• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2021; SWITCH #1; Skyward Sword #1, Nintendo killing it YTD

Thirty7ven

Banned
E8rBM5kUUAETfdn

Year to Date

12 Months

PlayStation

Xbox

Switch

State of the market

July 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories increased 10% when compared to a year ago, reaching a July record $4.6B. Year-to-date spending totaled $33.5B, a 14% increase when compared to the same period in 2020.

Hardware was one of the primary drivers of July gains, as dollar sales of console and portable video game systems were 98% higher than in July 2020. Sales of Content increased by $232M, as Mobile, Subscription and Post-Launch Content spend grew vs year ago

Hardware

July video game hardware dollar sales grew 98% when compared to July 2020, to $323 million. This is the highest total achieved in a July month since 2008 ($447M), and the third highest July month total in history. Year-to-date hardware spending has increased 50% when compared to the same period in 2020, reaching $2.7 billion.

PlayStation 5 led the hardware market in dollar sales for the month of July, while Nintendo Switch once again led in unit sales.

Nintendo Switch is the best-selling video game hardware year-to-date in both unit and dollar sales.

Content

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
was the best-selling game of July 2021. It is the first Nintendo published title to lead the monthly best-sellers chart since the launch of Super Mario 3D world in the February 2021 tracking month.

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin debuted as the third best-selling game of July 2021. Launch month sales of Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin more than tripled the lifetime sales of Monster Hunter Stories, originally released on Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War ranked as the 2nd best-selling game of the month of July, and remains the best-selling game of 2021 year-to-date. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was the best-selling game of the month on both the PlayStation and Xbox platforms.

MLB The Show 21 surpassed Resident Evil: Village to become the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. Year-to-date sales of MLB The Show 21 are the highest in franchise history.

Accessories

July 2021 spending on video game accessories increased 11% when compared to a year ago, reaching $189 million. Year-to-date accessory sales totaled $1.4 billion, an increase of 13% when compared to the same period in 2020.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Edition Joy-Con was the best-selling accessory of July in dollar sales. The PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White remains the best-selling accessory year-to-date.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Bryank75

Banned
PlayStation highest dollar sales for consoles.

MLB second highest selling game of the year.

R&C and Miles Morales in the top half of the charts.

If Sony had more studios, they'd have more in the charts....could be dominating everything if they went all in on exclusives.

iHaunter

MLB The Show is the second best selling game of the year? I didn't see that coming. Are that many people buying it for full price on Xbox even when it's on GamePass?
Yes, same reason I still buy 4k Blu-Rays. I do like to own content.

For the smaller stuff, I do a GamePass sub once every few months to play. The real shock to me is that Miles Morales keeps selling as much as it does.

Bryank75

Banned
Zelda BOTW
Release date : March 3, 2017
Current MSRP : $59.99

A single player game, and still charting after 4 years on the market. It's truly the greatest of its kind
NHUxz2E.gif

Well deserved, Nintendo really stick with their exclusives and invest a lot of love and time. Really respect that.

You'll never see them put their games on PC. They stick by their principles and don't make their customers feel like they've been lied to.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Zelda BOTW
Release date : March 3, 2017
Current MSRP : $59.99

A single player game, and still charting after 4 years on the market. It's truly the greatest of its kind
NHUxz2E.gif
I mean it's kinda the only of the two AAA SP games on the Switch. This and Mario Odyssey. Not surprising. Hell I'm not a huge Switch fan and even I have 80+ hours into BOTW. Overall it's a decent game.

Bryank75

Banned
That would make sense. It's still impressive to see it up there though. You would think a smaller title like that wouldn't have such great legs.

Actually has a good bit of play in it. especially if you wanna plat it.... 2 playthroughs. Longer than R&C for me anyway.

Bryank75

Banned
Man, Nintendo is killing it. 8 games in the top 20, and they don't even count digital. Absolutely insane. The power of their IP is incredible.

The power of true exclusives and sticking with IP's for decades to build them up to be truly iconic.

They also don't mislead people saying the games are exclusive and then deciding to port them later.

Keeping the prices high only makes them truly high value titles.....

If they lowered the prices like other companies, it would damage the brands image too.

