• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2021; SWITCH #1; Skyward Sword #1, Nintendo killing it YTD

Celine

It seems you can't see that Nintendo Switch is selling like most Nintendo handhelds. No one really really thinks it's a serious under the TV console. It's nothing more than the follow up to the 3DS in all but name and like most Nintendo handhelds its sells loads and makes tons of cash.
Switch certainly isn't selling similarly to 3DS.
Comparing the sales in the same timeframe between 3DS and NSW (first 50 quarters).

3DS:
America: 17.91M
Europe+Others: 15.90M
Japan: 19.25M

NSW:
America: 34.86M
Europe+Others: 32.99M
Japan: 21.20M

Note that by this point in time 3DS sales in the following fiscal year ended up at 6.79M whereas Nintendo's forecast for the current fiscal year is 25.50M of Switch consoles sold.

Tony Hawk isn't in the top 10 on either Playstation nor Xbox, yet it's #13 overall

UFC is #7 on Playstation and also not in the top 20 over all.

What does that tell us?
Exactly. Not much.
Xbox and PS list are only top 10 games. Tony Hawk is also on PC and Switch, did you check how it did in those platforms? I find nothing surprising about it.

UFC is #7 on the PlayStation list, Mass Effect is a 4th place.

Bodomism

Banned
Mario Kart 8 is on there too. Arguably that's more impressive given it's a port of a game that was out for years on a different system.
Mario Kart 8 is multiplayer type of game so it's easier to draw a new player, while single player games needed to rely heavily on word of mouth to carry the game like BOTW. Usually single player games would vanish in less than a few months after the released on the market.

Xbox and PS list are only top 10 games. Tony Hawk is also on PC and Switch, did you check how it did in those platforms? I find nothing surprising about it.

UFC is #7 on the PlayStation list, Mass Effect is a 4th place.
It's not in the top 10 on Switch either and PC sales are not tracked at all, because the game isn't on Steam.

If a games is constantly in the top 10 platform list with just physical sales, that game is selling extremely well.

Last edited:

EDMIX

However, that consistency has let Nintendo have more recognizable

That helped the Wii U how? =)

Understand that it comes at a cost. Its not a gamble that will pay off at all times, this is where making new IP is needed to keep consumers coming vs milking the same thing and acting surprised when a few failures happen.
I'd argue stronger IP over Sony and MS

Its not worth it for Sony when they can move 20 million plus units on a new IP and still put out established IP.... it means that Sony can continue to make new things and get new consumers, while Nintendo needs to keep doing the same thing. If Sony spent all their enegry on the same fucking shit, we never get Horizon moving 10 plus million, we never get Uncharted breaking records nor The Last Of Us or Ghost Of Tsushima etc.

Sooooooooo I'd say the strength is on their side that at any time, an IP you never fucking heard of before that gen, moves "zelda" numbers. Sony doesn't need any of that concept to move record numbers, it means they can be fresh, new, experiment, take risk etc. They don't need to have all their eggs in 1 basket of an IP doing well sinking them or not.

So Sony's brand is something people recognize from making great new titles at any time, as to why they move record units... they are not held back by 1 or 2 IP, they are supported because of the TEAMS that make those games and not simply the IP itself.

Same ol G Same ol G agreed. Though I don't only game on Nintendo, I know a few friends that do have it as their main system. I literally had to give them one of my PS4's so they could play RE2 and RE3 remake lol

BlackTron BlackTron lol THANK YOU! Star Fox Zero or any of their major outsourced failures needs to show this publisher could give 2 shits about quality. The online for Wii, Wii U and even Switch is so fucking bad, yet Nintendo seems to just ignore those netcode issues all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

Meesh

GAF insisted that Skyward Sword was the worst offense in gaming and that no one would buy it. I'm so confused right now.
I am too... sorta. I knew it would sell, all the Nintendo IP sell well on Switch it seems. I just think SS isn't as good as their other Zeldas. And besides, Zelda anniversary and all.

