• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Yeah definitely, but to invest internal studios aiming for that market? maybe it's not worth the cost

I think they should both start new studios. As long as the ROI is there and they at least break even, they would be successful.

Knack, LBP, Tearaway, Ratchet and Clank, Sound Shapes, Hohokum and Journey are some kid friendly Sony exclusive games I can think of.

With the exception of Knack, those other titles are (and please take no offense) too edgelord/hipster for kids. We may think kids like it because colors, etc., but they're looking for cute dragons and Henry the Hugglemonster and Miles from Tomorrowland and stuff like that.

cheesekao

With the exception of Knack, those other titles are (and please take no offense) too edgelord/hipster for kids. We may think kids like it because colors, etc., but they're looking for cute dragons and Henry the Hugglemonster and Miles from Tomorrowland and stuff like that.
I liked those kinds of games when I was a kid. I guess times have changed.

RexNovis

Banned

I got my 4 year old nephew an Atari 5200 with a flash cart for his birthday. He fucking loves it. Thinks it's the coolest thing. Especially "galakin" (Galaxian) and "spay bayder" (space invaders). Kid has absolutely zero interest in pacman though.

Kids really aren't that hard to amuse. Honestly I think parents just spoil the hell out of kids these days. Get them something interesting and different instead. Broaden their horizons. Get them an SNES or a Genesis or something. Let them see the games you played when you were a kid.

Alo0oy

Banned
Can anybody give me the rundown of all the software sales we have so far? I know about the hardware sales but I didn't keep up with the thread.

kswiston

Are there any examples of games labeled with 5 (e.g. Halo 5, MGSV) that weren't massive disappointments compared to their predecessors besides Rockstar's game? Assassin's Creed has done everything to avoid this number for a reason.

I imagine it especially hurts story-focused games because people don't feel comfortable hopping in at the end.

Are you talking about sales or quality? Sales are a mixed bag, but most of the major JRPG series that I can think of had pretty good #5s actually - Final Fantasy 5, Dragon Quest 5, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Suikoden 5, Tales of Symphonia, Front Mission 5, Disgaea 5, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, Xenoblade Chronicles (if you cheat :p). Hopefully Persona 5 follows suit

Knack, LBP, Tearaway, Ratchet and Clank, Sound Shapes, Hohokum and Journey are some kid friendly Sony exclusive games I can think of.
You forgot Dreams, currently the best looking (both visually and in terms of just fun factor) "all-ages" friendly game on deck for next year.

I think people underestimate how much Sony in particular goes for the kid market; they don't exclusively market to that segment but they've always had content there for them, and still do. They just don't shout it from the rooftops like Nintendo does, mainly b/c they don't have to.

But Wii U's plug and play external storage capabilities turn a lot of people on to downloading stuff, while PS4's lack of external storage turns a lot of PS4 users off of downloading.

This game. It's easy to play.

Thought it was commonly accepted that digital is less of a factor on Wii U than on the other consoles - is this not the case?

AniHawk

You forgot Dreams, currently the best looking (both visually and in terms of just fun factor) "all-ages" friendly game on deck for next year.

I think people underestimate how much Sony in particular goes for the kid market; they don't exclusively market to that segment but they've always had content there for them, and still do. They just don't shout it from the rooftops like Nintendo does, mainly b/c they don't have to.

sony's in a weird spot of having provided content to this market for the last five years or so while also getting the least out of it among first party developers aside from littlebigplanet 2. i think part of the reason is that aside from media.molecule, they tend not to treat this market seriously. they tend to put b and c teams on this sort of thing.

and dreams might be all-ages but it doesn't mean it's accessible to everyone. i have a feeling ratchet & clank will be their best shot at this market anyway. i also have a feeling it won't be the success they want.

watdaeff4

Kids really aren't that hard to amuse. Honestly I think parents just spoil the hell out of kids these days. Get them something interesting and different instead. Broaden their horizons. Get them an SNES or a Genesis or something. Let them see the games you played when you were a kid.

Agree with this also, another benefit for the WiiU. Not just current games, but VC catalog (esp both WiiU and Wii BC)

I don't have to buy them a SNES or Genesis

Alo0oy

Banned
sony's in a weird spot of having provided content to this market for the last five years or so while also getting the least out of it among first party developers aside from littlebigplanet 2. i think part of the reason is that aside from media.molecule, they tend not to treat this market seriously. they tend to put b and c teams on this sort of thing.

and dreams might be all-ages but it doesn't mean it's accessible to everyone. i have a feeling ratchet & clank will be their best shot at this market anyway. i also have a feeling it won't be the success they want.

