• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Once again I get to go neener neener at the FUCKKONAMI people who thought giving Kojima 80 million dollars was reasonable. It never was. I feel vindicated, which I shouldn't have to be, but some irrational fans were mean to me last month.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Its staggering to me that MS went all out with Halo, Gears, Forza, TR and got beat by Sony with NDC.

MS IPs are weaker than ever these days.
They probably are just a little. The Gears/Halo/Forza wash, rinse, repeat cycle has hurt the sales. SW is better these days all around but I said the same thing about their pillars around 2009/10. This isn't a new take by me but I has to chime in and agree with you.

Matt

Once again I get to go neener neener at the FUCKKONAMI people who thought giving Kojima 80 million dollars was reasonable. It never was. I feel vindicated, which I shouldn't have to be, but some irrational fans were mean to me last month.
+1

RexNovis

Banned

Yea his budget was way out of hand but do we know if the game was profitable for Konami?

watdaeff4

To piggyback onto this Konami marketing research probably got them to expect this and that's why the LE console wasn't released in the US

sirap

To piggyback onto this Konami marketing research probably got them to expect this and that's why the LE console wasn't released in the US

Investing that much also made sense if they planned on using the engine for subsequent games. To bad we won't be getting any more AAA games using the Fox engine :(

Y2Kev

This deserves the biggest fucking "b...b...b...Konami shipped 8 BILLION copies and Quiet is not exploitative f u anita!!!" post ever but I won't do that.

:)

Everyone's all #FucKonami because, well, they suck, but it's obvious Kojima lost the plot too. It seems silly to me to die on that hill.

Investing that much also made sense if they planned on using the engine for subsequent games. To bad we won't be getting any more AAA games using the Fox engine :(

I sure hope Kojima didn't expect to have his moneypit amortized over multiple games...given you know damn well he would have spent another $80MM on the next one.

I don't know if it's a best practice to budget one title to lose money based off a future title 5+ years out. Seems pretty bad given opportunity cost and uncertainty.

Matt

This is such a bad argument that gets trotted out every time this discussion comes up. No, it probably was not worth the investment, even if Konami kept making games.

watdaeff4

So just throwing it out there

If MGSV is less than 1 million on all platforms after 3 months;

Is SE taking cash up front and selling 200k on two platform in one month (not counting a few bundles) seems a little different to me now

gtj1092

Actually, I think that is the only sure way to make public excited about PS4 port RotTR. Currently everyone is in the "meh" mode because they have to wait and marketing for Xbone version was far from good.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/wjxdxik9g8wpe1fsbye1.gif
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/161/038/stealth-kill-2.gif
:)

Man, Sony is fucking it up with console stock. Uncharted Collection [dropped to #64 on hourly list] is out of stock on Amazon for days now, and it will get replenished on Dec 23, eight days from now! ~_~ Battlefront bundle at $299 is the only big PS4 seller right now [#2 in hourly list].

That doesn't mean they fucked up. I think it is their plan. NDC for black Friday. SW for movie week. BO3 for Christmas week. If you look at the charts the SW bundle is shooting up the yearly.

It would be a fuck up if they didn't have any stock. There are plenty of Ps4s in the channel.

The bundles Sony wants to sell are available.

Where is the fuck up. Do you think people were buying the NDC bundle for the game. When all bundles were $349 the NDC one was the lowest selling.

Y2Kev

OK I LIED totally doing it

Me: anyone still think it was worth giving Kojima a blank check? Topic is last month's NPD.

So how many copies has MGS5 solid sold worldwide including the Ground Zeroes? How much did it cost and how much profit has it made? Obviously you know otherwise you wouldn't be questioning giving Kojima a blank cheque. The game is a commercial and critical success! Boom!

I GOT BOOMED

So just throwing it out there

If MGSV is less than 1 million on all platforms after 3 months;

Is SE taking cash up front and selling 200k on two platform in one month (not counting a few bundles) seems a little different to me now

MGS has never sold what TR reboot sold, I think!

Yea his budget was way out of hand but do we know if the game was profitable for Konami?

Well even if it was profitable that's not the end to the story. Konami probably think those 80 million or so that were spent on MGSV would've been better spent on more profitable ventures.

Opportunity cost and all that jazz.