Astral Dog

I am too... sorta. I knew it would sell, all the Nintendo IP sell well on Switch it seems. I just think SS isn't as good as their other Zeldas. And besides, Zelda anniversary and all.
Alot of people will be trying Skyward Sword for the first time on Switch, nerds on game forums were never going to keep the game from selling.
And its not like its gonna approach BotW numbers or anything.

Skyward Sword is a solid game, its selling as expected.

Kokoloko85

I bought Skyward Sword and enjoying it.
At this point I think Mario Kart’s on the chart because it comes with the console in alot of pack in’s etc. No way thats individual sales alone lol

Kjtc1979

I bought Skyward Sword and enjoying it.
At this point I think Mario Kart’s on the chart because it comes with the console in alot of pack in’s etc. No way thats individual sales alone lol
It’s been a digital pack-in for Black Friday sales. But all the NPD sales are physical and standalone. It does go on sale quite a bit, though.

Kokoloko85

I always said it was short-termism and your commentary doesn't really contradict that.
They are selling now..... but people are not happy.

It's very short-sighted and it is lowering the ceiling for sales constantly.

Nintendo are the ones they should be looking at, are the blind to see that Nintendo are the ones kicking ass? Why are they emulating the company in last place???
Are you saying they should be copying the strategy of the company that has consistently come in last?

The problem is that there are a lot of people out here that either dont care about PlayStation or HATE PlayStation..... and they are actively trying to appear like they are acting in Sony's interest by saying to port games. But they just want a way to avoid buying a PlayStation.....a way to buy the great games on sale.

PlayStation should be trying to make these people either care enough to buy a PS5 or force them to buy one instead of listening to people actively trying to undermine the brand.

Yeah keep PS games exclusive to the console.
At this rate if steam releases a console like the Steam Deck next, that means Playstation game will be on another console. I think Sony might stop porting to Steam at that point.

I don’t mind seeing some games go the PC, 3+ years after release but not all the games. Having every game on the PC is a disaster. And I really don’t think they will be releasing big PS5 exclusives to the PC anytime soon. I mean they have released like 2 1st party games out of over 30+ exclusives from the PS3/PS4/PS5 lol. Lets hope they don‘t.

Also alot of people praising Nintendo as a long dominance but as much as I love Nintendo and been loyal to them every generation. If the Switch wasn’t a portable no1 would care about it Or the IP’s as much as people say.
Wii U didn’t do great even with all the awesome exclusives released, Japan didnt care about them either. Neither did Gamecube or N64 etc. The N64 was even outsold by the Saturn in Japan.

They really have done a amazing job with it all though. They’ve made games like Animal Crossing become commercial hits and system sellers whereas before it was the usual Mario, Zelda and Pokemon games that would sell the consoles only.
Nintendo IP’s sell well amongst its fans and owners but PlayStation exclusives sell consoles. But Nintendo is changing that This generation.

Nintendo portables are what make them successful, and they hit the jackpot with a console powered Hybrid. Otherwise neither Japan or the world would care about it if the Switch was a console only.

The Wii done great because it was a fraction of the price of the comeptiion and was a commercial hit ( for all the motion controls ) but otherwise Nintendo console’s have been commercial duds since the Snes in and outside of Japan.

I love Nintendo games and have owned every Nintendo console but they need to keep it hyprid/portable to survive. Just like Playstation needs to keep there games to consoles.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It’s been a digital pack-in for Black Friday sales. But all the NPD sales are physical and standalone. It does go on sale quite a bit, though.