Ratchet and Clank always sold well, just not in NA, as of the last update the franchise sold 26 million units which is as high as other big first party franchises like God of War & Singstar.

The Ratchet and Clank characters were first introduced in 2002, with the games quickly becoming a successful series exclusive to Sony’s PlayStation consoles. They’ve sold 26 million copies worldwide.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ratchet-clank-games-get-film-treatment-exclusive-1200409274/

This was as of early 2013, before the release of ITN.

AniHawk

Ratchet and Clank always sold well, just not in NA, as of the last update the franchise sold 26 million units which is as high as other big first party franchises like God of War & Singstar.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ratchet-clank-games-get-film-treatment-exclusive-1200409274/

This was as of early 2013, before the release of ITN.

i forget the franchise must be/used to be doing really well in europe then. and after itn, sales could even be upwards of 26 million.

Alo0oy

Banned
i forget the franchise must be/used to be doing really well in europe then. and after itn, sales could even be upwards of 26 million.

Sony's problem isn't with family friendly titles, it's SCEA's ineptitude of selling their games in North America, no matter the target audience, some of their games manage to sell up to three times more in Europe, the only IP they have that can debut at over 1 million on NPD right now is God of War. They relatively killed Gran Turismo in North America, & Naughty Dog's games still sell <1 million in their debut month despite managing to sell 8-10 million units WW. LBP also manages to sell ~4 million despite having weak numbers in NA.

SCEA's marketing team needs a complete overhaul if they want their games to do well in NA. That includes capturing the family market, they will almost certainly fumble with R&C's marketing next year.

SCEE never had those problems even in the early PS3 days.

Ray Down

Banned
How come UD ~275K after 3 months is good/impressive and ROTR ~200k after 1 month is a bomba?

-One was nearly a PS3 game made for the Move
-One doesn't have a huge triple A budget
-One had nearly zero marketing outside of PS blog and youtube lets plays
-Made by a studio whos last game was a shitty Doctor Who game for the Wii

-One game stars one of the most well known video game character from the 90's and maybe beyond
-One is a triple A game from big studio with a triple A budget
-One was shown at every major Microsoft conference for over a year
-One had a marketing campaign and a bundle (as little as it was in had commercials)
-One is a follow up to a good/great rated game that many people enjoyed (not me per say)

Its simple, your bias is real.

stryke

n8A27Z3.gif

lol this is good.

panda-zebra

Banned
Thread has been great with the notorious NDP, cream and harker sharing a wealth of seasonal cheer. MS/SE info from a newly bish-checked user was a surprise, that new splatoon gif nicely done and even Noobie's feigned ignorance managed to raise a smile for once - thanks to you all.

You can't spell Spencer without PR.

But if you do, you get eerily close to making "sense".

And then that, bravo. Can only hope the pair are quoted as first post in each and every "Phil Spencer says..." thread over the coming year for great justice.

Vena

Imru’ al-Qays;189452981 said:
Thought it was commonly accepted that digital is less of a factor on Wii U than on the other consoles - is this not the case?

Digital has generally been reported to be lower, yes. But he was making a joke.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
i believe that's 14 months of sales?

after 19 months of sales, bayonetta 1 did 150k on the ps3 and 200k on the 360.

Including first month digital sales alone, it's at 190k. It should be higher. If it maintanted the same digital share as launch (10%), it's exactly at 200k, but I'd say it's more plausible it's under that.

Also, Bayonetta 2 didn't get relevant discounts at retail until the last month (35$ at Gamestop), which is a huge difference compared to the first Bayonetta, correct?

Vena

Including first month digital sales alone, it's at 190k. It should be higher. If it maintanted the same digital share as launch (10%), it's exactly at 200k, but I'd say it's more plausible it's under that.

Also, Bayonetta 2 didn't get relevant discounts at retail until the last month (35$ at Gamestop), which is a huge difference compared to the first Bayonetta, correct?

Yes. Bayo2 has been selling at full or close to full for its entire cycle as far Nintendo "price holding" goes. It didn't get W101/AlternateUniverseSplatoon-ed.

Rymuth

whats your source for that? just curious
Germany gives awards to games that cross milestones

November German sales awards

CoD: Black Ops 3 - 500k (all platforms) [digital included]
CoD: Black Ops 3 - 200k (PS4)
Fallout 4 - 200k (PS4)
Fallout 4 - 100k (PC) [digital included)
Mario Party 10 - 100k (Wii U) [digital included]
Need for Speed - 100k (PS4)
Star Wars: Battlefront - 100k (PS4)
Until Dawn - 100k (PS4) [digital included]

Updated 100k+ seller list for PS4

FIFA 14 - 200k
Assassin's Creed 4 - 100k
Battlefield 4 - 100k
CoD: Ghosts - 100k
Killzone: Shadow Fall - 100k
Watch_Dogs - 200k
inFamous: SS - 100k
TLoU: Remastered - 200k
Destiny - 200k
FIFA 15 - 500k
CoD: Advanced Warfare - 200k
GTAV - 500k
AC Unity - 200k
Far Cry 4 - 200k
Shadow of Mordor - 100k
NFS Rivals - 100k
DRIVECLUB - 200k
The Evil Within - 100k
Dragon Age: Inquisition - 100k
Battlefield: Hardline - 100k
The Crew - 100k
The Witcher 3 - 200k
Minecraft - 100k
The Order - 100k
Batman: Arkham Knight - 100k
FIFA 16 - 500k
Bloodborne - 100k
Project CARS - 100k
MGSV: TPP - 100k
AC: Syndicate - 100k
CoD: Black Ops 3 - 200k
Fallout 4 - 200k
Need for Speed - 100k
Star Wars: Battlefront - 100k
Until Dawn - 100k

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...n-computer-und-videospiele-im-november-1.html

noobie

Banned
Sony's problem isn't with family friendly titles, it's SCEA's ineptitude of selling their games in North America, no matter the target audience, some of their games manage to sell up to three times more in Europe, the only IP they have that can debut at over 1 million on NPD right now is God of War. They relatively killed Gran Turismo in North America, & Naughty Dog's games still sell <1 million in their debut month despite managing to sell 8-10 million units WW. LBP also manages to sell ~4 million despite having weak numbers in NA.

SCEA's marketing team needs a complete overhaul if they want their games to do well in NA. That includes capturing the family market, they will almost certainly fumble with R&C's marketing next year.

SCEE never had those problems even in the early PS3 days.

SCEA has a marketing team. :O thats a news..

On a serious note i think SCEA ran a good marketing campaign with Kevin Butler, some of those ads were really brilliant. I believe they can use something like that again..

HooYaH

SCEA has a marketing team. :O thats a news.. but i think SCEA ran a good marketing campaign with Kevin Butler, some of those ads were really brilliant. I believe they can use something like that again..

Imagine if they get Crash back and bring back those Crash commercials.

RexNovis

Banned
Starwars: Battlefront bundle out of stock in Amazon

Can i still not say that Sony is complacent? One of the worst time for the bundle to be out of stock, just couple of days before the movie release.

We had multiple retail insiders talking about how there were tons of those bundles being held back in storage explicitly for the sale. As such, if they are sold out that is far more likely to mean that the bundle sold amazingly well than it is that Sony under stocked. Stick shortages do not prove "complacency." Keep trying though. I'm sure you'll find something eventually.

Mpl90

Yes. Bayo2 has been selling at full or close to full for its entire cycle as far Nintendo "price holding" goes. It didn't get W101/AlternateUniverseSplatoon-ed.

Yeah, it surely didn't see the same fate as W101, price-wise. I hope it still chugs along..just because I want Bayonetta 3 / Kid Icarus Uprising 2 made by Platinum alongside Nintendo (and yes, I was hoping for the latter before the Smash Bros. trailer).

btw, thanks cream for your contribution, as always.

Mpl90

We had multiple retail insiders talking about how there were tons of those bundles being held back in storage explicitly for the sale. As such, if they are sold out that is far more likely to mean that the bundle sold amazingly well than it is that Sony under stocked. Stick shortages do not prove "complacency." Keep trying though. I'm sure you'll find something eventually.

Hasney, the i-

*already in the thread*

Well, then.

chadskin

LTD

UD ~ 275
B2 ~ 182

I'll update LTD for major 2015 games next month.

Great to hear Until Dawn sold a healthy amount of copies. Life is Strange sold really good as well. Encouraging sales all around for this subgenre, bodes well for Detroit and more similar games in the future. :)

noobie

Banned

Dont you think if after this Sony looses December to XBONE, it will mean they were not prepared well. I dont know how much they supplied but i think no one wants to loose their sales especially during Holiday period because these sales are lost for ever as many people are buying it as gift and they need to have something under the tree. !!!

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom