware of that well.
They remaster that was due to launch around the same time as Elder Scrolls 6, Ghostwire 2 , Dishonored 3 and Doom year zero dlc?

Yeah about that.....................................................

adamsapple

They remaster that was due to launch around the same time as Elder Scrolls 6, Ghostwire 2 , Dishonored 3 and Doom year zero dlc?

Yeah about that.....................................................

Exactly, clearly something isn't happening as they intended. And this remaster was already outsourced.

Sleepwalker

I revisited it over the weekend and it was super janky and kinda not great so I uninstalled it.

I need that spinoff asap.

Top Bottom