Thats impressive then.
I dont think we’ve had a time in gaming where games stay in the charts for so long.
GTA5, Minecraft, Mario Kart etc

Dream-Knife

Banned
Have to correct ya there buddy, Nintendo has always been my main platform.
Playstation is always a secondary for the FF games GT, GTA and the occasional jrpg that doesn't come to Nintendo systems.
Xbox....well i like what they are doing with the system but they don't really have the games to warrant a purchase instead of a Playstation.
Sorry, I meant only platform. I feel that since the GC you have to own a different system with a Ninrendo console, while the opposite isn't necessarily true unless you like one of their exclusives.
That helped the Wii U how? =)

Understand that it comes at a cost. Its not a gamble that will pay off at all times, this is where making new IP is needed to keep consumers coming vs milking the same thing and acting surprised when a few failures happen.

Its not worth it for Sony when they can move 20 million plus units on a new IP and still put out established IP.... it means that Sony can continue to make new things and get new consumers, while Nintendo needs to keep doing the same thing. If Sony spent all their enegry on the same fucking shit, we never get Horizon moving 10 plus million, we never get Uncharted breaking records nor The Last Of Us or Ghost Of Tsushima etc.

Sooooooooo I'd say the strength is on their side that at any time, an IP you never fucking heard of before that gen, moves "zelda" numbers. Sony doesn't need any of that concept to move record numbers, it means they can be fresh, new, experiment, take risk etc. They don't need to have all their eggs in 1 basket of an IP doing well sinking them or not.

So Sony's brand is something people recognize from making great new titles at any time, as to why they move record units... they are not held back by 1 or 2 IP, they are supported because of the TEAMS that make those games and not simply the IP itself.
Wii U is an interesting case. Apparently a lot of people didn't know it was a console.

That being said I skipped both wii and wii u (and PS3 and xb360) and have no desire to play their library.

Kokoloko85

Sorry, I meant only platform. I feel that since the GC you have to own a different system with a Ninrendo console, while the opposite isn't necessarily true unless you like one of their exclusives.

Wii U is an interesting case. Apparently a lot of people didn't know it was a console.

That being said I skipped both wii and wii u (and PS3 and xb360) and have no desire to play their library.

Wii U had some great games, luckily most are on the Switch. Defo check them out. The Wii…. Is my least favourite console ever, but it had some good titles like Skyward Sword And Paper Mario, I just really disliked the controller and most the games.
The Wii was Nintendo best selling console but to me it had the worst library of games if you don’t include the BC and Virtual console.

In general, Nintendo consoles don’t sell amazingly like there portables do. With the exception of the Wii which even my grandma played, Nintendo consoles havent done great since the Snes.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Wii U had some great games, luckily most are on the Switch. Defo check them out. The Wii…. Is my least favourite console ever, but it had some good titles like Skyward Sword And Paper Mario, I just really disliked the controller and most the games.
The Wii was Nintendo best selling console but to me it had the worst library of games if you don’t include the BC and Virtual console.

In general, Nintendo consoles don’t sell amazingly like there portables do. With the exception of the Wii which even my grandma played, Nintendo consoles havent done great since the Snes.
I really enjoy the 64, so much it's my favorite console. Gamecube was good in retrospect, but you had to have a ps2 or xbox that gen. I actually like all 3 that gen. Never got into paper mario, I have the one for GC.

I actually didn't like WW and TP. Pretty much kills my desire to try SS.

Xenoblade X was cool. Borrowed a friend's system to play that.

Kokoloko85

I really enjoy the 64, so much it's my favorite console. Gamecube was good in retrospect, but you had to have a ps2 or xbox that gen. I actually like all 3 that gen. Never got into paper mario, I have the one for GC.

I actually didn't like WW and TP. Pretty much kills my desire to try SS.

Xenoblade X was cool. Borrowed a friend's system to play that.

Same I loved the N64 even though it was my 3rd favourite console of the Generation. Games like Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Banjo, WWF No Mercy, Hybrid Heaven, Golden Eye etc were amazing and much more.

Yes PS2, Xbox and Gamecube was another amazing generation. Hard to choose my 2nd favourite out of Xbox and Gamecube. The OG xbox is my favourite xbox console thats for sure. Star Wars KOTOR, Halo etc.

But I had alot of fun on the gamecube too with Mario Sunshine, Smash, Mario Kart, Resident Evil Remake, RE Zero and RE 4,
Naruto Taiden ( multiplayer lol ) Luigi’s Mansion and I did like Wind Waker, it has grown alot more on me since the Wii U.

Zelda SS is very different to WW and TW, worth a try when its on sale if you like the other Zelda games.

Paper Mario GC is probably the best one but in my opinion.

EDMIX

bbbbut, but brand recognition? /s

Do you not see how that might be confusing to even the core fans if they continue to do the same shit over and over again to the point of a system failing based on the assumption that people didn't kow it was a console? That might be a good reason to fucking focus the brand on their core teams vs SOELY a handful of IP.

So having something called Playstation move 100 million, didn't stop something else called Playstation 2 from moving even more, they built their brand on new IP, thus no shock is happening when they do new shit, even when the system is just called 2, 3, 4 etc of the last one, its focus is on those new IP,vs 1 or 2 IP, thus no confusion is really happening with those who understand the brand. So Wii U didn't fail because it had bad games, it failed based on a community so use to them doing the same thing, simply calling that shit "Wii" was enough for them to think it was the same shit, that is what happens when a brand gets so stale, the community doesn't see such things as "new" and get confused, assumes its an attachment etc

Those games moving massive units on Switch proves nothing was wrong with the games themselves, but the home console market was dead for Nintendo and portable made sense to double down on with Switch. Regardless, the habit of doing the same thing over and over can get any company in some trouble.

Wii U failed cause yes, "a lot of people didn't know it was a console" cause they fucking ASSUMED something about the brand. Nintendo's fault for spamming that shit all over the place. Their own base simply thought it was nothing new, but fuck I'd think the same thing if Call Of Duty 15 came out and was titled several similar things compared to the last or just kept re-using shit etc.

edit. We should put you in jail for not playing Paper Mario! Criminal scum!!!! lol

Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 Same. Gamecube is legit the last solid Nintendo generation with quality titles. imho Best Mario, Best Smash Bros, best Zelda, best Paper Mario, best Metroid etc.

Wii fucking ruined that quality, then you got worst paper mario, worst zelda, and it as a wrap for me ever buying Nintendo home consoles. I just stick to their portables now (don't got a choice now with switch with them just doing that now)

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

edit. We should put you in jail for not playing Paper Mario! Criminal scum!!!! lol

Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 Same. Gamecube is legit the last solid Nintendo generation with quality titles. imho Best Mario, Best Smash Bros, best Zelda, best Paper Mario, best Metroid etc.

Wii fucking ruined that quality, then you got worst paper mario, worst zelda, and it as a wrap for me ever buying Nintendo home consoles. I just stick to their portables now (don't got a choice now with switch with them just doing that now)

Lol at the criminal scum.

Indeed the best Mario, I love sunshine And i totally forgot about Metroid. - And i forgot about Pikmin 1 & 2 which is one of my favourite franchises lol.

Yes i hate the Wii. I really hesitated buying the Wii U, but I did it for Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and the Virtual Console.
Wii is literally my least favourite console ever and Ive owned all the main ones apart from Master System and Xbox 1/Series S/X

kiphalfton

here's a better idea, don't make stuff up to make yourself feel special or clever, you said something demonstrably false,
here are all the games Nintendo has published on the switch
one the left, all switch exclusive, on the right everything that is a wiiu port, so you know criticize for real things, not fake narrative things
so 75% of 1st party switch games are exclusive to the switch. and before you try, I pulled anything that wasn't develop by nintendo or isn't built off of an existing nintendo IPs (and pulling those shifts further towards switch as it knocks out 3 wiiu releases against 4 switch releases), I also pulled the 4 labos, mario kart live circuit and ring fit just incase you wanted to nuh-uh those don't count. nor does it include any of the eshop releases incase you wanted to discount those as well for reasons.
basically, I've already moved every goal post you could try and the wiiU still only makes up a minority of the switch's first-party efforts
1-2 Switch - 2017The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2017
ARMS - 2017Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 2017
Splatoon 2 - 2017Pokkén Tournament DX - 2017 (International releases)
Fire Emblem Warriors - 2017Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2018
Super Mario Odyssey - 2017Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 2017Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 2018
Kirby: Star Allies - 2018New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 2019
Mario Tennis Aces - 2018Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore - 2020
Super Mario Party - 2018Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 2021
Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! - 2018
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 2018
Yoshi's Crafted World - 2019
Super Mario Maker 2 - 2019
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2019
Tetris 99 - 2019
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - 2021
Miitopia - 2021
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 2019
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 2019
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 2019
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 2020
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2020
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 2020
Paper Mario: The Origami King - 2020
Mario Golf: Super Rush - 2021
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 2020 (Outside of Japan)
New Pokémon Snap - 2021

Using Arms, 1-2 switch, Tetris 99, and 5-6 other games to pad out your list. Lol.

Convenient you left out Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned

Do you not see how that might be confusing to even the core fans if they continue to do the same shit over and over again to the point of a system failing based on the assumption that people didn't kow it was a console? That might be a good reason to fucking focus the brand on their core teams vs SOELY a handful of IP.

So having something called Playstation move 100 million, didn't stop something else called Playstation 2 from moving even more, they built their brand on new IP, thus no shock is happening when they do new shit, even when the system is just called 2, 3, 4 etc of the last one, its focus is on those new IP,vs 1 or 2 IP, thus no confusion is really happening with those who understand the brand. So Wii U didn't fail because it had bad games, it failed based on a community so use to them doing the same thing, simply calling that shit "Wii" was enough for them to think it was the same shit, that is what happens when a brand gets so stale, the community doesn't see such things as "new" and get confused, assumes its an attachment etc

Those games moving massive units on Switch proves nothing was wrong with the games themselves, but the home console market was dead for Nintendo and portable made sense to double down on with Switch. Regardless, the habit of doing the same thing over and over can get any company in some trouble.

Wii U failed cause yes, "a lot of people didn't know it was a console" cause they fucking ASSUMED something about the brand. Nintendo's fault for spamming that shit all over the place. Their own base simply thought it was nothing new, but fuck I'd think the same thing if Call Of Duty 15 came out and was titled several similar things compared to the last or just kept re-using shit etc.

Yeah, but you're forgetting that the majority of Nintendo buyers are casuals. As are all consoles. They don't know what they don't know.

Video games come in waves too. People hated the GC back then, now everyone loves it. Tides change, and the future is unpredictable.

You should be put in jail for thinking Zelda best games were on GC. 🤣

But everyone's tastes are different I guess.

I do think Nintendo's next console won't be as successful. I also feel like the Switch will start loosing steam soon. The rabid fans don't seem as prominent anymore, signaling that the core is getting tired.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
PlayStation_All-Stars_Battle_Royale
Allstarsntsc.png
puke GIF

MrA

Banned
Using Arms, 1-2 switch, Tetris 99, and 5-6 other games to pad out your list. Lol.

Convenient you left out Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3.
so those don't count because? frankly, there really should be more games switch exclusively than I already pulled, even with your ultra arbitrary nun-uh don't count (needs to be in an obnoxious pre-pubescent voice)
I also left off astral chain, marvel ultimate alliance, mario + rabbids , and bravely default 2 (plus some more you'd probably nuh-uh don't count) so including bayonetta 2 would add at least 4 more games to the switch list (unless those don't count because developed by third-party counts for wiiu but not for switch because you have a narrative)
so you know you are wrong but won't concede because your ego is tied into a narative, pretty pathetic

Switch certainly isn't selling similarly to 3DS.
Comparing the sales in the same timeframe between 3DS and NSW (first 50 quarters).

3DS:
America: 17.91M
Europe+Others: 15.90M
Japan: 19.25M

NSW:
America: 34.86M
Europe+Others: 32.99M
Japan: 21.20M

Note that by this point in time 3DS sales in the following fiscal year ended up at 6.79M whereas Nintendo's forecast for the current fiscal year is 25.50M of Switch consoles sold.
And you could turn that on its head and say that the Switch isn't selling like past Nintendo home consoles.
You might class it as a main under the TV console, I just see it as Nintendo next handheld and the fact that I can hook it up to the TV doesn't change that

Celine

And you could turn that on its head and say that the Switch isn't selling like past Nintendo home consoles.
You might class it as a main under the TV console, I just see it as Nintendo next handheld and the fact that I can hook it up to the TV doesn't change that
Trying to class the Switch under TV, tabletop or handheld categories is an act of futility because its unique selling point is based on destroying that separation to give the convenience to the end user to decide how to utlize it to maximaze his/her playing time.
The other big differentiators with past Nintendo consoles is that Switch is the first game system explicitly designed with multiplatform development in mind and the first Nintendo console with strong digital sales.
The above have/will have consequences on how it performs in its lifespan.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Kinda weird the two blokes who laughed at the op, like.

PlayStation was number one in dollar sales and I didn’t even make a big deal out of it, Xbox last, same. What’s up with boo boo?

Last edited:

Fredrik

We already listed several PS exclusives that hit over 20 million.... that is a lot whatever way you cut it.
It’s only happening late in the generation when they have a big userbase, or with cross gen titles. It’ll take years until you see any 20 million sellers among the PS5 exclusives. And in the end even 20 mil is peanuts compared to how much the big multiplats can sell. Sony simply want bigger numbers, that’s why the PC strategy is so appealing to them, plus PC gaming is growing and through word of mouth a PC release can be like an ad now because of a wider reach.

Bryank75

Banned
It’s only happening late in the generation when they have a big userbase, or with cross gen titles. It’ll take years until you see any 20 million sellers among the PS5 exclusives. And in the end even 20 mil is peanuts compared to how much the big multiplats can sell. Sony simply want bigger numbers, that’s why the PC strategy is so appealing to them, plus PC gaming is growing and through word of mouth a PC release can be like an ad now because of a wider reach.

Peanuts compared to what?

TLOU, GOW, Uncharted 4 and GT 5 & 6 sold 17 and 18 million respectively. GOT and TLOU2 are likely well on their way to numbers like that and GOT is a brand new IP..... TLOU was a new IP too.

The big PlayStation exclusive push came around 2009 during a generation where they faced fierce competition. In fact it was because of the fierce competition that they doubled and tripled down on exclusives.

Now, if they are saying 'we don't need full exclusives anymore'..... that sends quite a worrying message about the state of competition in the industry.

Back to sales..... 20 million puts those games up in the top 50 best selling games of all time with GTA Vice CIty, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, COD: MW2 and Borderlands 2.
Considering the PlayStation games have generally been out for a lot less time and their franchises are generally newer and less established, I would say that the sales are considerable achievements.

Also Mario Bros and things like Wii Fit were bundled with the console.

Super Mario Bros 3 for instance sold 17 million, so did Nintendo stop there and say 'we need PC sales cause these are not enough for us'???
No, they kept the prestige of the IP, kept on building it as a brand and reinforcing the mental conditioning that you need a Nintendo to play Mario along with their other IP's and now it has paid off.

Exclusives are meant to raise the ceiling on hardware sales, that is their purpose. Not to single-handedly make money themselves. If that was the case, PlayStation would just be a game developer, not a platform.