Actually has a good bit of play in it. especially if you wanna plat it.... 2 playthroughs. Longer than R&C for me anyway.

I'm definitely planning on picking up the complete package at some point. I already played through the first one but I don't mind going through it again with those PS5 upgrades. I definitely don't feel bad double dipping in an Insomniac game due to the great work the they do.

Well deserved, Nintendo really stick with their exclusives and invest a lot of love and time. Really respect that.

You'll never see them put their games on PC. They stick by their principles and don't make their customers feel like they've been lied to.

Cause they see mobile as a platform for growth.

Sony prefers pc which is far more preferable to me.

Bryank75

Banned
Cause they see mobile as a platform for growth.

Sony prefers pc which is far more preferable to me.

They have to make a choice... do they want to be a platform / console maker or a software / 3rd party.

If they want to be a platform / console company then putting games on PC is counter productive..... especially with only 13 studios and many of them not making anything that will sell to the mass market (Dreams, Astrobot, Concrete Genie etc)

They would need to buy Square or several smaller studios to have the scope to have enough content to have some unique content on PlayStation and then bring the majority to PC at a later point.

Right now it's only a handful of games they have to differentiate themselves and they are throwing that USP away, something that took decades to build up.

BlackM1st

Banned
The fuck lol

Imagine a 15yo buying a Zelda game and 5 years later he as a grown ass 20yo guy feels betrayed by a PC release. If that's what Nintendo customers looks like... Well... My condolences xD

Bryank75

Banned
The fuck lol

Imagine a 15yo buying a Zelda game and 5 years later he as a grown ass 20yo guy feels betrayed by a PC release. If that's what Nintendo customers looks like... Well... My condolences xD

Nah, they can be over 50 even. At this point in time.

Gaming has always had extreme loyalty among the fanbases and that shouldn't surprise anyone...it benefits the companies to have hardcore fans and to talk to them and throw them a frickin bone every now and then.

The fuck lol

nah, he's talking about the hidden psychology of consumer spending and the even more elusive psychology of intellectual property value perception. Nintendo are the masters of nurturing, and maintaining the value of their intellectual property. Absolutely 2nd to none. Compare the impact of Smash Bros. to the impact of Playstation All-Stars. 20 years of Playstation IP building doesn't really add up to a ton in the end.

Having Nintendo games stay on Nintendo systems obviously plays a role in their perception of value. Having the price stabilized without plummeting 90% in 4 months helps consumers feel like their purchase makes more sense. Having the games maintain a consistently high level of quality builds trust, etc. Not all consumer psychology is purely rational, but we see the undeniable effects of Nintendo's approach working for them.

NickFire

MLB The Show is the second best selling game of the year? I didn't see that coming. Are that many people buying it for full price on Xbox even when it's on GamePass?
Advancing more than one runner at a time is still a mystery to me, but overall it is a finely tuned and damned pretty game of baseball.

Bryank75

Banned
nah, he's talking about the hidden psychology of consumer spending and the even more elusive psychology of intellectual property value perception. Nintendo are the masters of nurturing, and maintaining the value of their intellectual property. Absolutely 2nd to none. Compare the impact of Smash Bros. to the impact of Playstation All-Stars. 20 years of Playstation IP building doesn't really add up to a ton in the end.

Having Nintendo games stay on Nintendo systems obviously plays a role in their perception of value. Having the price stabilized without plummeting 90% in 4 months helps consumers feel like their purchase makes more sense. Having the games maintain a consistently high level of quality builds trust, etc. Not all consumer psychology is purely rational, but we see the undeniable effects of Nintendo's approach working for them.

Thank god someone understands my points and can articulate them as well as you just did.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
PlayStation highest dollar sales for consoles.

MLB second highest selling game of the year.

R&C and Miles Morales in the top half of the charts.

If Sony had more studios, they'd have more in the charts....could be dominating everything if they went all in on exclusives.
Doesn't Sony have like 13 first party studios?

noshten

I'm guessing Monster Hunter Stories 2 has already surpassed Capcom's forecasted lifetime sales of 1.5 million. They are having one hell of an year so far, really interesting to know more about their upcoming Resident Evil Switch game.

Top Bottom