Konami lied about shipment numbers three months ago, or this is referring to something else? Halo 5?
It shipped 3 million worldwide probably. Sold less than that of course.
Edit: Hope the 200k was worth the 1 million missed sales. Bah, who am I kidding Microsoft probably paid millions to make it a timed exclusive.

Fdkn

Do we have UK/EU numbers? I know the JP sales were around 600k, something like that.

Japan is over 600k not counting digital
Steamspy is around 800k
<1M retail in the US
I could try to dig some EU numbers in old PAL threads but EU is not a smaller market than US, and it had the bundle there too
then there is ROTW

The game should be around ~3.5 minimum.

Matt

Steamspy is around 800k
<1M retail in the US
I could try to dig some EU numbers in old PAL threads but EU is not a smaller market than US, and it had the bundle there too
then there is ROTW

Eh, more like maximum.

Steamspy is around 800k
<1M retail in the US
then there is ROTW

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Steam, silly me. That ain't too bad.

sirap

I sure hope Kojima didn't expect to have his moneypit amortized over multiple games...given you know damn well he would have spent another $80MM on the next one.

I don't know if it's a best practice to budget one title to lose money based off a future title 5+ years out. Seems pretty bad given opportunity cost and uncertainty.

This is such a bad argument that gets trotted out every time this discussion comes up. No, it probably was not worth the investment, even if Konami kept making games.

I don't know what Kojima/Konami's original intentions were. I'm just giving my opinion on why they would invest so much into a new engine ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Melchiah

No, people are laughing because they're entitled Sony fanboys who feel slighted because someone didn't kowtow to them for a change and they're petty about it. If the shoe were on the other foot surely people's faux integrity nonsense would cease to exist.

So, you wouldn't feel the same at all, if Xbox related franchise, like Mass Effect, would be timed exclusive to PS4/PC?

watdaeff4

MGS has never sold what TR reboot sold, I think!

I think you are correct and I still believe it's a bad deal for everyone but in my eyes I think it may not be so bad for SE Depending on how much money they got from Microsoft and how much PC sales they'll get in the spring

Edit: The funny thing is is that some people think that Microsoft is the only one who came out good in this deal but in the end they might wind up the worst because nothing that they hope to achieve out of it seems to come to fruition - basing on my speculation on why they made the deal

Fdkn

Eh, more like maximum.

Assuming a normal digital ratio worldwide it should be over that but I don't really care, just pointing out that under 2-3M was unreasonable.

The game didn't drop in price yet as mgs games always so it should keep selling over time too.

pastrami

Whatever. Kojima probably has all these suitors offering him massive AAA budgets. If Konami can't appreciate losing money for the sake of an auteur, someone else will.

Massa

Its staggering to me that MS went all out with Halo, Gears, Forza, TR and got beat by Sony with NDC.

MS IPs are weaker than ever these days.

Eh, Microsoft were FAR less aggressive on bundling and pricing than they were last year and they still kept their YoY increase streak. They had a very good line-up and it did its job.

Assuming a normal digital ratio worldwide it should be over that but I don't really care, just pointing out that under 2-3M was unreasonable.

The game didn't drop in price yet as mgs games always so it should keep selling over time too.

Didn't the game win PlayStation Platinum award for shipping more then 1 million copies in Japan + Asia?

SpotAnime

Surprise: V LTD < 1M

Anyone have sales figures for the other MGS mainline games? Wondering if this is par for the series or a symptom of a steady decline. It certainly reviewed well, had great word of mouth among core gamers. Did GZ maybe turn the general consumer off? Or poor marketing to blame? Sounds like for whatever reason it just didn't reach the Target/Walmart audience.

allan-bh

Anyone have sales figures for the other MGS mainline games? Wondering if this is par for the series or a symptom of a steady decline. It certainly reviewed well, had great word of mouth among core gamers. Did GZ maybe turn the general consumer off? Or poor marketing to blame? Sounds like for whatever reason it just didn't reach the Target/Walmart audience.

MGS 4 closed 2008 (7 months of sales) with 1.08m. Plus 220k bundles were sold in first month.

Y2Kev

I am disappoint kev, i thought that post would be more epic.
Honestly I looked back and aside from some literally insane mgs fans who are insane most people agreed with me. So I guess I just have a thing for insane mgs fans. I used to be one so it hurts.

Y2Kev

It has dropped in price.

Top Bottom