Now with the Steam Deck coming, a portable console and real alternative to PlayStation... it's time to really consider carefully what they are doing with exclusives. Cause you can get all Xbox, PC and probably many PS exclusives on the Deck and use the big screen mode. That really undermines PlayStation as a platform and makes the value proposition look unfavorable.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Astral Dog

Yeah but remember Nintendo was on a decline in the home console market, their quality has always been very high (obviously with some exceptions) the Wii and DS didn't ruin them, catering to different types of gamers made sense for them as they could no longer assure hardcore gamers were going to buy an expensive high end HD Nintendo system. it would have been a waste at the time. Not only for them but third parties were thankful they didn't had to make every game an expensive HD production.(im glad for all the Castlevania games i played on Nintendo)

DS specially had an amazing library, as well as 3DS.and Wii had the best Mario 😉

Nintendo takes care of their IP very well, thats why they have lasted many years, the criticism that they only use a handful may have been valid in the past, but Nintendo now has many new series and games, ARMS, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Ring Fit and Bayonetta to name a few.

Its just that some fanboys have been salty that Nintendo went for a different direction than most of the industry and found success, they been salty since the GameCube(the last time they made a system that surpassed the competition in hardware power 🤔 yet their software numbers aren't much better than Wii/DS, and in many cases worse) . Nintendo has a problem with branding i agree, but they can always rebuild, they discarded the Wii brand when they realised it didn't work anymore, but Nintendo will never stop experimenting with hardware thats their biggest strenght even if it comes at a risk

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wonder if this is more of the Switch effect or Breath of the Wild effect.
I think it's a combination of all the Switch games creating a halo effect, and the conveniece of the hardware.. Remember, BotW was on Wii U. In fact, a lot of these huge Switch games were Wii U games.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I think it's a combination of all the Switch games creating a halo effect, and the conveniece of the hardware.. Remember, BotW was on Wii U. In fact, a lot of these huge Switch games were Wii U games.
I think with Advance Wars and 2D Metroid dropping, it looks like we might be seeing some portable franchises moving over, which is great news for me.

Reactions: Isa

Dr Bass

a full price remaster of an, at best, mediocre game leading the charts...crazy
It's an incredibly good game. Just because it wasn't for you doesn't mean it's mediocre. There are plenty of fantastic games that don't appeal to me. Doesn't mean I go around calling them mediocre.

Kjtc1979

I think with Advance Wars and 2D Metroid dropping, it looks like we might be seeing some portable franchises moving over, which is great news for me.
Buying Ace Attorney and Skyward Sword on the same day reminded me of the convenience of having this all on one platform. It’s been a big upgrade for the handheld franchises especially. Now all I need is time to actually play all of these games!

Last edited:

BlackTron

BlackTron BlackTron lol THANK YOU! Star Fox Zero or any of their major outsourced failures needs to show this publisher could give 2 shits about quality. The online for Wii, Wii U and even Switch is so fucking bad, yet Nintendo seems to just ignore those netcode issues all the way to the bank.

While you're right, I don't think Star Fox Zero is a great example of an outsourced studio failing a Nintendo franchise. I think the idea of a Platinum-developed Star Fox game inspired by 64 is a game I've been desperately wishing for since...20 years ago.

It probably would have been great without Nintendo's/Miyamoto's tampering of the project by forcing the U gamepad nonsense into the game. This is more an example of how badly Nintendo fails internally. This is a title I REALLY wanted, by some miracle a competent studio gets it, and Nintendo has to mess it up for everyone anyway.

I would not mind such experimental takes like Zero or Adventures if it didn't outright replace a real ass normal StarFox game as defined on SNES and 64. We still don't have a true successor to StarFox64 and that was probably the best chance we will ever get.

Meanwhile Nintendo wonders why this franchise has such poor numbers. They have not even thought to try just one normal ass game lol. I know I didn't buy this garbage and I'm a fan with an original boxed copy of SF64 on the shelf 2 feet away from me. I am fucking begging to spend my money on a sequel and I even had a U system. Get it together Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom